Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• this team is a write off.
    Jeez have a little faith! ;)
  • Jeez have a little faith! ;)

Kind of ironic that you would use that particular word. You probably won't believe me, but I said to a friend of mine that the Raptors and Leafs won't make the playoffs until both presidents were changed. And with the Raptors entering the playoffs this year and the Leafs last year, both predictions came true in the first two seasons of the new management. The Leafs would be there again except for the collapse of the last 8 games. The same is true with the Jays. Why would the Jays fire JP and hire the man he trained. While AA may have some of his own ideas, he largely learned about being a GM under JP. When he started out, it looked like AA had a vision for this team, but 5 years later, we are no better off in all reality with an expected position of 4th at best but realistically last.

In order for this team to make the playoffs everything has to go perfect. Brett Lawrie and José Bautista each have to play 300 games between them. Lawrie needs to increase his OPS, EE does what he did again, Lind needs to get better, Reyes needs to do what he is capable of doing and the overall defense needs to improve greatly. (Goins needs to be exceptional at 2nd and hit .200 at the very least).

Team Defensive Runs Saved in 2013
    Kansas City Royals—93
    Arizona Diamondbacks—86
    Pittsburgh Pirates—68
    Milwaukee Brewers—58
    L.A. Dodgers—47
    12. Toronto Blue Jays—15

Source: Fangraphs

Pitching

It is safe to say the Jays need to improve the ERA for starters ranked 12th last year. It is safe to say, that RA and Buehrle each have to pitch 200 inning. The other 3 is such an unknown at this point. If the Jays can some how get 35 wins from these starters, the Jays will have a fighting chance. (Provided everyone else does what they are capable of doing.

Teams are going to break down, that is the nature of baseball. It is how teams deal with the adversity that will get them through. AA has not done a good job of that. The New York Mets top two prospects are for Jays, but eve Dicky wins 15 games and throws 200 it is a wash. (Gomes batted .294 with 11 homers and 38 RBIs in 88 games last season) Wasn't he a Jay? Wasn't AA watching JPA play last year?

Besides pitching and defense, (which is always how you win in baseball) Brett Lawrie needs to have a breakout year in all aspects of the game of the game and Melky Cabrera needs to show he can play without the juice. (I think the juice masked the pain and he will never be the same)

I think by Mothers Day, we will know what kind of team we have and make the adjustments we need to make the playoffs this year. If it doesn't look good, AA should see what kind of talent he has in the minors and let them learn on the job at the majors. Chances are we could get a boatload for EE and Joey Bats.

Predication

Jays finish 5th in the division and won't crack the top 10 in the American League.
  • moose wrote: »
    Orly?

RYAN GOINS STATS SUMMARYGet Ryan Goins gear at the Toronto Blue Jays shop >
    G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO
    MLB Totals 34 119 11 30 41 5 0 2 8 2 0 28 0 0 .252 .264 .345 .609 1.70

It's the same team as last year except JPA isn't going to catch, Izturis isn't going to play 2nd, Kawasaki isn't at short, Derosa isn't at third, Lawrie is ready to go, add Hutchison and Mcgowan to the starting rotation. win win win win win win win

Losing a guy to the dl who might pitch one inning every 4th game. Yep that's game over for sure.

I forgot to add: a melky that can run. win
  • I predict Jays win over 80 games.

Lind and Goins starting on the bench for game 1.
  • payperview wrote: »
    I predict Jays win over 80 games.

Lind and Goins starting on the bench for game 1.

you realize that the number you are setting is below .500 so if the win 81 games they reach your goal of going over but not getting anywhere near the playoffs.

Having said that: Vegas has Toronto Blue Jays - 79.5.
  • Reyes leaves game. Season over.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Reyes leaves game. Season over.

