Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• Quick show of hands please!

Who thinks the most storied franchise in Baseball is ridiculous for retiring Reggie Jackson's number? Moose......anybody else?

Retiring numbers is based on a mix of illustrious careers and service to an organization. There are no hard and set rules for it and I won't rail against it if a guy like Dave Stieb is similarly honoured in the future. Nolan Ryan had his number retired by every team he pitched for.....how many of those teams fans are disgusted by it?
  • 4 years of playoffs out of 5 season with the Yankees. 3 World Series, 2 titles, one WS MVP. Also retired by Oakland for which he played 9 seasons.

Please keep looking for a selection weaker than Alomar.
  • Nah, whatever nonsensical reasons you want to hold on to, just keep holding on.
  • Well when you name Alomar as one of the top 3 second basemen of all time, your judgement is obviously clouded by homerism.

Carew, Morgan, Robinson, Hornsby, Ryno without even trying too hard and I'm pretty sure their numbers are all retired. Cano will be smashing all in a few years.
  • Seems Mosse thinks that longevity with a team is the requirement for retiring their number. While that is true in most cases, this is the first hall of famer going in as a Blue Jay (If I am wrong about this, I am sure someone will let me know).

As such, the team wanted to honour their first hall of famer a little different than just their "wall of fame".
  • Just wondering how drunk Buck Martinez is getting for the telecasts lately?

Two nights ago, called the right fielder Eric Snider or Travis Thames, forget which.

Last night: "There's a drive, over the w...[2 second pause while tries to save his ass]...left fielder's head."

Today. Bautista drives in Thames, then inexplicably on the very next play, has Thames advancing to third, when it was actually Bautista. WTF?

Serious, can we recommend Pat Tabler for an Emmy or something - how he continues on without bursting into laughter after Martinez's mistakes as if nothing happened, is beyond me.

I think Buck must be drinking with whomever puts up the count and outs and player positions on the screen for the telecasts. It's wrong SO many times. I mean seriously dude, please just look at the scoreboard and get it right.
  • I heard the Jays were going to play texas tonight on sportsnet. The only game i got was the las vegas 51 vs texas. I wish the jays would have shown up.
  • I'm a casual fan but...

Alomar deserves the HOF and the retired #....

He is clearly one of the position's best, I haven't, but google Alomar's greatest plays, and i guarantee there's a video out there. He's the first player to get into Cooperstown with a TBJ jersey, and that's reason enough.

Mark
  • Alomar's best stat years may have been with other teams but, when he was with the Jays, he was the best player on the roster. During his career, he was the best at his position. I am not even a casual baseball fan anymore, but a few images stand out when I think of the Jays:

Alomar just leaving the box in Oakland, arms raised, after he stroked that homer to get the Jays back in the game/series. Single-handedly destroyed the myth of Eckersley as a dominant reliever.

The Carter home run, obv., and the bunt in Atlanta . . .

but Alomar was the best of them all, and deserves to be in the Hall, and deserves the honour of having his # retired.
  • moose wrote: »
    Well when you name Alomar as one of the top 3 second basemen of all time, your judgement is obviously clouded by homerism.

Carew, Morgan, Robinson, Hornsby, Ryno without even trying too hard and I'm pretty sure their numbers are all retired. Cano will be smashing all in a few years.

I guess Scott Miller of CBS Sports is clouded by homerism too. Didn't even know he was from Toronto.

Alomar showed he's special before arrival in bigs - MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball

Quote, "Who was a better all-around second baseman in the game's history? Morgan? Rogers Hornsby? Frankie Frisch? All in the debate, and the list doesn't extend much further."
  • Strange he didn't mention that he deserved to have his number retired...

I'm glad people continue to equate HOF with getting your number retired. Shows the lack of baseball knowledge ITT. Return to playing poker people.
  • LOL.....Moose knows and everyone else is just a poser.

