Options

Ashamed to be Canadian....

Comments

• compuease wrote: »
    Warren Buffet isn't part of the 1%?
    darbday wrote: »
    not eactly sure.....but I don't really call him a millionaire....

???
    errr. the third richest man in the world.. something like 50 billion in assets.. so no, not really a millionaire. :) (I'm 4th) :bs:
    darbday wrote: »
    yes but they certainly aren't the focus here...

we are talking about people with enough money and power to tell a people they no longer have access to water....they have to pay for it...with money not invented......this kind of 1%

not america's top wage earners.....

Are you alluding to something like the one world order folks?
  • darbday wrote: »
    we are talking about people with enough money and power to tell a people they no longer have access to water....they have to pay for it...with money not invented......this kind of 1%

not america's top wage earners.....

So.. like.. the top 1% of the 1%?
    Warren Buffet isn't part of the 1%?
    did not see a list names that were on the march in the article...so i didn't include him in it as he is a billionaire.....

and it definitely affirms in the video that the rich pay a less % of taxes....

not to grey the issue but....paying less taxing makes you richer.....everyone has a right to pay less taxes....the rich are just better at finding and using those loop holes....so they have more earning power on their dollar...

its not the laws its the system......stiffer laws on the rich are just laughable to them...they will just continue to avoid them through legal loopholes....

but ya im all about the kind of message hes sending...
    errr. the third richest man in the world.. something like 50 billion in assets.. so no, not really a millionaire. :) (I'm 4th) :bs:

Are you alluding to something like the one world order folks?
    haaaaaaaaaaaa forgot i responded already

um the world order folks...no im referring to water rights that are being taking from people in this world today....what is happening...not gonna say its the 'world order' what ever..
  • So.. like.. the top 1% of the 1%?
    no what i meant was not working class Americans....even top earning working class....but i was listening to the video in comps article and realized theres an interview with warren buffet....

but certainly when some one came up with the number 1% it was a symbol not an actual calculation...
  • Look Darb, I don't think we (you and I at least) are that far apart in what we think is wrong with the world, it's just that we differ in our opinions on how to fix it.
    We both agree that too much money and thus power is in the hands of too few. In fact I think that most of us here "probably" agree on that.

I do know that just tearing it all down and starting from scratch is not the way. Proponents of a flat tax system are certainly on the right track imo, however that would not solve the power issue...
    Proponents of a flat tax system are certainly on the right track imo, however that would not solve the power issue...

Flat tax is BS. I don't understand why it's so hard to say that those that have benefited most from our economic system should put a higher percentage back into it? Of course the first step should be filling the stupid loopholes.

Elizabeth Warren on Debt Crisis, Fair Taxation - YouTube
    Look Darb, I don't think we (you and I at least) are that far apart in what we think is wrong with the world, it's just that we differ in our opinions on how to fix it.
    I'm not sure how to fix it....you've asked me time and again....im not implying anarchy or this or that....im simple cleary saying what we have will never work and can't ever work by definition.......

or if i do have a solution its simply for everyone to be on the same page and simultaneously agree....we created a terrible world that needs great change....

thats it...its kinda of like awareness will set us free.....

compuease wrote: »
    We both agree that too much money and this power is in the hands of to few. In fact I think that most of us here "probably" agree on that.
    not full out arguing this but...i think the money created this power....
    compuease wrote: »
    I do know that just tearing it all down and starting from scratch is not the way. Proponents of a flat tax system are certainly on the right track imo, however that would not solve the power issue...
    tearing it down instantly or whatever is not what I'm implying....we know we can't do that....but we can admit that it can't work...with out tearing it down. we can't let a fear of not having a solution stop us from admitting what is so obvious.

in this world a flat tax is impossible.....we have a flat tax....what i mean is we all get taxed with the same law....yet 2 men who make the same income pay different taxes depending on how smart he is about it......the smart people....get richer....or the richer pay smart people to help them....and so on....

I don't have a solution other than the collective simultaneous awareness and acceptance of the inevitable corruption of our system. Thats the solution and its not concrete but it is real.....and I think valid......and obvious..
  • So.. after having a friend explain things to me, I kind of understand the protest in the US. Namely, the rich don't get taxed a lot, education is expensive, high cost of healthcare.. basically the rest of the population feels screwed. Fair enough.

What's the deal with the protests in Canada? Rich get taxed more, education is cheap, and universal healthcare. Seems like less of a base to stand on.
  • Of course the first step should be filling the stupid loopholes.

lol, since I started working for myself not sure I want to fill ALL of the loopholes.. ;)
  • So.. after having a friend explain things to me, I kind of understand the protest in the US. Namely, the rich don't get taxed a lot, education is expensive, high cost of healthcare.. basically the rest of the population feels screwed. Fair enough.

