Techno newb is cutting the cable

Comments

• I second Exodus. Only one I use.
  • Same here. Exodus. Wife insists that we have netflix as well though as it suggests things and she can find way more documentaries easily.

One weird thing has popped up on this box though (Gboxq). Not sure what happened. Several months ago, all of a sudden while watching netflix shows ads started popping up. For everything from almonds to walmart to car manufacturers. Just screen shot ads with no moving video. You could click on the little x to close them, but it was annoying. Then, they started popping up in exodus, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Then about 3 weeks ago, all of a sudden full motion video ads started popping up. Again, for virtually everything. Again, you could shut them off but they're there. Both netflix and exodus which makes me think this is something in the box and has nothing to do with netflix or exodus themselves.

I downloaded the android versions of malware bytes and adblock+. Nothing showed up and it's still happening. I'm thinking I have to figure out how to flash the thing to factory specs and install firmware ver 2.0 and start over. I believe this also upgrades the box to a newer version of the android operating system as well. The one that comes with the GboxQ2.

Almost bought on of the Q2s when this started as it comes with 2Gb of ram which I think would get rid of any buffering issues altogether, although that hasn't been a problem for a really long time now.

Nice job though Johnnie. That box appears to be one of the top sellers at this point. Very popular.
  • That is quite weird with the adds. I also have the matricom G-BoxQ, I regularly use Netflix and exodus and haven't seen any.

Re: buffering, I went through the hassle of running cat5 from one end of the house to where the box is for wired Internet and haven't had any buffering issues.
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    That is quite weird with the adds. I also have the matricom G-BoxQ, I regularly use Netflix and exodus and haven't seen any.

Re: buffering, I went through the hassle of running cat5 from one end of the house to where the box is for wired Internet and haven't had any buffering issues.

Yeah, I have no idea what caused the ad thing to start. Searched what I believe to be the entire interweb trying to figure it out to no avail. Ran it by that guy Lambda who developed Genesis and Exodus, he had no idea but said it's definitely not his addon. He was pretty interested in figuring out how this was happening while running his addon but we didn't get anywhere. Basically at this point, it's become like when you try and run a youtube video and an ad starts and you have to wait 5 seconds before you can stop it.

I've been running hard wired ethernet since we all got these boxes. Was having buffering issues for a while, but haven't in a long time. Can't remember what I did to fix that. Altered the cache size? I seem to think that Moose had a fix for the issue.

Still pretty happy about not getting a cable tv bill every month. Or not having to settle on Judge Judy because it was the only thing worth watching with hundreds of channels of garbage available.
  • I was told that 1Channel was the best app for streaming, but it will not load onto my box.

Exodus will work but it has an annoying habit of crashing before it will start the next episode during a TV show binge.
    I was having issues with a few streams crashing midway through a show, but hooking in directly with the ethernet port seems to have solved it.
  • Pr0n obv

Factory reset.

Google kodi cache.

No more pR0n for you! Bad bad bad.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    No more pR0n for you! Bad bad bad.

Ha, never tried that on the big screen. Maybe the wife did. Hmm.
  • moose wrote: »

Yep, tried that. Completely removed kodi and exodus. Reinstalled and still getting the ads. Happens in both kodi and netflix which makes me think it's the box.

Just been poking about the matricom forums for a solution. Holy crap. If you want so see some raging about their latest firmware update, take a peek. Apparently matricom has a habit of releasing OTA updates with virtually no beta testing. Seriously screwed up a bunch of peoples boxes. I think it was ver 2.0 or 2.1 that screwed things up in the past couple of months.

This is what's making me hesitant about trying to flash the thing. At least it's functional at this point. If I flash it and try to screw around with the firmware, I'm thinking I could brick the stupid thing.

