Labatt Blue free WPT entry

Comments

• well...it is the labatt blue poker thingy...

well i remember there was a redbull promo here at a club an u still got a free redbull, i think there is something in the law that states u can't exclude people or somethin like that. If I had to buy labatt im going to have to write an essay or somethin for the no purchase.
  • i think, at least for the win a trip/table instant win part, they can send you a scratch card (not nearly as cool as a chip)
  • Hey guys... I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it is a monster thread, so I can't fault you for missing it.  ;)

Scotty is correct, you don't have to buy a Labatt Blue to get into the contest.  I believe if you simply ask the staff for a Labatt Blue Poker chip at a participating bar, they will give you one.
  • Hi, ya I was so exicted to hear about Labatt's holding tournaments all over Ontario for the chance to enter the WPT. Only thing is, I'm from Windsor. I went to a local Pub called Charlie's Friday night. The owner didn't know much about what's going on and said just to read the paper on the wall. It looked so good until I read that u have to buy a Labatt Blue in order to get a chip to enter the draw. And the more you buy, the more chips you get to enter the draw to play the tournament. $4.75 for a beer that I don't even like. I am no longer excited about this. Anyone else with me? I thought we just show up and play for prizes..nope..u must PURCHASE a Labatt's Blue for 4.75. Is this going to happen at every bar they hold this in? .. seems wrong to me.
  • It looked so good until I read that u have to buy a Labatt Blue in order to get a chip to enter the draw.

No you don't. There is a "no purchase required" method of entry. See Reply #148 in this thread, or the Labatt website for details.
    .. seems wrong to me [to require a purchase].

It is. And illegal too.

However, I wouldn't recommend storming into your local pub with a foaming mouth and/or an angry team of lawyers. Make sure you actually attempt to follow the correct "no purchase entry" procedure before foaming up and hiring your solicitors.
    Anyone else with me?

I guess I'm with you on the not liking Labatt Blue part. ;)

ScottyZ
  • See Reply #148 in this thread

ROFL.  Sorry, that just sounds funny.
  • no purchase procedures..ya the paper didn't have anything on procedures..it just said "MUST purchase a labatt's blue for 4.75" .. maybe they made there own print out and changed some things and did some editing on their own.
  • Hi Guu,

All of the answers to your questions can be found at www.labattblue.ca

For example, that's where I found this: "For no purchase requests, please submit an original, hand written, unduplicated 50-word essay on why you enjoy poker to a server at the participating location. While supplies last."

Again, www.labattblue.ca should provide you with all of the info you're looking for, and failing that, there is a 'contact us' link on the site as well.
  • I like the several london locations :)

One of which I frequent regularily and have several good friends who bounce there, hopefully I can rig my way into the tourney haha!
  • Man some bars are taken advantage of this poker chip contest. lastinte I go to a bar which is holding an event so I order myself a labatte blue even tho I am a Bud drinkin an i ask the bartender for my poker chip, Then he says to me ' you must be thinkin about tommorow becuz we only give them out on friday so come back tommorow". Like wtf is that all about, order a shitty beer just to get a chip an i don't even get 1, isn't like against the rules or somethin? Labatt has a great promo going on but the way its lookin im only gonna have about 4-5 chips, blah who knows Im just venting I guess, anyone else have this happen to them?
  • Man some bars are taken advantage of this poker chip contest.

Ya, I know what you mean. I think the better question to ask is how well run (ie. not rigged) is it going to be to get a seat, and how well run (and how consistant from bar to bar) is the tourney itself going to be. No offense AA, but I have worries of how well a bar will be able to administer a poker tourney, they're there to make money by selling booze, not catering to poker players to run a good poker tournament... Just think it might be a little out of their element... But hey, what can you really ask for in a freeroll I guess eh? :)
  • No offense AA, but I have worries of how well a bar will be able to administer a poker tourney,

Not to worry, none taken.  This is a public forum, that exists specifically to allow people to express different points of view freely.

(As long as it's not spam.)

My role as spokesperson for this promotion is more or less about making people aware that it's happening.  Beyond that, I have no influence in the details, so by all means, state your opinions.

Personally speaking, my objective feelings on the matter are that if people don't like the promotion, nobody is forcing them to participate.  This is, after all, something for (more or less) nothing, so you can't really argue with the entry fee.  Going beyond price though, if the logistics don't appeal to you, you shouldn't feel obligated to participate. 

