Poker Tournament for a Cause...Just announced!!!!

Comments

• Thanks, what happened to the lock?

Brent

not sure what you mean? You mean the topic? it's been stickied to the top.
  • sloth wrote:
    Thanks, what happened to the lock?

Brent

I made this thread sticky last night. As of Reply #30, the thread was not sticky.

I think there is a little confusion in forum moderation terminology. Locking a thread means something else: it prevents further replies to the thread (which I don't think was the intended request).

ScottyZ
  • oops, i think I may have clicked da' sticky which effectively de-stickied da' sticky. That's stinky.
  • EXCITING NEW CONTRIBUTIONS!!!!

Thanks to forum member Sloth who has agreed to contribute a whole bunch of items including chip sets...very surprising and muchly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks to forum member Acid Joe who to has contributed a set of chips and is coming with now 3 other players to the event!!!

Thanks to Showdown Tables, who is contributing a full size poker table to the event and to the coresponding event that will be held later in October in London!!!!

New commitments also from Wild Wings, Capbet and Stoney Ridge Winery!!!

We are up to 34 players.....would like to see more commitments soon...I know it is a long time away still, but it will fill up fast!!!! The prizes keep getting better and better and I want to make Faith and her family very happy, with what us poker players can pull together and do!!!
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    sloth wrote:
    Thanks, what happened to the lock?

Brent

I made this thread sticky last night. As of Reply #30, the thread was not sticky.

I think there is a little confusion in forum moderation terminology. Locking a thread means something else: it prevents further replies to the thread (which I don't think was the intended request).

ScottyZ

Scott,

thank you for the clarification on the Terminology.  We do appreciate the sticky on the topic.
  • 1) Wesley
    2) Willis W
    3) Justin
    4) Jeff S
    5) Rob B
    6) Garry C
    7) Andrew
    Rick
    9) Mark K
    10) Joe R
    11) MDSguy
    12)Tyson
    13) Adam O
    14) Adam O guest
    15) Wayne M
    16) Geoff C
    17) Brian T
    18) Daryl G
    19) Karl d
    20-23) Acid Joe and Friends
    24-27) Jeff P and Friends
    28) Karine S.
    29) David S.
    30) Jeremy
    31) Mandy J.
    32) Dave W.
    33) Kris P.
    34) Carl H.
    35) Nikki H.
    36) Johnny P.
    37) Mike L.

5 more registered yesterday and 6 more deposits received...lets keep it going guys almost half full!!!!
  • I left a deposit with your wife this afternoon. :D

My brother (Trevor or TKLefty) and I are both now deposited.
  • Hi Trevor and Brett...got it much thanks!!!!

Just received a 50 free wings gift certificate compliments of Hooters today...the prizes keep coming because this is a great cause to support!!!!
  • i'm in!!

i just got goose bumps when i read the original post today. i feel compelled to tell you why...

lemme tell you a bit about myself. i frequent a couple of other poker forums and i happened onto this forum just recently. since i'm from toronto, i thought i'd support this forum as well; it will now be on my daily forums to check into every day...

anyway about me..

i first learned to play poker when i lived in brazil (by way of taiwan) when i was 8 or 9. it was just a card game to learn and we didn't bet money nor use chips (don't ask me how boring that was, cuz i really can't remember that far back). i picked it up again during university (about 15 years ago) and then more regularly after graduation (in the last 9-10 years).

but then things happened: i got married, started a business, then had a beautiful baby boy named dyson. poker and fishing (my other passion) had to take a back seat.

my world was turned upside down in may 2003 when my angel dyson was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a very aggressive form of childhood cancer. in the two years since his diagnosis, my life was all about being with him at home and at the hospital (sick kids in t.o.) and working (since my wife had to quit to take care of him). as he progressed during his cancer, i was always optimistic and sure that he would be cured. during that time there was hardly any poker in my life (ok, i admit, i played once in a while).

in november 2004, along with friends and family from far and wide, we had a fundarising dinner that raised $50,000 to help fund my dyson's experimental treatments in th US. i can't believe the generosity of the people that we knew, met or never knew at all. Generosity just poured from everyone that heard about our plight.

Alas, his cancer got more and more aggresive and he was never able to get his experimental treatment. in may 2005 (3 months ago) my dyson, after a 2-year battle with cancer, he was finally too tired to fight. my brave little one passed away, with me and my wife beside his hospital bed...

since then, i started taking up poker more seriously (not serious as in making money from it, but more as a hobby to take up my time). i learned more strategies, played more games and even built a poker table.

i am currently organizing a little charity tournament amongst our family and friends to benefit the sick kids foundation in memory of my son.

so i understand a little about life tragedies... and poker!

sorry for the rambling, but i just had to when i read this topic; i'ts been therapeutic....

i would like to support your cause and play some poker
  • We are deeply saddened to hear about your trajedy. My wife and I are parents of a little boy of our own and can't imagine what having a sick child is like, and hopefully we never will...but that is why we are doing this for Faith and her family, too help in any way that we can to make things easier for them. Glad to have you onboard and we will see you in October!!!!

Dave
  • MDSGuy wrote:
    I left a deposit with your wife this afternoon. :D

Thank you for making me laugh so hard for the first time in a long time.

WitchDoctor...I hope you weren't offended by this. I know how it was meant but couldn't help thinking about how it could have been taken.

