Dead pool iv - team rosters

Comments

• The intent was never to post each 50 man roster, only the drafted teams. Once those were posted, dubious picks (eg., Ms. Sommer) would be subbed with the highest non-draftee remaining on that list.

Alice Herz sommer was on the Mill's roster last year which is what sparked the whole "World's Oldest . . ." discussion in the first place. It was decided to leave here be, but eliminate picks of that type for this year.

Onoda qualifies imo, as I have seen a "Ripley's" cartoon about him, and iirc there was even a blurb on the old show That's Incredible". His fame is not age related, but more the oddity of it.

Marrerro, if you look him up, had a fairly short pro career, but his impact on Cuban baseball was pretty substantial.

I agree with KWSteve about Don Willson, but think the two sport argument has some merit, so more discussion is warranted

Paul Henderson may yet end up on a roster.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Paul Henderson may yet end up on a roster.

Who's Paul Henderson? ;)

What the heck are we doing posting on here on xmas morning...? :bs: We need lives...
  • Hockey player or Olympic poohbah take your pick, but one of doesn't have long . . .
  • Alice was famous BEFORE the concentration camps, she was an accomplished pianist and from a very wealthy/influential family. This is the reason that kept her alive during the war. She was sent to Theresienstadt which was the "nice" death camp.

This is where the nazis brought the Red Cross and other foreigners to show that the camps weren't all that bad, while in the camps she played for all of the who's who of the third Reich. After the war, she went on to teach at a university in Israel.

Yeah, a lot of her notoriety comes from living so long and surviving the camps (no small feat) but she was famous before the war, she probably wouldn't have survived the war if she wasn't.

Read up on crazy Japanese soldier guy....he's in

Which Don Wilson we talking bout? Theres like 20
  • TheMill wrote: »
    Alice was famous BEFORE the concentration camps, she was an accomplished pianist and from a very wealthy/influential family. This is the reason that kept her alive during the war. She was sent to Theresienstadt which was the "nice" death camp.

This is where the nazis brought the Red Cross and other foreigners to show that the camps weren't all that bad, while in the camps she played for all of the who's who of the third Reich. After the war, she went on to teach at a university in Israel.

Yeah, a lot of her notoriety comes from living so long and surviving the camps (no small feat) but she was famous before the war, she probably wouldn't have survived the war if she wasn't.

Read up on crazy Japanese soldier guy....he's in

Which Don Wilson we talking bout? Theres like 20

Don Willson . . . note the spelling.
  • Okay, I just got through S1 of The Walking Dead with the family. Would dearly love to know what Jenner whispered to Rick at the end, but back to work . . .

We will easily surpass last year's squad sizes. Lots of variety . . .
  • Okay, we ended up with rosters of 24 players each. WildBill loses Klugman, but adds Tariq Aziz in his place. There will be some discussion now about ineligible players, which is what was intended.

I would like to add the following: I think Bill's idea is a solid one, with regards to selection. I think that, going forward Manager's should pick whomever they like, no questions asked. If you want to pick Aunt Bertha, go ahead. but I like the idea of an agreed upon registry for "winning". In other words, if Aunt bertha does not appear in one of the agreed upon publications when she passes you get bupkis. Those are my thoughts, but I do not have money involved.

Going to update the teams, now . . . stay tuned . . . done.
    I think Bill's idea is a solid one

Standard.

Just out of residual sensitivity, I'm gonna mention that I threw it out ages ago.
  • Death Row inmates or persons under a sentence of death, regardless of country, or status of appeals. NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ANY REASON.

^^^^^^
    Tariq Aziz
    Death Row inmates or persons under a sentence of death, regardless of country, or status of appeals. NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ANY REASON.

^^^^^^
    Tariq Aziz

The warrant for his execution has never been signed, and it is unlikely will ever be signed. He is not currently under warrant for execution and cannot be legally executed. However, he is and has been ill for some time while in prison, and he will likely die in prison from illness or old age. I don't suspect he's in a 5* with a personal nurse.

On 17 November 2010, it was reported that Iraqi President Jalal Talabani had declared that he would not sign Aziz's execution order. Neither he, nor anyone else has ever done so.

If he gets murdered or otherwise kicks the bucket while in prison, he's mine and I take the monies.

I'm willing to gamble. If he gets executed, he's out.

If people have a problem with this, please bump him Milo and take the next person on my roster.

I'm easy going that way.
  • **Redacted** Bill I read the quick-hit on Wiki about him for some clarification. You are right, the order has not been signed, but he HAS been sentenced to death, which is part of the quoted rule. I am going to switch him out. As irony would have it, our old friend Milo Hamilton makes into your squad.

