Toronto Team Thread

Comments

• STR82ACE wrote:
    BBC Z wrote:
    The only person who earns an A+ on that scale is hork himself.

Really? Hmmmmmmm, wonder why he hasn't brought it to the league games yet? Must be setting us all up for something bigger in the future...sneaky bastard! :D

It's more a comment about how skewed his rating system is than a comment about hork actually having said skill.
  • Went to the Airport Club last night, played in the 5/10 Limit game (don't ask me how I did :rage: )

Easy to find really, so if anyone needs directions, let me know. I assume we will all meet there. Around what time did you guys plan on arriving? I think with 80 players, it might be a bit tight to fit us all in, especially with 40 headsup games going, but it should be manageable. Even have a nice little smoking room available. Nice place really, especially for a startup club.
  • I believe they have moved since I had last been there, so I will need directions. What time do things start?
  • I believe it starts at noon.
  • I just got the hand-off from me brother, all the details and then some.
    Joe, I'll bring this stuff with me on Saturday, blind levels, start times, points breakdown etc...

GTA and others, cards are in the air supposedly by noon, but we should aim to be there by 11:30 so Joe can match us up with the competition and we can get our seats etc...

I'm slated to play stud, but there was a freebie Omaha tourney on Stars so I jumped in. started off pretty shaky, but was just starting to climb back into contention when this hand happened...

PokerStars Game #3967545001: Tournament #19613418, Omaha Pot Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2006/02/14 - 00:41:04 (ET)
    Table '19613418 222' Seat #8 is the button
    Seat 1: KuQuAT (8750 in chips)
    Seat 2: tklefty (6760 in chips)
    Seat 3: ermiyas (672 in chips)
    Seat 4: Wi|<eDc|oVVn (8575 in chips)
    Seat 5: doubleuout (1320 in chips) is sitting out
    Seat 6: PlanoUofM (1320 in chips) is sitting out
    Seat 7: FadyFriday (1275 in chips) is sitting out
    Seat 8: iyedol (7885 in chips)
    Seat 9: DEUCEDOGS (1270 in chips) is sitting out
    DEUCEDOGS: posts small blind 25
    KuQuAT: posts big blind 50
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to tklefty [8s 8d Jd Js].................ME
    tklefty: raises 100 to 150
    ermiyas: folds
    Wi|<eDc|oVVn: raises 375 to 525.........had been pretty loose with the chippies, so no worries
    doubleuout: folds
    PlanoUofM: folds
    FadyFriday: folds
    iyedol: folds
    DEUCEDOGS: folds
    KuQuAT: folds
    tklefty: calls 375
    *** FLOP *** [8c 3s Ac]
    tklefty: bets 1125
    Wi|<eDc|oVVn: raises 3375 to 4500
    tklefty: raises 1735 to 6235 and is all-in
    Wi|<eDc|oVVn: calls 1735
    Wi|<eDc|oVVn said, "wowzers"
    *** TURN *** [8c 3s Ac] [Kd]
    *** RIVER *** [8c 3s Ac Kd] [Kh]
    Wi|<eDc|oVVn said, "hahaha"
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    tklefty: shows [8s 8d Jd Js] (a full house, Eights full of Kings)
    Wi|<eDc|oVVn: shows [7h Kc Td Ad] (a full house, Kings full of Aces)
    Wi|<eDc|oVVn collected 13595 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 13595 | Rake 0
    Board [8c 3s Ac Kd Kh]
    Seat 1: KuQuAT (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 2: tklefty showed [8s 8d Jd Js] and lost with a full house, Eights full of Kings
    Seat 3: ermiyas folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: Wi|<eDc|oVVn showed [7h Kc Td Ad] and won (13595) with a full house, Kings full of Aces
    Seat 5: doubleuout folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: PlanoUofM folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: FadyFriday folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: iyedol (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: DEUCEDOGS (small blind) folded before Flop

Hopefully I'll get better flops at stud...wait...do they have flops at stud?...oh well, let's play!!!
  • I'm just wondering if there is anyone on the Toronto team that will be returning to the east end that is willing to give me a ride at the end of the game.
  • Define east end, I'm at Yonge and Steeles but I can't guarantee if I'll be heading straight home
  • Scarborough (McCowan Steeles), but if you are going home, I can just hop on to a bus on Steeles.
  • If we leave at the same time its np, but I may stay and play cash or head to Brantford, depends how I feel
  • Thanks GTA. Just trying to arrange something ahead of time so if nothing works, I can tell my team I'll stay with them for the night at the Holiday Inn
  • URGENT.

