CPF Golf/Poker Tourney Ideas

Comments

• compuease wrote: »
    I'm good to go, now how are we going to combine the golf and poker? Is there some combined game we can play? I've never done it but know some do... By the way I'm not a very good golfer, or poker player either for that matter..... Can I get a handicap?

LOL I smell a RINGER.

My goals for August 1st are (in no specific order)

Consume less than 24 beers
    Lose no more than 12 golf balls
    Shoot 100 or better
    Keep my cursing down to a mild hellmuth like setting
    Not to be the 1st eliminated in the poker game.
  • I can stop by and say hi to everyone at some point...just won't be in for the golf part.
  • Voodoo wrote: »
    LOL I smell a RINGER.

My goals for August 1st are (in no specific order)

Consume less than 24 beers
    Lose no more than 12 golf balls
    Shoot 100 or better
    Keep my cursing down to a mild hellmuth like setting
    Not to be the 1st eliminated in the poker game.

I like the goal orientation you set for yourself Voodoo...here are mine

Consume MORE than 24 beers (its been a LONG times since I got loaded, and Darryl knows where I live so he can drive and dump in my street if need be)
    Lose no more than 6 balls...been doing pretty good lately actually, guess it all depends on the first goal
    Keep my cursing UP to the Hellmuth level, again, depends on the first goal
    Not to pass out before the poker tournament
  • AJ, if you want a lift, say the word. Plenty of room in the Cube.

Not sure about space for hauling tables though . . .

Oh, and as for my goals:

Play 18 and score close to 100 (first round of the year for me).
    Consume beer.
    Play poker.

I find that, when you set the bar low, it's easier to clear . . .
  • I'll behave myself...getting too old to get THAT drunk anymore anyway. Sides, I can slide a couple of tables in my Blazer easily, just need to get ahold of Bill and tell him I'll be picking up the cash table
  • No problem. but I think your time estimate of when we'll finish our round might be a tad optimistic. If we're starting at 1:00, I think we'll be lucky to be off by 6:00 p.m.
  • Have to be playing pretty slow to NOT finish Mayfield in 4 hours. Especially if they plunk us on the BLUE 9...wide open and you just sail through.
  • OK. I ordered 8 Weekend Green Fees Tickets and 4 Cart Tickets. So we are set to go. The are being dropped off to me tomorrow.
  • Thanks for stepping up for this Voodoo! Great to see it getting off the ground

See you all on the 1st!
    OK. I ordered 8 Weekend Green Fees Tickets and 4 Cart Tickets. So we are set to go. The are being dropped off to me tomorrow.

Did you pre pay this?

If so you said FT/PS, or cash?
  • Hey Voodoo...I'm just going to drop by at wherever poker is taking place that night and give you your shirt then. I didn't get a chance to ship it out this weekend, was too busy.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Did you pre pay this?

If so you said FT/PS, or cash?

Yeah I used some credit I had with a barter company that mayfield is a member of so all 8 passes and carts are now paid for.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Hey Voodoo...I'm just going to drop by at wherever poker is taking place that night and give you your shirt then. I didn't get a chance to ship it out this weekend, was too busy.

Hey Wes, will you be around this week in T.O at all? The shirt is part of a 30th bday gift for a buddy who's a huge Kobe fan and his bday part is this Saturday. Let me know, I'll meet up somewhere if so.
    Hey Wes, will you be around this week in T.O at all? The shirt is part of a 30th bday gift for a buddy who's a huge Kobe fan and his bday part is this Saturday. Let me know, I'll meet up somewhere if so.

I'll be back by Wednesday. I can meet up with you probably anytime Wed/Friday, Thursday I'll be downtown at the Jays game.
    OK. I ordered 8 Weekend Green Fees Tickets and 4 Cart Tickets. So we are set to go. The are being dropped off to me tomorrow.

So there are two foursomes? Cool. Let the trash talk, and inevitable prop bets begin. I am soooo looking forward to playing some Whack-Fuck. See you all on the first.

Carm, do not have Stars or Tilt $$$ to forward to you. Are you OK with cash the day of? PM me if you want it sooner, and we can make arrangements.
  • Milo wrote: »
    So there are two foursomes? Cool. Let the trash talk, and inevitable prop bets begin. I am soooo looking forward to playing some Whack-Fuck. See you all on the first.

Carm, do not have Stars or Tilt $$$ to forward to you. Are you OK with cash the day of? PM me if you want it sooner, and we can make arrangements.

Day of is cool Milo.. If a couple other ship tilt/stars it may save me from reloading LOL.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    I'll be back by Wednesday. I can meet up with you probably anytime Wed/Friday, Thursday I'll be downtown at the Jays game.

Cool I'll get down there for one of those 3 days for sure. Thanks again man.
  • Disclaimer: I have never played a golf/poker combination before so this might seem pretty obvious.