Sigh.
  • Kratz for MVP!
  • and we don't have to listen to Buck any more this game. :D
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    and we don't have to listen to Buck any more this game. :D

Hands down highlight of the game this far
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    and we don't have to listen to Buck any more this game. :D

Buck was very aggressive today, and the station had no answer for it.
  • Drew Hutchinson had a solid spring, lets hope the Jays can even the series tomorrow.
  • Kind of ironic that you would use that particular word. You probably won't believe me, but I said to a friend of mine that the Raptors and Leafs won't make the playoffs until both presidents were changed. And with the Raptors entering the playoffs this year and the Leafs last year, both predictions came true in the first two seasons of the new management. The Leafs would be there again except for the collapse of the last 8 games. The same is true with the Jays. Why would the Jays fire JP and hire the man he trained. While AA may have some of his own ideas, he largely learned about being a GM under JP. When he started out, it looked like AA had a vision for this team, but 5 years later, we are no better off in all reality with an expected position of 4th at best but realistically last.

In order for this team to make the playoffs everything has to go perfect. Brett Lawrie and José Bautista each have to play 300 games between them. Lawrie needs to increase his OPS, EE does what he did again, Lind needs to get better, Reyes needs to do what he is capable of doing and the overall defense needs to improve greatly. (Goins needs to be exceptional at 2nd and hit .200 at the very least).

Team Defensive Runs Saved in 2013
    Kansas City Royals—93
    Arizona Diamondbacks—86
    Pittsburgh Pirates—68
    Milwaukee Brewers—58
    L.A. Dodgers—47
    12. Toronto Blue Jays—15

Source: Fangraphs

Pitching

It is safe to say the Jays need to improve the ERA for starters ranked 12th last year. It is safe to say, that RA and Buehrle each have to pitch 200 inning. The other 3 is such an unknown at this point. If the Jays can some how get 35 wins from these starters, the Jays will have a fighting chance. (Provided everyone else does what they are capable of doing.

Teams are going to break down, that is the nature of baseball. It is how teams deal with the adversity that will get them through. AA has not done a good job of that. The New York Mets top two prospects are for Jays, but eve Dicky wins 15 games and throws 200 it is a wash. (Gomes batted .294 with 11 homers and 38 RBIs in 88 games last season) Wasn't he a Jay? Wasn't AA watching JPA play last year?

Besides pitching and defense, (which is always how you win in baseball) Brett Lawrie needs to have a breakout year in all aspects of the game of the game and Melky Cabrera needs to show he can play without the juice. (I think the juice masked the pain and he will never be the same)

I think by Mothers Day, we will know what kind of team we have and make the adjustments we need to make the playoffs this year. If it doesn't look good, AA should see what kind of talent he has in the minors and let them learn on the job at the majors. Chances are we could get a boatload for EE and Joey Bats.

Predication

Jays finish 5th in the division and won't crack the top 10 in the American League.
    You sure know your Baesball.
  • You sure know your Baesball.

In truth, it is the only thing I understand 100%.
    Drew Hutchinson had a solid spring, lets hope the Jays can even the series tomorrow.

He had a very good outing. As usual Santos managed to make an easy 9th into a nail biter.

Is it too early to plan the parade route. After all we are 1-1.
  • He struck out the side. I believe it was more the Rays did their best to make it tough.
    He had a very good outing. As usual Santos managed to make an easy 9th into a nail biter.

Is it too early to plan the parade route. After all we are 1-1.

You realize an average centre fielder makes that play in the 9th and Sergio isn't in that situation. ^-^

On the plus side Lind is picking up where he left off this spring and Hutch looked good. I do like him. Hope he is healthy.

Back to Sergio, if he keeps the ball where he did last night all season. He is going to put up phenomenal numbers!
  • He was playing too shallow, that's the outfield coaches' responsibility.
  • moose wrote: »
    He was playing too shallow, that's the outfield coaches' responsibility.

:bs::bs::bs:

You saw Gibbons waving his arm like a crazy man right ???