That, coupled with the fact that my wife won't let me touch the thing as she must have tv on in the background for all waking hours.
  • Factory reset

• This is what's making me hesitant about trying to flash the thing. At least it's functional at this point. If I flash it and try to screw around with the firmware, I'm thinking I could brick the stupid thing.

if you get the right one for your box its relatively low risk. malware is never good - I think it's worth trying to fix rather than just living with it.
    That, coupled with the fact that my wife won't let me touch the thing as she must have tv on in the background for all waking hours.

I didn't take this into account... risk factor sounds much higher here...
  • Just got a Netbox A95X. Monday we purchase a new Smart TV, and then tell Rogers to get fucked.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Just got a Netbox A95X. Monday we purchase a new Smart TV, and then tell Rogers to get fucked.

Looks like a good buy. 905X processor, 2Gb ram, android ver. 6

Get a wireless keyboard though. The remotes that come with all of these boxes are garbage. Logitech K400's pretty popular.
  • I use an app called RemoteIME as a remote
  • Apple? Couldn't find it in play store
  • Smart iRemote?
  • I made sure to get a keyboard remote thingy. Makes life much easier.
  • Thanks, guys. I will look into that. Ballpark on price for a keyboard?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Thanks, guys. I will look into that. Ballpark on price for a keyboard?

Logitech k400 on sale at best buy for $25 until Jan 5. Half price.
  • I've tried these and they are ok but I prefer a mini keyboard mouse combo and if you've ever tried an air mouse you will probably never look back

• Ok since I have quite a bit of time on my hands since the chemo is keeping me in the house a lot more than I want to. Now is the time to get into this streaming business. My wife's biggest beef is over how many hockey games are blacked out so I need something that will at least get around Rogers stranglehold on what's shown.

My tv is a 60" Samsung wall mount (HD but not 4K) but I could easily turn it into a smart internet tv a number of different ways. Is there one box that will interact with my router wirelessly (approx. 10' away but no way to connect Ethernet). Then I need whatever software that will allow me to watch blacked out regional games, such as Winnipeg, Ottawa and Montreal, etc as well as all the other stuff you guys talk about on here. I know I can hook a laptop to it and get software but that's not easy for the wife. I need something that will hook to my tv via hdmi, connect to my router wirelessly and have remote control capability that's easy for the wife.
    I know WildBill and Moose do something like this but what is currently available and recommended. Price is not the biggest concern.
    Is it Google Chromecast, Kodi, Roku, Amazon Fire, etc... I consider myself a techie but can't be bothered to do the research.
  • Android 6.0 tv. Any 2gb $70 box with a $20 air mouse should do. Probably kodi with sports devil will get the games. I don't watch them so can't confirm. Quality will vary but FREE!

I can come help you set up. God knows you've helped me in the past.

• Can you confirm you can get regional blacked out NHL games, tonights Boston Ottawa game?
  • Didn't see this until after the game was over...

• I'll try and get a blacked out game tomorrow evening and let you know.
  • compuease wrote: »
    I'll try and get a blacked out game tomorrow evening and let you know.

Install kodi and sportsdevil on your laptop and test it out first before getting a box for your tv.

I was watching curling and ncaa basketball through tsn on my tablet using sportsdevil at the Bahamas airport on Sun.
  • Thanks Moose, good tip, will try it tonight and see...

Edit: Yep seems to work fine on laptop, NYR vs NYI game plays fine and is not on local tv. I guess this also gets around the NHL regional blackouts?

Now which hardware to get? I'm guessing one of the Roku boxes?
  • Or what is the consensus? I need it to interface wirelessly with my router, connect to my tv via HDMI, maybe have a USB input and be able to use a simple remote for my wife. Anything too complicated and I'll have to listen to complaints.. Cost is not an issue whether it be 50/100/150 whatever. No need for 4K support as we're not changing our tv in the next few years, we do have HD though.

Really thinking this Roku Ultra, maybe overkill but looks good to me.. $139. at BestBuy
    Roku Ultra Streaming Media Player with Remote : Media Streamers - Best Buy Canada
  • 60" TV...la dee dah