Techno newb is cutting the cable

Comments

• moose wrote: »
    OK I saw the one bill linked but the reviews were terrible.

It seems like it got some pretty decent reviews on the amazon.ca site though? 4stars?

Haven't read up on the one by Matricom yet. The flynote.
  • It seems like it got some pretty decent reviews on the amazon.ca site though? 4stars?

Haven't read up on the one by Matricom yet. The flynote.

4/8 most recent review said do not waste your money.

I found the ipazz on dx.com, a site I use often. Free shipping. You can be charged in $CDN too.

http://www.dx.com/p/ipazzport-kp-810-21l-wireless-2-4ghz-usb-mini-92-key-keyboard-w-touch-pad-black-2-x-aaa-373208#.VMVCuiwtE-E
    Remote Control keyboard

Edit: AW crap won't ship to Canada and not on Amazon.ca

isn't the one wildbill just linked the exact same just a bit more expensive but on the .ca site?
    4/8 most recent review said do not waste your money.

I found the ipazz on dx.com, a site I use often. Free shipping

iPazzPort KP-810-21L Wireless 2.4GHz USB Mini 92-Key Keyboard w/ Touch Pad - Black (2 x AAA) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Wonder what the difference is between that one and this one?

iPazzport 2.4G Wireless 81-key Keyboard Touchpad for Raspberry PI / Pcduino / PC /Android TV - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    isn't the one wildbill just linked the exact same just a bit more expensive but on the .ca site?

Looks the same, different manufacturer - the Chinese guys are knocking each other off now. Use my dx.com link above for free shipping and charges in $CDN. Comes to $19.11 right now which is a decent exchange rate considering the state of the dollar.

• They seem to carry all the ipazz models. If my box comes tomorrow and I want a keyboard I think I will get the kp-810-21 model first and if I like it, I may get a flymote for playing games.
  • Another question , what speed of Internet would be needed to do a lot of streaming. Or Better yet, what download and upload speeds are you guys running?

I just did a test and got 30 mbps d/l and 2.2 upload. If I cancelled cable I would have to step up my Internet a few notches.
    30 mbps d/l and 2.2 upload

you'll be fine with that. a typical stream would use 1-3mbps.
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    you'll be fine with that. a typical stream would use 1-3mbps.

Really? I assure you I'm not questioning your tech kungfu, as it's obviously better than mine. We hooked up with Netflix a week ago or so as they said we needed at least 5Mb/s and we had 6.8Mb/s. Of course at that point I read a bunch of reviews that said a more realistic number required was 8-10Mb/s to run it effectively. So we upped our internet package to where we're now getting around 19.8Mb/s.

That being said and I'm not kidding, 10 seconds ago my wife's watching a movie on Netflix and the damn thing hung up. WDTV controller frozen, couldn't get it to stop/pause/power off, etc. I just had to unplug the damn thing.

Keeping technology going is becoming a full time job for me at this point.
  • Really? We hooked up with Netflix a week ago or so as they said we needed at least 5Mb/s and we had 6.8Mb/s.

All good, upgrading to better than 5Mb/s is a good idea whether you are streaming or not! But yeah:

15xppbr.jpg
  • As much as I love my wdtv. I think I have to unplug and plug back in everytime I use it
    As much as I love my wdtv. I think I have to unplug and plug back in everytime I use it

I never had problems with mine other than it forgetting my network shares until recently. Just had to unplug it on ours to get this stupid romantic comedy back up and running. I love being the only tech consultant in the house.

Damn dogs just sit back and do nothing but sleep through it all.
    They seem to carry all the ipazz models. If my box comes tomorrow and I want a keyboard I think I will get the kp-810-21 model first and if I like it, I may get a flymote for playing games.

Trying to figure out what the difference is between the 12 and the 21, other than the mention of google tv.
    Also, is there any definitive links re: live hockey games, live local news?

Haven't found anything through Kodi to stream live games. But I do know a site on the internet that does have them: ifeed2all.eu.

As for 'local' news, just attach an antenna to your tv and you'll be able to get any local channels. I use an indoor rabbit ears to watch CTV Kitchener, no problem.
  • Does news still broadcast via that method? Thought everything was digital now. And where would I even attempt to find a set of rabbit ears?

