Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• If I don't get a good offer they are going on stubhub.
  • Should be a great final few weeks of the season.

Yankees vs Blue Jays in two series.. can't wait.
  • If the Jays push back Buerhle again on Saturday and start Strohman, they risk pissing off the vets and losing the clubhouse.

Discuss.
  • I wish Stroman had been lights out for Buffalo yesterday as then the Jays would really have a tough choice. Instead he was not able to find the plate or control his pitches. The Buffalo analyst even said he would of walked a lot more guys (he walked 4) if Pawtucket was not up there hacking at practically everything as it was the last game and they all had flights to catch.

At least this simplified the Jays decision as now they have no choice but to start Buehrle on Saturday and pray he can summon up whatever "inner ninja" "see I am not washed up" skills he has left.

I definitely agree that the Jays will risk pissing off the entire team especially all the vets if they don't go with Buerhle on Saturday.

Anyway it is a mega exciting time to be a Jays fan right now! Personally I think the Jays will definitely win the division and might even catch KC for the best AL record (currently 4 game back).
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    If the Jays push back Buerhle again on Saturday and start Strohman, they risk pissing off the vets and losing the clubhouse.

Discuss.

Not sure he loses the clubhouse.
    Burlhe will after this season hit 16 straight years of over 200IP.

He may need the break and I think the team sees the bigger picture.
  • Stroman will start Saturday
  • Wow and suddenly Buerhle has an injury for the first time ever in his career! He did not sound injured in the post game interview yesterday he just sounded pissed off but maybe he does not even recognize that an injury could be in play.

Looks like we have to hope Stroman pitches as well as he thinks he can. I like the kid but this is quite the leap into the fire!
  • Wow and suddenly Buerhle has an injury for the first time ever in his career!
    Where you getting that info, or is that speculation? Can't find anything on the wire, at least up to now.
  • Wow and suddenly Buerhle has an injury for the first time ever in his career! He did not sound injured in the post game interview yesterday he just sounded pissed off but maybe he does not even recognize that an injury could be in play.

Looks like we have to hope Stroman pitches as well as he thinks he can. I like the kid but this is quite the leap into the fire!

"When it comes to pitching, either six is too many, or twelve ain't enough" Earl Weaver.
  • Well I guess Buehrle just routinely goes for cortisone shots to fix the "a little banged up right now" that has been going on for the past month. Looks like there is no injury in play right now. Sorry my mistake.
  • Hutch to the pen.
  • I love it when a late pick up gets some regular play and does well.
    Pennington could have lit up the entire Sky Dome (Rogers Centre does not sound right) with his smile when he tagged his 2nd homerun as a Jay. Then he makes another great stop to prevent a hit.

Troy who! Just kidding... but nice to see their defense still playing strong

Milton Slim
  • At the Jays game last night with Moose and our wives and mini-mini-moose. It was a pretty sweet and easy 6-1 victory for the Jays and Stroman looked pretty strong the entire game.

Sadly Edwin's consecutive reaching base streak ended at 46. He reached on an error but looks like that does not count.

Moose and I also debated the starters for the first 5 game playoff series. Moose thinks they go with 3 man and I believe it will be 4. The current ordering for the 5 man is Price, Estrada, Stroman, Dickey, Buehrle with Stroman on pace to pitch the last game of the season.

Barring injury or bad performances I expect they stick to this order and go Price Estrada Stroman Dickey Price. They will also give Estrada a break if they clinch early. Buehrle to the bullpen which I agree with.

I get the sense that Gibbons has just been astounded by Estrada and Stroman as that was totally unexpected and still worries that Dickey could have a bad knuckleball at any point in time. What do you guys think?

And now just 1 game back of KC for best overall record!
  • I thought I saw you guys there, I said to Cam, "Look, there is Moose" ... kidding. We were giving tickets at the last minute. Right field side right behind the ball boy. It was pretty good, second row from the field.

Anyway, to answer your question I am going to give you what I want then what I think will happen if all things are equal.

Price
    Dickey
    Stroman
    Estrada

I think having Dickey follow a left hand power pitcher will be very effective in a series, especially in back to back games. I love what Estrata has down for this team and we would be where we are without him. Having said that, Stroman is a power pitcher and I would pitch him 3rd and Estrata 4th.

