Techno newb is cutting the cable

Comments

• I hated TV long before that, and I never really got into the whole DVD thing.

To be quite honest, I missed out on a whole generation of programming. Kind of went through a lengthy period of just not watching much of anything. I enjoy silence at times.
    Yeah I was just busting your balls. Many think they need higher resolution not realizing that almost everything they've watched their whole lives including dvds are only 480p. The corporations just keep increasing resolution now to sell new generations of gadgets and tvs. I mean this 2160p....gimme a break. Nobody's eyes are good enought to need this unless you are one inch from the tv.
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    Yeah I was just busting your balls. Many think they need higher resolution not realizing that almost everything they've watched their whole lives including dvds are only 480p. The corporations just keep increasing resolution now to sell new generations of gadgets and tvs. I mean this 2160p....gimme a break. Nobody's eyes are good enought to need this unless you are one inch from the tv.
    I was actually gonna say the same thing when I saw your post about 2160p. At this point, I love 1080p. In a handful of years I won't be able to tell the difference between that and 720p. In 10yrs, I'll be listening to talk radio and bitching about politics. Again.
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    There is also a matricom support forum with a wealth of information.

Just checked out the forum. Wow, there's a lot of anger on there. I thought we had it bad on here at times.

Lots of information though. Seems like Matricom pretty much lets the forum run itself with the community attempting to help the community, but didn't notice any reps from Matricom itself posting much on there. Do that for too long and unanswered questions will result in some seriously upset people from the looks of things.

Just noticed they have a Matricom Canada FB page as well where you can angrily post questions/rage outbursts/fanboy statements if necessary. It does appear that someone from Matricom Canada will respond to these however.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on this and ordered one. Can't wait to have a new toy.
  • As long as the roads stay open, I should be getting one of these delivered today! Very exciting.
  • I'm hoping today I can actually start configuring it and getting all the add ons. Been too busy trying to get it wired, and now to patch up some drywall because of said wired connection.

What are the best music / video add ons I should get, what are you guys using? Moose, BFillMaff?
    I'm hoping today I can actually start configuring it and getting all the add ons. Been too busy trying to get it wired, and now to patch up some drywall because of said wired connection.

I hope you were delicate in said drywall removal. Makes patching much easier. I've had friends that used the rage venting method of removal. Makes things a little messier and more time consuming.

Once this thing shows up (hopefully today), I'm gonna be perusing this thread looking for the same information you are Sir.
  • Just use fusion. It does it all
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    Just use fusion. It does it all

Best method to get fusion?

I know there are a lot of you tube vids on it, I just don't know if some are from other ppl with their own programming of some sort added into the mix. Basically looking for an authentic version of it.
    Best method to get fusion?

I know there are a lot of you tube vids on it, I just don't know if some are from other ppl with their own programming of some sort added into the mix. Basically looking for an authentic version of it.

I think Moose put up a link of how to access Fusion on pg 9 or something like this in this thread. Once you get Fusion, you get Genesis. On my PC, that's where I was trying to find obscure TV shows it wouldn't be able to find.

I couldn't trick it.

I think there are more feeds than just Genesis through Fusion, but until I get the box I wasn't going to bother fooling around with it any more. I hate watching video on my computer.
  • Genesis is good. Primewire seems to find the ones I want when Genesis can't. I haven't even tried exploring all the others.
    Genesis is good. Primewire seems to find the ones I want when Genesis can't. I haven't even tried exploring all the others.

So, Primewire is another feed you access through Fusion?
  • Yep. Not as nice but included in the custom setup. Used to be called 1channel.
    Yep. Not as nice but included in the custom setup. Used to be called 1channel.

Ah, ok. I did see 1channel on there the other day.

Just arrived at the door!
  • genesis scrapes a lot of the other channels so all I use is genesis, although the vast number of links can be overwhelming. 98% of the time I find a working link in the first 10 links or so. Genesis scrapes primewire BTW so it includes their links.
  • The remote this thing comes with is the size of a tootsie roll.
  • The remote this thing comes with is the size of a tootsie roll.

I still haven't figured out how to setup the custom button in the top middle. Preferably would like it to launch kodi
    I still haven't figured out how to setup the custom button in the top middle. Preferably would like it to launch kodi

The starting guide indicates it defaults to Media Center and can be changed in settings menu uner FN button. I thought Media Center was their version of XMBC/KODI? At least the interface.

