Poker Tournament in TO

Comments

• mattykies wrote: »
    hahah nice, your almost there, no min but i will be very surprised if we dont fill it up. I think the capacity is somewehere in 1000 but are expecting 500

that's a lot of dealers, etc. Glad to hear the tournament will go ahead no matter what. Seems like a win-win for everyone.
  • Yeh , I think you all will be pretty impressed when you get there and see the venue and everything this tournament has to offer. As well everyone walks away with something, so even if you bust out first hand on your AA to 7 2 you can use your grab bag to cheer you up.lol

Matty
  • Tournament structure
    run time= 8 hrs
    blinds will start at 25/50
    starting chips= 2500
    Max participants= 500
    Fun level= off the charts
    hahah

let me know if you have questions

Matty
  • > rebuys for the first hour
    > add on at the end of the first hour

Umm....

Doesn't this now go against the whole premise of this being a "FREE" tournament??

What is the rebuy and add-on cost?? This may change a number of people's minds
  • it is still an free entry to the tournament, that doesnt change. But those people who don't go through our system will pay to get into this tourney.
    We are helping to raise a lot more money for charity by doing re-buys and add ons, my apologies if that upsets a couple of poker players.

Just win at the begining and dont rebuy, very simple, loll

Seriously though, don;t rebuy or add on if you don't want to, you can bring Zero dollars and get into the tourney, that is how it is free

Matty
  • here's my two cents..

You need to be careful offering such a nice prize and have the dealers you had at Caesars in Waterloo. It was embarassing how little they knew.

If people get down to the final table and experience this, you will have some very upset players.

Even before the final table, you can't have dealers that don't know what they are doing. It was very evident to many in Waterloo from here.
  • Totally agree Folded, we had a group of 5 dealers cancle on us last minute at caesars and those were replacements.

We have dealers set up for Toronto, we got them from a company of dealers, so there will be no problems this time.

My apologies for the last tourney, this one will be more professional, I give you my word

matty
  • With all due respect Matt, this is total bullshit. The story seems to change every other day. I have zero faith that this will go off anything close to how you have billed it so far.

I can see only 2 prizes posted on your website. And second prize is a trip to murder central for Canadians.

Kindly post ALL your rules, re-buy cost and chip amount, add-on cost and chip amount, blinds and schedule, the prizes and any other details that might lend a shred of credibility to this fairy tale.

Note I did say 'with all due respect'.
  • -ev wrote: »
    Note I did say 'with all due respect'.
    Haha yes! That means you can say anything you want ;)

/g2
  • any1 going to this?
  • any1 going to this?
    Likely two people. One will get killed by bad dealing and one will get killed in a deal gone bad.
  • I'll be there, or at least I plan to be.
  • i think i might go....
  • it seems like everyday there is a new hater, I feel like it its the player Haters ball and I'm Chappelle

My apologies for making 2nd place a an all -inclusive trip for 2 to mexico. I had no idea i was sending you into the heart of Afghanistan.lol

Nobody is twisting your arm to come out. By all means if you do not want to come, don't. Check the website after the tournament to see how our fairly tale went. If it looked like fun and you talk to people and they said it was fun, maybe we will see you at the next one. We are raising a lot of money for two different charities in just one night.

Ok the final Structure has been finalized, If you have do not like it, bite me,lol
    Starting Chips:2500
    No Rebuys
    1 optional add on at the end of the 1st hour: $50 for 3000 more chips
    Blinds: 25/25, 25/50, 50/100 then break and add on period
    500 people MAX
    registration starts at 5:30, tourney starts at 7 and goes till 3am
    this is a much more friendly structure with the time constrants we have
    I APOLOGIZE FOR ALL THIS BS AROUND THE TOURNAMENT.
    THIS STRUCTURE IS FINAL, NO IF'S, AND'S OR BUT'S

thank you to the people who show up and support us and our charities.

