Kitchener / Waterloo Grudge match!! IS OVER - RESULTS!!!

Comments

• DrTyore wrote:
    So, what this means is that with regards to KWGM 2, people who already have the option to play include
    - "ItsaMe" Mario (since he won KWGM prelim #1)
    - "Beanie42" Trevor
    I'm glad Mario and I are in, considering we both amassed more chips in our one day subbing than quite a few of the participants! :) (trash talk the sequel has begun!)
    stpboy wrote:
    I think that the way you propose to allow people into the next KWGM might end up being a long drawn out process...or just a headache.
    I agree. Further, I think the whole "grudge" concept is pretty cool, and it would be nice if some players with "friendly grudges" were in together. I'd suggest that you simply make a short-list based on feedback from people who would like to play and those who are already slated to play (the waiting list and top guys from the first one), and then see how the scheduling works. Personally, I'd love to be able to simply "call somebody out" (I PM'd you already :) ). Personally, I think a running waiting list makes the most sense.
  • wait I did not get a PM Trev :D
  • TwoThree wrote:
    wait I did not get a PM Trev  :D
    LOL - that's cuz I'm smart! Only call-out players you can beat :fish: (me thinks this might get a response ;) )!
  • TwoThree wrote:
    wait I did not get a PM Trev  :D

That's because you don't spell your name properly :P
    beanie42 wrote:
    LOL - that's cuz I'm smart! Only call-out players you can beat :fish: (me thinks this might get a response ;) )!

Me thinks I really want in now
    Nobody could beat me last night, they had to wait until Greg got there

I can't wait to bust you with my J9 against your A9, it's going to be sooooo much fun
    Especially when it happens at Legends of Bristol so it is forever captured on film
  • I can play in this one "if I'm called upon"
  • Getting ready for this, the Braad train is coming though WOO WOO!
  • 4 days until the Finale!! WHO'S PUMPED????

Anyways.. I just wanted to say that I'm really really happy how this has turned out thus far. The competition has been tough but friendly, and although it's a "grudge" match, the underlying respect for one another is shining through.. except for Braad.

So, as you can imagine, when this turned out to be successful, I started thinking about KWGM 2. If any of you have any feeback / suggestions, I'd love to hear them. My own personal likes / dislikes thus far:

- The blind schedule was nice. It allowed a lot of play for everyone, but with these guys it was still fast-paced. I'm very excited to see how the finale goes.

- The field. High quality players, who are there for fun and there to win.

- Shopsy's basement. Trophy. Mmmm....

Dislikes:

- Subs / Ringers. I don't think they should be allowed for KWGM2, though I understand that this time the scheduling made it incredibly difficult, I think that for the next one, I'll pre-determine the dates, and that should make it somewhat easier.

Other:

- I'm thinknig also of increasing the buy-in for the KWGM2. If we went to $40 / game / person, that would give a total pool of $1600. This would allow us to pay each preliminary winner a littler more (Maybe $75), and then get a "big" trophy as well to put all the past winners names on as well as the individual trophy (cost of about $300). This would leave a prize pool still over $1000, and then in the KWGM 3 and beyond, the $260 "big trophy" fee could just go into the prize pool.

So, any of you other guy sout there have opinions / suggestions? Please let me know

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote:
    - Subs / Ringers. I don't think they should be allowed for KWGM2, though I understand that this time the scheduling made it incredibly difficult, I think that for the next one, I'll pre-determine the dates, and that should make it somewhat easier.
    I agree, although you should keep the chips in play and blind them out (since they have to pay the entry fee anyway).
    DrTyore wrote:
    - I'm thinknig also of increasing the buy-in for the KWGM2. If we went to $40 / game / person, that would give a total pool of $1600.
    I think the current $30 is fine, since the final purse as well as the competition is the main purpose of this one anyway. However, if it's changed, I would do the $40.
    DrTyore wrote:
    then get a "big" trophy as well to put all the past winners names on as well as the individual trophy (cost of about $300). This would leave a prize pool still over $1000, and then in the KWGM 3 and beyond, the $260 "big trophy" fee could just go into the prize pool.
    I don't like this idea. First, one trophy is enough. Second, it means a single group is responsible for the cost, while everyone else (the first group, and all future groups) simply have more prize money.
  • The other problem re: the "Big" trophy is this

I was also aware that one group would have to filed the cost, but still, there would be upwards of $1000 up for grabs, whcih is decent money, and plus, thre is the potential for more $ payout in the preliminaries. It is a one time cost, because to add to it a plate with an engraved name costs "about $2" according to the lady I spoke with. I also am going to look around for the most "cost effective" trophy.