What's the deal with the protests in Canada? Rich get taxed more, education is cheap, and universal healthcare. Seems like less of a base to stand on.

There are those that believe our system is unfair too, but the majority here are copycats and some sympathizers with the US movement.

people in other countries are being slaughtered as we speak. people are born into famine disease and nothingness. no hope no chance. war is rampant on this earth and nuclear war is inevitable.

I can go on....but I really think like others you (however I have no idea how you think so take that lightly lightly lightly) look at these people as complainers.....but i think youll find the leaders and the shakers of this movement are highly intelligent people. And when I say intelligent I mean the are in tune with the atrocious that are going on around the word...

its about mankind not toronto....but in order to facilitate everyone....each city or whatever get to add their own personal issues....

If as a Japanese person I cry outrage because of unsanitary conditions.....
    Or as a Brazilian I want a more accountable government....
    Or at OWall street We want healthcare...
    Or in Canada we want a future for our homeless..
    Or in South africa we want food.....

Are we really asking for different things?
  • There are those that believe our system is unfair too, but the majority here are copycats and some sympathizers with the US movement.
    no...i don't think so....i think the majority believe we can change the world..
    lol, since I started working for myself not sure I want to fill ALL of the loopholes.. ;)
    HES ONE OF THEEEEEEM!!!!!!!!!!!! >:D>:D>:D>:D>:D

but ya the loopholes can't be filled....about taxing the rich harder....i have to think about that....
  • There are those that believe our system is unfair too, but the majority here are copycats and some sympathizers with the US movement.

Ditto.... At least here in Canada (maybe to a lesser extent in the US) I certainly believe that anyone with desire, drive and a modicum of intelligence can aquire a level of asset/income to live a very comfortable life. Anyone who says they are deprived and disadvantaged are either lazy or lacking in intelligence.. I believe my problem is the former.. ;)
    HES ONE OF THEEEEEEM!!!!!!!!!!!! >:D>:D>:D>:D>:D

oops, unclothed....
    Ditto.... At least here in Canada (maybe to a lesser extent in the US) I certainly believe that anyone with desire, drive and a modicum of intelligence can aquire a level of asset/income to live a very comfortable life. Anyone who says they are deprived and disadvantaged are either lazy or lacking in intelligence.. I believe my problem is the former.. ;)

Not entirely true. I have seen so many instances in my life of "it's not what you know but who you know" when it comes to getting jobs and climbing "corporate ladders". But yes, the ease of acquisition would be less in the US.
  • Darb, in one of your last posts you mentioned that in so many places in the world people are born into abject poverty and hopelessness. If that is what the occupy movements mission is to protest about then I would 100% support them. However I do not think that changing that is the purpose, at least from what I have heard. I do not doubt that is what you would like it to be but they sure aren't claiming it. The Arab spring certainly has more altruistic goals, however the Canadian protesters are not making that their mission so I do not support them.
    The Canadian protesters come across as spoiled brats no matter what you say about them... Perhaps they need a better pr department?
  • Not entirely true. I have seen so many instances in my life of "it's not what you know but who you know" when it comes to getting jobs and climbing "corporate ladders". But yes, the ease of acquisition would be less in the US.
    If that happens to you, and of course it can, then change course, find another way. That is part of the desire and drive..
    no...i don't think so....i think the majority believe we can change the world..

Sorry dude, I hate to burst your bubble but the overall theme of the protests are not first and foremost about changing the world into a fairer place. It started at Wall St. for a reason. It is about the shit the big banks get away with. Drilling wells in third world countries is not a big theme.
    Darb, in one of your last posts you mentioned that in so many places in the world people are born into abject poverty and hopelessness. If that is what the occupy movements mission is to protest about then I would 100% support them. However I do not think that changing that is the purpose, at least from what I have heard. I do not doubt that is what you would like it to be but they sure aren't claiming it. The Arab spring certainly has more altruistic goals, however the Canadian protesters are not making that their mission so I do not support them.
    The Canadian protesters come across as spoiled brats no matter what you say about them... Perhaps they need a better pr department?
    its is....i don't want be (i don't know the word im looking for).....but its likely youve just been talking to your peers about it. I say that because its what most people believe but its certainly not what is going on. Probably it comes because OWS didn't realize the world would catch on.....but now...they are having global webinars with each movement discussing the creation of global human rights....

and yes theres prob people at your protest that are spoiled....but they still no doubt support the global cause

need a better pr department will happen...im sure..but really i think that the rest of the world is still uncomfortable with this size of change....

