To whom this may all concern

Comments

• crazykoby wrote: »
    To all those who plan to attend tomorrow.

There is a small group of us who are meeting at the Tim's near the funeral home at 1:30pm. We will have a coffee/tea/etc. share a story or two about AJ and then head over to pay our respects.

Anyone who wants to join us is more then welcome.

I have some commitments tomorrow morning so I'm not sure if I'll be there by 1:30 pm, if close enough I will check there first before heading to the funeral home. Saddened and shocked by all this. RIP AJ.
  • A friend that introduced me to the league called me and told me about the sad news,we are both still in shock.

Reading all the posts he was obviously well respected and loved.

Aj always made me feel comfortable in his home and to come out Thursday nites to his league.I looked forward to it each week.
    He would even let me no when I was taking over the conversation too much lol...

Aj will be missed and I want to give my condolences to his family and thank Aj and family for allowing me into their home each week
    To all those who plan to attend tomorrow.

There is a small group of us who are meeting at the Tim's near the funeral home at 1:30pm. We will have a coffee/tea/etc. share a story or two about AJ and then head over to pay our respects.

Anyone who wants to join us is more then welcome.

Unfortunately we cannot make this due to a family commitment I already had to shift in order to make it to the services.

Facebook reports that there will be a reception afterwards at Branch 609 of the Royal Canadian Legion, located on Queen St. It is about a 5 minute drive from the funeral home.

Directions available for those that may want it.
  • **bump**
  • OPT - Orangeville Poker Tour manage to raise $140 that will be added to what everyone hear has already sent to crazkoby to go to the charity that AJ's family chooses.

See some of you tomorrow
  • Still hard to believe this has happened but will see everyone at the Tim Horton's tomorrow and then head over for the visitation and funeral
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Can I toss out an idea?

For those involved in leagues that he participated in or helped inspire their creation as some have said earlier in this thread, what about an annual tourney in his honour. Half (or more) of the prize pool can be donated to one of the previously named charities. Can also make part of the deal that the first person with their AA cracked gets a free reentry into the tourney.

Just a thought :)

I was going to suggest this. I can probably get the same venue I got for the RC for free. I am coming home for Christmas and I could run it January 4th 2014.

We do a Tournament and Cash game. Rake the tournament 10.00 and the cash game standard West Side rake. ALL MONEY WILL BE GIVEN TO THE WHITE FAMILY TO DONATE TO THE CHARITIES OF THEIR CHOICE.

I am sure Al will tournament direct if not I will.

Cash games we get people who can deal. They take an hour time slot and rotate giving everyone a chance to play as well.

I will start a separate thread in October. If you are interested dealing sign up then or PM. Can't do it every year and I won't make it to the funeral but I would like to do this AJ was such a great supporter of West Side And me personally.
  • Cash games we get people who can deal. They take an hour time slot and rotate giving everyone a chance to play as well.
    In...
  • Ditto . . .
  • Don't want to high jack this thread. Those that want to reserve a dealer spot PM and I will add your name to the list when I create the thread in October.

Brent
  • ***bumping***

In case there are those who missed this thread. Not sure how, but you never know.

Quick recap.

Visitations for AJ White is on Sunday 8th of Sept. At the Andrews funeral home on DIXIE RD. Brampton from 12pm to 3pm. Luncheon after, at RCL Br. 609.
  • Sadly I won't be able to make it today all (well, at least services won't be inappropriate now), I've been up all night sicker than I've been in years (not self-induced either).

If a game breaks out in honor of str82ace, $20 to anyone playing AJ and makes broadway.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    If a game breaks out in honor of str82ace, $20 to anyone playing AJ and makes broadway.

Mark

Liking this . . . not the first part.
  • Just back from AJ's service, very nice, I would think there were over 100 there with about 15 of us from Pokerforum.. His daughter Ada and his long lost son Leroy spoke and were both very good. I couldn't stay for the get together afterwards at the Legion but I know some of the others were going..
  • A very nice service, attended by a very diverse cross-section of people whose lives were touched by AJ. As was mentioned at the service, there were Scouters, bikers, poker players, and Mennonites, all of whom felt a kinship in some way with our departed friend.

I hope he liked the send off . . .
  • Was good seeing the many forum members as I haven't seen many of you over the past year. The service as mentioned was well attended, a testament to the guy that STR82ACE was. Since the news of his passing, his voice and his actions have replayed over and over in my mind. I thoroughly enjoyed sitting at a table with him and will miss doing so. Every time I look down and see Ace Jack, I'll be reminded of him.
  • Special thanks to Ed (Muddguts) for giving me a ride to the service. It was out of your way, but I really did appreciate it. As mentioned, the diverse crowd at the service just showed how AJ could fit in with any group and make an impact.
  • I have been in shock since I heard of AJs passing.

I too am out west but have had the pleasure of meeting and knowing AJ for the past few years thanks to our forum family. He was a man with quick wit, laughter and love for everyone around him.

Though I never met his family, he was a very proud family man and never hesitated to brag about them any chance he got. I feel privileged and blessed at having known him and I send my deepest sympathies to the White family.

~Shar
  • I would first like to send my deepest sympathies to AJ's family. I really wish I could have made the service, unfortunately I didn't check the forum until it was too late.

