Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• And this is why we are out of the race: 2nd and 3rd with nobody out in a 2-run game and they can't score a single run.
    :bs:
  • "Well the Red Sox have tied it up. Boston has a 3-2 lead"

DID HE REALLY JUST SAY THAT?!!!!?!!!
  • Daniel Norris. Filthy.
  • Somebody check Gibbons for drugs.

Send out a mish mash of rookies in relief to start the bottom of the 8th with a 3 run lead instead of Sanchez who has been a stud.

Put in Stroman (your best starting pitcher at the moment) to pinch run for Encarnacion with 1 out. (Just because it worked doesn't mean it's right)

Of course with Melky missing the rest of the year it may all be meaningless anyway.
  • The award for worst use of a bullpen goes to John Gibbons. Also receives the Red Sox player of the game award.
  • Sanchez always gets two days off after pitching 2 innings. So he wasn't available.

Safe to say Janssen isn't closing games anymore.
  • Plus he broke Melky's finger for getting picked off too.

Graveman faced one batter, most of tonight's collapse is hung on Loup and Janssen.
  • moose wrote: »
    Sanchez always gets two days off after pitching 2 innings. So he wasn't available.

Hasn't pitched 2 innings since Oct 30th and he pitched on 1 days rest after that outing. His last 2 outings were 12 and 13 pitches respectively. Days rest yesterday, what's the problem? If you're serious about making this run you can't hold back on innings for next years arms.

If you're going to have hard and fast rules with your best arm out of the bullpen, don't even pretend to be going for it.
  • If you're going to have hard and fast rules with your best arm out of the bullpen, don't even pretend to be going for it.

If you're serious about making a run at this point, you can't use your best reliever in the 8th inning with a 3 run lead. If you can't trust anybody else in the pen to come in there and get to the closer (who you also happen to not trust) in the 9th, you're fucked anyway.
  • Pinhead wrote: »

Graveman faced one batter, most of tonight's collapse is hung on Loup and Janssen.

Yes Loup while not a rookie is a lefty who was facing a string of right handed hitters. Sanchez holding righties to .120 avg.
    If you're serious about making a run at this point, you can't use your best reliever in the 8th inning with a 3 run lead. If you can't trust anybody else in the pen to come in there and get to the closer (who you also happen to not trust) in the 9th, you're fucked anyway.

They said 5 days ago they were going to use Sanchez for 2 inning saves. Except for tonight I guess.

You can NOT play todays game thinking about who you might need tomorrow. They might win or lose the next 5 games by 7 runs and have no need to throw him. So they saved him tonight for what?
    If you're serious about making a run at this point, you can't use your best reliever in the 8th inning with a 3 run lead.

This is just a complete baseball fallacy. What is the difference between a 1 run lead and a 3 run lead when it's gone?
  • They said 5 days ago they were going to use Sanchez for 2 inning saves. Except for tonight I guess.

You can NOT play todays game thinking about who you might need tomorrow. They might win or lose the next 5 games by 7 runs and have no need to throw him. So they saved him tonight for what?

So he pitches the 8th and 9th every night for the rest of the season independent of score? No question he's their most reliable reliever at this point, but they're running a 13-man (or 14?) pen - somebody else down there has to be able to pitch a low-leverage inning.

Has nothing to do with "saving him" for a better spot, really just comes down to needing more than one reliever who can get righties out.

• Nice article. At least 3 mentions akin to being cautious on using him back to back days or giving him regular days off between appearances. So if he's available to pitch and he's in the game they'll try to ride him for 2 innings.
    So he pitches the 8th and 9th every night for the rest of the season independent of score? No question he's their most reliable reliever at this point, but they're running a 13-man (or 14?) pen - somebody else down there has to be able to pitch a low-leverage inning.

Has nothing to do with "saving him" for a better spot, really just comes down to needing more than one reliever who can get righties out.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a solo HR worth 3 runs. He doesn't have to start every 8th inning but when they're up by 3 and the tying run comes to the plate you need your shut down arm in there. The fact that they had 2 chances to have him come in and shut the door tonight is just more ridiculous.

I'm not going to go back in history other than to say Uehara, who took over as closer for the Sox last season pitched in the 8th more than a few times in September and the playoffs.
  • As far as I know there is no such thing as a solo HR worth 3 runs. He doesn't have to start every 8th inning but when they're up by 3 and the tying run comes to the plate you need your shut down arm in there. The fact that they had 2 chances to have him come in and shut the door tonight is just more ridiculous.

I'm not going to go back in history other than to say Uehara, who took over as closer for the Sox last season pitched in the 8th more than a few times in September and the playoffs.

Again, that's all great in a situation where he's available to pitch. In that case, I'm all for getting as much out of him as you can, including 2 innings of work, or 8th inning bailout + staying in for the save in the 9th.

Not the case tonight, at least according to people much closer to the team than us who were all reporting the team said after the back-to-back games Tues/Wed that he wouldn't be available to pitch again until Saturday. You can argue that Gibbons created that mess himself by using Sanchez Wednesday (as Lott's post says they'd only do if unavoidable). Having him warm up in I believe 3 different innings (7/8/9) before getting the save, even if it was only a 12 or 13 pitch save, is what kept him out of tonight's game.
    Again, that's all great in a situation where he's available to pitch.

With this I can agree, if he can't go he can't go. But if the tipping point comes when he's pitched twice in the last four days (with an off day since his last outing) then I say they are not committed enough to the cause.

My anger in this also stems back to the fact that they felt the need to shut him down as a starter after hitting 100(?) innings. The kid is 22 years old and before getting drafted probably has never pitched that few innings since he turned 12.
  • With this I can agree, if he can't go he can't go. But if the tipping point comes when he's pitched twice in the last four days (with an off day since his last outing) then I say they are not committed enough to the cause.

Agreed. Admittedly, I have no clue if pitching relatively short outings on back-to-back days *should* require at least a second day of rest, but if it does for him then I think Wednesday's appearance was even more botched (specifically having him warming up first and not somebody else)
  • Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Five More Years Of Martinez And Tabler | Drunk Jays Fans | Blogs | theScore.com
  • Did we really just trade one of the top 1b/dh this season for a 31 year old part time sp with a career era of 4.23?

WTF?
  • Just heard same report, but still unconfirmed as far as I know. If it is true it's a colossal blunder. The Jays have always undervalued him IMO.
  • And salary relief! So they can not use that money on anything else!
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    Just heard same report, but still unconfirmed as far as I know. If it is true it's a colossal blunder. The Jays have always undervalued him IMO.

Def confirmed, all Jays reporters linking to press release from team
  • Card Dead wrote: »
    Just heard same report, but still unconfirmed as far as I know. If it is true it's a colossal blunder. The Jays have always undervalued him IMO.
    Confirmed by mlb on Twitter
  • wtf Adam Lind gonna do in the NL?
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    wtf Adam Lind gonna do in the NL?

Get paid 7.5M to pinch hit for the pitcher once a game
    Get paid 7.5M to pinch hit for the pitcher once a game

And only 1/2 the time, ie when the pitcher is a righty.
  • Not worth 7.5 imo. Not a bad trade. Bull pen help and hopefully this helps us sign melky