Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• Problem is, the O's would likely have wanted "more" from the Jays (same division) than they got from Detroit.

Am I the only one who is HAPPY the Jays did not sell "future" for "now"? I mean, no one in the AL East race picked up what can be described as an "impact" player, so why is everyone so bloody negative about their playoff prospects all of a sudden. They are within a few games of the top spot, and have yet to get all of their injured players back yet. Sorry, but I think they still have a better than average chance at another Division title. ESPECIALLY when you consider how many more times they play the (now Price-less) Rays (9 games left) and the Sox (6 games left). That is at least 4 games that will no longer be played against staff "aces" in the stretch run. Yeah, they play the Tigers, but that is only 1 start to worry about.

Relax folks . . .
  • Yes so obv worse to finish last in 2012, win the WS in 2013, and be in last in 2014.

Clearly a WS would never make up for being in last place the other two seasons.

Horrible.

Sox fans must be devastated.

I'd rather finish over .500 and out of the playoffs every year because all that winning is worth it.

Mediocrity is best.
  • I would have liked to see us pick up someone like Colby lewis, or paplebon

we actually have some power bats we can get rid of like Lind, francisco, rasmus

but I agree with Milo

This team was dynamite at the beginning of the year, this team has proven that its capable of doing really great things, so lets just hope that comes back so we can get into the post season, and make some noise.
  • OHTNCTRHM wrote: »
    I agree with Milo

Fuck . . . I was on a roll, too.
  • moose wrote: »
    Yes so obv worse to finish last in 2012, win the WS in 2013, and be in last in 2014.

Clearly a WS would never make up for being in last place the other two seasons.

Horrible.

Sox fans must be devastated.

I'd rather finish over .500 and out of the playoffs every year because all that winning is worth it.

Mediocrity is best.

Not what I said. What I said was that this team, as is, is good enough to make the playoffs, after which it is somewhat of a lottery no matter how dominant your squad is.

The idea I am objecting to is EXACTLY what you are describing . . . lets get that ONE World Series chance at the expense of MULTIPLE opportunities to be in the same position.

Who would you rather be, the Detroit Red Wings, who make the playoffs almost EVERY year, or the Tampa Bay Lightning, who every once in a blue moon will get there with a really good shot to win it all? The Wings put themselves in the hunt and have the option to make a few tweaks to put them over the hump. The Lightning have virtually no shot until that one year that everything goes their way.
  • Can never have a consistent "red wing" team with Yankees and red Sox in our division tho

Need to go for it :frown:
  • Considering we're on the verge of losing 3 in a row to the one of the worst teams in baseball..........

Have 2 tickets to Jays vs Yanks on Aug 30.

Will sell for some magic beans.
  • 19 inning marathon today.

No bench / relievers left.

Tigers had Porcello pitching and Dickey was warming in the pen.

Jays pen threw 15 2/3 innings of shutout ball.

Jose goes 1-8 (but what a 1 that was. :D )
  • Goins optioned to Buffalo

Guess this means Lind or edwin are returning tomorrow
  • Who watched the double header today? :D

8 times on base by Melky, first time since Rod Carew in 1972.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Goins optioned to Buffalo

Guess this means Lind or edwin are returning tomorrow

Needs to improve rock paper scissors game obv
  • Looks like he was optioned to bring Mills up.
  • Can Sportsnet hire some on field reporters that know at least a little fucking bit about baseball?

Its the 2nd time they have bungled the post game interview recently. Today the dumbass asked Bautista about his game winning grand slam home run. I think it was Wed the guy asked Hutch about his complete game. Seriously WTF? Do these guys get trained by Buck Martinez? Are they inside jerking off and not even watching the game?

You can watch this buffoon in the 2nd vid down.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jays-beat-tigers-in-longest-game-in-team-history/
    19 inning marathon today.

No bench / relievers left.

Tigers had Porcello pitching and Dickey was warming in the pen.

