Techno newb is cutting the cable

Comments

• That would follow logic I would think too. Anyhoo, I'll go through the youtube vid again and check all the setting changes I made. Maybe I changed something incorrectly, but I don't think so. I checked it all last night a few times.
    moose wrote: »
    It should pause when the cache is empty.
  • Just got this little gizmo from China. mk808b plus. hooked it up. using an old logitech wireless keyboard.

already had xbmc. i did the config wizard. bamm! I'm watching hd movies.

using my bluetooth headset to listen to the audio while i work out.

too simple. i think the whole setup cost about 40 bucks. lolz.
  • Did you ever get the gbox and configure it?

#TooLazyToReadEntireThread
    moose wrote: »
    OK two days of fooling around and watching a few youtube videos and I am hooked on kodi. Ordering this right now for my tv:

G-Box Q - Android IPTV Box » Matricom

Newest Matricom G Box Q Octo Core XBMC Kodi Android 2GB 16GB UHD 4K | eBay

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTBlfYVu0U

...and you will doing the same thing ASAP.
  • yes. bfillmaff is the xbert tho
  • Reminds me, you said you needed some help with yours, did u figure it out?
  • I just want you to play with the settings to set it up like yours
  • How is yours set up BFillMaff? Anything special in particular?.....also, is/was genesis down? It wasn't working for me for a little while, had to use 1channel instead.
  • nothing overly special as it's all the same functions, more just a matter of making it streamlined and look pretty.

They have caught up quite a bit with the default interface but it still sucks. Skin it!
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    How is yours set up BFillMaff? Anything special in particular?.....also, is/was genesis down? It wasn't working for me for a little while, had to use 1channel instead.

Huh, that's weird. We've been using the thing daily and haven't had any problems.

I still haven't fiddled with the cache. Just haven't bothered.

I'd consider changing the skin like Bfillmaf is suggesting, but I think at this point my wife is so used to the current interface it could create problems were I to do so.
  • Seems that everyone is having a good time with this gizmo.Which should I buy that is simple to set up. some guy here on Kijiji is offering Q box all set up for around $150.Lets hear from the experts please,
  • G-box Q setup for $150 seems pretty good. Think I paid close to that stock from the manufacture.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Just got this little gizmo from China. mk808b plus. hooked it up. using an old logitech wireless keyboard.

already had xbmc. i did the config wizard. bamm! I'm watching hd movies.

using my bluetooth headset to listen to the audio while i work out.

too simple. i think the whole setup cost about 40 bucks. lolz.
    This! $30 now
    This! $30 now
    I know you you are a computer whiz?Would this be difficult for me to set up?Sounds very reasonable price.Where can I buy one for $30?Or should i stick to the Gbox preset up for 150
  • Check out gearbest.com. for the android TV stick.
    Check out tvaddons.net for setup instructions.
    Setup is pretty much the same for all android devices. It seems trivial to me. It might be a bit complicated if you have no experience setting up computer or electronic devices but I don't think so.
    Once you get going, you will want to setup a cache to avoid buffering. That will be more challenging but there are good instructions available. Do you have decent DL speed with your internet service? I was on 6/1 and kodi was not that great. Since moving to 25/5 it is AMAZING!
  • The guys here might be able to tell you why you should buy something better but for kodi, I don't think you can best the price performance of this little guy.

One thing, the internal antenna is not great so if you have weak Wi-Fi that might be an issue. I had a problem in one location but a 9 ft HDMI cable with a connector for about 10 bucks let me move the stick to a spot with stronger Wi-Fi signal.
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    G-box Q setup for $150 seems pretty good. Think I paid close to that stock from the manufacture.
    I finally bought a great box all set u for $188 Tax Inc.The MyGica 1800E which is the latest works right from the get go just plugged in the HDMI cable to my TV and other end to my rogers modem.I started to fiddle with it and added a lot of great addons,I am truly hooked.i also got some free cable stations from ustvnow.com
  • I coulda bought about 6 mk808b pluses for that kinda dough...

This thing must be awesome!
    I coulda bought about 6 mk808b pluses for that kinda dough...

This thing must be awesome!
    I went to that site but could not buy one with my Debit Card.It seemed simple enough to set up but I thought the MY Gica was bestfor me and i was right no problems and it was worth the money to me as I am not as talented as you are.
  • I also have the mygica and got rid of all my bell tv services two months ago. Don't miss it one bit. I picked up the remote control that has the full keyboard on it and it is idiot proof.

would never go back to bell or rogers tv.
  • Borrowed a box to try and convince the wife we should go that route. Strange thing is it randomly turns the tv off and I have to unplug the HDMI to get the TV back on. Very strange.

Doing some research, but might be either the HDMI cable or a problem with older Toshiba TVs
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Borrowed a box to try and convince the wife we should go that route. Strange thing is it randomly turns the tv off and I have to unplug the HDMI to get the TV back on. Very strange.

Doing some research, but might be either the HDMI cable or a problem with older Toshiba TVs

I honestly think you guys will love it Hobbes. I have no idea how long these things have been around, but they're great. I wish I had one a long time ago. Be sure to get a wireless keyboard though. Makes life much, much easier.
  • Order placed
  • I have the MyGica ATB 585 and it works great. We still have cable just due to the bundle we have but it is great for watching movies are rewatching SOA. Movie network for $$$ not a chance.
  • Noticed that Icefilms had a standup comedy category. Tried the addon, most of the links are dead. Boo. Not funny at all.

Edit: Still having buffering problems every now and again. I can't even remember if I went back in to change it again after the last time. I remember finding the advancedsettings.xml file to be a bit of a pain. Just realized this thing has 2Gb of internal ddr ram so I'm just gonna make the cache 1Gb or something and see what that does. I haven't downloaded any apps so I can't see myself running out of RAM any time soon.

Edit 2: For some reason, the last time I did this the xml file never got saved. Spent some time fiddling and managed to get it saved with the following values.
    Buffermode 1
    Cache mem buffer size 314572800
    Readbuffer 20

Been letting a 1080p movie run with AAC2.0 audio for close to 10 minutes now with no buffering. Hope this lengthy search is over with at this point.
  • Did you know that your dog can only flip your coffee table over spilling your drink all over your K400 keyboard 4 times before some of the keys won't work? Better not need to search for a show/movie with the letter O in it, or go to the home screen.

I'm pretty sure that puts my dog's tab for wrecking my tech toys over $1500 at this point. I kind of hate him today.
  • My dog can only do that once...
  • Noticed that Icefilms had a standup comedy category. Tried the addon, most of the links are dead. Boo. Not funny at all.

Edit: Still having buffering problems every now and again. I can't even remember if I went back in to change it again after the last time. I remember finding the advancedsettings.xml file to be a bit of a pain. Just realized this thing has 2Gb of internal ddr ram so I'm just gonna make the cache 1Gb or something and see what that does. I haven't downloaded any apps so I can't see myself running out of RAM any time soon.

Edit 2: For some reason, the last time I did this the xml file never got saved. Spent some time fiddling and managed to get it saved with the following values.
    Buffermode 1
    Cache mem buffer size 314572800
    Readbuffer 20

Been letting a 1080p movie run with AAC2.0 audio for close to 10 minutes now with no buffering. Hope this lengthy search is over with at this point.
    i paid a geek $25 to set up my android TV box and now I get everything without buffering and all the live TV etc.For $25 it was worth every penny,Why dont you do this?There are lots of geeks on Kijiji who will do a pro job.Just my 2 cents worth.
  • You can still get buffering with a perfect setup if the source has bandwidth challenges.