Techno newb is cutting the cable

Comments

• Took a little break from setting this thing up last night after my wife got home. She doesn't like hearing me rage and swear which is my standard practice during situations like this.

One thing that was driving me crazy was the stupid mouse feature on this remote. Didn't know I'd have to calibrate the kinetics or whatever the kids are calling it these days. Every time I'd click to move the cur:cute:sor, it would literally move 1/8" across the screen. Couldn't even get Netflix running before I gave up for the night.

Lol. Just realized I'd cut the cable during the week before Superbowl Sunday. Oops. I don't suppose there's a way to stream that live is there?

Of coarse there is. How do u think I watched it while Korea.

Try in Google: Stream2watch don't no what . Is anymore. Might be .eu but u will get it. Just make sure u have a good ad blocker. Click of the X's u see on the screen and u have live sports from anywhere in the world.
    Prophet22
  • Of coarse there is. How do u think I watched it while Korea.

Try in Google: Stream2watch don't no what . Is anymore. Might be .eu but u will get it. Just make sure u have a good ad blocker. Click of the X's u see on the screen and u have live sports from anywhere in the world.
    Prophet22

Thanks Prophet. I'll give that a shot. If I can kick my wife off the couch for a while today I might even be able to find something on the Gbox to watch it with.

So, I've been surfing on the Matricom forum a bit this morning. The remote that came with this thing appears to be crushing the bandwidth to the suicide prevention hotline. The Logitech K400 keyboard seems to be a pretty popular choice.
  • The Logitech K400 keyboard seems to be a pretty popular choice.

Yeah this is a great keyboard, I use it for mine. Also recommend a Harmony Remote for "wife mode".
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    Yeah this is a great keyboard, I use it for mine. Also recommend a Harmony Remote for "wife mode".

I might just consider leaving the wdtv connected at this point for wife mode. This would also assure me that once I get the Gbox set up, she won't be bothered with trying to use it and screwing up all the settings/being upset because she can't figure it out.
  • How exactly did you set up tv / movie network shares in kodi? And could that be turned into one of the 5 icons in the videos section?
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    How exactly did you set up tv / movie network shares in kodi? And could that be turned into one of the 5 icons in the videos section?

Someone on the matricom forum has mentioned dl'ing the MX Player app from the google play store and not bothering with the native file browser on the Gbox. Do this along with the ARM V7 Kodec pack. I haven't tried this yet myself, but I remember Moose and I used this to view videos on our Nexus 7 tablets and it worked great. For me at least.

Just found the K400 keyboard/mouse on Amazon.ca for $39.99. Wish I'd ordered it along with the Gbox. Didn't think the remote for the Gbox was as horrible as it is.
  • You do realise that it is not a fly mouse right? After you put it into mouse mode you have to hold down the arrow buttons to move the pointer around. Its kind of like using an etchasketch but manageable.
  • moose wrote: »
    You do realise that it is not a fly mouse right? After you put it into mouse mode you have to hold down the arrow buttons to move the pointer around. Its kind of like using an etchasketch but manageable.

That's what I would have thought as well. Was holding down the buttons, but that didn't do anything at all. It would move 1/8" then stop. If it was like an etchasketch that would have been great. Not sure if mine's defective or if there's some setting I had to change. I did manage to find change mouse speed and changed it to 'fast'.

Gonna do a little more fiddling with this thing today.

Went to the local independent computer shop today to see if they carried the K400, which they do but for twice the price of Amazon. I'd like to support local businesses, but not really interested in paying twice the price. Sad reality for small businesses.

Edit: Got Fusion Genesis working for the most part. This is interesting. Just wanted to check out some different shows to make sure everything was doing what it's supposed to do. Looked at GOT S01 and couldn't find anything streaming in HD just SD? Sometimes, different movies were returning "One or more of the files failed to play, check log file" or something like that. I seem to remember this was happening the other day on my tablet and I cleared some memory which resolved the issue. Don't think we can do this on the Gbox.

Installed Netflix, MX Player and the codec packs. Have no idea where they went. Can't find out how to launch them or from where. Lol. I think I suck at the android environment.
  • Try the 'sd' version, as I said before you will be fine with it. Many shows you can only find in sd as thats how they were broadcast or released in season dvds. Less bandwidth....never a lag and about 1/3 the data. If a stream doesn't play...no matter what reason it gives you just move on to the next. You'll learn what links work generally after a bit and just go to them first.
    Thay MyGica box set up like a breeze and had a decent simple remote. Took the girlfriend about 5 minutes to become a streaming expert and she is about as technologically challenged as they come. I like to keep things nice and simple and sometimes the 'smart' remotes and tvs are anything but.
    Or you just like to make things complicated wildbill.....lol
    How exactly did you set up tv / movie network shares in kodi?

