Favourite beers?

When I was travelling through Salt Lake City last yeat I tried one of the local microbrewery hefeweizen's and loved it.

Since then I have been drinking Hoegaarden, love that beer.

Wondering if there are any Canadian hefeweizens, Ontario microbreweries, etc that I should try?

:D

Comments

• Here in London we have a microbrewery. One time I went on a tour of the plant and I tried one of their lagers. I distinctly remember that it was a very crisp and refreshing beverage. I recall them saying it was best served ice cold and is a great compliment to meals baked in a wood-burning stove.
    If I remember correctly it was called Labatt Blue.
  • THought I'd get that response from the people on here :D
  • Lucky lager is the only beer u need to play poker.
  • There are 2 in KW. Some will argue that Brick isn't a microbrew anymore, but I am a fan of Waterloo Dark especially around Oktoberfest time with brats. Also the Heuther hotel & Lions Head Brewers have some good ones. You can get them in the beer store here, but not sure about other places in Ontario. Best patio in town!
  • I used to have to visit Calgary once a year for work and I always looked forward to their hometown beers, Big Rock Brewery has some fantastic choices, Warthog and Black Amber are my favs! Wildrose has a couple good ones too, the Brown Ale and IPA are good. I used to love the Brick beers but now I just don't find the quality is there anymore, I agree with the Heuther, great beer, the food used to be great as well but my last visit it was horrible!

Guinness is my all time fav....but Moose is right, for the price how can you beat Lucky?
  • for the price how can you beat Lucky?

How about Lakeport Honey Lager?

To be fair, I have never tired Lucky Lager so I have no basis for comparison. However, Lakeport Honey is the same price, and is very good.

Also, if you don't happen to like honey flavoured beer in general, don't be discouraged. This one is much closer in taste to "regular" beer than a honey lager.

Some of my other favorite beers are given in this other beer thread:

http://www.pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1083.msg10283#msg10283

ScottyZ
  • I think Big Rock brews Grasshopper as well I think, which is a fairly light refreshing beer. Lately I'd say I've been stuck on the imports alternating between Heineken and Stella. And I'll third the sentiments on the Huether beer...
  • Grasshopper Wheat Ale is brewed by Big Rock in Alberta.

Unfortunately, I have found it very difficult to get a fresh enough bottle of this excellent beer in Ontario.

ScottyZ
  • Actually I don't think I've ever had it by the bottle, just on tap...
  • Scotty, have you found any Big Rock beer around town? Yes Grasshopper is good too, I like the darker, heavier beers tho!

two words

Guin Ness!!!!!!

p.s. If you like Lakeport Honey (which I don't mind cold, Wolffhound you didn't hear that!!! then you'll like Lucky, it's obviously not a honey beer but it's a much cleaner finish IMHO then the other 'cheap' beers. Labatt Honey has to be the worst beer I have ever tried!!!
  • Scotty, have you found any Big Rock beer around town?

Did you mean Scooby instead of Scotty? For me, "around town" is Ottawa.

And to answer the question, no, I don't know of anywhere around town to get a good glass or bottle or Grasshopper. :(

ScottyZ
  • If by "around town" you mean K-W, I know they have Grasshopper on tap at the McMullen's (across from the Huether).
  • Big Rock Traditional is a nice "darker" beer. You can get it from time to time at "The Beer Store" in ON.
  • Mmmm, I love beer!  Since I'm moving to Calgary I will make sure I try Grasshopper ASAP...as I have loved any Big Rock beers I have tried during my many visits there.

For me there are a few beers at the top of my list:

1.  Moosehead
    2.  Stella (a new favorite for me)
    3.  Ex (there's nothing half way about it)
    4.  Almost any Sleeman product
    5.  Keith's or any pale ale for that matter.

As for true Micros there is Creemore which is a unique beer that is quite tasty.  There many others I just drawing blanks.
  • Oh, and I forgot to mention I have been banned (by the wife, who else?)from drinking Laport Honey as it apparently makes me stink. I do know that it makes my urine smell pretty awful the next day!
  • Corona's in the summer with ice in the box, on the back patio, under the poker table for me!

In the winter it's MGD in the cooler pre-game when we're "puttin on the foil!"

