Labatt Blue free WPT entry

Comments

• ...I got to yell "THE ISLAND OF CRETE!" at the start of it.

Isn't that a WPT reference?

ScottyZ
  • It is, yes. I forget which tournament it was, but one of the most annoying players in the history of poker would yell that out when he wasn't trying to talk his opponents into tilting. Dean Blundell made a reference to this guy, and we both started yelling 'The island of Crete'. One of the more bizarre moments of my life.
  • I'll be on Breakfast Television tomorrow (March 11) between 7:00 and 8:40 in the morning. That's pretty damn early. I wish I could be more specific than that, but I won't know exactly when until I get there.
  • all_aces wrote:
    It is, yes. I forget which tournament it was, but one of the most annoying players in the history of poker would yell that out when he wasn't trying to talk his opponents into tilting.
    Aviation Club de France :)

George “the Greek” Paravoliasakis hollers " The island of Crete " :D

" The island of Crete ":eek: :eek: :eek:

• Got my PVR set and I'm looking forward to BT. (Yes, we luckily get CityTV here in the capital.)

Break a leg! But not literally.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Break a leg! But not literally.

ScottyZ

well at least not unless it's a +EV move
  • Phippo44 wrote:
    Aces - these games in the bars are NLH, correct? Just wondering b/c in the gloassary on the site, they mention steamrolling and reraising so someone has to call 2 bets. LHE ??
    Well I'll be darned. I mentioned to them that 'steamrolling' is really more of a limit term, and they removed it from their glossary. Thanks for the heads-up Phippo44.
  • I thought steamrolling was what Bob & Doug McKenzie were doing to each other in a hilarious "Stange Brew" scene.

It's a poker term? Never heard it used in poker myself.

ScottyZ
  • The definition of 'steamrolling' in the Labatt Blue website was something like: 'raising and re-raising to three bets to drive a middle player out of the pot'. Or something like that. I think it was the 'three bets' reference that made it sound like a 'limit' sort of thing. Don't worry, I've never heard it used either...
  • Saw the City TV appearance. It couldn't have been more perfect, with all_aces showing the hosts a bad beat first hand when he his A8 made two pair, outdrawing AK0 and QQ.
  • LOL. Gee... do you think I set the deck? :) For the sake of diplomacy on a pulic forum, I will say that I did the best I could throughout that interview, struggling to make my points as best as I could under the circumstances. If you noticed that the Blue promotion was never brought up, well, I was told not to bring it up, and that it would be taken care of. :eek:
  • I watch BT before heading out to work usually, so I'm used to the guests they have that they don't alot enough time for. It's too bad it was so rushed that you didn't really get into anything about the promotion, but you did speak and present yourself well.
  • Iron wrote:
    ...his A8 made two pair, outdrawing AK0 and QQ.
    all_aces wrote:
    Gee... do you think I set the deck?

Did you actually cold deck the hosts?!!?

Either way, that's pretty hilarious.

ScottyZ
  • Yes I did lol. I figured we'd kill two birds with one stone... instead of showing how the game is dealt, and then showing good starting cards, it's best to do both at once. So, I set the deck with starting cards and showed how it's dealt at the same time.

Seat 1: KJo
    Seat 2: AKo
    Seat 3: QQ
    Seat 4: (me) As8s

Flop: 8xx with 2 hearts.
    Turn: x hearts
    River: ace of clubs

So, my two pair (aces and eights, a story I went on to tell... dead man's hand etc...) beat the queens, and thwarted AK's turned flush draw.

I didn't really manage to talk about which starting hand was strongest, why, which should be raising, which are strong enough to call raises with or even re-raise... etc. I was told to keep it VERY simple, so that's what I did.

And, I set the deck so I'd win at the end. I'll take any edge I can get, I guess, even in example hands. :smile:
  • Monday March 14th I am doing a print interview for the transit magazine '24' (Toronto area). Not to be confused with the TV show, which by the way is kicking ass lately due in no small part to the return of Tony Almeda. And, his HOT ex-wife Michelle.

Anywho, the article will appear sometime later in the week, I'll post more details when I have more.

Tuesday March 15th I am going to be on Y108 FM (Hamilton/Toronto area) at 8:00 am or shortly after.

Later on in the day I shoot an interview with 'eTalk Daily' that will air later in the week--again, more details when I have them. And Tuesday night I fly to Ottawa.

Wednesday March 16th I am going to be on CHRO-TV (Ottawa area) at around 7:20 am.
  • In addition to the things mentioned in the above post, I will be on the Fan 590 (AM 590) tomorrow morning (March 15) at around 9:00. (Toronto area). I'm still not sure when the '24' story will be printed.
  • Today was a fun day... I did four interviews this morning. The first one was Y108 at 8:00. The interesting thing about that one was that I didn't know I was on the air for the first bit. Usually when I call in, the host will ask me a couple of 'warm-up' questions before actually putting me on the air. So, when I called and he started asking me questions I didn't think we were 'on', and my energy was low, to say the least. I listened to it back and killed myself laughing, because I can precisely identify the point at which I thought "Wait. He's asking me a LOT of warm-up questions."