As you mentioned Scooby, at the end of the day, it is more or less a freeroll.  I hope, for everyone's sake, that the tournaments have good blind structures, etc... but again, all of this stuff is beyond my realm of influence.
  • Anyone been collecting chips for May 11 @ McMullen's in Waterloo yet ???? :D
  • i've been hittin the bars in burlington...as much as i can...a hard job really ;-)
    i don't really care about the tourneys (can't play in all of them)
    what i do want is a decent # of the chips.

if anyone has, or can get, a good size collection, i'd like to talk prices.
    pm me if u do.

thanks
  • Up to about 20 chips.
    Do not know how many it will take to enter tourney.
    Maybe some left after May 11
    Stay tuned.
  • Its all crap!!! Two days before the event at Cranky Joes in Sudbury, the bar had no chips. I was told to come on the night and Labaatt would have lots of chips to give away. That night about two hours before the contest I went to Cranky joes and was told" go to the bar and BUy a beer to get a chip"... Guess what no chips. Only staff and friends of the owner got chips. More than 15 people had over 30+ chips to enter. Over 64 seat for the event and only 50 people or so were there. About 50 out of town people show up hoping to get one chip for a chance. Were they upset to see people with over 30 chips. Labatt should of never let the owner give the chips away. More storys to come, just from Sudbury alone.
  • ...maybe we should get a new thread started for "after event posts"...
  • Anyone have any inside info on whether the event at McMullen's in Waterloo is going to be rescheduled (due to the blackout last night)?
  • Why was my post in this thread from my report of last weekend,s Labbatts promo at The Fan,s sports cafe removed????Was it because it was a negative comment?? Whats up with that? :bs:
  • Yayiwin wrote:
    Why was my post in this thread from my report of last weekend,s Labbatts promo at The Fan,s sports cafe removed????Was it because it was a negative comment?? Whats up with that? :bs:

Are you confusing this thread with another?

http://www.pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=4230

One way to find all the posts you have made is to go your Profile and click "Show Posts".

ScottyZ
  • Are you confusing this thread with another?

I'm thinking yes.
  • Does anyone know in average how many people show up to these tournaments? and how many chips will give you a reasonble shot at getting picked?
    Also, are the results posted anywhere?

Thanks.
  • Doh.. :fish: My Bad.
  • OK Guys...Here's the scoop on the Blue Poker Chip Tourney. How it works is, you collect chips by buying a Blue Product at the bar or the beer store. So you collect these chips and bring them with you to whichever venue you want to play at.

The tourney is a two round 32 Player tourney. The chips are your raffle chips to get into the tourney. So just say you have 50 chips, then you will have 50 entries into the raffle. If you are selected, you sit at one of four 8 seated tables. Now here comes the unbelievably stupid part of this tourney. The point of the tourney is to be chip leader at your table. The chip leaders from each table within the two rounds, comprises the final table of 8. In the two preliminary heats, you sit with 1700 chips with blinds at 10-20, doubling every 15 minutes. You have one hour, yes you read right, ONE HOUR, to accumulate as many chips as possible from your table. I was lucky enough to be drawn into the tourney. You have to play a really aggressive game. The dealers are very poor and deal around one hand every 5-7 minutes. I found myself looking at an even stack with 10 minutes left and only three players left on my table. Needless to say, the chip leader at my table was getting extremely lucky and had about 5X my stack. The third player was at about 3500. At this point, the only way I was gonna win was to push in on every hand following and hope for the best.

After the hour, the four chip leaders from each table move on to the final table. Each player starts with 3000 chips and blinds start at 100-200. Blinds double every 15 minutes and cap at 3200-6400. The winner of the final table moves on to the actual tourney hosted in Toronto.

The tourney is a little bit of a crap shoot, but if you can make it past the preliminary rounds, you have a good chance of winning. The players that showed up were piss poor and hammered. You need to get really lucky. I saw a hand where there were four people all in preflop. Hands ranging from T4, JJ, Ax, etc. Absolutely horrible play. Oh and also, the rule for raising is double the previous bet. I don't know why. I tried to explain to the TD but they don't listen. And instead of having a dead puck when a player gets knocked out, they just move it over, skipping a big and small blind for two players.

All in all, it was a horrible experience. There were guys coming in with over 100 chips. I'm surprised I was drawn. The tournament was very poorly run. Good luck to everyone who plays. I will not be attending any more of the tourneys.
  • You have one hour, yes you read right, ONE HOUR, to accumulate as many chips as possible from your table.

