Techno newb is cutting the cable

Comments

• GTA Poker wrote: »
    60" TV...la dee dah

Small by todays (or rich poker players) standards.
  • Read my friggin post.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Read my friggin post.

I did but there are dozens of Android 6.0 TV boxes, is there a particular one you like? I definitely need it to have 802.11ac wireless. I like the earbuds and the voice commands on the Ultra but they are not mandatory just nice to have.
  • If you read back my box is well rated and there is a newer version out. I would think Amazon.ca is a better place to buy. Also go through ebates.ca if you use Amazon.
  • moose wrote: »
    If you read back my box is well rated and there is a newer version out. I would think Amazon.ca is a better place to buy. Also go through ebates.ca if you use Amazon.

I would guess you have the earlier version of this?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Matricom-G-Box-Q2-FBA-Android-Tv-Box/dp/B01BZ6WN9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490243232&sr=8-1&keywords=g-box+q2

Similar cost and gaming features that I have no need for, have enough game consoles for an orphanage full of kids...

Will read more about it. Anyone with any other recent recommendations. You guys had lots of fun with these a couple of years ago. Seems like time has marched on.
  • compuease wrote: »
    I did but there are dozens of Android 6.0 TV boxes, is there a particular one you like? I definitely need it to have 802.11ac wireless. I like the earbuds and the voice commands on the Ultra but they are not mandatory just nice to have.
    Anything in the $70-90 range on amazon will do what you want. Get something Fulfilled By Amazon so it will arrive quick and be easy to return if you are unhappy with it. I have set up dozens of these. Offer still stands if you want my help.

• How about this one? Just need to figure out if it has dual band wireless... $89. comes with keyboard as well..

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MYXVZRV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PDQ2WMYTIYVC&psc=1
    How about this one? Just need to figure out if it has dual band wireless... $89. comes with keyboard as well..

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MYXVZRV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PDQ2WMYTIYVC&psc=1
    You will probably be happier in the long run with 2gb ram.

Do you need Bluetooth? Those boxes are usually more expensive than non BT ones but also have more features.

The kb is ok. You might like using an air mouse more than a mini kb mouse combo.

Quick search on amazon shows me 25+ 2gb boxes that are on prime, meaning shipped by amazon. The TopYart T95Z might be a good candidate for you. It is dual band since it sounds like you need that for some reason. $87 but you have to buy your own air mouse.

• The advantage of bt is that you don't lose a USB port for a mouse or keyboard input.
    I would guess you have the earlier version of this?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Matricom-G-Box-Q2-FBA-Android-Tv-Box/dp/B01BZ6WN9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490243232&sr=8-1&keywords=g-box+q2

Similar cost and gaming features that I have no need for, have enough game consoles for an orphanage full of kids...

Will read more about it. Anyone with any other recent recommendations. You guys had lots of fun with these a couple of years ago. Seems like time has marched on.

Not sure what you mean about gaming features. Any android box can play android apps, including games.
    Not sure what you mean about gaming features. Any android box can play android apps, including games.
    Not games specifically but I have no need for the joystick/control device that some come with.

Does it matter what version of Kodi it comes with ie 16.1 or 17 and android 5.1 or 6?

lol, there are so many combinations I think I should close my eyes and throw a dart...
  • Kodi does not matter since it is easily updated but I would get the latest version of Android since that updates only if the box manufacturer issues an update.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    60" TV...la dee dah
    I have 120" projector screen [emoji1]
  • trigs wrote: »

Is it one of these? I have a buddy who has one in his basement but you really need a bigggg room for effect.

https://www.cnet.com/news/projectors-vs-tvs-giant-screen-pros-and-cons/
    Is it one of these? I have a buddy who has one in his basement but you really need a bigggg room for effect.

https://www.cnet.com/news/projectors-vs-tvs-giant-screen-pros-and-cons/
    Mine is an Epson 2030 home cinema projector 1080p and supports 3D. This one:

https://epson.ca/For-Home/Projectors/Home-Cinema/PowerLite-Home-Cinema-2030-2D-3D-1080p-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H561020-F

Got it for 1/3 off on Black Friday.