My understanding is that this thing will do everything my wdtv will and more, so I assume I can just pull my wdtv at this point? I still have to have access to Netflix which we're running off the wdtv until I get this thing up and running very smoothly or my wife will kill me.
  • Your correct in this will do all of what the WD did and more and could likely just get rid of it. You could d/l Netflix from the google play store to run it off the new box.

The button on my remote doesn't do anything. Will have to look into setting it.

And 'media center' is kodi, they just named it that.
  • Also from the main home screen of the G-box, a long hold of the (3line button) activates a rocket ship on screen and I'm guessing clears some memory up to run more efficiently.
  • How much did you pay for this magical box?
    Your correct in this will do all of what the WD did and more and could likely just get rid of it. You could d/l Netflix from the google play store to run it off the new box.

Good to know. I really wasn't looking forward to yet another set of HDMI, ethernet and power cables behind my system. The thing is a god damn mess of electrical/data spaghetti as it is. Every time I move the stand my stereo is on and look behind... I sigh.
    How much did you pay for this magical box?

First born child.

$139 @ amazon.ca
  • First born child.

$139 @ amazon.ca

Same.
  • Mine was $121 USD off ebay (Canadian seller). But with our .77 dollar, not a good idea anymore.

I straight unplugged the wdtv and put in the g box instead. I plugged in a couple of usb drives and good to go. I haven't yet tried to connect to my shared media files from my computers. Yeah I would reccy just adding the Netflix app from the play store.

I didn't have time to show my kid how to use the g box so the little bugger TWICE unplugged the g box and swapped back in the WDTV before I could show him how to use the new box. lol.
  • moose wrote: »
    Mine was $121 USD off ebay (Canadian seller). But with our .77 dollar, not a good idea anymore.

I straight unplugged the wdtv and put in the g box instead. I plugged in a couple of usb drives and good to go. I haven't yet tried to connect to my shared media files from my computers. Yeah I would reccy just adding the Netflix app from the play store.

I didn't have time to show my kid how to use the g box so the little bugger TWICE unplugged the g box and swapped back in the WDTV before I could show him how to use the new box. lol.

Yeah, I've decided to just leave the wdtv connected until I actually dl the Netflix app and see it working from the Gbox. Will keep things civil around the house, until I can show the better half how this thing works.

Just installing 1.2.1 update now. First impressions... Wow, this remote does kind of suck. It's pretty flimsy. Kept double tapping as I was trying to type in my pwd from google. Had to go back and retype the thing 4 times. It's not an easy pwd. There's no way I'm going to be able to maintain my sanity without an actual keyboard. Probably going to get the one you mentioned which had good reviews.

Installation was pretty straightforward thus far. Kind of annoying when I told it I wanted ethernet hookup, then during google account setup it kept asking me which wifi network I wanted. After a few attempts it allowed me to bypass that.

Edit: Moose, if you've got this thing hooked up to your PC via network what are the usb drives you've hooked up for?
  • Because mine is wdtv not a wdtv live.
  • I still haven't figured how to set that damn custom button. In better news I've been on a tear of streaming tv shows and movies since I completed the fusion add on

What are the best music / video add ons I should get, what are you guys using? Moose, BFillMaff?

yep, what these guys said for the video add ons.

For a music streaming add on, Radiotunes. Aside from that I mostly stream music to Kodi from my phone. For me its great as I always have an up to date playlist on my phone, versus trying to navigate a massive library on the TV. The streaming is built right into kodi - you can enable it through the settings menu but need to install a driver first.
  • to give some ideas for those still staring at a boring list view, here's some examples of the Rapier skin. All the cover art and imdb info will download automatically if your folders are half decently organized.

1. TV Library (network share)
    2. Movies Library (network share)
    3. Genesis, info view
    4. Genesis, wall view

o5njly.png
    k1t3qq.png
    34iilpg.png
    25t80tx.png
  • Took a little break from setting this thing up last night after my wife got home. She doesn't like hearing me rage and swear which is my standard practice during situations like this.

One thing that was driving me crazy was the stupid mouse feature on this remote. Didn't know I'd have to calibrate the kinetics or whatever the kids are calling it these days. Every time I'd click to move the cursor, it would literally move 1/8" across the screen. Couldn't even get Netflix running before I gave up for the night.

Lol. Just realized I'd cut the cable during the week before Superbowl Sunday. Oops. I don't suppose there's a way to stream that live is there?