All team members check your PMs and respond only via PM.

Thanks
  • To my fellow team members, CONGRADULATIONS for a great showing yesterday at the Ryder Cup. We didn't take it down, but we sure as hell put up a good fight for it. It was great to work together as a team and put our best effort forward. Thanks for having me on the team, and if/when the Ryder Cup should be defended, you can count on me to participate.
  • I'd just like to apologize to my team for underestimating the effect of jet-lag that had saw my mental state slowly deteriorate throughout the night.. not that it really had much of an effect on my play in the SnGs (Won Omaha, cold decked in LHE with a chipleading calling station to my left - 4th, and flopped K-flush vs A-flush in NHLE 6th).

I must say I love the way the HU match worked out, where it was myself and G2 Heads up with all the other matches completed. Whoever won would take 3rd. Let's put the sleepiest guy who's got a migrane and threw up in the bathroom 30 minutes earlier in a match for all the money...

I apologize again for forgetting to get my hands to hold up all-in with the best of it each time (K3s vs J9o and A5o vs Q6 - the first for the win, the second was my bustout hands). My all-in river bluff with KJo on the flushed board to take control of the match will probably be remembered as one of my favourite hands of the night.

I can honestly barely remember much about the day but I think I had a good time. Next time, I'll get a good nights sleep and we'll dominate.

Oh, I also think that GTA should have gotten up on the table, flexed the pythons and gotten in Marks face when he won the HU match. There's such a thing as being a gracious winner Mark, and you were FAAAAAR from it last night. Pumping your fist in peoples faces and quoting old WWF tired gimmicks is a bit much. I was also very surprised by the lack of personal control the "Red Shirt" guys had. If there was a lound explicitive, it was from you guys. Deal with the beats and the suckouts with a little more class guys. People call me the asshole, but you and Flint Bones were horrible.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    There's such a thing as being a gracious winner
    There's also such a thing as being a gracious loser, but the beginning of your post is simply "excuse, excuse, excuse - but I'm the greatest so we'll win next time".  As far as Mark's celebrations, it was a big win for our team, with a lot at stake considering how close we were to Waterloo.  If a team wins game 6 to force a 7th game, should they not jump on the ice and celebrate because it's not "gracious"?  Mark was cheering himself and his team, not being derogatory to the other players, and I'm glad I have somebody who was that pumped to on my team.  What you didn't see is how hard he took his HU loss which sealed our second-place finish, since he felt he let his team down.  He took responsibility, even though it wasn't all his to bear.  Mark cared about his team, and I'll take that over somebody whining about "it's not my fault I lost".  Pick your targets a little more carefully, and know ALL the facts before you keep running your mouth.  I have no problem with your "attitude" and I've said that publicly and privately, but you shouldn't report only the part of the truth that makes your slander sound legit.
  • I really hope this isn't turning into a "You and Me at the flagpole after school" kinda thing.

Our team may be loud. We may be really obnoxious at times, too. However Beanie is right when he says that we cheer for eachother and empathize after bad beats because we really are a close group and care about eachother. We are all very light hearted and enjoy the games we get to play with out peers in the poker community. It should always be kept in mind that we have great respect for everyone out there.

I think it's fairly well known that poker players are competitive by nature. Throw a team element in the mix and the competitivness is only heightened. We all had a very good time playing and would have felt so even if we had placed last.
  • Pick your targets a little more carefully, and know ALL the facts before you keep running your mouth

You are the one with the selective memory. Mark was loud, overbearing and annoying for the entire tournament. I can live with it occuring while the tournament winds down and 'emotions are high', but Mark's boisterous posturing was a constant from the start.
    As far as Mark's celebrations, it was a big win for our team, with a lot at stake considering how close we were to Waterloo. If a team wins game 6 to force a 7th game, should they not jump on the ice and celebrate because it's not "gracious"? Mark was cheering himself and his team, not being derogatory to the other players, and I'm glad I have somebody who was that pumped to on my team.

