Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Comments

• I think the number is important. Just ask the sox and the Yankees. Current Jays don't wear a Fernandez or Carter jersey but they can wear their number. Besides the 12 has a circle around it AND there is a big number hanging from the rafters as well.
  • All Blue Jays Canada day tshirts and jerseys now 50% off at the dome.
  • Well another September for the Jays and another year of playing meaningless ball this month, as least as far as it concerns the Jays and their record. They will not make it over the 86 win total as predicated by yours truly, Prophet22. They are a miserable team with an incomprehensible management team running this organization. This team will not win with AA in charge and Gibons has worn out his welcome.

Some have already contacted and paid. I am asking the rest to PM Hobbes. As I said when I made the bet, he will pay out if I lose, wasn't going to happen, and collect if I win.

Prophet 22

PS. I am willing to set another number next year if you want to try and get your money back.

Paid

Johnnie
    Buzzzardd
    Moose will take of it when he sees Hobbes
  • I was at the bar last night to watch the UFC ppv with a group of friends. Could not believe that two barflys were insisting on keeping the TVs on the Jays game. The Sox had clinched, the Jays were done, what exactly was the significance involved in this game? GTFO . . .
  • Well another September for the Jays and another year of playing meaningless ball this month, as least as far as it concerns the Jays and their record. They will not make it over the 86 win total as predicated by yours truly, Prophet22. They are a miserable team with an incomprehensible management team running this organization. This team will not win with AA in charge and Gibons has worn out his welcome.

Some have already contacted and paid. I am asking the rest to PM Hobbes. As I said when I made the bet, he will pay out if I lose, wasn't going to happen, and collect if I win.

Prophet 22

PS. I am willing to set another number next year if you want to try and get your money back.

I think this is laying it on a bit thick, don't you?

Yes, they have been disappointing and underachieving, but let's not go over board. They are in the toughest division in the Majors after all.
  • No I don't to be honest. AA abandon his plan of stock piling and building from within, something his predecessor knows something about. Go down the list of needs for the up coming year here's mine:

Catcher
    2nd base
    two starting pitchers
    3rd base, lack of power, to many errors
    and a new training staff, cause our pitchers are always getting hurt
    manager

Overall team defense. The Jays were terrible this year.

We don't even have one guy hitting over 300.

You cry that we are in the hardest division, glad you brought that up:

17-17 vs the west
    16-15 vs the central

for a combine 33 wins!

I said in December, that it will take 91 wins to get in the playoffs and this team is far from it.

You can't change half your rooster in one year and expect to be great. They need to shed some payroll and let the kids develop at the MLB level.

Every team no matter the division is going to win 50 games and lose 50 games. The season comes down to the last 62 games. How you manage your injuries. Develop a winning attitude on the road while having a place to be feared when coming to Toronto.

I am willing to see the argument as to why Tampa and Baltimore are able to play in the East and Toronto isn't. Toronto is the only team in the east with a losing record.

And they need to get rid of the turf it cost us injuries.

Not venting at you Johnnie just sick of mediocre. I deal with incompetence bosses above me at work. I shouldn't have to deal with it in my leisure sport time as well.

The Toronto Blue Jays have no heart.
  • Milo wrote: »
    I was at the bar last night to watch the UFC ppv with a group of friends. Could not believe that two barflys were insisting on keeping the TVs on the Jays game. The Sox had clinched, the Jays were done, what exactly was the significance involved in this game? GTFO . . .

It is the sport, baseball is a great game!
  • Milo wrote: »
    I was at the bar last night to watch the UFC ppv with a group of friends. Could not believe that two barflys were insisting on keeping the TVs on the Jays game. The Sox had clinched, the Jays were done, what exactly was the significance involved in this game? GTFO . . .

Maybe because UFC was the other choice.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    Everyone has there own opinion.

I would rather watch UFC, its way more exciting. I still love the Jays though.
  • It is the sport, baseball is a great game!

Yes . . . yes it is. Particularly when the games MEAN something.
    Buzzzardd wrote: »

There is a significant fan base for MMA in general, and the UFC in particular. The bar was very crowded with people who wanted to watch the fights. At the time of my questioning the logic, the ratio was about 4-5:1. It is more about serving your customers, imo.
    Everyone has there own opinion.

I would rather watch UFC, its way more exciting. I still love the Jays though.

I like baseball just fine, but I am not interested in meaningless games. I do not watch pre-season ANYTHING, and that is basically what these "playing out the string" contests are . . .
  • I really hope the jays make the post season again within the next 5 years. It's too bad they're in that stacked division.
    I haven't watched that much at all. What do they need to do to win?
  • I really hope the jays make the post season again within the next 5 years. It's too bad they're in that stacked division.
    I haven't watched that much at all. What do they need to do to win?

Which division do you want to play in?

17-17 vs the west
    16-15 vs the central

for a combine 33 wins!
  • I'm not crying about anything. I won't post in YOUR Blue Jays thread anymore.
    Whatever it is that I did to you to make you dislike me, I'm sorry.
  • I'm not crying about anything. I won't post in YOUR Blue Jays thread anymore.
    Whatever it is that I did to you to make you dislike me, I'm sorry.

Really???
  • Which division do you want to play in?

17-17 vs the west
    16-15 vs the central

for a combine 33 wins!

