Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• Yep, funny thing is my son just traded for Stroman yesterday in our baseball keeper pool. Kinda funny since after he traded for him yesterday I joked with him about how Stroman had torn his media collateral ligament yesterday morning.. He's blaming me..>:D

If anyone is interested in a $20. Yahoo baseball keeper league with auction draft let me know. We need 2 more players I believe. Our expansion draft is right after the Mar 15 keeper picking so I would need to know soon. Really want active players who enjoy wheeling and dealing. There is some work to this so don't expect you can pick your team and just sit back.
  • I'd be up for it
    compuease wrote: »
    Yep, funny thing is my son just traded for Stroman yesterday in our baseball keeper pool. Kinda funny since after he traded for him yesterday I joked with him about how Stroman had torn his media collateral ligament yesterday morning.. He's blaming me..>:D

If anyone is interested in a $20. Yahoo baseball keeper league with auction draft let me know. We need 2 more players I believe. Our expansion draft is right after the Mar 15 keeper picking so I would need to know soon. Really want active players who enjoy wheeling and dealing. There is some work to this so don't expect you can pick your team and just sit back.
  • back in Nov:
    moose wrote: »
    Reyes
    Bautista
    Encarnacion
    Donaldson
    Martin
    Probably crap
    Mostly Crap
    Really Crap
    Definitely Crap

Opening Day Lineup
    Reyes
    Martin
    Bautista
    Encarnacion
    Donaldson
    Navarro
    Pompey
    Pillar
    Travis

Man I was close. Only real difference is Travis made team over Goins.
  • Lol Lawrie

Brett Lawrie tonight (12 pitches, 4 strikeouts)FastballSliderSlider--SliderSliderSlider--CurveCurveCurve--SliderSliderSlider

Follow link for video:

Lawrie K'd 4 times on 12 pitches in A's loss - Sportsnet.ca
  • Again, is there a worse manager of the bullpen than John Gibbons? Castro comes in and collects two outs on 4 pitches...great game kid we're going to hand it over to Loup to load the bases next inning so then we'll have to bring Cecil in an inning earlier than necessary. FML
  • Yay metal detectors.

The new regulations require each club to use metal detectors or walk-through magnetometres at all entrances.

http://andrewstoeten.com/2015/04/08/home-opener-notes/
  • Sweet victory tonight! Goodbye Cecil and Loup. Hello Osuna and Castro!

BTW Castro at 20 is the youngest pitcher to get a save since Rick Ankiel in 1999.
  • Again, is there a worse manager of the bullpen than John Gibbons? Castro comes in and collects two outs on 4 pitches...great game kid we're going to hand it over to Loup to load the bases next inning so then we'll have to bring Cecil in an inning earlier than necessary. FML

Yes, there are many. Cito Gaston for one.

Just like in poker, don't get caught up in results-oriented thinking. The correct moves were made at the correct time, for the most part. These guys have their assigned jobs for a reason. Remember, the young guys are on pitch/innings limits for the season so you can't burn them out in april.

I don't see any complaints about Loup coming in on Monday, or Cecil's pitching last night.

Long season - won't be the last blown save.
  • Card Dead wrote: »

Just like in poker, don't get caught up in results-oriented thinking. The correct moves were made at the correct time, for the most part. These guys have their assigned jobs for a reason. Remember, the young guys are on pitch/innings limits for the season so you can't burn them out in april.

I don't see any complaints about Loup coming in on Monday, or Cecil's pitching last night.

Absolutely correct. There are 159 games left in the season and if we're very lucky, the Jays will only lose 65-70 of them.
  • Mole makes the exact same comments if Castro comes in and blows up in the 8th. Except it would be "How can he put an unproven rookie right hander against a veteran left handed lineup, with two experienced left handers sitting in the pen".

Not the point at all. My anger was with getting Castro up in cold weather having him look filthy and then sitting him down after 4 pitches after making two veteran hitters look silly (including a hall of famer and a left handed hitter). He would have thrown 6-8 times as many pitches as that getting ready to come into the game so why not let him out to at least start the next inning? A pitch count of 15-20 as opposed to 4 is inconsequential at that point. the same thing could have happened an inning later but my point is he was making moves based on wanting to get guys into the ball game not on what the situation actually called for.
    JohnnieH wrote: »
    Absolutely correct. There are 159 games left in the season and if we're very lucky, the Jays will only lose 65-70 of them.

Over managing because of a "plan" you have for a staff instead of the needs of the team in the moment causes you to give away games for no reason. And despite most fans insistance a win in April is worth the same in September.
    moose wrote: »
    Mole makes the exact same comments if Castro comes in and blows up in the 8th. Except it would be "How can he put an unproven rookie right hander against a veteran left handed lineup, with two experienced left handers sitting in the pen".