What I think they will do is put Estrata in the bullpen because of his experience there in the past. Hutch will not be on the playoff roster. Gibson can be a loyalty guy so I see Buehrle in the rotation if he is healthy and pitches effectively in his last few starts also because he has pitched in the playoffs before and Gibsons will say you can’t buy that blab la bla …

This one for all attitude might be changing though: Deserving Estrada expects playoff start - Article - TSN

Read what Estrata is saying. Stroman believes his injury shouldn’t keep him out of the rotation and he deserves a spot. I think the Jays are hoping it works itself out, but if it was me, I’d have a plan A, B, C, D, and I would have a meeting with the team, not just the pitchers and let them know what I was thinking sooner rather than later. Probably after the Yankee series.
    I honestly believe they are glad the doctor’s reviews were mixed when Travis went to see them just before the end of August. I don’t think they wanted controversy at 2nd in September.

Another rotation I like is Price, Estrata, Stroman and Dickey. I think this would be effective as well.

Prophet22
  • I was thinking similarly but IDK what you mean by Travis creating controversy. You were going to play Pennington over Travis? Or you mean Tulo comes back and now somehow Goins is better than Travis? Not even close.

Anyways I say 3 man rotation, Price, Dickey, Estrada. Price pitches game 4 on short rest and Dickey goes game 5 on reg. rest. If you go a 4 man rotation, then Dickey starts game 1 followed by Price so he can pitch game 5 on reg rest. Buehrle or Stroman gets game 4.

Hutch makes the 25 man. They can drop Tepera, or Schulz.
  • moose wrote: »
    I was thinking similarly but IDK what you mean by Travis creating controversy. You were going to play Pennington over Travis? Or you mean Tulo comes back and now somehow Goins is better than Travis? Not even close.

Anyways I say 3 man rotation, Price, Dickey, Estrada. Price pitches game 4 on short rest and Dickey goes game 5 on reg. rest. If you go a 4 man rotation, then Dickey starts game 1 followed by Price so he can pitch game 5 on reg rest. Buehrle or Stroman gets game 4.

Hutch makes the 25 man. They can drop Tepera, or Schulz.

Typilcally Price and Dickey have been bad on 3 days rest, but Dickey did come through earlier this year. Gibbison is on record of saying travis is his second base guy, so when he got hurt the first time and was able to come back travis went in at second. If travis was able to come back around the same time Stroman did, would he hold to that position. Furthermore does travis have a starting position next year. I think both Goins and travis are starters so we will see whatthe winter brings. I believe the Jays are happy they dont have to make that decision, this year putting travis on the 60 day dl.
  • Huh? What does Stroman have to do with Travis?
  • Thought I was watching a playoff Maple Leafs game there at the end :P. That was a tough one yesterday. 30 minutes to go till today's game!
  • So Buehrle gets a so called quality start today. Looks like quality = mediocre now.

The Jays now have lots of input in deciding between Stroman vs Buehrle in the playoffs. The Stroman story is pretty amazing!

Go Jays! Next series is pretty huge obv!
  • I'll take Stroman. He looks like he didn't miss the season and he's a fresh arm.
  • Looks like quality = mediocre now.

Give the ball to Stroman after Price and the game two starter. I think it should be Dickey, but it will probably be Estrata.

Prophet22
  • Well things just keep getting easier! Tanaka pulled a hammy and his start Wednesday against the Jays is being skipped. Looks like the Jays get to face Nova now who they pounded last time out!

For the playoff rotation Gibbons got that question after today's game and his answer was well you guys can see how we have set things up so I think you can figure it out.

I used to think Gibbons was big on sticking with the vets but now I think he is the polar opposite which I really like!
  • Barring an epic collapse from Cleveland with 3 outs to go and a 4 run lead in their game with KC. The Jays control their own destiny to hold best record in the American League this year and will be the host team for every playoff series they play in the post season including the World Series. (They hold the tie breaker with KC and the American League won the All-Star game.)
  • Sunday will probably be the last time Buehrle will pitch in Toronto.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Sunday will probably be the last time Buehrle will pitch in Toronto.

If you mean as a starter then yes, but he will pitch out of the pen in the playoffs as a second lefty. Just can`t see Loup or Hutch making the playoff roster.

Prophet22
  • Any reason why they have seats blocked off in center field? Or is that going to be for all the press in the playoffs?
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Any reason why they have seats blocked off in center field? Or is that going to be for all the press in the playoffs?

Nope, has to do with affecting hitters and they aren`t able to pick up the ball.
  • Well that was quite the finish... Clinch MVP?
  • Josh Boomaldson!