The more pressing concern I think is, where the hell do you keep the thing? Does the current champ hold it? Or do we leave it at a high traffic area like, I don't know, Bristol Street NC&C?

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote:
    I was also aware that one group would have to filed the cost, but still, there would be upwards of $1000 up for grabs, whcih is decent money
    It's not the final purse (the $1000), it's the overall value - putting up $120 (or $160) to win $1000 or $1200 (assuming 50% of cost comes from 1st place) is a big difference.   You're asking one group to use around 20% of their prize pool to pay for this, and I think that's a big chunk.   Maybe it's just the strange way I look at prizes :)
  • True enough

I wonder what others think. I know that TwoThree loved the idea (it was his after all)

Mark
  • I agree with Trevor and I actually like the small individual trophies that you found for the first KWGM. Also, you did promise to purchase one from them every couple of months....

stp
  • Don't get me wrong...

I will still get the smaller individual trophies as well, but the suggestion was one big "Stanley Cup" type trophy that has a record of all winners, with an expanding base on it.

Mark
  • Another option would be for you to front the money for the larger trophy and take an equal amount out of the next 5 KWGM's to spread the cost out between all of the players that are involved....

stp
  • wow I agree with stpgirl on this one. spreading it out over a set number of KWGMs say 3-5 would be best. But we all know that it will be my name on there 3-5 times.
  • Wow...

Everyone agrees that I should foot the bill? How odd... :)

Not a bad idea actually... maybe take $100 out of each pot...

Only problem is I have to be 100% sure that this will go 4-5 more times.

Mark
  • Yeah I'd be pretty worried about finding enough people to keep a poker game going in KW too :P

Not that anybody cares about my opinion, but if you're set on getting a big trophy, I'd try to
    split the costs over a few matches.
  • Pinhead wrote:
    Yeah I'd be pretty worried about finding enough people to keep a poker game going in KW too :P

Not that anybody cares about my opinion, but if you're set on getting a big trophy, I'd try to
    split the costs over a few matches.

Took you long enough to recognize that fact :D
  • My feedback on the Grudge Match, which I think we all have to give Mark a big round of applause for organizing. These things aren't easy and Mark's dealt well with a lot of scheduling conflicts.

- Blinds schedule is great. I love capping it at 50 total BBs. The 50-75 level probably isn't need and could be removed to drop the time of the prelims by 25 minute, making it easier to fit into an evening.
    - While I hated getting nothing for coming in second in the prelims, I think it should stay this way.
    - Just plain fun. It's been a great time so far.
    - Shopsy's place rocks.

Dislikes:

- Ringers. Yes, I appreciate that Trevor came and and started me off with a second place finish, but I don't think they belong. This should be about you accumulating chips for yourself, not getting others to do it. Post and fold those that can't come.
    - The ever-changing schedule. I think when you do the next one your plan to make a schedule and stick to it, no matter what is a good one. I think you have to be dead firm on this.
    - Also, related to the above, I'd keep the total time from the first event to the final table no more than two weeks.
    - Saturday's for everything. Big boo on this from me. I don't mind the finals being on a Saturday, but the original schedule had us wasting Saturday's on events that paid out less than twice a buy-in for first place. My preference is to hold the pre-lims on weeknights and the finals on a weekend. I know that others will feel differently than me.

On the fence:

- The total cost. $30 x 4 for essentially one money tournament is hitting the edge of my price range. If we make it higher are we really excluding people that would like to play?
  • Zithal wrote:
    My feedback on the Grudge Match, which I think we all have to give Mark a big round of applause for organizing.   These things aren't easy and Mark's dealt well with a lot of scheduling conflicts.

- Blinds schedule is great. I love capping it at 50 total BBs.   The 50-75 level probably isn't need and could be removed to drop the time of the prelims by 25 minute, making it easier to fit into an evening.
    - While I hated getting nothing for coming in second in the prelims, I think it should stay this way.
    - Just plain fun.  It's been a great time so far.
    - Shopsy's place rocks.

Dislikes:

- Ringers.  Yes, I appreciate that Trevor came and and started me off with a second place finish, but I don't think they belong.  This should be about you accumulating chips for yourself, not getting others to do it.  Post and fold those that can't come.
    - The ever-changing schedule.  I think when you do the next one your plan to make a schedule and stick to it, no matter what is a good one.  I think you have to be dead firm on this.
    - Also, related to the above, I'd keep the total time from the first event to the final table no more than two weeks.
    - Saturday's for everything.   Big boo on this from me.   I don't mind the finals being on a Saturday, but the original schedule had us wasting Saturday's on events that paid out less than twice a buy-in for first place.   My preference is to hold the pre-lims on weeknights and the finals on a weekend.  I know that others will feel differently than me.