I don't actually have a screen though. Just projecting on the wall but I think I'm going to buy some projector screen paint.
    It will be fine. Pull the trigger already.

• Ok purchased this one, arrived yesterday.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Model-Globmall-Android-Amlogic-Playing/dp/B01LXCD7Y9/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490290551&sr=1-21&keywords=android+tv+box+2gb+ram#Ask

However I can get it to connect to the wireless and can surf the web, keyboard doesn't work despite charging it overnight. I can get into Kodi with the remote and get to sportsdevil but when I try to access anything live it says Web request failed.. Think there is something wrong with this one, any ideas?
    Ok purchased this one, arrived yesterday.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Model-Globmall-Android-Amlogic-Playing/dp/B01LXCD7Y9/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490290551&sr=1-21&keywords=android+tv+box+2gb+ram#Ask

However I can get it to connect to the wireless and can surf the web, keyboard doesn't work despite charging it overnight. I can get into Kodi with the remote and get to sportsdevil but when I try to access anything live it says Web request failed.. Think there is something wrong with this one, any ideas?
    Dumb question - did you take the back off the kb and take the nano receiver out and plug it into the box? I just had to ask.

• Lots of kodi links fail. If it works on your pc but not on the box you've got a configuration issue. I would always recommend a clean kodi and skin install if you have any issues with the original config.

• pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Dumb question - did you take the back off the kb and take the nano receiver out and plug it into the box? I just had to ask.

Oh ya - did you switch the kb on? there would be lights to tell you the status.

• There is an option in system menu somewhere to allow the unit to work with a remote keyboard/mouse. You have to turn it on. Maybe a security setting?

Also if you have ditched your Blackberry and bought a real phone there are a couple of apps you can download to use your phone as a remote and the setup instructions should also explain how to turn on the remote mouse setting. Kore is one app.
    There is an option in system menu somewhere to allow the unit to work with a remote keyboard/mouse. You have to turn it on. Maybe a security setting?

I have never had to find this to get any keyboard to work on an android box. There is a setting for the remote tho. I just ignore that. (My money is on the nano receiver. )

There is an option in system menu somewhere to allow the unit to work with a remote keyboard/mouse. You have to turn it on. Maybe a security setting?

You nailed that one, keyboard now works but still can't get any apps in Kodi to stream anything. I did go to the browser in Android
    and went to speedtest, getting 36 down an 10 up so the box is definitely getting connection fine. By the way the same links Sportsdevil, AtdheNet.tv work fine on my laptop but the same link on the box gets "web request failed"... lol, supposed to be easy wasn't it? lol My wife sure wouldn't put up with this...

I'm thinking configuration but I haven't found the key yet.. May have to take Greg up on his offer... I can get into a couple of cartoons but no audio at all, checked that in settings and everything is set to on or normal.
  • trigs wrote: »

F.U. Trigs......

don't be "that" guy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzx8KHjQD6c
    May have to take Greg up on his offer... I can get into a couple of cartoons but no audio at all, checked that in settings and everything is set to on or normal.

TIL about keyboards. I'll have to look for that. Never encountered this 🤖

Anytime comp. Give me a call.

• Make sure the android clock is set to the right date.
    Make sure the android clock is set to the right date.
    Yes! This will impact ability to get streams fir some reason. You should have an option to use network time.

• Ok, I give up on this box, pretty sure it is defective as it keeps blanking out even on the menu screens. Never could get it to reliably play anything, even though most streams/live sports work fine on my gaming laptop with Kodi, Sportsdevil and Exodus.
    Think I'm just going to take an older laptop that I have no use for, rebuild it, get a wireless keyboard and mouse that will work from approx. 20 ft away and go that way. The Android box is on its way back tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, they were good, I believe just a defect....
  • ^ I didn't chime in earlier since I have no experience with these boxes, but I have always run Kodi etc on PC and it's rock solid. Having a windows desktop to play around with is a great bonus too - so if your laptop route works out it should be just good as the android box if not better.