BB10, RIM and the future

Comments

• SteveKerr wrote: »
    I heard RIM or now Blackberry shares dropped 12% as BB10 failed to excite investors

The close: RIM shares pounded as BB10 fails to excite investors The close: RIM shares pounded as BB10 fails to excite investors - The Globe and Mail From @MarketBlog

What will excite investors is what the reaction of the business world is to the the new apps (and I don't mean Angry Birds), mail, content, profiles, security.. Too early to tell but we will see. As I said before this will be a somewhat volatile journey.
    I was pleasantly surprised that availability and pricing was announced across a wide range of carriers including all 4 major US ones right off the bat... Looks like all of the major apps are there and some of the new gee whiz features will impress given a chance.

Certainly not a guarantee of success but a good first step.
  • Preordered. Get it feb 5 I hope.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Preordered. Get it feb 5 I hope.

Thank you.. ;)
  • actyper wrote: »
    Preordered. Get it feb 5 I hope.

What one the Q10 or the Z10?
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    What one the Q10 or the Z10?

Q10 is a month out... Z10 actually actually debuts with carriers in the UK tomorrow, wonder why not until Feb 5th here...?
  • Just put in a buy order which will bring my avg price up to $10.90. Others are selling, I'm buying...

latest unconfirmed rumours are that Blackberry will soon announce it will allow other phones and O/S's access to Blackberry's security stack.. If this happens Blackberry will move well beyond being a smart phone manufacturer... Licensing fees will likely apply here and that folks will be key.
  • Z10. If q10 had a slide out keyboard to keep the 4.2 screen then I might have waited.
  • BB created bb10 to keep up or catch apple/samsung

They aren't innovators anymore and that's why they are going to tank (so I'm told)

Dump it asap
  • costanza wrote: »
    BB created bb10 to keep up or catch apple/samsung

They aren't innovators anymore and that's why they are going to tank (so I'm told)

Dump it asap

You are so unknowledgeable it's astounding... educate yourself..

I'm not advising anyone to buy (or sell), that's a personal investment decision as part of ones portfolio. Whether one thinks they should buy, sell or hold, I'm sure your opinion holds zero weight.
  • costanza wrote: »
    BB created bb10 to keep up or catch apple/samsung

Dump it asap

Serious insider info here. Likely from a cousin, who heard it from a buddy, who heard it from a waitress at a bar, who read it from a note they found under a couch. After moving it of course.
  • Serious insider info here. Likely from a cousin, who heard it from a buddy, who heard it from a waitress at a bar, who read it from a note they found under a couch. After moving it of course.

You're going to get reported!
  • Blackberry 10 blows away anything on the market right now.
  • Yeah, volatile is an understatement here. From 18+ to $13.86 in four trading sessions. Personally don't like the name change to Blackberry....but Research in Motion was kind of awkward I suppose. Stock should rise or drop now based on unit sales numbers (first week...month...quarter?...not sure how they figure it), and whether the front loading/shorting analysts decide they want to make money on the upside or downside.
  • Only took a day for the analysts to go to work....worried about U.S 'delays' (or what appears to be the originally planned launch date in March)...

RIM shares sink, analysts cautious on U.S. delays - The Globe and Mail

Down another 8% this morning.
  • Apple > RIM = Nortel ??
  • I don't think Nortel should really be compared to either. Nortel had some serious accounting issues and was losing money the whole time if I remember correctly. I used to trade it for 250-500 shares for the $5-$10 sp fluctuations when it was in the $50-60 range....thankfully didn't get stuck holding when it tanked. That was back when the stock market was fun...it's just a cesspool now where if you can eek out a profit you take it and thank your lucky stars.

Edit: Actually it was probably more of a cesspool then...but the general investing public either didn't know or didn't care....lol
  • Dump dump dump dump :)
  • Just got a text message from Rogers about upgrading to the Z10 on Feb 5, or Q10 at some point in the future. Tried to check their site for eligibility status. Site is overloaded and inaccessible. Good sign I think?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Just put in a buy order which will bring my avg price up to $10.90. Others are selling, I'm buying...
    Got my buy in overnight for $12.12 so am at an overall avg cost of $10.04. current price is at $13.29 so am up over a buck on these shares... Feel like a day trader.. :) Wild ride for sure.. Used to love roller coasters when I was young, now.. not so much..
    SuperNed wrote: »
    Only took a day for the analysts to go to work....worried about U.S 'delays' (or what appears to be the originally planned launch date in March)...

RIM shares sink, analysts cautious on U.S. delays - The Globe and Mail
    Down another 8% this morning.
    You are right on, this is the cause of yesterdays and todays fluctuations. The US market is a big part of it and RIM, er sorry Blackberry is being punished for it. Just emotion controlling the brain... Let's get through the next month or two and we'll have a much better idea where this is going.

pokerJAH wrote: »
    Apple > RIM = Nortel ??

lol, you are joking right? As an investor yourself you should know better..

Price of the stock is still dirt cheap compared to Apple and there is money to be made here.. Just because RIM's stock price is 1/30th of Apple's does not mean it is or is not a better buy... It's all a matter of perspective, and your short/long term goals..

Actually I am considering buying some Apple as well (shudder) but it could also be ok for the long term at todays price..
  • RIMM is spending a lot on this product so we shall see if they start to turn a profit. I don't buy shares in companies losing money anymore. Learned that lesson the hard way. RIM is all speculation right now.
  • Might be to late for RIM with the new BB10, I think if there shares go over $16 SELL! also my guess is they will do well till the hype wears off, stocks drop and Google swoops in to buy them out.
  • The only smartphone I've ever had is a BlackBerry. On my wife's last upgrade she switched to a Samsung SIII, and I planned to as well. I even told the Omar the Bell salesguy to punch me if I tried to come in and get another BlackBerry. I love my 9900 but I'm sort of tired of seeing an app I might be interested in (and I'm not really an app guy) not be available on BB.
    Now that I've seen what the Z10 has to offer though (which includes the Kindle app), I'm really second guessing myself. The hub feature seems like a pretty useful tool, and the camera face-fixing thing is cool though I know I'd rarely use it.

My sister is getting the new phone so I'll have a few months to ask her how it is before I upgrade in June.
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    I even told the Omar the Bell salesguy to punch me if I tried to come in and get another BlackBerry.

How large is Omar? This could be a very important factor to consider as well.
  • How large is Omar? This could be a very important factor to consider as well.

I'd say I have 6" and 50lbs on him, but he could distract me with a phone and then - POW, right in the kisser - down I go.
    the camera face-fixing thing is cool though I know I'd rarely use it.

think that was a Galaxy 3 feature last year.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    think that was a Galaxy 3 feature last year.
    Fact.

I believe it's called "Best Face"
  • A good friend of mine works for Bell and he said that the BB10s are the largest preorder that Bell has ever tallied. That's just for Canada though. Not sure about internationally. Still, it's one good sign for the company and the stock.
  • ticker changes to BB on monday.
    I'd say I have 6" and 50lbs on him, but he could distract me with a phone and then - POW, right in the kisser - down I go.

The beard would save you . . . no question.
  • Closed at $15.94 today.... Lookin Good! lol, told you it would be a bumpy ride.. If I sold now I would have made just over $5. a share, approx 48%. Not too shabby at all.. Now where do we go from here? Of course we know what our resident investment "pro" costanza says but what about the rest of you? Anyone get a Z10 today?

Also just saw the commercial on NFL.com.

BB rated #1 commercial at the moment, just ahead of Coca-Cola and Budweiser... Samsung #28...

Not really sure what means but I'll take it..;)