also that the media blacked a lot of it out in the early stages

but i can assure you....at this point....each city is a candle....that has joined the movement towards global human rights...but also the each cities individual message towards itself...is being validated as well....

edit: and it relates to HM's post.....most of these smaller inner city complaints are related to the the world issues......that is they are either the root or a branch of the same issue...
  • Sorry dude, I hate to burst your bubble but the overall theme of the protests are not first and foremost about changing the world into a fairer place. It started at Wall St. for a reason. It is about the shit the big banks get away with. Drilling wells in third world countries is not a big theme.
    the big banks fund those projects.....???
    people in other countries are being slaughtered as we speak. people are born into famine disease and nothingness. no hope no chance. war is rampant on this earth and nuclear war is inevitable.
    Is this really what the movement is about for the majority of protestors in Canada or is this just your own stance of what you think the protest should accomplish? I just haven't heard these issues being brought up in public and you're the first person I've heard talk about them. Obviously global poverty and human rights violations in third world countries are important issues but I didn't realize that that was what this protest was about.
    I can go on....but I really think like others you (however I have no idea how you think so take that lightly lightly lightly) look at these people as complainers.....but i think youll find the leaders and the shakers of this movement are highly intelligent people. And when I say intelligent I mean the are in tune with the atrocious that are going on around the word...
    Who are the leaders of the movement? Again, if the guy in that youtube video is representative, I'm not impressed. The only reason I would consider them complainers is that's really all they're doing. They're complaining that something isn't right (there really isn't even a consensus on what they're upset about) and they're not trying to come up with solutions.
    If as a Japanese person I cry outrage because of unsanitary conditions.....
    Or as a Brazilian I want a more accountable government....
    Or at OWall street We want healthcare...
    Or in Canada we want a future for our homeless..
    Or in South africa we want food.....

Are we really asking for different things?
    So what is it that you want? The Canadian government to raise taxes on the rich here to provide more global social support?
    If that happens to you, and of course it can, then change course, find another way. That is part of the desire and drive..

The unfair side of it never happened to me. I had the great fortune to be born into a family business where I ended up as part owner/operator for most of my life. Recently when our family got out of business I had handfuls of offers of employment from friends and acquaintances who knew my situation regardless of my knowledge or background in these new arenas.

"Changing course", and "finding another way" is much easier said than done and, believe it or not, sometimes is impossible.
    the big banks fund those projects.....???

No.

Corporations will fund them in the rare instance that there is money to be made.

Most of those projects are funded by charities and/or governmental support.
  • Is this really what the movement is about for the majority of protestors in Canada or is this just your own stance of what you think the protest should accomplish? I just haven't heard these issues being brought up in public and you're the first person I've heard talk about them. Obviously global poverty and human rights violations in third world countries are important issues but I didn't realize that that was what this protest was about.
    you'll agree in a few days...remember when it started there was no real message...i mean there actually was...but it wasn't the central point...nonetheless the movement has gown and so has the issues it encompasses....but I can assure that daily these movements are discussing global human rights on the net.....

Who are the leaders of the movement? .
    your thinking in terms of elected officials....a leader will be someone who takes charge or accepts responsibility etc. Or even the 80 year old female protester who probably purposefully got pepper-sprayed because she knew the seattle (right city?) council and police would have hell to pay with the people.

Again, if the guy in that youtube video is representative, I'm not impressed. .
    Really? He started this debate....prob many others too.
    So what is it that you want? The Canadian government to raise taxes on the rich here to provide more global social support?
    I ve been asked this before, sort of, and i give an answer and I get jumped on for answering....but i don't personally want anything....I support the movement but still as an outsider....im not an occupier I just get it....

{But an answer to your question} I want people to admit government is always corrupt and taxes are never fair. {End Answer}

and there is no implication there that we need to end government or taxes or have anarchy.....i mean it might imply it to you...but im not trying to imply that....
  • "Changing course", and "finding another way" is much easier said than done and, believe it or not, sometimes is impossible.
    thank you. or amen or whatever...

if we are ahead in this world...we are fortunate....
  • No.

Corporations will fund them in the rare instance that there is money to be made.

Most of those projects are funded by charities and/or governmental support.
    no...thats not how money works....its how we think it works.....in truth these charities and these governments go to the banks to get funding...
    no...thats not how money works....its how we think it works.....in truth these charities and these governments go to the banks to get funding...

Link please.
  • Link please.

When a business or a corporation or whomever decides to 'fund' a project....where do they go to get the loan to pay for it....the business does the work...the bank provides the money.....which is why they get paid.

I don't need a link right?