Navigate to "Videos" menu, Click "Add Videos"

Window will pop up, hit browse.

Choose "Windows Network (SMB)"

Navigate to your movies folder(s).

Window will pop up, "this folder contains" - pick "movies"

repeat for TV shows folder.

UBetIFold wrote: »
    And could that be turned into one of the 5 icons in the videos section?

Yes. There should be an option under the main menu, "appearance" to edit all aspects of the main menu, you can add custom shortcuts to anywhere in kodi, as well as external programs like netflix web browser etc. The idea being you boot right into kodi and use it as the front end for everything. Each skin has their own take on the customizations, so find the one you want then do your menus.
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    I like to keep things nice and simple and sometimes the 'smart' remotes and tvs are anything but.
    Or you just like to make things complicated wildbill.....lol

I swear, I'm trying to keep everything as simple and non complicated as possible. For myself, the dogs and my wife. We've got no smart devices or organisms in this house. As far as my remote goes, I think I got a dud. I've survived, thus far what with the first world problems and what not.
  • Your remote must be busto. Mine scrolls fine but slowly. Where is the mouse speed option. To clear memory hold down option button.

To add aps you DL hit home, go down to the bottom, edit rows, click on orange edit circle icon on row you want to add the app. All the apps will appear and you select the one you want.
  • Streaming kent vs bama right now but kinda fuzzy with sports devil addon. Will try and find a better source.
    Your remote must be busto. Mine scrolls fine but slowly. Where is the mouse speed option. To clear memory hold down option button.

Yep, the little light at the top lights up and blinks when I'm holding the directional buttons down. It just doesn't do anything. It doesn't appear this is an uncommon problem. I can't remember where I found the mouse speed option. I'll try and find it again later and let you know.

Yep, holding down option/configurable/ top middle button appears to be the one that dumps the cache if it's loaded. If you've watched a bunch of stuff, that's the way to go.
  • BTW I modded the cache settings using this video
    How To Increase The Cashe And Buffer Size For KOD…: http://youtu.be/BlKr3SyWguA

Using the settings in example 4 but I made the cache 200mb (209715200)

HOW-TO:Modify the video cache - Kodi
  • All discussion of Kodi/xmbc/GboxQ aside, in the 5 or so days since we've cut the cableTV out of the equation we've seen more interesting documentaries, more entertaining other stuff and less mindless filler type crap. It's not a matter of just 'watching what's on' any more. Even without having completely figured out the Gbox, Netflix is more than filling the gap.

I was talking to my wife about this yesterday and she's even saying that she doesn't miss the stuff she used to watch. She likes to just have the TV on in the background while doing stuff around the house, but now she at least chooses stuff that peaks your interest rather than just simple white noise.

I doubt we'll be going back to cable tv at any point in the future.

A couple of docs I'd recommend would be the one about the guy who created Bert's Bees:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3091282/

another being:
    Happy People, A year in the Taiga
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1683876/?ref_=nv_sr_1
  • But next time, after finding something on Netflix, go find it using kodi.
    But next time, after finding something on Netflix, go find it using kodi.

No doubt.

For today I'm trying to find out if there's a way I can stream the Superbowl.

Installed the NBC sports extra live addon and sportdevil addon. Tried accessing the pregame show stream, but I just keep getting the 'Playback failed: one or more of the files failed to play' error. Did a bunch of googling, but not finding much in terms of fixes. Maybe the show has to reach completion first before it gets streamed? I have no idea.

Just trying this on kodi on my pc for now. That seems to be the easiest way for me at this point. Once I get it working on there, then I try it on the Gbox.

FFS can't even find the stupid NBC sports live extra in google play on the damn tablet either. I'm fucked. (Oh, ok. It's not available in Canada. Thanks NBC.)
  • Surely one of "woody's" canadian or us network feeds would have the superbowl....although quality can be an issue
    Woodys is on Phoenix btw
  • here's a last resort stream link for you bill. (not sure if it will work on the android box though)
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    here's a last resort stream link for you bill. (not sure if it will work on the android box though)
    I would assume their box has a browser as mine does so anything available anywhere on the internet should be watchable through the box on the tv even if not using kodi/xmbc
  • At some point yesterday I just gave up when the needle on my care-o-meter went completely flaccid. Thanks for the info though guys. I didn't even know who won until this morning.
  • At some point yesterday I just gave up when the needle on my care-o-meter went completely flaccid. Thanks for the info though guys. I didn't even know who won until this morning.

