BB10, RIM and the future

So with the fast approaching BB10 launch (Jan 30th) and all the new devices on the horizon I thought it might be appropriate to have a thread to discuss, since we are all (well mostly anyways) Canadians and want to support homegrown technology right?

I assume most of you are aware of crackberry.com which is an independent website supporting Blackberry technology.

CrackBerry.com

I am a RIM supporter and while I'm not really anti Iwhatever, I do feel the whole Iphone arena is greatly overhyped...

What do you all think, will you be buying BB devices again? Or has the whole horrible RIM marketing, etc of the past 24 months just pissed you off too much?

The other interesting thing is what will happen to RIM shares.. I bought a significant amount last Dec at $12.10, they went to about $17. in Feb I think, then later drifted down to just under $8. I bought more at $8.20 averaging down my holdings to about $10. Now sitting at about $11.80. Where do they go from here?

My prediction as to what is going to make it or break it, is going to be at the enterprise level. This is what is key, not the individual users like you and I.. Reminds me a little of IBM on a smaller scale.. Dominated the market until the they tried to make devices to fit everyone form corporate to home (individual) user, got clobbered in the home market then retrenched and came back even stronger... I'm sure most of you don't realize how successful IBM is again since they really don't play in the home market. Hopefully RIM will retrench in a similar way... I'm betting on it.

Comments

• All the tech articles seem pretty enthusiastic about these glasses that are coming down the pipe, but I think that sort of gear would be a big hurdle in terms of comfort level acceptance. I am admittedly somewhat of a Luddite, owning no cell-phone, or tablet, just a laptop that is a couple years old. But it suits my needs, so I do not care.

I am regularly amazed at what they are engineering almost daily in terms of consumer electronics, but I am also mindful that today's iPhone is likely to be tomorrow's Palm Pilot, and usually on purpose in order to recycle sales dollars.
  • Interesting preview video for those that haven't seen it..

RIM Blackberry 10 Gives User Balance, Bhardwaj Says: Video - Bloomberg
  • cannot compete with Apple or Samsung; might hold on to business users for now. They are losing market share each quarter and have to turn this around to survive. They are losing money, which historically has never been the case. Their new products don't come out until after the holiday season. The stock is going up but nothing really to support this up swing (just hype). I won't buy it again until they start to make a profit and can increase their market share.
  • Holiday season has nothing to do with the business market, quite the opposite in fact, so strike down that argument.. Buy when the market is hot? Not what Buffet would do... Get in now, mark my words...

Have you read any of the factual stuff coming out, and I don't mean the physical phones..
  • I have family that works for RIM and have nothing against the company, but I think their product sucks ass, from their phones to their tablets

Also, when was the last time there was even any BB advertising?

Stock prices don't dictate worth to me; a quality product does, and blackberry simply doesn't have that right now, and they are getting killed by samsung and apple right now.

There's literally nothing that appeals to me about blackberry, their quality has always been very questionable, and they simply cant come up with technology that would make me interested in them over their competitors given how much they have fucking sucked the past 2 years.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Holiday season has nothing to do with the business market, quite the opposite in fact, so strike down that argument.. Buy when the market is hot? Not what Buffet would do... Get in now, mark my words...

Have you read any of the factual stuff coming out, and I don't mean the physical phones..

I don't invest in companies that are losing money. RIM needs a home run or they will be swallowed by one of their comps. In the near future.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I don't invest in companies that are losing money. RIM needs a home run or they will be swallowed by one of their comps. In the near future.

We'll see... I invest in companies that are good value with good upside... Since when did making money have anything to do with stock price..;)

RIM is my Joe Carter.

Would like to see other than Apple fan boys comment..
  • When I worked for RIM and they were on top of their game, they worked on a 8 month life cycle and had 3 designs in the pipeline continuously. One phone in production, one in design and one in planning. 4 months between phones and 8 months btwn innovations.

Now, 2+ years to get BB10 out - ridiculous.
  • moose wrote: »
    When I worked for RIM and they were on top of their game, they worked on a 8 month life cycle and had 3 designs in the pipeline continuously. One phone in production, one in design and one in planning. 4 months between phones and 8 months btwn innovations.