Wrong and wrong. First you can check the timestamp on the post...it came before most of the runs were even scored. He'll make moves that will look good and some that will look bad. My beef was with the 4 pitch outing and then going to a couple "experienced" left handers just because you wanted to get them in the game. In Cecil's case it was outside of the role you had told him he was in...which itself was miscast after a mostly non existent spring. There are so many wrong things about Gibbons work the result is just expected. Thankfully I believe the "kids" can succeed in spite of him.
  • Jays lose today if they resign Melky...
  • moose wrote: »
    Jays lose today if they resign Melky...

yep, and what do the Jays do when Saunders is back? As I recall he was promised the everyday LF position.
  • Bringing in your newly appointed closer in the 7th inning of a tie ball game?

Pure genius. ?
  • Gibbythebest
  • I like the move. You should bring in your best pitcher to face the best hitters from the opposition especially in a tie game regardless of the inning!
  • Munenori who?

PathOfPillarCatch.0.jpg

Pillar-Deal-With-It.gif
  • Bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 8th, heart of the order up, and no productive ABs.

Give me a frickin' break! Just like last year.
    Bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 8th, heart of the order up, and no productive ABs.

Give me a frickin' break! Just like last year.

Pitchers are ahead of hitters in April for the most part. Let's see where thisteamis at on Mothers day before anyone, including Blue Jays brass make and bold decisions. I know AA and Gibby feel their jobs are on the line if they don't make the playoffs, but people need to take a step back until the 40 game mark.
  • I don't disagree, but what concerns me is not the results, it's the approach of the heart of the order. If they go 0 for 3 in that spot but have disciplined ABs, then I'm ok with that. But to see them taking home run swing after home run swing is so frustrating.

We saw this all of last year and the jays were horrible with RISP, especially Bautista.
    We saw this all of last year and the jays were horrible with RISP, especially Bautista.

Orly?
    last year Bautista was a better hitter with men in scoring position than otherwise (170 wRC+ versus 159), and Edwin was virtually the same awesome guy (149 and 150)

League average for position players is 100, and every point above 100 is a percentage point above league average. For example, a 125 wRC+ means a player created 25% more runs than a league average hitter would have in the same number of plate appearances.

70% more runs with RISP than the league average player. I say trade that bum now!
  • Pitchers are ahead of hitters in April for the most part.

Since no-one has hit over .500 for a season yet, the pitchers are always ahead of the hitters.

So yeah, math sucks. Bautista and Edwin don't.
  • I have always found it humourous that a batter can average .300 over his career and be considered a hall of famer. But that means he failed to hit 7 our of 10 times.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I have always found it humourous that a batter can average .300 over his career and be considered a hall of famer. But that means he failed to hit 7 our of 10 times.

You have obviously have never had to face a major league curve ball, or a Dave Steib type slider or an Nolan Ryan type faseball. There are very few people on the planet that can do that consistenly. Hence htting for a career .300 is exceptional.

Brent
  • Tell me, what's a good shooting percentage in the NHL?
  • moose wrote: »
    Tell me, what's a good shooting percentage in the NHL?

Here is the top 20 shooting % in the NHL

Kael Mouillierat, C
    NYI

Joe Whitney, RW
    NJ

Mark Pysyk, D
    BUF

Stanislav Galiev, RW
    WSH

Jonathan Marchessault, C
    TB

Justin Hodgman, C
    ARI

Brandon Kozun, RW
    TOR

Landon Ferraro, C
    DET

Miikka Salomaki, RW
    NSH

Chris Brown, C
    WSH

SHOOTOUTS

RK
    PLAYER
    TEAM
    GP
    G
    A
    PTS
    +/-
    PIM
    SOG
    SOG/G
    PCT
    ATT
    G
    PCT

Brian Dumoulin, D
    PIT

Eric Boulton, LW
    NYI

Alex Tanguay, LW
    COL

Jiri Hudler, LW
    CGY

Vladislav Namestnikov, C
    TB

Zack Kassian, RW
    VAN

Seth Griffith, C
    BOS

Benoit Pouliot, LW
    EDM

Henrik Sedin, C
    VAN

Mikkel Boedker, LW
    ARI

• OMG the regulars fail 80% of the time!
  • Josh

[TH]Tm[/TH]
    [TH]G[/TH]
    [TH]PA[/TH]
    [TH]AB[/TH]
    [TH]R[/TH]
    [TH]H[/TH]
    [TH]2B[/TH]
    [TH]3B[/TH]
    [TH]HR[/TH]
    [TH]RBI[/TH]
    [TH]SB[/TH]