Any further discussion on Ms. Sommer? I believe the vote is currently split . . .
    **Redacted** Bill I read the quick-hit on Wiki about him for some clarification. You are right, the order has not been signed, but he HAS been sentenced to death, which is part of the quoted rule. I am going to switch him out. As irony would have it, our old friend Milo Hamilton makes into your squad.

Not a problem. Milo will have to do.

*please read with humor*
  • We'll discuss that tomorrow. If we both make it through the snow.
    **Redacted** Bill I read the quick-hit on Wiki about him for some clarification. You are right, the order has not been signed, but he HAS been sentenced to death, which is part of the quoted rule. I am going to switch him out. As irony would have it, our old friend Milo Hamilton makes into your squad.

Any further discussion on Ms. Sommer? I believe the vote is currently split . . .

I think that depends. If we go by the rules in the ghoul pool or an amended version we agree on , I'd say fire it up. That hasn't been decided yet. You and I appear to be in agreement, but others haven't commented. If she makes it in approved media sources, she's good. If not, no pay. If agreed upon of course.
  • If he gets murdered or otherwise kicks the bucket while in prison, he's mine and I take the monies.

more than cool with this, your call if he's in or out
  • Based on our published rules, he's out.
    If he gets murdered or otherwise kicks the bucket while in prison, he's mine and I take the monies.

more than cool with this, your call if he's in or out

Personally, I'd like to take this offer, but it's not my choice. I'd like the guy dead, and I'd like to make money off it.

Per the specific rules, I guess he's out as he is technically on death row but without an execution warrant. Not sure if that makes him on death row or sitting in limbo.

I guess that depends on what each country describes as death row and what we agree on. In the interests of just getting this thing rolling, I'm good with seeing Milo..........................................Hamilton, do his thing. If that coincides with my thing.
    Based on our published rules, he's out.

Is what we've discussed re: media confirmation solid published? Not being an ass, we just need to confirm this with all before we start this thing.

I don't want a bunch of arguements throughout this thing all year and we have a handful of days to sort it out. To me it's simple.

Nobody needs to say "I'm out", or "it's too complicated", or whatever.

Not arguing Tariq. If he's out, he's out. Let's just do this.
  • I agree with Bill's rules.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    I agree with Bill's rules.

Don't wimp out just cuz he's a new mod... I agree with Milo's ruling... He's impartial..;)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Don't wimp out just cuz he's a new mod... I agree with Milo's ruling... He's impartial..;)

Now you're just being a trouble maker and trying to get Costanza to call me out!

:D

Plus, I don't think that's what he's talking about.
  • Is there a specific media publication the news of a death is to be published in?
  • I swear if I suggest people look at ghoulpool.com rules in the top left corner of their site one more time, I'm gonna get banned for spamming and have a massive coronary. Man I need some serious pharmaceuticals at this point..

They have a reasonable, comprehensive list of media resources we can use for the purposes of vetting DPIV deaths. We can add to it if we deem it necessary.
  • It appears you mean THEghoulpool.com?
  • Yes.. That's the one. The one I've linked. Previously.

Shoot me. If you've got me picked I'll give you $7 or whatever it is myself.
  • My poker stars account is same as my name here. If you're really that suicidal transfer the payment. And sleep tight. ;)
  • Sorry to all that tried to contact me about the pool over the last couple of days. Even though this last year was financially successful for me, without solidified rules on picks I decided to stay out. Some of the picks I saw last year still left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I didn't have the time or inclination to push for a standard set of rules this late in the year.
  • Tariq Aziz is out because the rules, as written, specifiy "under a sentence of death". He was sentenced to death by the court, so he is out.

We never specified specific sources, although we can hash that out in a couple days, if we want to. The only caveat I would put with that is that if we are going to get specific with sources for obits, then we should just open it up (death row types aside) and go for broke.

So perhaps we should sort that part first:

A) sort out the "problem players" and go on with this, or

B) everyone is fine but they have to be mentioned by publication "X" for you to be paid.

Al, thanks for your thoughts.
  • b.

List of publications:
    CNN
    MSNBC
    FoxNews
    CBC (Canada)
    The Globe & Mail (Canada)
    BBC News (UK)
    The Guardian (UK)
    The Telegraph (UK)
    Sports Illustrated
    ESPN
    Variety
    USA Today
    The Economist
    Guess where I got these from.

I'd add Reuters. Feel free to suggest others.