How about when he won the first SnG and got up on the chair and started flexing quite quoting some shauwn michaels? Or how about when he was swearing when he was behind all-in and sucked out to stay alive or whooping it up in the 3rd SnG when he busted two people on one hand. It's tolerable to behave like that when playing your friends (because they know you <should be> joking), It's complete bullshit when you do it to people you don't know. You just look like a jerk.

Also, you have no comment about all the swearing your team did. Should I just expect that kind of bevahour from you guys? Standard fare?
    and I'll take that over somebody whining about "it's not my fault I lost".

Uhh yeah.. Whatever. Take off your rose coloured glasses sometime. Maybe while yer at it, shave that godawful moustache too.

Easy: Congrats on completely missing the point. You justify obnoxious behaviour by saying "well we're all friends". Uhh yeah, you guys may be but it reflects poorly towards the people you DON'T know.
  • beanie42 wrote:
    BBC Z wrote:
    There's such a thing as being a gracious winner
    There's also such a thing as being a gracious loser, but the beginning of your post is simply "excuse, excuse, excuse - but I'm the greatest so we'll win next time".  As far as Mark's celebrations, it was a big win for our team, with a lot at stake considering how close we were to Waterloo.  If a team wins game 6 to force a 7th game, should they not jump on the ice and celebrate because it's not "gracious"?  Mark was cheering himself and his team, not being derogatory to the other players, and I'm glad I have somebody who was that pumped to on my team.  What you didn't see is how hard he took his HU loss which sealed our second-place finish, since he felt he let his team down.  He took responsibility, even though it wasn't all his to bear.  Mark cared about his team, and I'll take that over somebody whining about "it's not my fault I lost".  Pick your targets a little more carefully, and know ALL the facts before you keep running your mouth.  I have no problem with your "attitude" and I've said that publicly and privately, but you shouldn't report only the part of the truth that makes your slander sound legit.

Beanie,

The celebrations were an in your face type of taunt. I found it AT TIMES to be over the top. I was not the only one to notice this and nor was our team.

BTW, I was HU with you at the NLH, you played very well and a very strong competitor. Well done.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    It's tolerable to behave like that when playing your friends (because they know you <should be> joking), It's complete bullshit when you do it to people you don't know. You just look like a jerk.
    We thought we were playing with friends - some we just hadn't met yet (although we regularly/semi-regularly play with 5 of the 7 teams, way more than the majority of players there).  We thought it was a very friendly yet competitive event.  And I have seen similar fist-pumping celebrations from very successful and well-known pros as well, although there are also inappropriate outbursts by other very successful and well-known pros.  But again, I don't believe any of it was directed at any other player, it was simply cheering/cursing himself.
    BBC Z wrote:
    Also, you have no comment about all the swearing your team did. Should I just expect that kind of behaviour from you guys? Standard fare?
    I have no comment, because I disagree with that sort of language.  I made my feelings known in another thread (with Flint Bones, surprisingly enough), and I don't like that language nor do I see the need for it.  I love my team, but while I'll defend the cheering and emotions, I won't defend the expletives (sorry guys).  Also, if you noticed, some of us didn't use language like that.
    BBC Z wrote:
    Uhh yeah.. Whatever. Take off your rose coloured glasses sometime. Maybe while yer at it, shave that godawful moustache too.
    While I believe I have been fairly aggressive with my previous and current post in defending my friends, I do not believe I have strayed at any time into personal attacks totally unrelated to the incident's in question.  I'm sorry you don't like my appearance, but I don't see what that has to do with anything except to illustrate that you simply cannot carry on a civil discussion.  If some of the actions of the team were inappropriate or caused offense, I'm the first who would try to rectify them for the good of the community.  But degenerating into a baseless personal attack - you can play that game on your own.
  • Dead Money wrote:
    The celebrations were an in your face type of taunt. I found it AT TIMES to be over the top. I was not the only one to notice this and nor was our team.
    I know they were not meant as "in-your-face", and thos who know Mark probably understood this. However, if they came across that way, I'm sure Mark will deal with this, since like me, Mark's intent is to have fun, not to offend. My apologies, and thanks for the constructive post.
    Dead Money wrote:
    BTW, I was HU with you at the NLH, you played very well and a very strong competitor. Well done.
    I remember well, and I'll be honest, it was a bit scary. After playing with you in the limit, and then the long NL match, I was a little worried about my chances. It was a lot of fun playing with you - I look forward to the next one!
  • OK children lets not turn this into it's my sandbox and I make the rules. I think we must all remembered everyone one of us pulled together to make this happen. If we want it to keep continuing personal attacks are not the way to go.