I greatly appreciate it.

matty
  • dammit, I love rebuys!

If I don't get to signing up for one of the sites, and/or doing one of the challenges..can I just buy in direct like the last one?

Would you consider tweaking the starting stack? If there are no rebuys it is too low IMO.
  • ooh kristy, your too funny. 2500 isn't that low starting at 25/25, Ive seen you play , what is the difference in starting stack, u playe every hand??? so just double up early, lol.

yeh you can just buy in at the door but if it is sold out then ya can't get in. We are setting it up so that you can buy tickets on Clubzone.com. So when that is set up Ill let ya know just so you can for sure get a spot in the tourney.

Matty
  • Where's Buddy? I wonder what he'd think? :)
  • add-on for $50, I thought this was a free tournament? did the tournament in Kitchener also have an add-on? this is the first I have heard of having to pay $50 at the actual tournament for additional chips. Obviously most players will want to have these chips so they are not at a disadvantage. Never heard of a free tournament having an add-on before.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I thought this was a free tournament?
    It's NOT a free tournament. It's a $100 Charity Tournament, but you can get a free ticket by playing online at an affiliate site. As this thread shows, there is a TON of confusion since the hosts are calling it (incorrectly) a free tourney. Might be better marketing, but definitely misleading.

As suggested for the previous tourney and again for this one, stop calling it free. Be up front and say that it's a $100 charity game, and that there are ways to get a free ticket. Then all these questions and "haters" (meaning people who are expecting the traditional meaning of free, rather than your distorted definition of the word) go away. I don't think many here have a problem with you charging for the game (or the add-on), just your use of the word free in connection with $$$.
  • I"ve completed the mansion challenge and will play. I guess we have to pay our way into the CNE as well? It's not a free tourney and I have said that. They are taking $25 out of the $100 promised as a rebate for the tourney entry. They are also getting kicked back from the sites they are promoting.

I believe voodoo is also playing this one as well.
  • Call it whatever you want!!!!!!!!!!!
    it is possible to get into the tournament for FREE, so you can play for Free
    yes there are many other things to this tourney but we would love it if all you got in for free. so don't pay a cent come through the website and end all the confusion

i love all of your comments that make me warm and tingly inside

matty
  • mattykies wrote: »
    Call it whatever you want!!!!!!!!!!!
    This tournament is Toronto's $5,000 buy-in WSOP Circuit Event. ;)
  • i dont get it
  • I'm in. Completing the deal for 888 now.

Friday is going to be a rough morning at work if I'm in this till 3am!
  • I'm going to address a couple of subjects here...

1) Matty - I can see how you can feel like there are haters here. You are asking people to come to a tournament for a fairly significant prize, but when I read your posts it seems like there is no structure. Everything changes from day to day, and no formal details get locked into place until after they were promised.

The people on the forum want to know a blind schedule and all other items beforehand. Maybe we're spoiled by having some great directors/tournaments in the area (eg. Westside, Bristol, g2's events, Cook Crew events), but if people know what to expect beforehand then they don't gripe (as much)!

We have spoken before about myself directing the tournaments, and offering my advice on blind levels, etc. We'll talk again in private if you want.

2) With a 25/25, 25/50, 50/100 structure and then an add-on of $3000 chips
    the patience factor is 9.26, and the skill level is 5 (out of 6)

There are some assumptions to this:

- Everyone takes the rebuy
    - Further levels look like this:

100/200
    150/300
    200/400
    300/600
    400/800
    500/1000
    600/1200

If the blind levels are any faster then this, then the skill level will obviously go down.

3) I will be attending this event. Others in the area that want to carpool, we can talk.