My suggestions for golf/poker combination would be to have bonus addon chips for completing certain tasks on the course. These tasks can be for good shots (ie birdie), for bad shots (ie in the water), or ugly shots (ie off the beer cart). This way everyone has a chance to get some bonus chips.

I would recommend that the maximum bonus would be 25% of the original starting stack so that noone gets heavily outstacked at the start. If we start with 10000 then the bonuses could be for 100-300 chips depending on how good/bad/ugly your shots are.

I can start compiling a more detailed list which can be changed with additional suggestions. Here’s a few off the top of my head:

GOOD
    birdie
    hole out from off the green
    drive 275+ in the fairway

BAD
    drive onto another fairway
    shot in the water
    shot in the bunker
    don’t drive past the forward tees

UGLY?
    use one club for an entire hole (not for a par 3 hole)

Duane

P.S. I can ship P*
    P.P.S. Jeff, I can pick you up in Milton. We'll figure out details later.
  • Quimby wrote: »

GOOD
    birdie
    hole out from off the green
    drive 275+ in the fairway

BAD
    drive onto another fairway
    shot in the water
    shot in the bunker
    don’t drive past the forward tees

UGLY?
    use one club for an entire hole (not for a par 3 hole)

Just a couple of questions
    What's a 'birdie'?
    275yrd IN the fairway?? NICE FREAKING DRIVE!

Looks like I'm going to end up OWING a second stack at the end of the golf round with all those BAD penalities

And there's no rule in golf saying you can't use the putter FOR EVERY SHOT!
  • Nice. I like those idea's. I suck at golf but the chance of actually winning one of these props will keep me motivated for the full 18. LOL
  • If I may be so bold, I would put forth the following:

We use the Ching Hill structure for starting stacks, and blind schedule, so everyone starts with 1,500 in chips.

The golf will allow add-ons and take-aways under the following conditions:
    No player will start with LESS than 1,500 in chips, and no player can accumulate more than 500 chips in add-ons. Take-aways and add-ons will accrue for the entire round, so it is possible to have a negative balance during the round. For example, a triple bogey on the first will put a player at -20. If no add-ons are made by this player his starting stack is 1,500.

Take-aways will occur for the following:
    Double bogey = -10 chips
    Triple bogey = -20 chips
    Other = -30 chips
    Water/bunker = -5 chips

Add-ons will be accrued for the following
    225+ yards in the fairway = +10 chips
    Green in regulation = +10 chips
    Par (We'll explain it, AJ) = +20 chips
    Birdie (Explain it to me) = +30 chips
    Par 5 green in 2 shots = +40 chips

There will also be special bonus add-ons:

Hole out your chip/bunker shot = +25
    Par with one club (no par 3's) = +40
    Ace = 1 FREE REBUY
    Eagle (non-Par 3) = +500

Mulligans will cost 25 chips (i.e. a player with 225 bonus chips may spend 25 to take a Mulligan)
    Low round will be awarded 50 chips. But you have to at least make an attempt at honesty to win this, as it will be judged by your fellow competitors. (LOL)

Feel free to modify, but I think this is a fair smattering of rewards for both power and finesse. It also allows for some silly stuff, just for shiggles.
  • Any format is fine with me as I doubt i'll remember any of it after the 3rd hole. LOL
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    1pm start, should be done by 4:30/5pm...quick bite for dinner somewhere then off to poker? sounds good to me, and Graham can make it out too...if he can remember to set his alarm for 11am that is

Hahaha.. thanks, yes I will need to set the alarm.
    Voodoo wrote: »
    You need to see the girls he hangs with first to understand why he sleeps in late :)

Hahaa... thanks Carm, but reality is I wish I hung out with more hot girls.
    Any format is fine with me as I doubt i'll remember any of it after the 3rd hole. LOL

I should point out here that Mayfield is a DRY course...they have no Cart Girl coming out to you, nor do they allow ( I believe) alcohol on the links themselves. I could be wrong, but any alcohol is to be consumed in the 19th hole only.
  • Damn that sounds like alot of fun :(
  • Graham wrote: »
    Hahaha.. thanks, yes I will need to set the alarm.

Hahaa... thanks Carm, but reality is I wish I hung out with more hot girls.

That's the thing.. you sleep late to make sure the "thing" left before you wake up... works all the time, except once when she was making breakfest... awkward moment that was...
  • BTW the digital camera is being charged and has an empty memory card.

This TR will be illustrated.
  • Nothing you do could POSSIBLY be worse than the picture of . . . uh . . . my friend, yeah, my friend wearing neon pink, orange, and yellow, Zubaz pants while golfing in Vermont. His wife told me about it.
  • Are we playing the rule that if your drive doesn't get past the ladies tee your next shot is with your pants at your ankles?
    Are we playing the rule that if your drive doesn't get past the ladies tee your next shot is with your pants at your ankles?

If you make sure the Marshalls dont' see you, why not? But those old farts will most likely have a heart attack!