ROFLMAO. Since I had nothing to do with the logistics of the tournaments, I was a little worried they would be like this. I'm sorry to hear that's the case.
  • Allright so as Astorboy has said, it was quite a crapshoot. I was able to get in in the 2nd round with only 8 chips. They play 2 rounds of 32 players with 1700 chips, 15 min. blinds starting at 10/20, 20/40, 50/100, 100/200. By the end it is really a bingo game, I was able to accumulate some chips in the middle rounds by limping with my ONLY playable hand queens and double up. I ended up heads up with 2 minutes left and had a very comparable stack to my opponent. I folded my sb with rags. Then he called my BB, I thought I had him covered and when he bet out the flop I folded, nothing hit but I was K high. "no balls McMahon" they should call me. He outchipped me 7400 to 6200 to win.

One thing I didnt like was that the people that had entered and got chosen for the first rounds could play in the second round also if they were chosen. So, if you show up with 200 chips you can pretty much guarantee yourself two rounds of poker. All in all, I had a great time but would have loved to make the final table as the players were some of the worst that I had ever seen, of course the set up kinda makes you play that way.

stp
  • One more thing that was totally cool. Tonnes of people watching, two players heads up on the last hand of the first round. Flop comes down 665, party poker hat-wearing dude checks, other guy goes all-in. Party Poker calls, stands and says "I've got tight!!!". Other guy shakes his hand and flips overs A3, Party Poker shows 55. Turn A. River A. Sonds a lot like party poker doesn't it? Crowd went wild!

stp
  • stpboy wrote:
    One thing I didnt like was that the people that had entered and got chosen for the first rounds could play in the second round also if they were chosen.  So, if you show up with 200 chips you can pretty much guarantee yourself two rounds of poker.  All in all, I had a great time but would have loved to make the final table as the players were some of the worst that I had ever seen, of course the set up kinda makes you play that way. 
    stp

Yeah, this is something that irked me too. It would have been better to get more people playing, fill the 2nd round with people who didn't play in the first round. I attended the first of four events in London, and about 50 people showed up. Had 4 chips, which was average as people didn't really know how things were going to work, and hadn't stocked up piles of chips yet.

I missed out on both round, and ballpark 75-80% of the people got to play twice. I was game to attend another event or two, but this left a bad taste in my mouth and didn't care anymore. Yeah, the format was a bit of a crapshoot, but you play the game you're dealt.

A buddy of mine in the first game got dealt JJ late in the hour, and 2 people went all in in front of him. Since he had better play too, or else the chip leader would have been uncatchable, he went all in as well, and then one more player behind him went all in too. Various Aces and crap pulled out. He hits the J on the flop, bingo, but proceeds to lose the big pot when someone hit runner runner to make a straight.

Excitement at its best, but the skill factor isn't so much there. Another friend who played the first game was in a 3 way battle, and was the slight chip leader. 5 mins to go, he get a crap hand, and the guy in front of him goes all in, he folds the crap, and the guy behind him calls. Its game over, cause one of the all in doubles, and it takes forever for the dealer to count the chips to compare stacks.

Exciting and a good idea, just some refinement needed. And I didn't go back to any of the remaining 3 events. Might not drink Blue ever again... though it is poor beer, so I may have other reasons for that....
  • The blind structure for the final, 88-player event was as follows.  A friend of mine attended and brought me the structure sheet:

2000 chips to start, 1/2 hour levels.  8-handed tables.  Play down to 24 players with the following structure:

1) 50/100 a50
    2) 100/200 a50
    3) 200/400 a100
    4) 500/1000 a200
    5) 1000/2000 a500
    6) 2000/4000 a500
    7) 4000/8000 a1000

They were down to 24 players by this point.  In fact, I think they were down to 24 by level 6.  At any rate, the 24 players were placed at 4 tables, and play continued using this structure, but 20-minute levels now.  This would take them to the final 8 (they probably got down to 8 by the 4th or 5th of these levels, but I'm not sure).

1,000/2,000
    2,000/4,000 a1,000
    5,000/10,000 a2,000
    10,000/20,000 a5,000
    20,000/40,000 a10,000
    50,000/100,000 a 20,000

Once down to 8, play resumed, starting here, and at 20-minute levels:

50,000/100,000 a20,000
    100,000/200,000 a50,000
    250,000/500,000 a100,000
    500,000/1,000,000 a250,000

When the final 24 players took their seats, they were introduced as "the 24 best poker players in Canada".

Instead of 'shuffle up and deal', every time a new stage would begin, everyone was encouraged to raise their beer and say in unison: "Cheers to friends".

• Cheers to those 24 best craps..I mean poker players.   ;)