/ thread

funny-sports-pictures-quadruple-facepalm.jpg
  • Bye bye Jo Jo. Hope you don't make the HOF because the Jays might want to retire your number. I mean he does at least hold a major league record. Surprised the Jays finally gave up on Anthopoulos' little pet project.

On the other hand Alex's other pet, EEEncarnacion seems to be coming along. Maybe Jose can go back to right field and we can get rid of Patterson - he went in as a defensive replacement -seriously?- and blows the game.

funny-sports-pictures-quadruple-facepalm.jpg
  • Ha ha I'm not the only one who think Buck drinks between innings:

danelvis 3 hours ago
    Rzep let the team down tonight...though Drunk Buck did say he's been "effective in his first year as closer".

This is a game that we should have won.

tvimf 3 hours agoin reply to danelvis
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about when he was in college. From what I remember the Blue Jays converted him to a starter.

danelvis 3 hours agoin reply to tvimf
    Nah...Buck wasn't talking about his college days. He was trying to say that Rzep has been "effective in his first year as a reliever"...but he said it in Buckese.

He managed to get the number of hits by Hamilton in the game wrong and called the third baseman, "Yunel Escobar". WP Buck.
  • Big trade for the Jays, get ready for some new faces in the bullpen.

Out: Frasor (JohnnieH will be happy), Rzepczynski, Dotel, Patterson and Zach Stewart.

In: OF Colby Rasmus (this could be huge), 3B/OF Mark Teahan (vanilla, but Canadian boy, Dad from St. Marys), LHP Brian Tallet (not again), LHP Trevor Miller (immediately becomes the worst pitcher on the Jays) and RHP PJ Walters (recently converted starter may head back to the rotation in Vegas)

Can't wait for moose to tell us if it was good or bad cause I don't know shit about baseball.
  • out: Frasor

:)
    in: Lhp brian tallet (not again),

:(
  • Shame to see Frasor and Scrabble go. Good bye Patterson - another adventure in the OF last night.

Hopefully Rasmus is our answer in CF. 'Cause Snider isn't. Doesn't really solve the logjam in OF when Lawrie comes up.
  • If Jose commits to 3b next year perhaps Lawrie can go back to 2b, goodbye Hill. Either this trade is gold. Sucks seeing Frasor and Scrabble go though, we easily have the worst pen in the league now.
  • Watching Rasmus tonigh he has a sweet swing, fast bat. He will be the answer to our centerfield needs. Wish he had more speed.
  • payperview wrote: »
    Watching Rasmus tonigh he has a sweet swing, fast bat. He will be the answer to our centerfield needs. Wish he had more speed.

When I saw his swing I immediately thought of Andre Dawson.

I dont know why.
  • Goodbye Jo-Jo. We hardly Got to know you......
  • Apparently all remaining games will be available on your tablets, smartphones, etc. Just heard it on McCown's show this afternoon.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Apparently all remaining games will be available on your tablets, smartphones, etc. Just heard it on McCown's show this afternoon.

On Rogers phones yes.
  • For baseball fans watch The Franchise series on TMN. Behind the scenes series about the SF Giants. Just caught it last night and got hooked.
  • I know it's not BJs related but I thought this was pretty cool. How often do you see and infield triple?

Video Of MLB Infield Triple | Flint's Rock Radio
  • Jays have called up Brett Lawrie and Luis Perez and have sent Travis Snider back to Las Vegas!
  • Wow has Snider ever sunk on the depth chart. Behind Thames now.
  • Finding it hard to follow baseball these days.....talk about a league in dire need of a salary cap / floor.

Every year it's Yankees / Red Sox........and usually one or two other alternating teams competing for the American League title. Of course the Jays stuck in the east having a steady diet of the top 2 payrolls for the last 15 years.

I say put a salary cap in, or switch the schedule to be even against all teams in AL, then they might have a fighting chance at a wildcard (can always dream).
  • ^^^^

They'd be winning a hell of a lot more (or they suck at stealing signs :D )