I may have more tolerance for what other people have complained about, however I do know the KW people (for the most part) very well and probably have played more games against them than my team combined. Thanks for pointing it out and I'm sure it will be taken into consideration in future games.

It was a very emotional day for all of us, and having been through one of my worst slides since I started playing poker, playing well was an incredible high for me. I saw other players more than pull out their A game (greg, trevor), and others who didn't play up to their potential (sorry pinhead and SOS).

Now that the day is behind us, and future events like this are on the horizon I think everyone needs to suck it up a little, get over it, and continue to make this the best poker community in Southern Ontario.
  • AcidJoe wrote:
    OK children lets not turn this into it's my sandbox and I make the rules.  I think we must all remembered everyone one of us pulled together to make this happen.  If we want it to keep continuing personal attacks are not the way to go. 

I may have more tolerance for what other people have complained about, however I do know the KW people (for the most part) very well and probably have played more games against them than my team combined.  Thanks for pointing it out and I'm sure it will be taken into consideration in future games. 

It was a very emotional day for all of us, and having been through one of my worst slides since I started playing poker, playing well was an incredible high for me.  I saw other players more than pull out their A game (greg, trevor), and others who didn't play up to their potential (sorry pinhead and SOS).

Now that the day is behind us, and future events like this are on the horizon I think everyone needs to suck it up a little, get over it, and continue to make this the best poker community in Southern Ontario. 

Very well said Joe....... Both sides, let's get back to the business at hand... Planning the next event... maybe HU between BBC and Mark? naw that may be like the proverbial pouring gasoline on.....
  • Well said Joe!!

There's always next time, and I'm looking forward to it myself. Although I played a solid limit and headsup game, my no limit bust out was an embarressment to myself AND my team. And although I didn't make any points in the Stud, I felt I played it quite well giving the fact I had only played it twice before.

Oh, and I'm not about to make any excuses for anyone, but when someone can play as well as BBC did all day while combatting jetlag fatigue AND hurling their friggin guts out every half an hour, they deserve some credit for playing as well as they did.

Sign me up for the next tournament!
  • AcidJoe wrote:
    If we want it to keep continuing personal attacks are not the way to go.  
    I totally agree, although if there are issues, dealing with them constructively (like Dead Money's post) is a good thing before we all get back together.  We do want EVERYONE having fun and feeling comfortable :) .
    AcidJoe wrote:
    This IS a great community, and I'm proud to be a part of it.  The majority of people I have met through the forum are great people, and getting everyone together is definately worth it.
  • For those of you on the forum and/or at the Royal Cup yesterday who know us - which many of you personally do - you will appreciate that any actions by team Kitchener meant no disrespect to the tournament or the competitors.

It was just a little adrenaline - no different from a competitive sports match. I am sure we can all relate.
  • I'm not a Poker Forum super-fantastic-outstanding-elite member like most of you at the tournament, but I do have some impartial third-party opinions on the recent debate if anybody cares:

Like I have already mentioned in another post, I honestly believe there were some fantastic players at the Royal Cup and truly had a great time. It didn't even occur to me that an argument like this could happen because it seemed like everyone else was having innocent fun as well. The Heartbreak Kids were friendly, entertaining, and brought energy to the tournament. It made our victory all the sweeter to beat them so marginally for the championship.

BBC_Z, I'm sure you have your reasons for that instigative post, and believe me, I empathize with your vertigo at the event. However, I have to say that your personal attack on beanie (which he handled very well) lost you all credibility. Your critique of Mark and the other HK's was a matter of taste. Just because you are able to write up your emotions and post it for everyone to see in a seemingly harmless manner does not make it any more elegant. Making excuses for lack of prep, complaining about bad beats, and criticizing your opponents in the same post is pretty class-less to me.

Also, I'm sure you're an awesome player, but just because you're alive and healthy for the next tournament doesn't mean you'll be guaranteed to "dominate". That comment especially opened the gates for disdain from the other teams.

Open for criticism. What the heck, it's reading week! :D
  • GG guys, sorry I was so tired, probably should have brought in a few more points in the PLO and NLH, fun day overall.