I'm proud to say I was one of the first Ching Hill members when the league first started back in 2005. Even going back through the forum and finding my first win on the hill on dec 22nd 2005, brings a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. I may not have known AJ well outside the felt. but from what I gathered he was a loving father and devoted husband. He enjoyed laughing with everyone at the tables and was quick whitted. Boy oh boy, watching him get all steamed up after beating him in a hand was something funny let me tell you! but he enjoyed the game, he enjoyed the company and he was fair. He opened his home out of the kindness of his heart without asking for a single penny.

RIP AJ
    Your a poker god in my book :)
  • jbird8306 wrote: »
    I would first like to send my deepest sympathies to AJ's family. I really wish I could have made the service, unfortunately I didn't check the forum until it was too late.

I'm proud to say I was one of the first Ching Hill members when the league first started back in 2005. Even going back through the forum and finding my first win on the hill on dec 22nd 2005, brings a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. I may not have known AJ well outside the felt. but from what I gathered he was a loving father and devoted husband. He enjoyed laughing with everyone at the tables and was quick whitted. Boy oh boy, watching him get all steamed up after beating him in a hand was something funny let me tell you! but he enjoyed the game, he enjoyed the company and he was fair. He opened his home out of the kindness of his heart without asking for a single penny.

RIP AJ
    Your a poker god in my book :)

Milton Slim
  • I just want to fill everyone in on what is going to happen with the donations that have generously been given by a lot of you.

As you know we purchased a beautiful flower arrangement for the funeral. I was very pleased with the job the florist did. All of the flowers at the funeral were perfect.

There is a fair amount of money left over and I know that there are still some donations coming in that some members have told me they will be giving. I would say roughly that there is around $450 - $500 left over. I will provide an exact amount once all donations have been received.

I spoke with AJ's wife after the service and have decided that any money left over will be given to Ada (AJ's Daughter). I want this money to be used by Ada in a way that she feels fit. I know that at the end of the day it's not a lot of money in the greater picture of things, but I hope that it will provide her with a moment of happiness in her families time of need.

If anyone else would like to make a donation please do so ASAP so that I can take care of this.
  • Hey, AJ would dip into his poker jar for stuff Ada needed, so why shouldn't we just top it up a little? Good call, Greg . . .
  • I am just sick:. I knew nothing of this even though I am "friends" with some of the Ching Hillers. I am so sad that AJ is no longer with us. I didn't know him well but what I knew I liked tremendously. Sincerest condolences to his family and close friends. We will have to raise a toast to his memory at the Royal. RIP Mr. White.
  • TammiM68 wrote: »
    I didn't know him well but what I knew I liked tremendously.

He had that impact didn't he? I only knew him briefly as well and didn't see him as often as the Ching Hill regulars but I liked him instantly, enjoyed myself around him and wished I could have spent more time with him. I think he just had that wonderful make up of personality and physical characteristics (ie. voice, laugh, looks) that made people want to be around him.
    I just want to fill everyone in on what is going to happen with the donations that have generously been given by a lot of you.

As you know we purchased a beautiful flower arrangement for the funeral. I was very pleased with the job the florist did. All of the flowers at the funeral were perfect.

There is a fair amount of money left over and I know that there are still some donations coming in that some members have told me they will be giving. I would say roughly that there is around $450 - $500 left over. I will provide an exact amount once all donations have been received.

I spoke with AJ's wife after the service and have decided that any money left over will be given to Ada (AJ's Daughter). I want this money to be used by Ada in a way that she feels fit. I know that at the end of the day it's not a lot of money in the greater picture of things, but I hope that it will provide her with a moment of happiness in her families time of need.

If anyone else would like to make a donation please do so ASAP so that I can take care of this.

After a long absence AJ's passing has brought me back here. .
    I echo everyone's sentiments here about AJ and send my condolences to the family. AJ was super nice guy even when I would lay a beat on him with a trash hand!
    The funeral home required a second room to accomodate all the people that wished to pay their respects!
    I would also like to send a few bucks if it is not too late, just let me know the best route. Email transfer?
  • After a long absence AJ's passing has brought me back here. .
    I echo everyone's sentiments here about AJ and send my condolences to the family. AJ was super nice guy even when I would lay a beat on him with a trash hand!
    The funeral home required a second room to accomodate all the people that wished to pay their respects!
    I would also like to send a few bucks if it is not too late, just let me know the best route. Email transfer?

The best way to get to me is to EMT gregh@hocltd.com

As it stands right now, we have a total of $780 left over to give to the family. I plan to try to go by AJ house over the weekend to drop the money off to Ada/Brenda.
  • Done. Thanks for the help!
  • Done. Thanks for the help!

Got it! thank you.
  • Today, Friday the 13th reminds me off last summer as Greg, AJ and myself rode to Dover.

Thanks for the memories AJ

RIP Friend
  • I have not been on the forum for a long time now but am happy to see what you have been doing Greg and will be happy to send something your way to give to the family, sorry I have not logged on sooner but am happy to see it is not too late. All the statements here of the people who knew AJ well or even only met him once or twice really divulge just how great of a guy he was. It was clear by by the amount of people who attended his service how he affected many of our lives.
    I have been friends with AJ for the last 7 years and will always remember my times at the Hill. My first game was at the Elliott's as AJ was on vacation. The whole game I remember them talking about AJ, the league and how nice of a guy he was and I felt like I knew all about him before I met him a couple weeks later. Since then we became much closer and I enjoyed spending time with him outside of poker. He really did make you feel welcome and was always looking to help. I will never forget the times I spent with AJ and the good times we had. My condolences to Ada, Brenda and the rest of the White family.