Edit: the you tube video stream-team that someone posted in this thread a couple pages back seemed to have a lot in the way of hockey streams, it would just be news.
    Does news still broadcast via that method? Thought everything was digital now. And where would I even attempt to find a set of rabbit ears?

yes, and yes. It's an over the air broadcast, but in digital. Believe it or not its very high quality - you can even get some of them in 1080.

a surplus store etc should have an antenna. Only time I ever played around with this I made one out of coat hangers... got a few channels but never really pursued it further.
  • Either way. Bit the bullet today and bought it off amazon.ca. $139 + tax shipping included. Worst case scenario it'll just replace my old wdtv. Should be here in a week or so. TR to follow.
    Either way. Bit the bullet today and bought it off amazon.ca. $139 + tax shipping included. Worst case scenario it'll just replace my old wdtv. Should be here in a week or so. TR to follow.

You are such a brave man Sir. I'm going to be looking forward to Moose's and now your trip reports, otherwise I'm just gonna dive into the deep end and order one of these plus the wireless keyboard myself and throw caution to the wind and see how it goes.

I can't remember the last tech gadget I bought and that's usually how the wife and I budget for it so I'm due.

• I can't remember the last tech gadget I bought .

Horseless carriage? :D
    Does news still broadcast via that method? Thought everything was digital now. And where would I even attempt to find a set of rabbit ears?

Edit: the you tube video stream-team that someone posted in this thread a couple pages back seemed to have a lot in the way of hockey streams, it would just be news.

It's digital, but the old antennas still get the signal. The only difference is that if the signal is not strong enough, you will get zero picture, instead of fuzzy snow like with analog signal. The picture will either be perfect or nothing.

You don't need 'rabbit ears', I just had them lying around. You can buy an antenna at any electronics retailer for about $15. I'd get one with a signal booster, ie it plugs into the wall.
  • Since the ipazz USA site doesn't have a '12', I'm guessing at some point some Chinese dropshipper typoed the number and the resellers just copied it.
    Trying to figure out what the difference is between the 12 and the 21, other than the mention of google tv.

The wife has been streaming all week and we only have 5 Mbps which is actually more like 4.2 Mbps. I think the greatest factor is actually the source. If the stream doesn't start playing in under 10-15 sec, I move on to a different stream.
    Since the ipazz USA site doesn't have a '12', I'm guessing at some point some Chinese dropshipper typoed the number and the resellers just copied it.

The wife has been streaming all week and we only have 5 Mbps which is actually more like 4.2 Mbps. I think the greatest factor is actually the source. If the stream doesn't start playing in under 10-15 sec, I move on to a different stream.

Well, for Christ sake maybe we upgraded our interweb for not and didn't have to. Either way, once we get this all figured out we can change things up again as necessary.

I was wondering the same about the dropshipper and being the same product.
    Since the ipazz USA site doesn't have a '12', I'm guessing at some point some Chinese dropshipper typoed the number and the resellers just copied it.

I didn't think anything under 10 mbps was even offered anymore. Is this dsl?
  • SuperNed wrote: »

Around here you can still get what they advertise as "tri speed" (3Xdialup) which will give you up to 1Mb/s. I can't believe they are still gauging stuff in relation to dial up, but hey it's Kincardine. We had "High speed" which was up to 7Mb/s and you got 6.8. Bumped up to "ultra high speed", which is up to 20 and you get 19.4 or something like that. All of this is through cable, not ADSL.

All of these are advertised in comparison to dial up speeds. Ha, I can barely remember when I first had dial up.
  • SuperNed wrote: »

Cogeco offers 6MB and Bell offers 5MB Fibe as packages currently.
  • Got the box today but it started updating right away so I'm in a holding pattern right now. No problem connecting to WiFi though and settings menu is exact same as any android device so easy to go through.
    Got the box today but it started updating right away so I'm in a holding pattern right now. No problem connecting to WiFi though and settings menu is exact same as any android device so easy to go through.

Hope this goes well. Looking forward to hearing about the results.

I've heard something about it having to update right away. I think it's shipped with a native version of Kodi that has to be updated right off the bat.

You've got me interested in reviewing that episode of the bionic woman in Vegas that I barely remember snipits of.

I've also heard it gives best results (for HD) if ethernet connected rather than wifi, but that did come from the interweb. Take that for what it's worth. Oh wait, this is the interweb!
  • Running kodi config wizard now. Should be streaming shortly. Remote isn't bad just took a bit of getting used to. There is a mouse button to turn the remote into a mouse. Tried my wireless keyboard but it didn't work. Prolly too old. So maybe an hour to setup, including the update DL and install and fooling around with the wireless keyboard?
  • Streaming Fembots in Vegas right now through the genesis app on kodi. Note you don't have to install kodi it is preinstalled and called mediacenter. Just need to put on the addons.
  • Just for the sake of being able to find more info about this thing for reference I tried to look it up on AVS. Not much on the Gbox-Q, but there is some info about it's predecessor the MX2 and midnight. Kind of weird, but it is what it is.

Great to hear this thing is working so far Moose.