Ryder Cup of Poker

Comments

• Think about it though, it's Karma. ToronTo, Team, Ten, TournamenT.

I also agree with you on the organized competitive games in the GTA. I can only guarantee that we will talk about it at the Captains meeting. If the venue can hold it and we can have another team involved It will be Toronto 2. But I need to hear from compueuse on the Milton venue and what it can fit, availability and all that jazz. Fair enough??
  • An idea for the next years event might be to have 3 or 4 teams from each district play off for the chance to go to the meet. If the buy in was $40 and fouyr teams played, then the buy in to the big event could be $160/person ($960/team) and there by increasing the prize pool. Each of the winning teams's members then throw in an extra $10 and you have a $1,000 per team buy in for the same price. mulitply that by ten teams, and the event now needs security.
  • Add Kansas City Low-Ball!!!
  • What I was going to say was,
    Add Kansas City Low-Ball

Tye
  • i think ten teams makes sense, 2 from the GTA
  • pokerdro, i pmed you this info but here it is again:
    waterloo 1 captain = zithal
    waterloo 2 captain = pinhead
  • Does everyone support Pinhead and Zithal for the Waterloo Captains?
  • My dog's name is Ryder.
  • stpboy wrote:
    My dog's name is Ryder.

I don't care.
  • I want in on the Milton/Oakville team :D
  • stpboy wrote:
    My dog's name is Ryder. 
    And do you?
  • I believe this is the final list for the 9 team captains. All correspondance on this Event will come down through your team Captains.

Kichener I Stp
    Kitchener II Prophet22
    Cambridge Lamb of John
    Guelph Pokerdro
    Milton Compuease
    Toronto MDSGuy
    London Withcdoctor
    Waterloo I Zithal
    Waterloo II Pinhead
  • i recomend the olsen twins for guelph's team mascot!
  • Who is the cheif organizer of this tourny, First off would love to say what a great idea and so far seems to be coming along great. I have a few key questions and interest if Toronto gets the 10th team spot, could the organizer please email me @ airportpoker@gmail.com

Thanks,

The Airport Club
  • Pokerdro would be the cheif organizer I believe, he seems to be doing most of the work here along with Compuease.

Anyway, I have an idea for how to run the event. Let me know what you think, sorry if some of this has been covered.

Ten teams:

Waterloo1
    Waterloo2
    Cambridge
    Guelph
    Kitchener1
    Kitchener2
    Milton/Oakville
    Toronto1
    Toronto2
    London

6 players per team

Games played: Omaha, Stud, LHE, NLHE and Heads up.

Run three simultaneous single table tournaments where each tournament has one representative from each team. Each player has to play in either one Hold em' event and one either stud or Omaha event. All players play in the heads up finale. This way each player would be guaranteed 3 games (eg. Omaha, NLHE and HU). This could work out because you would have 30 other players watching/helping with chip ups dealing or whatever. Of course, most of the others I would assume would be having a few beers and cheering on their teamates.

Let me know what you think. We still need to work out the blinds and the points placings.

stp
  • Ok I just got this PM from Beanie42, hope you don't mind me posting it. I think it's a good idea.

Also, I think the NLHE should include everyone if that's possible (since everyone plays it). My thought, if doable, was 3 games each. A larger NLHE MTT everyone plays, the HU, and then each team member plays in 2 of the other 4 events, meaning 3 members per game. Assuming players A-F, an example would be:

NLHE A,B,C,D,E,F
    Stud A,B,C
    Omaha D,E,F
    LHE A,B,D
    Draw C,E,F

For a specific game, say Stud, you would have 3 tables of 9 or 10 (depending on # of teams), and if we have 6 tables, you could run 2 events in parallel. Although depending on which game each teams players choose, the 2 events could conflict. It would probably make more sense to have "offset" matches which the teams could sign up for, so run 2 Stud, 2 Omaha, 1 Limit, and 1 draw in parallel. Next round run 1/1/2/2, and the teams can assign players to non-conflicting events. I can help with planning the day's schedule if you need it (once you determine #/type of games).

I also agree we should set a firm date as soon as possible.

Trevor
  • stpboy wrote:
    We still need to work out the blinds and the points placings.
    One word, let's say it all together:
    ZITHAL!!!
  • I think one point needs to be made here.....everyone remembers an event that was attempted last year that ran into trouble, IMHO because of the wording. This event needs to be 100% rake free with 100% of the money going into the prize pool. Nothing can be kept aside for incidentals, snacks, toilet paper, whatever...this can be considered a rake. That said I am sure everyone would 'donate' some of their own money to cover the costs of any 'incidentals'?
  • Good point, well taken. Live and learn they say.

stp
  • Big E wrote:
    This event needs to be 100% rake free with 100% of the money going into the prize pool.
    Totally agree.
  • Sounds good to me. We will ensure the total buyin amount is in the prize pool.
  • "For a specific game, say Stud, you would have 3 tables of 9 or 10"

Keeping in mind that it is impossible to play stud 9 handed, and adjust accordingly.
  • Any new updates on when the captains are meeting to hammer out the finer details yet?
  • beanie42 wrote:
    Big E wrote:
    This event needs to be 100% rake free with 100% of the money going into the prize pool.
    Totally agree.

I also agree. I don't think we need a tophies or any rings or anything.

Just bragging rights and the cash. :D

Go Team Waterloo!!

JohnnieH
  • Plus this tournament is just a bunch of friends getting together to play a few cards. It's also by invitation only, and only open to forum members. That's gotta count for something?
  • MDSGuy wrote:
    Plus this tournament is just a bunch of friends getting together to play a few cards. It's also by invitation only, and only open to forum members. That's gotta count for something?

Friends, there's friends here?
  • Wow this looks like an idea gone wild, Haven't been on the forum for a couple of days, has anyone bought the film rights yet?
    Count me in, call if you need help Jeff
  • Hello everyone.....I have some exciting news I wanted to share with everyone. I have been in contact with a new poker magazine "Top Pair" and have convinced them to sponsor the event with magazines for everyone, plus lots of goodies for door prizes etc... But even better is they are going to let me put together an article on the event which they will put in an upcoming issue of their magazine. So we will have pics and an article in the magazine!!!! Pretty Cool Eh ?
  • Hello everyone.....I have some exciting news I wanted to share with everyone.  I have been in contact with a new poker magazine "Top Pair" and have convinced them to sponsor the event with magazines for everyone, plus lots of goodies for door prizes etc...  But even better is they are going to let me put together an article on the event which they will put in an upcoming issue of their magazine.  So we will have pics and an article in the magazine!!!!  Pretty Cool Eh ?
    Wow - great news. Bragging rights now become publicized :) - Thanks Dave!
  • Hello everyone.....I have some exciting news I wanted to share with everyone. I have been in contact with a new poker magazine "Top Pair" and have convinced them to sponsor the event with magazines for everyone, plus lots of goodies for door prizes etc... But even better is they are going to let me put together an article on the event which they will put in an upcoming issue of their magazine. So we will have pics and an article in the magazine!!!! Pretty Cool Eh ?

Great, now the whole friggin country can read when I get rivered by Shannon's gunshot straight draw. Woohoo!!

I say we all wear crazy Hawaiian shirts for the pictures!!!

JohnnieH