On the fence:

- The total cost.  $30 x 4 for essentially one money tournament is hitting the edge of my price range.  If we make it higher are we really excluding people that would like to play? 

I completely agree with everything that Rob has said, thanks for writing it for me. Mark, kudos for a great job so far. I though the one night that we had it on a weeknight went very well, I'd like to see the finals on a Saturday as well and all others on the weeknights....

stp
  • Great comments Rob!
    Zithal wrote:
    I think we all have to give Mark a big round of applause for organizing
    :wav: :wav:
    Zithal wrote:
    Great idea, if we can work it out with everyone.
    Zithal wrote:
    - Saturday's for everything. Big boo on this from me. I don't mind the finals being on a Saturday, but the original schedule had us wasting Saturday's on events that paid out less than twice a buy-in for first place. My preference is to hold the pre-lims on weeknights and the finals on a weekend. I know that others will feel differently than me.
    Saturday's are probably one of the worst days for me, and there's a lot of Friday/Saturday events (I'm not even hosting a Friday tourney this month because KW is "overfull").  I'd go for this, although I'd probably need to host depending on the night (since Jenn's out a few times).
    Zithal wrote:
    The total cost. $30 x 4 for essentially one money tournament is hitting the edge of my price range. If we make it higher are we really excluding people that would like to play?
    It's right on the edge for me too, especially considering the small/strong field (not really +EV), which is why I prefer the $30.
  • Fair enough...

Sounds like the higher buy in is a no-go. I'm okay with that too, I think it just means the "Stanley Cup" trophy idea may be scrapped. Which alleviates the other problem of where to keep it! (Sorry Braad)

Glad to hear no complaints about the blind levels, though I think maybe Rob's got a point with the 75-150 level, especially considering we're looking at a finale of perhaps 12 hours.

Timewise, I will be setting a "hard and fast" schedule, and going with the "if you can't make it don't sign up!". I also think that dropping the ringers is a given as well, going with the post / fold approach. However, I think that fitting 4 games in 2 weeks may be a bit much... maybe three weeks. I'll look into it.. I agree this one has lasted a long time.. we started in January for crying out loud. :)

Keep the opinions / feedback coming guys!

And not just the participants, anyone who has input (and you may be a future player!!) can spout off!

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote:
    Glad to hear no complaints about the blind levels, though I think maybe Rob's got a point with the 75-150 level, especially considering we're looking at a finale of perhaps 12 hours.

50-75, actually. Though you could drop the 50-75 and 75-150 levels from the main event and we'd still get a ton of play.
  • Mis-type...

I think perhaps dropping one is fine... I think two is too much... :)

Mark
  • I concur. No need for the 50-75 blind level. But you cant drop both - that jump would be too great.

Having said that, the blind levels dont determine much past the pre-flop betting following that its a free for all.

At 25-25 we had two all- ins; one in the first orbit. For a mere 200x BB!!

Shopsys will be great. I just hope I can keep my concentration up. Hopefully the title and the added prize value will be a good motivation.

I have found the last few rounds after I get up to enough chips to be competitive I can let my guard down and play - which clearly hasnt been overly effective.

This will be a real test for a 12 hour period!!!
  • This should be an outstanding, but grueling final. Especially for those of us playing in g2's deep stack tournament the night before.
  • We may need to start up another tournament after the dinner break. Say a $10 or $20 unlimited re-buy for anyone who wants to come as well as players who bust out. This would allow any players who bust out of the grudge match to buy in to the side tournament. Just looking for something else to do in slight chance that someone sucks out on me early in the grudge match so I won't have to kick you all out of my house. ( Ha ha!) Any thoughts?

Shopsy
  • I'll play in a side game on Saturday.
  • shopsy wrote:
    We may need to start up another tournament after the dinner break. Say a $10 or $20 unlimited re-buy for anyone who wants to come as well as players who bust out. This would allow any players who bust out of the grudge match to buy in to the side tournament. Just looking for something else to do in slight chance that someone sucks out on me early in the grudge match so I won't have to kick you all out of my house. ( Ha ha!) Any thoughts?

That's a great idea. It'll give you guys something to do while I keep playing! May want to start a seperate thread to guage interest. If you need any extra table tops, etc. let me know.
  • You mean you and Mark aren't all-in blind first hand for 1200bb's ??
    Braad would do it :P