Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• Definitely a cool catch, would have to think that Devo's catch given the situation/significance of the out/game etc would put it ahead of Davis's.
    Too bad he couldn't bring Dunn's back in the 9th tonight.

10 ft...so, that's a Basketball rim height right? Still really cool thou.
  • Delabar struck out 4 in an inning.

1st major league player to do that in extra innings.
  • Unfortunately that's mostly because usually catchers will do anything to block a pitch in the dirt in extra innings. WTF Mathis?!?!??

They also said 1st Blue Jay ever to do 4 in an inning. Lyons 20 k's in 10 innings since coming to the Jays is more sick.

Coco, you ask? 0-3 19.80 era, 3 blown saves in 5 innings for Houston. Currently on disabled list.

I tell you no-one is going to want to trade with the Jays next year. Anthopoulos is a thief.
  • Maybe he will steal Back Hill?
  • Former Blue Jay ('92) Jeff Kent is on Survior. :D
  • Butter gone. Romero surgery.
  • HOLY FUCK!!!!!

In a blockbuster deal with Toronto, Miami will reportedly send shortstop Jose Reyes and starters Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle, along with catcher John Buck and utility man Emilio Bonifacio to the Blue Jays. The Marlins are reportedly going to receive a haul of Toronto's young players and three top prospects, including shortstops Adeiny Hechavarria and Yunel Escobar, pitchers Henderson Alvarez and Justin Nicolino and outfielder Jake Marisnick. FOXSports.com first reported the deal on Twitter.
  • How many catchers we going to play?
  • actyper wrote: »
    How many catchers we going to play?

Can never have too many catchers can you....

oh wait.. I got that wrong didn't I?
  • Mathis prob gets traded. Hopefully not JP
  • compuease wrote: »
    Can never have too many catchers can you....

oh wait.. I got that wrong didn't I?

Been in jail too much I see
  • I hope we flip Buck, JP needs to play 80% and Travis hopefully makes the club, getting older now
  • Texas is interested in both Mathis and JP from what I read.
  • Fun tweets from various people:

@SNTonyAmbrogio: No truth to rumours that Ace was dealt for Billy The Marlin. #jays

@Proteautype: Jays add more than $185 million to payroll in Marlins trade. In unrelated news, it now costs $149.95 to rent any movie on Rogers On Demand.

@Steve_Dangle: BREAKING: The Blue Jays acquire everyone.

And my personal fave from the Iron Sheik (yes the real one) who must have taken one too many piledrivers:

@the_ironsheik: my 2nd home and family the Toronto have Blue Jays make deal i get call from my #1 agents @pagemagen to tell me. They are almost the real now
  • One more:

@alobar9: John Farrell has asked the #RedSox to let him pursue his dream job of managing the #BlueJays.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    HOLY FUCK!!!!!

In a blockbuster deal with Toronto, Miami will reportedly send shortstop Jose Reyes and starters Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle, along with catcher John Buck and utility man Emilio Bonifacio to the Blue Jays. The Marlins are reportedly going to receive a haul of Toronto's young players and three top prospects, including shortstops Adeiny Hechavarria and Yunel Escobar, pitchers Henderson Alvarez and Justin Nicolino and outfielder Jake Marisnick. FOXSports.com first reported the deal on Twitter.

The Jays have been bamboozled in this deal. Reyes is the only sure thing coming our way. While I agree Romero is no ace on this team even before the trade he is at best a number 4 next year. Numbers don't lie and pitching in the east isn't going to help their (new pitchers) cause. Maybe he did this to say to Josh Hamilton we are going after the Yankees and we are willing to give you money too. They still need to everyday outfielders for Left and Center. Yes I said center, cause Rasmus ain't good enough. Plus we still need a second base guy. Lawrie power needs to improve. if we had got Giancarlo Stanton in this deal, then it would have been a good deal.

AA had to do this to save his job.

Prophet22
  • This will being some good will to the team for a bit and the toronto media will slobber all over them for a while.
  • I hate seeing pitching prospects Anthony Desclafani and Justin Nicolino go, but we need help in the rotation next season. Jose Reyes is a stud that helps our lineup. If we can stay healthy, we should contend next year.
  • As a ball fan who has not been terribly interested in over a decade, this move actually gives me hope that the Jays can be competitive next season. The team has been entertaining to watch over the last few years, as I still keep a weather eye on the team and watch the occasional game, but it has been painfully obvious that the team was not going to the post season without a miracle. Miracles are no longer required, imo. There are still some "ifs" to be resolved, but for the first time in a long time there is reason for real optimism.
  • This deal addresses every need the Jays had going into next season. Pitching, 2nd base, a proven gold glove short stop. Again, if they stay healthy, they have a chance.
  • You have to expect they should at least get the 2nd wild card... if they can't it is an epic failure.

Johnson has one year left on deal.. who knows if he'll stay.. if they miss probably not.
  • Can't remember who it was on TSN that said "this makes the Blue Jays contenders for the World Series."

Wow.

Methinks he oversells this one just a smidge.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Can't remember who it was on TSN that said "this makes the Blue Jays contenders for the World Series."

Wow.

Methinks he oversells this one just a smidge.

CMON MAN .... Have faith.

In two or three weeks when the lockout is announced to be over, the leafs will pick up Luongo and instantly be contenders for the Stanley Cup!

:D

I just want my fav teams to do well for a change......... #sadreebsyface.
  • Macke wrote: »
    You have to expect they should at least get the 2nd wild card... if they can't it is an epic failure.

Johnson has one year left on deal.. who knows if he'll stay.. if they miss probably not.

I don't expect anything, it's only November and the Blue Jays still play in the AL East. There's still a ton of time for the Yankees and/or Red Sox to buy whatever talent they see fit. The Orioles will still be strong and Tampa won't fade away either.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I don't expect anything, it's only November and the Blue Jays still play in the AL East. There's still a ton of time for the Yankees and/or Red Sox to buy whatever talent they see fit. The Orioles will still be strong and Tampa won't fade away either.

Johnnie is bang on. How many think that that the Yankees won't be in the Josh Hamilton sweepstakes. The won the east without an everyday LF, and a part time 3rd base guy in A-Rod. They will also be in any bidding for Zack Greinke, and anyone else they think will take a boat load of money to come to the big apple.

I love the Jays but this trade only gets them a couple of games over .500. We need a left handed power bat who can play everyday in the outfield and someone who can play second and have an ops of .340 and a BA of at least .280

The Blue Jays seem to be taking a page from the Leafs playbook. This is only window dressing to make it look good, but it really is a house of cards.
  • I think it is a decent deal for the Jays. If Johnson and Morrow stay healthy they have essentially 4 number 1 or 2 pitchers. It is hoped that these guys can chew up innings to help cover up a relatively weak bullpen.

The infield gets better. They pick up some speed, which will increase stolen bases probably by a +15 margin this year.

It is definitely a solid deal for the Jays, but by no means makes them more than a real contender for a playoff spot.

The AL East is still the hardest division in baseball. Boston and NY are gonna spend money this year. Tampa is still strong. Baltimore had a good season last year and will be interesting to see if it was a fluke or if they are back as a contender again.
  • signed melky Cabrera
  • costanza wrote: »
    signed melky Cabrera

Awesome. Just what we need. A pill popper. :(
  • he gets 8M a season too ...

holy fuck we are gonna be legit this year lol