CPF Golf/Poker Tourney Ideas

There seems to be some interest around regarding a forum poker/golf tournament. I think perhaps the best way to approach this is to list some ideas/concerns/potential problems here to see if we can come up with something that will suit as many people as possible.

Here is where we should post......
- interest
- possible locations
- preferred/max costs
- potential formats
- other stuff I'm not thinking of right now.

I'm giddy just thinking of the possibilities.

Comments

• Very interested

Concerns;
    Location - someplace central to GTA and Waterloo Region ideally I think
    Cost - no secret the courses in the GTA are higher price
    Prizes - have a few thoughts for this, but hoping others can get donations
    Timing - sometime in late June, weather is normally nicer, but thinking an early morning round to be completely finished by all by around 2pm
    Poker would start at 5 or 6, make it a $50 freezeout event. I can bring a couple of tables as well as TD on laptop to help out as well

Between golf and poker, including prizes, I'm thinking max cost of $100 to $140 per player. Cheaper would be better obviously, but alot depends on course fees.
  • Thanks for starting it off AJ.

I also think a central location is best. Too bad there seems to be a real golf wasteland between K-W and TO. If there is a Clublink member among us, Blue Springs would be a fantastic locale for golf with the centre of the poker universe (Milton for compuease) right nearby. Another very nice spot is Osprey Valley near Orangeville which would likely be a bit cheaper golf but a bit more out of the way.

Cost for me isn't a big issue but I was also thinking $125-$150 seems reasonable.
  • I've posted on TGN for advise as well, so we'll see what happens. I'm getting that old familiar twinge of excitement again though.

Osprey is nice, but pricey, but with three links available, I don't think it would be hard to find a good tee time package. Never played Blue Springs, Jeff any thoughts?

First things first though, we need to know how many are interested in this. I'm thinking we can make it fly VERY well with 20+, but make a stab at 10 to 15 as well.

I'll create a post for signups...see where it leads.
  • CPF GOLF AND POKER TOURNAMENT EVENT!!

Signup by posting, and I'll update this list to gauge interest.

1 - STR82ACE
    2 - Hellmouth's Mole
    3 - Compuease
    4 - Wetts1012
    5 - JohnnieH
    6 - Buzzzard
    7 - BBC_Z
    8 - Quimby
    9 - Graham
    10 - Milo
    11 - Hork42
    12 -
    13 -
    14 -
    15 -
    16 -
    17 -
    18 -
    19 -
    20 -
  • Well for the poker part, I could most likely get the community center where we held RC1 many years ago... Cost is minimal, I think it's either $50 or $60. It holds up to about 60 ppl easily.

Hornby Glen could be a consideration, very close to 401 at Trafalgar Rd. Not sure on costs but I believe its reasonable...

Hornby Glen Golf Course

And count me in.....
  • Im in.

Mystic Ridge in Oakville is a great course @ reasonable prices, which not alot of people seem to know about.

Booking in advance Im sure we could get prime time for 20-30 people.

Not far from Milton either....

edited by Jeff to give link... I've played there before as well.. Pretty decent, but keep in mind it's an executive layout (par 63) I think

Oakville Executive Golf
  • I've sent inquiry emails to both places so far. Any other links which might be interested?
  • Although I'll be on vacation in late June, count me as interested.
  • Interested in both, and willing to play anywhere. Might not be able to though, as I may be in for surgery on my hand in the near future. Do not bother putting me down just yet.
  • Merryhill puts on a nice tourney. I've used them several times in the past. Also Beaverdale is pretty receptive for tourney's, I've also used them a few times, although it isn't what I would call a nice course but maybe it's been improved. Oh just thought of Riverside which is dead central to KW. A very nice 9 hole course.

I think we need buzzardd or 800over to chime in on this one. 800over ran the last cpf golf/poker thingy.
  • moose wrote: »
    Merryhill puts on a nice tourney. I've used them several times in the past. Also Beaverdale is pretty receptive for tourney's, I've also used them a few times, although it isn't what I would call a nice course but maybe it's been improved. Oh just thought of Riverside which is dead central to KW. A very nice 9 hole course.

I think we need buzzardd or 800over to chime in on this one. 800over ran the last cpf golf/poker thingy.

Do you mean Rivers Edge? Very nice nine holer but not central to K-W and GTA.
  • Here's another one that is reasonable about 15 min sw of Milton... Haven't played it in a while..

Carlisle Golf and Country Club
  • I will most likely be out of the country from end of June to end of August... if it is not during those dates I will definitely make it.
  • Depending on the date, I would be interested in playing.

For a central location, try Springfield or Victoria Park East in Guelph. Both courses are always in great shape and reasonably priced.
  • Chris, talk to Brad about tee times and prices at Rebel. I am sure he would fix you up. I would gladly have the poker at my place after.
  • If you are looking at dates, I vote for June 20th.
  • Can I participate in only the golf side?
  • I am interested in both but will have to confirm once a final date is set.
  • Still waiting to hear back on a few links, but a lot of good suggestions already. I think the problem is going to be firming up a decent day, Saturday is going to be a tough day to get on this close to the end of June. But I'll see who has what available, and a price range, and post in a couple of days or so.

Right now, I'm informing the courses a group of about 20 or so, but telling them it could be higher depending on the interest levels we get.

Umm, I assume a DRY course is NOT an option, huh?
  • I think you can probably count me in.
  • Hork42 wrote: »
    I think you can probably count me in.

I was wondering if this would get you to post here again.

How you been Hork??
  • STR82ACE wrote: »

Umm, I assume a DRY course is NOT an option, huh?

Do these even exist?
  • Believe it or not, yes, at least one that I know of anyway (Mayfield), and I believe you can expect to see more and more courses going that route over the next year or two.
  • Merryhill FTW! I second moose's nomination (but don't put me on the list).

/g2
  • Please put me down as interested. Thanks.
  • I would be down for this, but will need to hit the course a few times before I'm willing to commit to save myself some embarrassment. Been a couple of years since I've touched a club.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    I would be down for this, but will need to hit the course a few times before I'm willing to commit to save myself some embarrassment. Been a couple of years since I've touched a club.

Stop going to Vegas so we can play some weekend!

I'm in if it's June 20.
  • Haven't had a lot of time to look into this so far, but I did get one response from Hornby. I'll keep trying though and see what I can find. May not be in June, seems tourney dates are pretty much cherry picked already, but I'll see what's available.
  • Deer Creek may not be bad also.. they do a lot of tournaments and usually have some decent deals.

Deer Creek Golf Courses and Banquet Facility, Ajax Durham Ontario
  • id be down, not a great golfer but love to play anyways.... keep me posted with dates and such