So you couldn't find it at the site I gave you?:(

As for me, I have download kodi to my computer and have it up and running. It uses Project tv, which I already use as well as the stream 2 stream sight that use as well.

I just need to make a favorites listing from all the different apps and I will be all set.

Do you guys buy the Gbox to avoid having the computer set up to the tv?

Prophet22
  • So you couldn't find it at the site I gave you?:(

As for me, I have download kodi to my computer and have it up and running. It uses Project tv, which I already use as well as the stream 2 stream sight that use as well.

I just need to make a favorites listing from all the different apps and I will be all set.

Do you guys buy the Gbox to avoid having the computer set up to the tv?

Prophet22

I did try the site you put up Prophet. For some reason there was a weird green box covering part of the feed. On top of that there was a chat box on the side with some troll offering bjs to anyone that was interested. Lol. Kind of made me think my wife wouldn't have enjoyed the game as much as we were hoping for.

Yep, that's pretty much why I got the gbox. For streaming to the TV. I suppose at the end of the day getting an el cheapo PC and turning it into a HTPC would have worked as well.
  • I did try the site you put up Prophet. For some reason there was a weird green box covering part of the feed. On top of that there was a chat box on the side with some troll offering bjs to anyone that was interested. Lol. Kind of made me think my wife wouldn't have enjoyed the game as much as we were hoping for.

Yep, that's pretty much why I got the gbox. For streaming to the TV. I suppose at the end of the day getting an el cheapo PC and turning it into a HTPC would have worked as well.

Too bad, my ad blocker blocks most of them out. Once you find the X's and click on them it allows you to go full screen.I always turn the chat off. As far as the game goes all you missed was stupidity at its best. I will post the justification in the SB thread.
  • BTW right now the kid is streaming The Adventures of Puss in Boots, which is a Netflix series that came out Jan. 16.
  • Basically had to put this whole process on hold as the lack of mouse skills on my remote made the thing effectively useless. That being said, my Logitech K400 is supposed to be arriving today one day ahead of schedule (assuming they don't close the roads, again.)! Finally going to be able to play with this new toy.

I have tried to get in touch with Matricom about the remote, but never did hear back from them.
  • I do have a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse attached via a USB dongle, but for the most part I've been fine with going through menus, sections etc with just the included remote (not on the mouse setting as its terrible). Haven't really had any issues there.

STILL haven't been able to program that custom button on remote to launch media center from wherever you are. Gave up on it.

Thx to BFillMaff for the instruction on how to view media from my desktop via Kodi through the network. The only problem is I guess the files I have are not supported with this matricom box. I open a video folder that I know contains 20 tv episodes, and it is completely empty inside. I didn't go on my computer to check and see what video format it is, but I knew anything I ever d/l'ed b4, it would play on the WD.

Only other concern, is the amount of dead links. I probably need to learn it better still but there are just soo many streams that no longer exist at all. I know through genesis I can probably find any tv show, but sometimes I like to live stream a particular channel ( commercials and all) but haven't had a lot of luck. I came across "Canada on demand" which is a video add on that is now unfortunately almost entirely a dead link, which is unfortunate as this one add on would probably be the best to have when cutting cable. It contains everything you could think of, including at one point local news stations.
  • Use Woody's channel in the phoenix addon
    Thx to BFillMaff for the instruction on how to view media from my desktop via Kodi through the network. The only problem is I guess the files I have are not supported with this matricom box. I open a video folder that I know contains 20 tv episodes, and it is completely empty inside. I didn't go on my computer to check and see what video format it is, but I knew anything I ever d/l'ed b4, it would play on the WD.

More likely its the naming conventions than the file format. For best results make sure everything has the show name and a "SxxExx" in the file name, for example "Game.of.Thrones.S02E14.mkv"

I posted somewhere in here about the files view versus the metadata view. Try using the files view, it should pick up everything regardless of naming or folder structure. If it works for you, you can save the files view for your TV / Movies / etc folders individually as favorites, and then link to them from the home screen replacing the built in ones.