Also, from the time I started coaching over 30 years ago, the number one rule when you have a lead in the last inning of a game is:

NO DOUBLES DOWN THE LINES OR OVER YOUR HEAD!

As a Blue Jay and veteran centre fielder who has been paid over 10 million as a Blue Jay, he should know this and not have to be told!

This is the kind of defense that will cost the teams wins!
  • :bs::bs::bs:

As a Blue Jay and veteran centre fielder who has been paid over 10 million as a Blue Jay, he should know this and not have to be told!

True, but we all know that the guy in centre field is dumb as a post, has no baseball IQ, and rarely knows what's going on around him. Gibby could have been standing right next to him with a megaphone and he would have still been in the wrong position.

Now, whether its good business to pay a guy like that $10m is a much different question. But plays like that will surely cost the team wins.

FWIW, I predict the Jays win 81 games and still finish 5th.
  • Beuhrle looked amazing, he deserved the complete game.

Defense was best I have seen from the jays in a long time. (Excluding the line drive Lawrie missed).

Batista was in the zone. Lets hope this is a sign of things to come.

Was anyone surprised Santos couldn't get out the one batter he faced? I'm not a fan of him. Too bad when the jays tried to trade him twice neither one went through. Glad we had Cecil to come in and pick up the save, like a closer should.

Can Morrow win tomorrow and take 3 of 4, should be interesting.

• Also, from the time I started coaching over 30 years ago, the number one rule when you have a lead in the last inning of a game is:

Your strategy is wrong. It doesn't matter if somebody hits one down the line or over an outfielders head, unless he is the tying or winning run. Other then that, play where you have the best chance to make outs.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    Your strategy is wrong. It doesn't matter if somebody hits one down the line or over an outfielders head, unless he is the tying or winning run. Other then that, play where you have the best chance to make outs.

that is way the gibby and the bench coach were waving him back last night. also, it is easier to run in than run back.

• Also, from the time I started coaching over 30 years ago, the number one rule when you have a lead in the last inning of a game is:

Buzzzardd wrote: »

They way we used to play it you are both wrong......
  • compuease wrote: »
    They way we used to play it you are both wrong......

So exactly what did your coach Abner Doubleday teach you? ^-^
  • So exactly what did your coach Abner Doubleday teach you? ^-^

The right way...
  • Oh I love baseball talk.

Admittedly I was only able to listen to the game last night so when this discussion of "no doubles" defense popped up I had to go back to my trusty mlbtv.com and watch it myself. I had never heard of a manager putting on "no doubles" with a 3 run lead and one man on. Not that it has never happened as I don't understand the game 100%, but it would be very odd to say the least.

A few observations from what I saw...

- When Jennings came up the no doubles defense was definitely not on. The visual evidence of that was that Lawrie was playing in and off the bag at third and Encarnacion was back but well off the first base line. When playing no doubles defense the lines must be protected by the corner infielders. Positioning would be back and tight to the baselines.

- John Gibbons was not shown waving his hands to anyone to play back until after Jennings hit....exactly when he should have, when the tying run came to the plate. The whole reason for the defense is to keep the tying run from getting to scoring position (or subsequently the winning run).
  • PS. I am very sad to have to miss opening day with the usual CPF crew. Missing it because I have a practice Friday with the boys I'm coaching this year. One of the only things that could keep me away. I hope you all have a very enjoyable night and I hope to be back at next year's opener when they hang the World Series banner! ;)
  • He then proceed to do nothing except pick up an average at best catcher in Navarro. Which will end up being a wash for JPA.

Very sorry I missed this gem earlier.

PLEASE Brent, tell me you mean this in purely an offensive production sort of way (which I would still argue Navarro will be better). Otherwise you better recheck your baseball understanding percentage. Navarro in terms of defense and the ability to call a game and get the most out of their pitchers is infinitely better than JPA.

JPA will be the poster child for addition by subtraction with this team.