Then I did the Fan590 (AM in Toronto) at 9:00. To my surprise, it lasted 45 minutes or so. We took live questions from callers, and I answered them as best I could.

Then I shot the interview for eTalk Daily. It will broadcast tomorrow night on CTV (National.) Tomorrow being Wednesday March 16th. I believe it airs at 7:00 - 7:30 EST, and then repeats past midnight that night. Not sure exactly when my segment will appear in the show.

And finally, I did a very last-minute phone interview with an AM station in K/W. We were scheduled to start at 12:30, but I was in a cab at 12:30. So, I did the first half of the interview from a cell phone in a cab. Then, when they went to commercial, I ran into the office building I've been working out of, zipped up in the elevator, and found a land line to finish the interview from. All in all, a busy day. I'm off to Ottawa tonight, and will be on 'The New RO' tomorrow morning at around 7:20. Scotty, I look forward to meeting you for a coffee.
  • Great segment on the New RO today Devin, and it was cool to get a chance to meet with you afterwards for some coffee & breakfast.

I nearly busted a gut at your "Amazingly, I have the best hand" line, after you cold decked the host (and two camera operators).

ScottyZ
  • Thanks Scott! Nice chatting with you. I think I have a future in cold-decking people at poker. Of course, I have to be in a completely separate room to set the deck, and then hope they don't notice when I don't shuffle...

On another note, I'm curious to see how tonight on eTalk Daily will turn out. This is the first thing I've done that's been edited, so I could be portrayed in any number of ways. Hopefully, because I work on the show, they will be kind.
  • all_aces wrote:
    On another note, I'm curious to see how tonight on eTalk Daily will turn out. This is the first thing I've done that's been edited, so I could be portrayed in any number of ways. Hopefully, because I work on the show, they will be kind.

Let's go to our hidden cameras back stage and see how Devin prepares for every big poker game. Shot of Devin fixing the deck, and laughing maniacly whiling saying "I never lose, hehe I never lose"
  • I tried it at Port Perry, but for some reason the dealer wouldn't let me touch the deck, let alone walk away from the table with it.
  • Really you mean you didn't cold deck yourself into flopping two pair, and losing to the gutshot, just for the story
  • You're a sick, sick man Chugs... poking at a fresh wound like that... :wink:
  • Well at least unlike me, you know going all-in from EP with K6 is not the best move. Even worse having played so much online, i considered it a bad beat when i DIDN'T suck out with the flush draw I picked up on the flop, against the guy with pocket aces.

1. Pocket aces hold up
    2. This lunatic goes all-in with K6 and cracks aces with a flush on the river.

You tell me which one makes the better story.
  • I'll be on Hamilton's 'CHCH' TV tomorrow (Thurs. March 17) at 8:10 am. I believe that is channel 11 in the Toronto area.
  • Aces -just saw this post so my reply may be a little late.

If you're on CH Morning Live say hello to host Annette Hamm for me. We went to highschool together and my wife was the maid-of-honour for her wedding -she is divorced now(Annette, not my wife!) :wink:

Annette is really good people - the other morning host is a bit different. Anyway, you'll do fine i'm sure - good luck.

Hey, aren't all the streets in Hamilton one ways? Don't miss your street or its a ride around the city! :eek:

Keven Trembley
  • Hi Keven,

Sorry I just got this message now, and I'm back in Toronto having completed the CH interview. That's pretty cool that you're friends with Annette!

Fortunately I was raised in Grimsby, so I'm pretty familiar with Hamilton and all of the confusing one-way streets. :)
  • all_aces wrote:
    Then I shot the interview for eTalk Daily. It will broadcast tomorrow night on CTV (National.) Tomorrow being Wednesday March 16th. I believe it airs at 7:00 - 7:30 EST, and then repeats past midnight that night. Not sure exactly when my segment will appear in the show.

I missed this. :frown: Be sure to bring a copy to the next(if/when) home game we hook up at, so I can watch it. :smile:
  • Aces -

Watched the broadcast - good job.

They tried to show your hole cards (before you had everyone lay them face up) but I just caught a glimpse of one painted card - hey, maybe you could give the cameraman some pointers, too! :tongue:

You really do stack the deck! QQ AK A7 JQ in a four handed game! :eek:
    :D (note to self: never play in game AA is dealing) :D

Keep up the good work.
  • Thanks KRT. This was the third broadcast I've done so far where I've set the deck in order to make for some fairly interesting conversation. You got the hands mostly right: QQ, AK, A6, QJ. Final board: AQ433 I think.

It was my little secret: I always dealt myself the best hand. And then I'd laugh about it. Those Labatt Blue people don't miss much though... you may have noticed that today, I was the one holding QJ. :frown: