Dead Pool IV - the return of Zsa Zsa

Comments

• Wow you guys took something very very cool and fun and made it pretty lame.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Wow you guys took something very very cool and fun and made it pretty lame.

How would you change things? Just wondering. Not trying to be an asshole. I really want your thoughts on this. It should be a fun thing, and it was.
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    I figured, but wanted to point out that wiki is not a good tool to determine if "commonly known"

Wiki is not the only criteria. And we're not looking for "commonly known." What we need is celebrity or notoriety. The fact that she is in the Guiness Book of World Records should be notoriety enough to be a valid pick IMO. Plus, when she dies she will warrant an obit in various news sources like the New York Times, etc.

There have been more than a few valid picks this year that have not been "commonly known."
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Wiki is not the only criteria. And we're not looking for "commonly known." What we need is celebrity or notoriety. The fact that she is in the Guiness Book of World Records should be notoriety enough to be a valid pick IMO. Plus, when she dies she will warrant an obit in various news sources like the New York Times, etc.

There have been more than a few valid picks this year that have not been "commonly known."

So is she a fair game pick?

She was picked this year.

I'm not grasping all the rules.
  • How would you change things? Just wondering. Not trying to be an asshole. I really want your thoughts on this. It should be a fun thing, and it was.

I would give everyone the right to veto any choices prior to go live based on the fact that they've never heard of them, 1 person has never heard of a selection, that selection is out - no bitching.

This way you get more Bieber, and less victim number 2 from csi episode 81.

This way you get more fun choices, and less I wikid the oldest person in the world.

More awesome, and less lame.

Likely less winners tho, but that makes it more important when you hit the jackpot.

I would also set an age limit.
  • Plus you're an asshole.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I would give everyone the right to veto any choices prior to go live based on the fact that they've never heard of them, 1 person has never heard of a selection, that selection is out - no bitching.

This way you get more Bieber, and less victim number 2 from csi episode 81.

This way you get more fun choices, and less I wikid the oldest person in the world.

More awesome, and less lame.

Likely less winners tho, but that makes it more important when you hit the jackpot.

I would also set an age limit.

Then you'd have one guy who has never heard of anyone on a particular list. Punish a player for another's ignorance is not the way to go. It has to be a consensus not a single veto.

There are a lot of picks this year that I have never heard of until I googled them. Just because I never heard of them doesn't make them invalid.

I think the key word here is "notable." Check out this link. I wouldn't say all of those people are commonly known by everyone, yet I would consider them all valid picks.

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/obituaries/index.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

I think the key word here is "notable." Check out this link. I wouldn't say all of those people are commonly known by everyone, yet I would consider them all valid picks.

Obituaries - The New York Times

Yeah, that's a prime example of what I don't like. I like "celebrity" death pools. (Yes, I fully expect a lightning bolt through the roof in the next few minutes)

BTW I'm out. No op-ed here, just FYI.
  • Yeah, that's a prime example of what I don't like. I like "celebrity" death pools. (Yes, I fully expect a lightning bolt through the roof in the next few minutes)

So, only celebrities like you would see on TMZ?
  • I'm a lazy guy, I'd do it like this

"Who's in the dead pool" - get everyone in, random number generate from 1-->x (x=players)

Draft people

Assign an arbitrator (not in the game), reviews the list of ten celebs, they decide if qualify as a celeb (they don't have to necessarily know them, compuease for example going "Who's this PSY guy" looks him up, and agrees, sure he's a celeb). Arbitrator also verifies reports of person's demise within 24 hours of being PM'd, payments are made within the week.

All players abide by arbitrators decision

EZ game

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I'm a lazy guy, I'd do it like this

"Who's in the dead pool" - get everyone in, random number generate from 1-->x (x=players)

Draft people

Assign an arbitrator (not in the game), reviews the list of ten celebs, they decide if qualify as a celeb (they don't have to necessarily know them, compuease for example going "Who's this PSY guy" looks him up, and agrees, sure he's a celeb). Arbitrator also verifies reports of person's demise within 24 hours of being PM'd, payments are made within the week.

All players abide by arbitrators decision

EZ game

Mark

This might be the second time I have ever agreed with you..(first in public forum)... But yeah, this game doesn't have to be difficult...simple rules like "no oldest anything" are fine...but don't get crazy..we all..ok, most of us...have shit to do other than try to sort what type of celebs...etc..
  • DennisG wrote: »
    This might be the second time I have ever agreed with you..(first in public forum)...

Huh..

You should try being right more often.. it's fun... what did we agree on before? What did we not agree on?

Mark
  • Make a list of 10 old ppl

I'm talking ppl like don cherry , a couple old cunts from golden girls, bob barker and like hockey guys like gordie Howe and boom u hot urself a sick sweat... If everyone did that, when someone croaks it's legit bragworthy

I understand it takes some of the strategy away...

I suggest we treat this like a hyper... Look down, see a solid pick and let it rip

Too complicated / serious nowadays
  • Yeah, that's a prime example of what I don't like. I like "celebrity" death pools. (Yes, I fully expect a lightning bolt through the roof in the next few minutes)

Mole what about zsa zsa tho? Ur gonna be bitter when shes gone lol
  • costanza wrote: »
    Make a list of 10 old ppl

I'm talking ppl like don cherry , a couple old cunts from golden girls, bob barker and like hockey guys like gordie Howe and boom u hot urself a sick sweat... If everyone did that, when someone croaks it's legit bragworthy

I understand it takes some of the strategy away...

I suggest we treat this like a hyper... Look down, see a solid pick and let it rip

Too complicated / serious nowadays

What's this "we"? Or are you back in, now?

Most of what you folks are bitching about are what "the rules" simply clarify . . . don't like it, don't play. EZ game.
    Not by this year's rules
    kwsteve wrote: »
    Which caused some complaint among the players . . .
    Jacen299 wrote: »
    I'm not grasping all the rules.
    Which ones are giving you trouble?

I find it curious that the majority of people complaining are not even playing. The folks involved do not seem to mind (Mole excepted).
  • Milo wrote: »
    I find it curious that the majority of people complaining are not even playing.

No, I mind. If you're not in the Pool then shut the fuck up.

We were forced into making changes to the rules this year b/c of the angle shooting that occurred. Not because we are 'lame'

IMO, The GBoWR is NOT a legitimate source for picks. I hate the idea of someone having notoriety just because they lived the longest or have the World's Longest Penis. Who gives a shit?

A CELEBRITY must have done something substantial to warrant their FAME. Thats why we have categories for picks. (Like Music or Politics) The easiest way avoid somebody making a questionable pick is too eliminate the 'misc' category.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »

We were forced into making changes to the rules this year b/c of the angle shooting that occurred. Not because we are 'lame'

IMO, The GBoWR is NOT a legitimate source for picks. I hate the idea of someone having notoriety just because they lived the longest or have the World's Longest Penis. Who gives a shit?

A CELEBRITY must have done something substantial to warrant their FAME. Thats why we have categories for picks. (Like Music or Politics) The easiest way avoid somebody making a questionable pick is too eliminate the 'misc' category.

but... I rail the love affair with JohnnieH and ZSA ZSA

Milton Slim;)
    Not by this year's rules

I find it curious that the majority of people complaining are not even playing. The folks involved do not seem to mind (Mole excepted).

I'd wager many aren't in because it's become too much effort / complication.

Well, myself at least.

Mark
    Not by this year's rules

Don't the rules say can't pick oldest people? I googled that besse name came up and she is eligible?

I don't see in the rules where it sats how many rounds the draft goes.

My comments are not complaints. I plan on entering. Zsa zsa top of my list. How is the draft order determined?
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I'd wager many aren't in because it's become too much effort / complication.

Well, myself at least.

Mark

I don't necessarily think we're losing many for this reason. Some for sure, but I'm sure we can work all of this out with consensus at some point and alleviate any potential frustration. I think we went through all of these issues with this years pool, which as I remember almost didn't happen. We survived and tweaking is occurring. As the DP continues, I'm sure we'll change it a little bit each year to smooth things out.

I reiterate that there is no need to reinvent the wheel, and no need to kill this thing with complication. DP's have been running for years, and we're not alone in trying to work out the same issues everyone else has already worked out and continues to do so.

The Ghoul Pool
    has been using the linked criterion for celeb status since 2010. It's one of the largest dead pools on the net.

Click on "Rules" link in the top left corner. They've got a reasonable measure of celeb status detailed. We could add various other media sources if we felt it necessary.
    Don't the rules say can't pick oldest people? I googled that besse name came up and she is eligible?

I don't see in the rules where it sats how many rounds the draft goes.

My comments are not complaints. I plan on entering. Zsa zsa top of my list. How is the draft order determined?

This year we went 15 rounds, thus 15 team members per roster. Check the DPIII team list thread first page for more information.

I think Milo enters names to a hat or something simple like that to determine draft order.

Pick Zsa Zsa and this succubus will drive you mad as she has others in the past. Don't let her siren's song lure you into her grasp. You'll regret it, if what's left of your mind allows you regret.

I would as bad as it sounds add more rules. I would put more payout categories. $91+ $3. 100+$1. If someone wants to pick the oldest of farts. gl.
    I still like idea of an under 30 category. and a mandetory pick from that range.
    I've seen in other death pools payouts if death occurs on 13th of month double payout. If death on last day of pool 4x. If death is not by natural causes, like OD or accident, 3x payout.
    Having said all that, it seems simplicity is the way most want to go.
  • This year we went 15 rounds, thus 15 team members per roster. Check the DPIII team list thread first page for more information.

I think Milo enters names to a hat or something simple like that to determine draft order.

Pick Zsa Zsa and this succubus will drive you mad as she has others in the past. Don't let her siren's song lure you into her grasp. You'll regret it, if what's left of your mind allows you regret.

Tell me more about this regret word?
    I would as bad as it sounds add more rules. I would put more payout categories. $91+ $3. 100+$1. If someone wants to pick the oldest of farts. gl.
    I still like idea of an under 30 category. and a mandetory pick from that range.
    I've seen in other death pools payouts if death occurs on 13th of month double payout. If death on last day of pool 4x. If death is not by natural causes, like OD or accident, 3x payout.
    Having said all that, it seems simplicity is the way most want to go.

It's already to easy to forget a certain payout, let alone throw in a few more of your wacky ideas. We have had enough discussion on the matter, and since the CPF Dead Pool was my idea, I'm going to make a ruling on this:

THE PAYOUT STRUCTURE WILL REMAIN THE SAME FOR 2013.

What needs to be discussed is the whole notion of celebrity and how it's judged. I have already stated my opinion. I'd like to hear from other DP mangers (and those who will sign up for '13) on this, please.
    What needs to be discussed is the whole notion of celebrity and how it's judged. I have already stated my opinion. I'd like to hear from other DP mangers (and those who will sign up for '13) on this, please.

Do you really want to discuss it or will you just put your foot down and make a ruling? I'll wait for the official rules you deem fit and go with that.

My payout ideas were meant to rectify the celeb status problem, if someone is angle shooting picking someone so old, let them have at it and pay them minimal.

What was the 2012 angle? Is it that difficult to remember the payouts that are listed in a thread anyway.

The 27 yr old payout idea seems a waste. no one is picking a 27 yr old, so eliminate it, one less payout to remember.

I think the common opinion is they want the more known celebrity (Bieber Lohan) picked rather then someone that was on their death bed when selected. Find a way that makes people pick younger. If not by payout structure. How about your 15 picks can only total 1000 years old?
  • The angle was a deathrow inmate with no appeals left
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    The angle was a deathrow inmate with no appeals left
    Clever.... pay the man his monies!