Great performance Joe.
  • Toronto Team, you guys are great players. I heard a lot of compliments about your playing ability throughout the day and on the way home. Joe, I dont think I've seen you play better. Well done! I hope the 4th place finish didn't taint the event for all of you. I'm sure it didn't.

BBC_Z I wish you would have either PM'd or said what you had to say to Mark in person, it doesn't appear to have any purpose other then to slander our team or Mark specifically when you post it in a public forum. I have heard you say time and time again that if someone has a problem with you to PM you. Take your own advice. I don't need to tell you that your comment about Trevor was both incredibly immature and intentionally hurtful. You've lost a lot of respect from me for that one comment alone, and believe me I don't care if that doesn't bother you.

The Royal Cup was one of the best events ran since this forum was formed, I'm not sure why you have to try and taint it with your negative comments.

Toronto, the rest of the forum should know how classy and respectful your team is. Hopefully people won't focus on BBC's comments and make a judgement about you guys as a whole. Hopefully we'll see you next time.

stp
  • BBC Z wrote:
    I'd assume that the head on Magi's bobblehead would be so large (to contain the ego) as to instantly crush anything that got in it's way.

I must say I love the way the HU match worked out, where it was myself and G2 Heads up with all the other matches completed. Whoever won would take 3rd. Let's put the sleepiest guy who's got a migraine and threw up in the bathroom 30 minutes earlier in a match for all the money...

Did you even talk to your captained about the way you were feeling?  When I was passing the sheet around to the captains, Jeff had put g2's name in and Cameron, already using GTA against Mark, Joe needing to win his match and putting himself against the Milton captain, went to you for the g2 match knowing how good g2 is having playing several times with him before.  Being a captain is about information and you didn't help your team by providing the information about not feeling well.  You could have been given a perceived easier match.  Having said that your match could have been played any time you could find cards  and chips.  That's what everyone else was doing.  You just chose to go last.  If I knew you better, I would say it's because you wanted to be the hero, but because I don't I won't say it.

You act like you were the only one with problems.  GTA worked a 12 shift at a hospital in the emergency department, no sleep whatsoever.  You weren't the only one with a headache and no sleep.  I had 2 team members cancel less than 12 hours before the tournament.  I could have just cancelled and not shown up, but I was up all night trying to find  a couple of people. and still came with one guy short and took the first guy on the street who said he would play to try to make this event happen. 30 hours no sleep and I ended up being useless for my team 3 points before the heads up began.  I then went to my car and slept, so I could still be effective in my heads up match because my win or loss would have a profound outcome on the standings. 

Your storming out after your heads up match without shaking hands...unbelievable.  I am glad to see you made it back to the table before you left to shake g2's hand.

Hork42 is such a classy guy, I can't believe you guys are friends.

Your comments about beanie uncalled for.  I am surprised you didn't say I need to shave and drop 200lbs.  I could go on, but I won't. 

This kind of talk has ruined a great day. 

Prophet 22
  • ...  Having said that your match could have been played any time you could find cards  and chips.  That's what everyone else was doing.  You just chose to go last.  If I knew you better, I would say it's because you wanted to be the hero, but because I don't I won't say it.
    That was actually my doing... and yes, I did want to be the hero :)
    This kind of talk has ruined a great day.
    I'm not going to let any petty arguments ruin the best poker tournament I have ever played in.  I can't wait for the next Royal Cup.

/g2
  • I had a good time, unfortunately I wasn't in the mood for much socializing as I was tired, but the people I met at my tables were great.

I'm looking forward to another one of these in the future.

I usually remain fairly neutral on here regarding personal attacks, as poker is neither a personal nor an emotional endeavour for me.

As for Mark, I played him HU. I don't condone his earlier behaviours, but he was a nice and entertaining guy and a good poker player.

As for BBC, anyone knows that a class player in any endeavor, sports or otherwise makes no excuses for their own poor play -- injured, tired, maimed or whatever. But, babies are babies.

Personal attacks on anyone at anytime in a game of cards are uncalled for and intolerable. But, classless is classless.

Cowardice is, of course, magnified on the internet. However, in this case there is no longer much anonymity as it is likely that we will all meet again. People making indignant responses and statements should be prepared to be dealt with in person. Anything that I say to someone on here I would also say to them if they were standing infront of me.