Dead pool iv - team rosters

Comments

• Fine. Let everyone in. Who cares about vetting.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    If I can't have the Band of Brothers survivors, then Japanese officers are off limits too.

The question I posed re: the Band of Brothers Vets, is whether they were famous because of the movie, or if their fame brought the movie about.

In the case of Inoda, he achieved his notoriety by his refusal to come out of the jungle, carrying on the war for almost 30 years AFTER the Japanese surrender. Personally, I consider that pretty noteworthy. But I am just 1 vote.
  • I'm still pretty mad that you are ignoring 2 (maybe 3) mangers who are questioning certain picks.

If this is how it's going to be, then withdrawal my list from the pool. I'm out.
  • falls into what I would call the category of World's Oldest _________ . In this case it is World's Oldest Holocaust survivor. The wiki page on her has nothing else of any real note other than that shge was a music teacher.

I would suggest that she needs to be replaced.
  • Johnnie, i can only answer questions one at a time. I just posted about Sommer. Lets deal with that first, okay?

And I am not ignoring ANYONE. You are the only one I am certain is even pissed. Bill might be posting sarcastically, but I am not certain.
    I'm still pretty mad that you are ignoring 2 (maybe 3) mangers who are questioning certain picks.

If this is how it's going to be, then withdrawal my list from the pool. I'm out.

You're taking the fun out of this before it even starts.

I believe the 2 you questioned from my selections were both picked last year. I could be wrong, but if it was ok for 2012 why not 2013?

We discussed posting the 50 man rosters. out of curiousity I'd like to know how late I could of got certain picks, one reason I'd like to see all 50 pre-selected. I originally had nelson Mandela around 20th, but with is current hospitalization I made him a higher priority. Would I have got him if I left him at 20?

I don't think it is that simple for him to just pull your team, would that mean the picks you made are not eligable for everyone else? Or does he start over, changing everyones teams?
  • Folks . . . Alice Herz Sommer? Yes or No? My vote would be no . . . any discussion?
  • I have to take the dogs for a walk, but will comment on the above later.

Deep breaths everyone, deep breaths. We can make this work. Somehow.

Let's all just take a step back for a few minutes and calm down. No decisions need to be made right this second. We can do this.

I've got bills to pay and need your ALL of your money.
  • Yes on alice, why to come later on this pm. more than world's oldest ......
  • Quite honestly, I am perfectly willing to forward all the rosters to anyone willing to run it however they like. In my view, so far, there is one dubious name, which I have asked for comment on. The others that have been mentioned (Marrerro and Onoda) have what I would consider to be a level of fame that qualifies them based on the rules posted before this all started. Others disagree. There is one other I would consider flagging, but I am curious if others feel the same. If no one brings them up, no worries.
  • Guys give out illustrious organizer a break here, take a breath and lets work through this... JohnnieH, are you really angry over this? For heavens sake think of the children...:) Milo, go out and have a nice xmas eve.. Bill and I will watch it for a while...
  • I'm alright with taking sommer off, I didn't realize she was a worlds oldest ___.
  • Death poolers gonna death pool
  • Thanks Tony, but then what was your basis for choosing her besides that?
  • Also, johnnie I hope you're kidding about my entire roster.. Nearly all of my picks are from old rosters from last year. The only ones I added of my own are relatively famous musicians and actors.
  • costanza wrote: »
    Death poolers gonna death pool

Members only please . . . no riff raff.

Guys, I am off for the night, I will finish the draft on Boxing Day. In the meantime, I plan on having a few drinks with friends, and a great day with family tomorrow.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas . . .

even costanza ;)
  • Milo wrote: »
    Thanks Tony, but then what was your basis for choosing her besides that?

I believe she was on someone's roster last year. I did a quick wiki search on all my picks and must have overlooked that she was a world's oldest person. I picked her as my first based purely on age.
  • Thanks for the hard work milo. Have a fun night
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    I believe the 2 you questioned from my selections were both picked last year. I could be wrong, but if it was ok for 2012 why not 2013?

Like I said, if they made the List in previous years, then you can keep them.
    Jacen299 wrote: »
    We discussed posting the 50 man rosters.

We discussed posting the entire draft pool before the selection process so we could vet in advance. I'm still not sure why after so much discussion on this it didn't happen. Obviously there would have been a ton of overlapping picks.
    Jacen299 wrote: »
    I originally had nelson Mandela around 20th, but with is current hospitalization I made him a higher priority. Would I have got him if I left him at 20?

Not sure what you are saying here. Yes, place him higher on your list if you think there is less chance at nabbing him.
  • Sommer was on a list last year, so I guess she's OK.
  • I'm gonna say it now. I don't think anyone read this when I posted it because we were all in a furor over things. I posted this early on in the discussion in the other thread and I think it was the easiest criterion to follow for vetting celeb status.

The following website:
    The Ghoul Pool
    is one of the largest dead pools on the net. Click on rules in the top left corner. It's clear and simple.

It's a gamble. If your dead don't appear in the listed media sources when they kick the bucket, you don't get paid. Make your picks accordingly. If you want to take the worlds oldest bottle cap collector, go ahead. If they don't make it in the listed media sources when they die, yer hooped and don't get paid.

We can work this out. It's going to take some mish mashing and cool heads, but we can do this.

I'm noticing that new people to the pool have more 'lacking in celeb' status picks than previous managers, not that we don't have some. I'm sure that's because the incumbents have been through the arguements again and again and made more of an effort to make sure their celebs were truly celebs.

And yes, thanks for the hard work Milo. I hope you'll still be a part of resolving this.

Please for the love of god check out the ghoulpool website link I listed. Give it some thought. The biggest dead pool on the net can't have done it wrong and there (as I said earlier, but nobody listened to me or responded) is no need to reinvent the wheel.

I gotta bbq some steaks, but will check in on this in a bit.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Folks . . . Alice Herz Sommer? Yes or No? My vote would be no . . . any discussion?

I anonymously vote no. I'd hate to influence anyone voting on my so called infamous picks.

Not sure what you are saying here. Yes, place him higher on your list if you think there is less chance at nabbing him.

Was just explaining why I would be curious to see the 50 man rosters. Not that it would make a difference after the fact.

I bumped him way up to make him a priority. But if I left him at 20 would I still have got him is all I wonder.
  • Nobody picked Paul Henderson?
  • Just saw Jack Klugman died
  • I'm gonna need to change things based on this.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Nobody picked Paul Henderson?

Had him, but at #46... Didn't get that far.

I only got down to about 16 or so..
  • The only ones I feel are questionable are Don Willson (the extent of his fame is a 22 game cup of coffee in the NHL) and Alice Herz-Sommer (her fame stems from books and films made about her story, same as Johnnie's Band of Brothers picks. If the movies had not been made, would anyone know about them?)
  • I had Paul Henderson but not till further down. I'm agreeable to swap sommer for henderson if nobody objects.
  • Sorry guys this is my first dead pool so I'm still trying to figure out the process. So I understand that the rosters aren't fully set, we're vetting now so I can still lightly edit my roster? I'll remove sommer which means I need to substitute someone else in her place or can I just take her out and bump everyone else up 1 spot in my roster? Doesn't that mean that other people's rosters will change since some of my picks will overlap with others?