I totally don't understand your point at all. Over .500 against the other divisions, so obviously under .500 against the east. I believe that is what everyone is saying. Would be nice if the schedule was balanced, no?

Also, I'm in favour of grass but where is the documented evidence that turf causes injuries? I guess the pitchers must roll around on the astroturf and rub their arms all over it?
  • Which division do you want to play in?

17-17 vs the west
    16-15 vs the central

for a combine 33 wins!

Your point? Take out AL East and they are 44-41
  • moose wrote: »
    I totally don't understand your point at all. Over .500 against the other divisions, so obviously under .500 against the east. I believe that is what everyone is saying. Would be nice if the schedule was balanced, no?

Also, I'm in favour of grass but where is the documented evidence that turf causes injuries? I guess the pitchers must roll around on the astroturf and rub their arms all over it?

I don't have the documentation. Players complain it is hard on the joints. I have only played a little ball myself on it myself and there is a difference. I don't have the longevity to say how hard it is but, MLB players say it is so.

People have been saying for years the Jays are in the toughest division in baseball. But my question is how does the 4th or 5th largest market say it is unable to compete.

Nobody was complaining when we went back to back that the east was to hard or money was a problem - we set the standard for the highest payroll in baseball and bought the best free agents to fill gaps in our club. But something happened with the winning attitude of Toronto with the strike of 94. How is it Tampa can compete and the city of Toronto can't?

People assume being in the central or west would be easier they currently have a record of .500 combined. so how would that mean life would be easier. To me it means they would be playing .500 ball in their own division and still below .500 against the AL East.

The only way the Jays get to the playoffs is changing the talent on this team. We have to many holes to fill. I don't see changing divisions as a way to the playoffs. The jays defense has to improve and starting pitching has to improve.
  • There is plenty of evidence that playing on grass is better than turf for the athletes. Nephew played soccer at UB and the team refused to play in the football stadium specifically because it was a turf field.
  • Reports yesterday that the Argos will only remain at Rogers Centre until 2017 at the latest. Once they are gone, the turf will be replaced with grass.
  • Good News or Bad News for Jays Fans

The Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies could be talking a blockbuster involving Jose Bautista.

According to Howard Eskin of FOX Philadelphia and WIP Radio, the two teams are in serious talks on a deal that would see the four-time All Star and two-time home run champion return to the Senior Circuit and the Phillies. It is believed that outfielder Domonic Brown and more would head back to the Blue Jays.
  • I hope we make the trade. I believe Bautista has had his best days.
  • Hobbes wrote: »

Wouldn't it be classy if he actually threw the first live pitch to a batter at the home opener, then retires?
  • Ok, pitches a complete game no hitter then.?
  • So this has been a lack luster off season for the Jays. Spring training has started and Gibbons has announced R.A. Dicky as the opening day starter. (I guess he thought last year's opener went so well he'd try it again.)

I don't see the Jays winning the division and to get into the wild card game, it is going to take 90-92 games.

Questions that need answers.

1. Will Brandon Morrow get to 200 innings?
    2. Will we have an eight inning pitcher to set up Janson?
    3. Can we get 320 games out of Brett Lawrie and Jose Bautista?
    4. Can our defense be a top 3 in the AL?
    5. What can be expected from Drew Hutchison and Kyle Drabek? This is Drabek 2nd Tommy John surgery.
    6. If the goal is to make the playoffs, does that mean that Anthony Gose is NOT THE 4TH OUTFIELDER. And he spends the entire year in AAA?
    7. AA and Gibbons will not be part of the next Blue Jay team to make the playoffs?
    8. Good news is, the Rogers Center is committed to having natural grass at the Skydome in time for the 2017.

Prophet22
  • 1. yes
    2. yes
    3. doubtful
    4. no
    5. 10 wins
    6. I don't think Gose breaks camp with the ML team
    7. Do you mean this team or the next team
    8. They are committed to investigating it.
  • And so it begins. Jays announce that Casey Janssen will start the year on the DL.

Anthopoulos has indicated that Sergio Santos will close in the interim. He ,AA, came out at the end of the season basically saying the starting rotation was a disaster and that he would pick up a couple of quality arms. Who did he add? He then proceed to do nothing except pick up an average at best catcher in Navarro. Which will end up being a wash for JPA. Add to that Goins who has never played in the majors and who will hit under .200 this team is a write off. This I can live with if his defense stays at par with Damaso Garcia or O Dog.

Going to be a long year. Jays won't win 87 and won't make playoffs until AA and Gibby are gone and this team build some depth.
  • Orly?

RYAN GOINS STATS SUMMARYGet Ryan Goins gear at the Toronto Blue Jays shop >
    G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO
    MLB Totals 34 119 11 30 41 5 0 2 8 2 0 28 0 0 .252 .264 .345 .609 1.70

It's the same team as last year except JPA isn't going to catch, Izturis isn't going to play 2nd, Kawasaki isn't at short, Derosa isn't at third, Lawrie is ready to go, add Hutchison and Mcgowan to the starting rotation. win win win win win win win

Losing a guy to the dl who might pitch one inning every 4th game. Yep that's game over for sure.
  • moose wrote: »
    6. I don't think Gose breaks camp with the ML team

Ding ding ding