LAUGHING LAUGHING LAUGHING!!!
  • No...that is pretty funny stuff!!!!
  • I figured Witchdoctor would see the humour in it and not be offended. Thanks for taking it in the context it was intended. :D

4ceps, what a story. My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family.
  • 1) Wesley
    2) Willis W
    3) Justin
    4) Jeff S
    5) Rob B
    6) Garry C
    7) Andrew
    Rick
    9) Mark K
    10) Joe R
    11) Trevor (MDSguy)
    12)Tyson
    13) Adam O
    14) Adam O guest
    15) Wayne M
    16) Geoff C
    17) Brian T
    18) Daryl G
    19) Karl d
    28) Karine S.
    29) David S.
    30) Jeremy
    31) Mandy J.
    32) Dave W.
    33) Kris P.
    34) Carl H.
    35) Nikki H.
    36) Johnny P.
    37) Mike L.
    38) Brett
    39) Ed C
    40) Patrick B
    41) Terry B
    42) Harvey S

More then half way there!!!! Those who haven't got their deposits in please try and get them in as soon as possible...the earlier the better for me!!!
  • Minor clarification, Brett is MDSguy and Trevor is TKLefty.
  • My bad...I had a 50/50 shot...and failed. Sounds like my poker game!!!
  • 1) Wesley
    2) Willis W
    3) Justin
    4) Jeff S
    5) Rob B
    6) Airan F
    7) Andrew
    Rick
    9) Mark K
    10) Joe R
    11) Trevor (MDSguy)
    12)Tyson
    13) Adam O
    14) Adam O guest
    15) Wayne M
    16) Geoff C
    17) Brian T
    18) Daryl G
    19) Karl d
    28) Karine S.
    29) David S.
    30) Jeremy
    31) Mandy J.
    32) Dave W.
    33) Kris P.
    34) Carl H.
    35) Nikki H.
    36) Johnny P.
    37) Mike L.
    38) Brett
    39) Ed C
    40) Patrick B
    41) Terry B
    42) Howard S
    43) Gus S
    44) Ted K
    45) Gabriel F
    46) Nazir A

Just an update...don't forget to get those deposits in to hold your spot!!!

DETAILS OF THE LONDON EVENT THIS WEEK!!!!
  • One more thing...thanks to Braad at The Play in London for his generous contribution of a 500 piece chip set. Thanks so much for everyone again who has contributed and is playing in the event.

We just heard back from Faith's grandmother who says the whole family is overwhelmed with the support people have been giving to the event. The really appreciate everything!!!!

Lets keep the sign-ups and deposits coming...... more additional donated to be announced shortly!!!
  • Picked up the donations from Sloth tonight. A big thank you!

Prophet 22
  • Great.....We also received new contributions from Reif Estate Winery, Pizza Pizza, City Core Golf and Stoney Ridge winery. I also have confirmation that Dave Scharf's and Daniel Negreanu's donations will be in this week!!! Can't wait to see what Daniel might have sent along?!?!?
  • I'm thinking of running a satellite to "Poker for a Cause". Would there be any interest in $12.00 buy in and one in 8 win a seat? Please pm me or e mail me as I don't want to fill up this thread with stuff to me. Sept 24th is the tentative date.

Thanks.
  • That would be a great idea Joe.... On an unrelated note....new donated prizes confirmed coming from Poker Pro Barry Greenstein, Safari Bar and Grill and Shoeless Joes just today!!!
  • A BIG special thanks to Josh (RiverRatJosh) who donated a seat to the tourney from his Tuesday night event at Pearson Pub. If you are looking for some fun poker action make sure to check out the Pearson event!!! A great group of poeple and some great practice for the real final tables!!!
  • can we get a quick update on confirmed participants, just curious as to how far along you are..
  • I hope the donation from Daniel is an autographed copy of "STACKED"

Dreams Dreams Dreams
  • 1) Wesley
    2) Willis W
    3) Justin
    4) Jeff S
    5) Rob B
    6) Airan F
    7) Andrew
    Rick
    9) Mark K
    10) Joe R
    11) Trevor (MDSguy)
    12)Tyson
    13) Adam O
    14) Adam O guest
    15) Wayne M
    16) Geoff C
    17) Brian T
    18) Daryl G
    19) Karl d
    28) Karine S.
    29) David S.
    30) Jeremy
    31) Mandy J.
    32) Dave W.
    33) Kris P.
    34) Carl H.
    35) Nikki H.
    36) Johnny P.
    37) Mike L.
    38) Brett
    39) Ed C
    40) Patrick B
    41) Terry B
    42) Howard S
    43) Gus S
    44) Ted K
    45) Gabriel F
    46) Nazir A
    47) Jeff T
    48) Alain B
    49) Phil P
    50) Meaghan B
    51) Josh L Satellite winner

29 seats left with over a month to go!!!
  • 59 spots confirmed now (could be 60 if AJ gets a second satellite going this week)....new prizes coming in almost everyday and they are getting better and better...including another set of Argos tickets compliments of Pizza Pizza vs Ti-Cats ($130 value). Sign-up soon to guarantee your spot and get in your deposits before the deadline to make sure you will be playing!!!
  • Reserve one more spot for my buddy Jaime please!

I will get you the deposit soon, thanks!
  • You can sign up 2 satellite winners!!! I will have to get back to you on the names though, because I think there was some wheeling and dealing going on after the game for the seats. We had a great night, and I'm happy to have helped out.

STR82ACE
  • Awesome...that makes 64!!!! Almost full....lets make sure we get those deposits in to those still owing!!!! We got an unbelievable cash contribution from Daniel Negreanu as well as a whack of prizes...very very cool!!!! We will be having satellites down at the Westside Poker Clubs low buy-in tourney next Saturday so make sure to take a crack at a seat!!!