CHEERS Yayiwin.
  • I'm from Alberta so no end to the supply of Big Rock here. I alternate between Trad and Warthog. I also enjoy a Rickard's Red once in awhile
  • Yayiwin wrote:
    Corona's in the summer with ice in the box, on the back patio, under the poker table for me!

CHEERS Yayiwin.

Anyone else find that odd? :D
  • sweetjimmi wrote:
    Oh, and I forgot to mention I have been banned (by the wife, who else?)from drinking Laport Honey as it apparently makes me stink. I do know that it makes my urine smell pretty awful the next day!

Why your wife would have issues with the smell of your urine is between you and her.

Prior to this post, I was craving a beer, but now I believe I am in need of some intensive councelling before I will be able to down my next pint. :(

ScottyZ
  • 3. Ex (there's nothing half way about it)

Actually not a bad selection from the domestic mass-produced beers IMO. This beer gets credit for me first realizing that I generally prefer ales over lagers.

ScottyZ
  • There are 2 in KW.  Some will argue that Brick isn't a microbrew anymore, but I am a fan of Waterloo Dark especially around Oktoberfest time with brats. 

Is it a good idea to be drinking with your kids?

Lucky lager isn't particularly great beer, it just seems right for poker tho.

I agree with Big E, the quality of Brick seems to be going downhill. Used to really enjoy Waterloo Dark, Brick lager, Red Cap and Amber. Basically used to just rotate between the 4. But each of my last cases the beer just didn't seem as good so I went to the next kind but I experienced the same feeling.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Scotty, have you found any Big Rock beer around town?

Did you mean Scooby instead of Scotty? For me, "around town" is Ottawa.

didn't realize you were that far away ;)

Go Sens!
  • Big E is Lucky he moved off the Court with that troubling admission of liking Lakeport Honey...E, you can drive yourself to hockey tonight.

My drinking problem aside, Lucky is it.  For the $26.40 the taste is better than you deserve.  If I had 36.50 for a case...it'd have to be Export.  But...buy buying Lucky it leaves room for 1 more case a month in the Budget...always have to be thinking....

The Heuthers Lion's draft (believe its Lions Lager) is a sweet tasting beer.  Playing Pool at the Kent and having some Lions was a excellent night.

Red Cap when they brought it back was actually good.  The stubbies were an added novelty.  However, something has gone
    bad with the recipe, as the last few twelves that "melikebeer" (Jordo) has bought were some nasty shit.

Labatt Honey was disgusting...Carling's Honey Brown was disgusting as well.
  • sweetjimmi wrote:

This is Grampa Simpson's fav I think?

What, Eeeex? What's so unappealing about hearing your elderly
    father talk about Ex? I had Eeeex.
  • Wolffhound wrote:
    Big E is Lucky he moved off the Court with that troubling admission of liking Lakeport Honey...E, you can drive yourself to hockey tonight.

ahhhh nuts!

I think I was drunk when I tried it, you can't hold that against me!!!!!!
  • I'll never forget the 1st time I had a Sleeman Honey Brown. My buddies and I were on our way to a KISS concert in Ann Arbour. My one friend suggested we stop at a diner in Detroit for what he described as having the best burgers in town.
    The place was a dump, our burgers were served on paper plates with some potato chips. Within seconds the paper plates were saturated with blood & grease dripping from our burgers. The owner bought us a round of beer...he recommended that we try Sleeman Honey Brown that he had just purchased in Ontario.
    A beer has never tasted so good. Now everytime I bbq I crave a Sleeman Honey Brown.
  • For microbreweries.....Walkerville Lager out of Windsor, other then that Stella and Keith's
  • Big E wrote:
    sweetjimmi wrote:

This is Grampa Simpson's fav I think?

No that would be cinquante (50).
  • There are 2 in KW. Some will argue that Brick isn't a microbrew anymore, but I am a fan of Waterloo Dark especially around Oktoberfest time with brats. Also the Heuther hotel & Lions Head Brewers have some good ones. You can get them in the beer store here, but not sure about other places in Ontario. Best patio in town!

Amen Brother!!!
    Waterloo Dark rules. Great poker beer. Although I think I'm gaining weight because of it.

I'm sure Zithal will have a few things(at least!)to add to this thread.
  • Carib - someone brought it to our housewarming a few months ago, and now I am hooked,
    And I used to be a Lakeport guy - much like the Corner Gas episode I am not happy about being moved up in my beer drinking bracket