Jays pen threw 15 2/3 innings of shutout ball.

Jose goes 1-8 (but what a 1 that was. :D )

Don't forget he had 2 other chances to win it earlier in extras and laid a giant egg both times. The worst was when he came up with runners of 1st and 2nd with no outs and popped up in shallow center. I think that was in the 14th. But I will say this: he had a great day at 1st base for a guy playing out of position.

Great day fo Melky and Jenkins.
  • What I don't get was twice Melky got to 3-0 with runners in scoring position and took a pitch. WTF? When the game is tied another base runner doesn't help us. Swing!
  • I'm OK with that. It better than grounding out to 2nd or popping up (a la Pantload Bautista).

At 3-0 a hitter like Melky is looking for one certain pitch and is well advised not to swing unless he gets it. And with the Jays "best hitter" coming up behind him, I agree with the approach. It keeps the inning going and that's the most important thing.

The problem is with the guy behind him, who can't hit with RISP. Dead last in the AL with RISP for hitters with min 40 ABs says a lot about a guy with his overall stats.
  • I'm going to guess that with Lind back tonight that Juan gets DFA'd, though they might have to put up with him until Sept. 1 when the rosters expand.
  • One of the craziest Jay's games I ever seen, the 19 inning one. Is it true they stop selling beer after the 7th?
  • Yes . No beer after the 7th.
  • And apparently even though 3/4 of the fans left, they weren't letting the fans move up #rogerscentresucks
    Yes . No beer after the 7th.

Concessions close in the 9th. But you can bring food in. I would so have ordered 40 pizzas to gate 5, sold them at 20 each and had my playoff tickets paid for.
  • he was so over rated it was disgusting

he was liked, but his numbers were awful

gg
  • After today's game us it time to officially say their season is done? This was a big home stand with 9 straight at the friendly confines of the Rogers Center. Sad way to lose today's game. I guess it sums up their season.
  • If anyone wants to see jeter's last series in T.O......

I have 2 tickets I'd like to get rid of for this Saturday at 1pm. 8th row, centre field, section 101.

I bought these in June and I no longer have the stomach to go.

I paid $85 for the pair. Make me a reasonable offer.
  • Day?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  • Just watched the video in the Jesse Litsch post above. Has anyone noticed how Buck is really putting inappropriate emphasis on certain syllables when he talks now. Its really really starting to annoy me now. Its like someone told him his voice was too monotone. Every time he talks about the Blue Jaaaays seeeeson I want to throw my remote though the screen. Compare to the video above.

BTW anyone hear his call of Pillars "head first slide" into second base last night? (Which was feet first). I know he doesn't know his head from his ass but I guess he is expanding his range.

• Gg blue jays

Really tilted with dickey this year , he's lost all his value. wish the jays unloaded him while his price was still high

Also moose, u seem to really hate buck, I always laugh at your tilt posts, they are gold lol
  • I don't know what you mean by value.

As in he will finish his two seasons with the Jays with his 2nd and 3rd highest win totals of his career (1st obv being his Cy Young season), and average over 200 IP for $5m last year and $12m this year.

200 IP starters don't grow on trees you know. 30 teams in the majors and only 14 pitchers have more IP this season than him. Uhh guys like Price $14m, Hernandez $22.8m, Wainwright $19.5, Shields $13.5m, Scherzer $15.5m, Lester $13m

Against Syndergaard who has 0 IP in the majors, two seasons later and d'Arnaud with a mighty 119 AB in two seasons.

Let's see, I think we kept some guy named Sanchez 2-1, 1.83 era, 19.2 IP (in the majors).

He has one more season at $12m and a $12m option for 2016 with a $1m buyout. With those kind of contract terms, if he puts up similar numbers again, he is very tradeable next year if the Jays blow up again and great value if they don't.
  • moose wrote: »
    Day?

Yeah, I guess that would have been helpful.

Saturday, 1pm