Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• moose wrote: »
    Oh great, Captain Ejection.

Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks this is a bad idea.
  • Over/under on first fight with Lawrie 17 days, o/u on 2nd fight with Lawrie 8 days.

o/u for first fine for not wearing uniform under jacket = 6 days
  • This move reeks of desperation. For a guy who did so much research the first time around and didn't even ask Farrell his feelings about going back to Boston if the opportunity presented itself, I just don't get it. Where was the offer to Paul Molitor?
  • bring back Cito...
  • They approached Bobby Cox.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    They approached Bobby Cox.

he was driving this?

free-candy-van.jpg
  • Good or bad, AA has made this team truly relevant again, and he has to be respected for that.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Good or bad, AA has made this team truly relevant again, and he has to be respected for that.

Maybe he has, everyone he brought in from Miami is a retread. Miami was suppose to be real contenders in the NL East and Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle were losing pitchers with big salaries that weren't getting the job done. Jose Reyes, is a bonafide star and will be an excellent leadoff hitter. It would be nice to see Colby Rasmus have a good year in the two hole. He should see a lot more fastballs with Jose Bautista, batting 3rd Melky Cabrera batting 4th and Edwin batting 5th. The one guy I wanted from Miami we should have given the farm up for was Giancarlo Stanton. I hope these pitchers prove me wrong but I see no more than 85 wins and that won't be enough to get it done baseballs best division.

Maybe after Gibby punches out Melky for getting caught on steroids again we can bring back Cito.
  • JJ 56-37 losing pitcher?
    MB 13-13 most wins on a team that lost 93 games?

You know Cabrera is not an RBI guy right? 69 career homers. He hits 4th?

Stanton makes league minimum. Trading major leaguers for him would be the opposite of dumping salary.
  • Melky will be batting 2nd, ahead of Jose. Hopefully he can capitalize on the diet of fastballs.

I don't think AA is done dealing. Too many catchers in the mix. Something has to give.
  • There is no way Rasmus sees the 2 hole without a telescope. In fact I would bet that he may not be a Jay by spring training. With the depth of this line-up they can afford to have Gose hit 9. Move Rasmus for more bullpen depth seems like a move I see them making.

And following Brent's logic, I wish they would have traded for Mike Trout instead of Bonifacio.
  • Lol awesome. Stanton is untouchable, we would have had to trade all 3 lansings and travis.

JJ is a top 10-20 pitcher in this league. Buerhle has hit 200+ innings for how many years now. Melky will have the highest ba on the jays in 2013.

Colby has a better chance of hitting no 2 in buffalo. For some reason I still like the guy tho, and willing to keep him around. Seems when the team does good, he does good.

Get rid of buck and I'm fine with this roster as long as travis platoons dh and is the backup catcher

Like wetts said, AA is the man, not afraid to put his neck on the line and make moves that he feels is right.
  • Interesting tidbits (albeit very one-sided) about Gibbons:

Five Things You Don’t Know About John Gibbons « Nosey Parker
  • I call bs. Hours before the game, how many people in line at Jays shop? 2?
  • Gibbons bought me season tickets once
  • There is no way Rasmus is in the 2 spot.

The lineup likely looks like:

Reyes - SS
    Cabrera - LF
    Bautista - RF
    Encarnacion - 1B
    Lawrie - 3B
    Kelly Johnson - 2B
    Rasmus/Davis - DH (likely a platoon for righties & lefties)
    Bonaficio - CF
    Buck/Arrencibia - C (again, likely a platoon for righties & lefties)

I can't see taking Rasmus bat out of the line up, especially if you are going for a fairly fast line up. He hit 23 HR and had 75 RBI.

All but 2 starters are capable of getting 20+ steals, so it will be a faster team.

You can have either Rasmus/Davis as pitch hitters, and Gose as a pitch runner. I think the odd man out is Lind, and I can see him moved at some point (depending if they can get a team to take his contract).
  • The bottom 4 in that lineup is the worst prediction I have seen yet. KJ isn't on the team anymore, Bonifacio is not playing everyday CF unless Rasmus is hurt/traded. Rasmus has value as a CF, not a platoon DH - his best asset is fielding not hitting.

JPA/Buck are both righties so not seeing a LHP/RHP platoon but they obv split time bc they're likely the 2 catchers

Oh and Gose isn't a 4th outfielder/pinch runner, he and Sierra will both be playing everyday in Buffalo unless there is another trade/injury
  • A little harsh.

Reyes - SS
    Cabrera - LF
    Bautista - RF
    Encarnacion - 1B
    Lind - DH l/r platoon w Davis
    Buck/Arrencibia - C
    Lawrie - 3B
    Rasmus CF / Davis - DH
    Bonaficio/Izturis - 2B

Mottola promoted from AAA to be the new hitting coach. Walton gonzo.
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    The bottom 4 in that lineup is the worst prediction I have seen yet. KJ isn't on the team anymore, Bonifacio is not playing everyday CF unless Rasmus is hurt/traded. Rasmus has value as a CF, not a platoon DH - his best asset is fielding not hitting.

I guess Sportsnet roster is wrong, as KJ is still there:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/teams/Tor/roster

And the lineup is fairly close to what most are predicting. Yes, Rasmus has outfield capabilities, but Bonifacio is faster and also is decent defensively. I can see them trying to go a speed lineup and that could put Rasmus as a DH at times.
    JPA/Buck are both righties so not seeing a LHP/RHP platoon but they obv split time bc they're likely the 2 catchers

I could've said with various pitchers otherwise, as each pitcher will have a comfort level. But they will split a fair amount unless one is traded...
    Oh and Gose isn't a 4th outfielder/pinch runner, he and Sierra will both be playing everyday in Buffalo unless there is another trade/injury

I could see Gose being on the roster a fair bit given an injury to an outfielder.
  • Rasmus is their everyday cf, no way they fool around with that.
  • Ordered a field level ticket package today.
  • How many games is that?
  • I bought 20 tickets. Good for any game.
  • Good to see Hentgen back as a coach.
  • Josh Hamilton is heading to the Los Angeles Angels, this means the Jays will have a harder time winning a wild card spot the only realistic way the Jays can get into the playoffs. The Jays really missed out on a real opportunity here and it was only money keeping them from making the move. Real shame.

Division Winners

Yankees
    Tigers
    Angels

Wild Card
    Texas

??? host of teams
  • 2 wild card spots, and BAL showed that any team can win
  • actyper wrote: »
    2 wild card spots, and BAL showed that any team can win
    I agree, that's why I disagree with those think the Jays are virtually a shoe in for the playoffs are sadly mistaken. To get in the playoffs is going to take 93 wins to make the playoffs. I don't think the Jays are there yet. Not going after Hamilton was a big mistake.
  • I agree, that's I disagree with those think the Jays are virtually a shoe in for the playoffs are sadly mistaken. To get in the playoffs is going to take 93 wins to make the playoffs. I don't think the Jays are there yet. Not going after Hamilton was a big mistake.

Care to make a wager? If playing in wild card game is considered in the playoffs ill bet you $20.
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    Care to make a wager? If playing in wild card game is considered in the playoffs ill bet you $20.

I LOVE the Jays and want them to make the playoffs. But I will take the bet. Payable the day the all American League playoff berths are decided. i'd even go the same with 4 others.

Prophet22