In conclusion Matt - I don't think that anyone here would disagree with the statement that we welcome more events in the area, but not having full information and then being told "this is the way it is. Like it or suck it" doesn't work with this crowd. I would be willing to bet that I could take a regular user from this forum and they would be WAY more informed on poker rules and poker tournament theory than your average player - that's what we talk when we're together. Information and respect are they keys to winning the forum crowd over.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    I"ve completed the mansion challenge and will play. I guess we have to pay our way into the CNE as well? It's not a free tourney and I have said that. They are taking $25 out of the $100 promised as a rebate for the tourney entry. They are also getting kicked back from the sites they are promoting.

I believe voodoo is also playing this one as well.

don't forget your $50 add-on; would you have started the Mansion challenge knowing there was a $50 add-on at the free tournament? I would have saved my $25. I am half way there but now I'm not so sure its worth the effort. A 'free' shot at a $10k prize is alright but not $50 plus the time to complete the challenge.
  • Nicely said DataMn.

So right now to sum it up...

Start time: 7pm
    Starting chips: 2500
    Optional Add-on at 1st hr: $50 for 3000 chips
    Blinds (every 20 min. I'm assuming): 25/25, 25/50, 50/100, ? ? ? (I didn't know three question marks was an emoticon)
    Prizes: 1st-Fallsview WPT Main Event entry, 2nd-All-inclusive trip to Mexico for two, 3rd to Last-Gift Bags?

Looking at the website title for the tournament, "$100,000 Free Charity Poker Tournament", where does the 100k come from?

Also, I'll be attending as well. Seeing how this tournament is for charity I think we should just see this whole thing as a big misunderstanding. Not saying that just because it is charity, that it justifies everything. Well, maybe I am.
  • i like that idea deeply.

3rd to 10th will get prizes and a gift bag, 10th -450 get just gift bags worth over 300 each, everyday we are getting more and more good prizes and stuff for each gift bag just to make the night that much better

glad to hear you are coming, I am confident everyone will enjoy themselves

Pookerjah- im sorry you didnt know we were doing add ons, but u are still gonna get in the tourney for nothing though and assuming you get in the top 450 people you will get a gift bag worth over 300 in goodies and freebies

matty
  • Lets give Matty a break here guys, so far he has been straight up, and I know we are all spoiled but even with the mansion challenge its not costing you anything Jim. Remember I completed the challenge, cashing out for a $75. profit there, got my cheque for $75. from 1Deal and got the free entry into the Ktch tourney. I don't understand the skepticism. No matter what the prizes are they're worth more than nothing, and... we do play this game for fun right guys?
  • I hope the event goes well and I hope the good folks here that attend feel like they got good value for their efforts.

Things that still give me cause for concern:

1/ $300 'value' gift bags. Are these things like gift certificates or discounts for crap I don't want? I don't really value these much.
    2/ Website says 100k, here it says 50k. So far I see a 10k tournament entry and a trip worth maybe 3-4k. Has the rest actually been determined? Or are you putting a value of 100-200 on each gift bag?
    3/ You are quick to banty around 'charity' almost as a reason to stifle questions. Please specify how much is actually going to the charity. I'm all for raising funds for charity but I'd like to be reassured it isn't a token 1k when your walk-ins and add-ons will net you far more.
    4/ You've specified the blinds for the first hour (I'm assuming 20 minute levels) of a 7 hour event. Please tell us more.

You are getting so close to the cutoff date where people would have to start their 'challenge' in order to qualify but it seems many things are still up in the air. You have not yet convinced me this is worth the bother. It sounds a bit 'fly by night' or 'seat of your pants'.

I see this as about a 1 in 100 crapshoot for me to win a 'freeeeee' entry to WPT (for $50) and a 1 in 100 chance for me to win my own murder that the locals will call an accident (which you might not mind too much right now). Even from that perspective, it is not a terrible deal (the WPT part) but you've really blown your credibility in my eyes. Far too much misleading and incomplete info and late changes.

Sorry for pissing on your party. Pull it off successfully and you will definitely get lots out to the next event. Fail miserably and I expect you can kiss this forum goodbye as a place to promote. Note, I did say 'with all due respect'.