Now, 2+ years to get BB10 out - ridiculous.

You do realize there is lot more to this than a phone don't you? Where did you work at RIM?
  • I use a BB for work (i have no choice) and I like the physical keyboard. That's it. In every other way, it is inferior to other smart phones. The web browser is awful. App selection is poor.

Last I heard, their first BB10 phone would not have a physical keyboard which IMO is their only advantage in the market. If that is true, that is simply a terrible business decision. Put out the phone with the physical keyboard FIRST in order to keep the people who like that option (and can't get it with the iPhone).
  • Lol blackberries. It's not 2008 anymore. Smart phones got smart. Blackberries have barely advanced. Terrible terrible web browsing, barely any apps. 4 hour load power on times. Come on you can't be serious with them being able to compete with the apples, samsungs of the world.

Oh and the play book ......lolol
  • BrianS wrote: »
    Lol blackberries. It's not 2008 anymore. Smart phones got smart. Blackberries have barely advanced. Terrible terrible web browsing, barely any apps. 4 hour load power on times. Come on you can't be serious with them being able to compete with the apples, samsungs of the world.

Oh and the play book ......lolol

lmao, this.
  • You guys (kids) are so stuck in the past. I look ahead... Just wait.. ;)

You have no idea how to evaluate future technology... Damn brainwashed Idevice dweebs...

And if you lol at the PB you have no idea how to use one or haven't tried.. For $100+ bucks there is nothing close...
  • compuease wrote: »
    You do realize there is lot more to this than a phone don't you? Where did you work at RIM?

I worked in Waterloo. Duh. You ask dumb questions.

How many companies have they licensed their software to? None. They are a phone company. Without a phone, having software is meaningless. They lost it on the app war when they decided to make life difficult for app developers, when they could have had people writing software for them for free. Once that happened they should have thrown their shit in with android and given up on developing software. Waiting for BB10 has killed their share of the most important marketplace in the world - USA.

Once corporations in the US decided they didn't really need the security of the Blackberry servers and starting allowing their employees to get the phones they wanted, it was over. No way Blackberry ever regains that exclusivity.

Their market was corporate. They lost that market. They tried to enter the consumer market. Crappy phones with crappy OS and no apps - no one in the US owns a Blackberry voluntarily.
  • BrennerM wrote: »
    I use a BB for work (i have no choice) and I like the physical keyboard. That's it. In every other way, it is inferior to other smart phones. The web browser is awful. App selection is poor.

Last I heard, their first BB10 phone would not have a physical keyboard which IMO is their only advantage in the market. If that is true, that is simply a terrible business decision. Put out the phone with the physical keyboard FIRST in order to keep the people who like that option (and can't get it with the iPhone).

I have to agree here. The keyboard was one of the things that differentiated it and without it they may lose a good portion of the die hards. I think the new release, and when it doesn't set the world on fire sales-wise, will be the final nail in the coffin. Without the keyboard, to the masses it's just going to be another more than likely inferior product in the already overcrowed space of touchscreen generic copies. If I owned the stock I'd be dumping it yesterday. Then again I wouldn't own AAPL at these much lower prices either. Cheap on multiple, but nowhere to go and the majority of innovation is over. You can only resell the same stuff to the izombies every six months so many times before they finally wise up.... :confused:
  • Interesting to see how this pans out

Comp, an elder, experienced tech "savvy" (Lulz) person, who also has financial interest in RIM vs. A bunch of people telling him he's wrong lol
  • costanza wrote: »
    Interesting to see how this pans out

Comp, an elder, experienced tech "savvy" (Lulz) person, who also has financial interest in RIM vs. A bunch of people telling him he's wrong lol

