Favourite beers?

Comments

• Mill Street is one of my favorite Ontario brewery's.

I was fortunate enough to try their Milk Stout, which they only brew occasionally. It was divine.

Anybody been to the Mil St. restaurant in Toronto? I've been meaning to get down there for months.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »

Anybody been to the Mil St. restaurant in Toronto? I've been meaning to get down there for months.

The restaurant was disappointing except for the beverages.....
    I live a couple of blocks away from it. I do recommend a trip down there on a weekend though. The area has a tonne of artist studios and interesting shops. There is usually some festival or another going on as well each weekend in the summer. if you love chocolate, stay away from Soma, the chocolate shop.....unless you are ready to drop you paycheck on awesome artisan chocolate.

but back to beer. Totally missed their Milk Stout. will have to inquire about the timing of the next batch.

Their Wit beer is awesome. Try it with a slice of orange or lemon on the rim as the smell of the fruit brings out the flavours in the beer.
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    can you say resurrection........

Top 5

1-Innes & Gunn Oak Whisky barrel aged original - Holy crap it was fun to discover this beer.
    Scottish oak aged beer with a tonne of character. Vanilla and caramel notes with the slight taste of Whisky. effing brilliant.
    2 - Ola Dubh 40 year old Whisky barrel - Would be first but it costs $18 per bottle and you can't get it anymore this year.

Zithal, hope you are still around to provide some insight on your latest finds. Will definitely have to hunt down some Stone brewery products.

Have you tried the Rum barrel version of the Gunn? Yummy caramel note, and a richer amber colour to the bevvie. Heard about, but did not find, the Ola Dubh . . . was it as good as it sounds?
  • I had an oppurtunity to have their Coffee Beer, can't remember the name of it though...must say I was very impressed with that one.
  • It's kind of weird how I seem to be transitioning from a wine aficionado, to beer. Must be a Canadian thing . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Have you tried the Rum barrel version of the Gunn? Yummy caramel note, and a richer amber colour to the bevvie.

It was an expensive summer when they released this. Bought so many bottles. One of the best things I have ever tasted. Actually just picked up the Innis and Gunn Connoisseur Oak Collection pack. Includes a glass, and 3 bottles. 1 Original, 1 Indian Pale Ale, and 1 Rum Aged. Looking forward to cracking them open.
  • Where did you find that? I got one bottle of Rum aged, to test, and loved it. Went back the next day to stock up . . . GONE. Have not found it since.
  • They released it last month as a "Holiday Pack". I happened to stumble upon one of the few left at the local LCBO. Not sure how many were sent out, but it's worth looking into to see if any are available in your area.
  • Milo wrote: »
    the Ola Dubh . . . was it as good as it sounds?

very very good.

there is some 12 year around that you can hunt for

Inventory Position
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Mill Street is one of my favorite Ontario brewery's.

I was fortunate enough to try their Milk Stout, which they only brew occasionally. It was divine.

you can thank me later....

"
    Thanks for writing--I am definitely the right person to answer that question! We are not making a Milk Stout this year--perhaps it will come back in 2011 but this year we are making other stouts/porters to satisfy customers looking for this style of beer. We have a Vanilla Porter which is on tap at our brewpub right now and will be available for another week or so. It is a 5% alc./vol nitrogen-charged porter made with organic Mexican vanilla--it sounds sweet and cloying, but it is a very subtle and very drinkable porter with just a kiss of vanilla to it. Instead of the Milk Stout this winter/spring we are making a Chocolate Imperial Stout which will have the same weight as the Milk Stout but more alcohol (8.5% / volume) and will be brewed with dark chocolate from Soma Chocolate in the Distillery District. That stout will be out in early February and will be around likely until the end of March.

Let me know if you have any more questions about what we are doing!

Cheers,
    Joel
    Joel Manning
    Brewmaster
    Mill Street Brewery
    "
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    you can thank me later....

No I'll do it now...THANK YOU!
  • Currently enjoying a new Triple Matured Innis and Gunn. Just saw this last weekend at the LCBO. Apparently already discontinued. If you can find some, grab them ASAP. Will be going back tomorrow to grab a few more bottles. It's a really, really dark red beer. But for a darker beer it is not in the least bit heavy, and I'm really upset that I don't have another one to crack open when I finish this one.
  • Looks like London and Scarborough are the only places blessed with more stock of this

Inventory position - LCBO

Can't believe I missed this one. Good find.
  • Innis and Gunn Canada Day edition is available. Conditioned in Canadian Wiskey casks as with last year but this time with a Malt Rye crystal added for deeper colour and flavour. (they describe it like caramel made from Rye)

Worth trying one or two at $5 a bottle. At least the original is $0.50 cheaper regularly.
  • If anybody travels to Peterbrough or Belliville, I highly recommend stopping in Campbellford and checking out Church Key Brewery. They make several amazing beers including a Black IPA and a Holy Smoke Scotch Ale.
  • Big Rock Traditional Ale is my new everyday drinker. Robust flavour, at a reasonable price. Of course, I'll try others on a whim . . .
  • Ola Dubh 12,16,18,30,40 now available at the LCBO....in decent quantities for now. ($6, $7, $8, $15, $19 respectively)
  • Innis and Gunn Highland cask is cheaper @$4.95 a bottle. The Ola Dubh was nice, but I have one bottle left, and that will be the last for me.

DogfishHead90 IPA, FTW . . .
  • Anyone spotted Dogfish Head Namaste anywhere, ever?
  • Namaste?
  • Stella Canadian Killkenny Toby by Charringtons.

There was a place in TO on the esplanade. Had a couple of glasses of a beer I can't remember the name dammit. Spiced a little and very tasty.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »

Ooohhhh that sounds like a very nice brew . . .
    Anyone spotted Dogfish Head Namaste anywhere, ever?

Not in Ontario. I fucking hate the LCBO.

EDIT: Just checked the LCBOs website. Apparently DFH 60 Min IPA has been discontinued. I really, really hate the LCBO.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Stella Canadian Killkenny Toby by Charringtons.

There was a place in TO on the esplanade. Had a couple of glasses of a beer I can't remember the name dammit. Spiced a little and very tasty.

Probably Bier Markt

I used to date a bartender there -- um...don't order draft
    Probably Bier Markt

I used to date a bartender there -- um...don't order draft

This place is pretty cool. It wasn't the bier market though
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Spiced a little and very tasty.

Mill St. Tankhouse Ale imo.
  • I missed this the first few times. I'm usually into stouts and (darker) ales. Here's what's usually in my fridge, off the top of my head...
    • St. Ambroise "Oatmeal Stout" (tasty)
    • Sleeman's "Fine Porter" (also tasty, but much lighter; everyday beer)
    • Unibroue "La Fin Du Monde" (9% trappist-style)
    • Barley Days "Wind & Sail Dark Ale" (tons of flavour)
    • Kawartha Lakes "Nut Brown" (cheap)
    • Beau's "WTF" Wheat (20 oz bottles from Oktoberfest)
    • Scotch Irish "Corporal Punishment" (puts hair on your chest)
    • Cameron's "Auburn Ale" ('cause the brewery is just down the road from my gf's parent's house)
    I miss Granite "Best Bitter" (ESB); drank a lot of that in Toronto. And I missed Cask Days at BarVolo this year. Will have to make the trip to Toronto next October (although I did sample everything they had at their Oktoberfest tent in Vankleek Hill).