Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• I think the Jays might be able to compete in a couple years when the Bauistas and EEs are gone.

Yankees are due for a few lean period with A-rod and Tex gone
  • Macke wrote: »
    I think the Jays might be able to compete in a couple years when the Bauistas and EEs are gone.

lol, you mean you think Batts and EE are holding them back? Really?
  • Fox sports reporting the jays were talking to the Tigers about Price today.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Fox sports reporting the jays were talking to the Tigers about Price today.

And Hamels is going to the Rangers, so good news overall, meaning the Yankees didn't get him. I am finding it hard to believe that Cashman is show some restraint.

PS it was nice to see Dicky get some run support for a change. It won't be long before he has a sub 3.50 era.

PSS A shout out to the Jays fans who showed up with Tulo jerseys and then gave him a standing O. He is argueable the best player we have had since Alomar

Prophet22
  • compuease wrote: »
    lol, you mean you think Batts and EE are holding them back? Really?

Definitely not Joey Bats, but I think EE is a little. Not so much in terms of his performance, but in terms of what he brings vs what we need. We already have lots of power, and when you don't hit for avg or walk much, and don't play as good a first base as you'd like, and have injury issues, I think we'd be better served if we could move him for a good starter and play Smoak/Collabello at first. Then we could rotate the DH spot more and give guys like Donaldson, Bautista and Martin a rest more often.

Question is can we get a good starter for him and would he accept the trade being a 10-5 guy?
  • Price coming to TO. Bye Norris.
  • Wow! Put up or shut up Joey!
  • AA should go down as one of the best Gms ever! Tulo and freakin' David Price!

His timing is perfect for the trades and he has put everything where it really belongs right in the 25 current players hands!

Wow and they had to give up way less than I could of ever expected. The Jays are now officially WS bound IMHO!
  • 2 games out of the second wild card position. 10 wins in a row would be nice right about now.
  • I have to say, I wasn't a big fan of emptying the system for a rental like Cueto, but this is a move I'm on board with 100%. To get price for less than we would have had to pay for Cueto is amazing.
  • And David Price's news conference is delayed due to travel issues. ie minor car problem
  • Mark Lowe and Ben Revere.

Officially selling the farm :)
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Mark Lowe and Ben Revere.

Officially selling the farm :)

Which I don\t have a problem for. Just wheen I think we are on the right track "someone" makes a bone headed move and bring up Kawasaki today and then starts him over Tulo. Yes that is correct! In realiity this organization chose Kawasaki over Valencia and put him on waviers. Are the Jays crazy? This season Valencia has played 2nd, 3rd, ss and left field while hitting close to .300, how is Kawasaki more valuable to the team than Valencia and earn the right to start?

If the Jays want to win the division they hae to win 39 games. It is time to put your set line up out there and let them play!

Yesterday was a missed opportunity!

Prophet22
  • Agreed.

Yesterday's moves were confusing. Now we don't have a good backup at 3rd base or OF, but 2 backups at 1B? Carrera made some sense because he didn't have to clear waivers, but Valencia is most certainly gone and he could have made the spot-starts at 2B until TRavis got back. Makes me wonder if maybe he was unhappy with his role or they believe he'll clear waivers?

I don't look at it as Kawasaki started over Tulo, rather they wanted to give him a day off and Kawasaki was the guy. Again, I'd rather see Valencia get that fill-in start at 2nd.
  • Problem was easily solved by demoting a pitcher until Travis was back or the rosters expand in Sept. We don't need an 8 man bullpen.
  • Personally I hate 8 man bullpens but I believe the 8 man is only for Sunday in case Dickey falters on short rest.

As for Valencia the Jays don't face a lefty starter for the next 8 games so Valencia was not playing anyway and his defence at 2nd is too shaky whereas they think MK is better defensively and can also play SS and I agree.

The Jays are working hard to flip Valencia for a backup OF. They really want Pompey to play every day in Buffalo until Sept.
  • I'm with you on the 8-man bullpen and the Dickey point is valid, but you waive a guy who is a valuable bat off the bench and can play several positions for the sake of one game? Doesn't make sense. At the very least they could have left Kawasaki in Buffalo until tomorrow and then sent down a pitcher tomorrow and brought him up then.
  • Huge win today coupled with a Minn loss despite all the controversy with the home plate umpiring! Hoping there are no auto suspensions that kick in for Gibbons for going on the field after being ejected!

Jays now move into a tie for 2nd wildcard with the win tomorrow in the Price debut!
  • Huge win today coupled with a Minn loss despite all the controversy with the home plate umpiring! Hoping there are no auto suspensions that kick in for Gibbons for going on the field after being ejected!

Jays now move into a tie for 2nd wildcard with the win tomorrow in the Price debut!

I was all about Price starting yesterday, a game in which I couldnt have gone too. But I am today baby!!!

Prophet22
  • And Danny V claimed off waivers by Oakland.
  • Damn, this wagon is getting awfully heavy real fast....
  • Went to the Game Monday
    The stadium was ELECTRIC!!!
    standing ovation for Price, while he warmed up!

Glad I went, hope the crowds and the good team play keeps up!

How many guys are added to the expanded roster?

Milton Slim
  • ddmilcan wrote: »
    Went to the Game Monday
    The stadium was ELECTRIC!!!
    standing ovation for Price, while he warmed up!

Glad I went, hope the crowds and the good team play keeps up!

How many guys are added to the expanded roster?

Milton Slim

I was there as well and couldn't agree more. It was great it will be interesting to see how many are there tonight.

To answer your question - rosters expand to 40 September 1st. Playoff roster can only include guys from your roster on Aug. 31st unless an injury occurs.

Prophet22

• Jays' Sanchez suspended three games, Gibbons one

Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Aaron Sanchez has been suspended for three games for throwing at Kansas City Royals infielder Alcides Escobar in the eighth inning of the team's 5-2 win on Sunday. Blue Jays manager John Gibbons also received a one-game suspension for returning to the field in Sanchez's defence after already having been ejected.

Report: Tigers "release/fired" GM Dombrowski- is he toronto bound?
  • Blue Jays record, post all star break when tied for the Wild card: 1-0

That is all you need to know.
  • 40, That's what I thought too.
    Can all 40 be on the bench for a game, or is there a limit.
    Players could get tired glad-handing everyone after a good play!

Milton Slim
  • Report: Tigers "release/fired" GM Dombrowski- is he toronto bound?

Rumour is Red Sox, Angels, Jays in the running
  • Maybe they can hire back Farrell when he gets shit canned at the end of the season. Worst record in the majors since they luck boxed with the full package of smoke and mirrors into the WS title in '13
  • There were just over 30,000 last night. Should be about the same tonight based on how many are here so far.

Great night for a game too. It's real comfy here on the third base line.
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    There were just over 30,000 last night. Should be about the same tonight based on how many are here so far.

Great night for a game too. It's real comfy here on the third base line.

Is that what they announced? Didn't hear that on the broadcast and te Toronto Sun had the attendance at 26 and change. I'd imagine tonight was about the same.

Prophet22