I have no question that from a tech standpoint comp knows his stuff so I'm not sure what the Lulz is all about. The problem is these days 'tech' rides waves and fads, and far too many people have turned against RIM for the to ever turn it around. Apple will be the same way once everyone figures out they have nothing more innovative to offer. I mean an ipad 'mini'? Gimme a break. Then a thinner mini next? Then an Iphone maxi? The run is over. Anyone remember when IBM's were the desktop of choice and every other brand was referred to as a clone (early 80's)? 'Smartphones' are heading down that same path, they'll be like SD cards soon enough...basically a commodity. RIM has a slight chance (stock) if it is acquired by Microsoft or...well I can't really think of who else might want to take them out (and probably not even Microsoft anymore), but otherwise I really think the thing that made them stand out (security, keyboard) is in most people's mind gone. The media is just salivating waiting to crucify RIM if they don't hit it out of the park too...which won't help.
  • Btw, I'm not an Apple boy (bitch) :). I rather see a Canadian company do well but haven't met a person that has bought a RIM product in the last two years.
  • moose wrote: »
    I worked in Waterloo. Duh. You ask dumb questions.

Well I figured that duhhhh! I meant where in RIM, what dept/group, etc? Just curious.
  • For me, right now, the physical keyboard is what makes me happy about my bb. If they are removing that for the next generation, I won't really have any reason to stick with their brand, however I have no clue what I'd choose next. I can't use a touch screen on a cel phone.

As for the other issues... I do agree they've gotten murdered in the media. They have to take most of the responsibility for this, but once media momentum started rolling downhill it's become almost unstoppable.
  • For me, right now, the physical keyboard is what makes me happy about my bb. If they are removing that for the next generation, I won't really have any reason to stick with their brand, however I have no clue what I'd choose next. I can't use a touch screen on a cel phone.

As for the other issues... I do agree they've gotten murdered in the media. They have to take most of the responsibility for this, but once media momentum started rolling downhill it's become almost unstoppable.

There will be both touch screen and physical keyboard models, maybe not all on Jan 30th but there will be both.. A little birdie told me...;)
  • Well, that makes things more interesting.

A guy I work with (non painter) got an iPhone a few weeks back. One day he went on and on about the apps he got for it and started going through them.

He has one that makes his phone do a whip lashing sound when he motions it in my direction.

He has one that tells him the name of the artist and song when he walks into an area where there's music playing.

He went on and on explaining all the different things he can play with on his iPhone. He didn't get anything accomplished in terms of work that day.... Not one piece of wood was cut. Not one screw was driven. But he got paid for a full day.

This being said, I'm sure there are many other productive apps available for i products. I just never see or hear of anyone using them.

To this date on my bb, I've downloaded a weather app, facebook (likely deleting that one VERY soon), and last week Tapatalk so I could keep an eye on you guys while I was at my Mom's.
  • I think RIM's main problem is that they release products to compete against Apple before they are ready.

My wife had the first (I think) BB without a keyboard, The Storm. I was OK for the first year, but then quickly both the hardware and the software began to break down. She put up with it until the 2nd year when she could upgrade. When she took it in the clerk lol'd and told her that that model began coming back after just a few months. RIM also put out a Storm 2, which failed miserably.

Don't forget about the Playbook. They design a fairly decent tablet to 'bring down' the iPad but forget to include RIM's most valuable asset: access to email! Whoops.

I also remember that BBs where cool with young people (a huge market potential) because of BBM, but once Apple brought out iMessage, they lost that edge.

As for the future, I think that RIM should focus more on just a few really high quality devices that cater to their market and stop trying to directly bring down Apple. If they stick with the formula that made them a huge tech company, they will be fine.
  • Android is the future.

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    Android is the future.

/g2

Please expand on this.
  • Still holding on to my bold until 10, will see ...
  • New 10 interface is pretty sweet... some fun stuff to come for sure. They'll have a keyboard and non keyboard so something for everyone. They're not apple, but if they gain 5% of the market they'll be just fine.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Don't forget about the Playbook. They design a fairly decent tablet to 'bring down' the iPad but forget to include RIM's most valuable asset: access to email! Whoops.

Old news, that was fixed with V2.0 early this year.. As of xmas this year my family will have 6 of them in everyday use.. Fantastic little tablet at $118.. well 5 of them were purchased at that price anyways.. I have no illusions nor do I want to defend RIM's past marketing faux pas but technically its a great tablet in the under $200. market.. We'll see what the next one is like.