BB10, RIM and the future

Comments

• I tend to go with your last thought. That's a large chunk of people. Why not do a port of the BBM software for that? It's not a full rewrite. If you declare it is for Android users and then ignore 20% of the group that's pretty lame.

Just because BGR declares it a terrible mistake doesn't mean it is. By all his accounts BlackBerry should be long gone by now.

All I know is . . . your avatar lives up to your handle.
  • Good. Terrible app.

Head of BlackBerry Messenger latest in string of top executives to leave company - Yahoo Finance Canada
    "The BBM organization remains as a group within BlackBerry and will continue to focus on BlackBerry and BBM strength in messaging and new areas of strength such as mobile marketing, community-building and enterprise messaging."

Freiburger said John Sims, president, Global Enterprise Solutions, who has extensive experience in mobile messaging, would add the BBM team to his organization.
    Huh? Are they staying within Blackberry or outsourcing them to someone else? WTF?

As I said huge golden handshake to all his buddies for one year of flying in once a month for meetings.
    In addition to the many long-time executives who have left, Chen has brought in a number many new faces, including many people he has worked with in the past.

Go figure.
    BBM, which is currently free to users and does not carry advertisements, is as service that Chen has indicated he wants to monetize. However, he has not said how the company plans to do this.
  • moose wrote: »
    Huh? Are they staying within Blackberry or outsourcing them to someone else? WTF?

I would presume "Global Enterprise Solutions" is just a name for a division within Blackberry.
  • g2 wrote: »
    I would presume "Global Enterprise Solutions" is just a name for a division within Blackberry.

That is correct. But at the same time presumptuous.
  • So my blackberry bold no longer is working (won't power up). Ive been thinking of upgrading to a z10 or z30 so I go down to my provider Telus today. I'm informed that I cannot transfer my contacts from the bb desktop app to the new z30 because the z30 works on their 'link' technology. They want a minimum of $150.00 to have a look at my broken blackberry. They won't lend me a loaner phone so that I can restore my contacts thru bb desktop - unless of course I send my existing phone off for repairs...again $150.00 bill.
    I am totally regretting ever trying support the local economy here by sticking it out with blackberry. You'd think they would have a work around for this? I have absolutely no good reason to stick with bb if I cannot sync up my contacts to a new phone.
    Any suggestions for a new smartphone?
  • So my blackberry bold no longer is working (won't power up).....
    Any suggestions for a new smartphone?

I ditched my Bold recently too (way too many freeze-ups and battery pulls later) and I went with an iPhone, but only because my friend was selling an old one (4S) for cheap and I was still on contract. I do really like the iphone and will likely get a new one when it's time to replace.

If I had been in the position of buying new my choice would have been between an HTC One and a Nexus 5. Both are amazing phones, each has pros and cons depending on what you want to do with it.
  • If you are in the KW area I would contact BB cs directly and see what they will do. I guess none of your friends own a BB anymore that you could throw the sim into?
    If you are in the KW area I would contact BB cs directly and see what they will do. I guess none of your friends own a BB anymore that you could throw the sim into?

Would that actually work? If so, I wonder why the "experts" down at TELUS didn't suggest that and/or do it on one of their spare bb's and do it right there for me? Considering I was willing to shell out dough for a new phone, I'd think that it shouldn't be a big deal for them to do this for me...
  • I think I meant put your sim into another BB, take it home, sync it with your desktop, then copy your contacts onto your sim, which you should then be able to transfer to your new phone.
  • Awesome...Indonesia and more free apps. That's going turn it around for sure.

BlackBerry announces new phones, services as part of comeback strategy - Yahoo Finance Canada
  • Sorry Moose I meant to quote your post but accidentally clicked edit.

My post below:

Is there any news about BB that you would consider "good" news? At least I'm freerolling on the shares I still have.. Should I sell and take the profit of ~ $10. a share?
  • It strikes me as one of those filler press releases where they scrape for a bit of good news before they release a whole bunch of bad news.

They have done nothing since last quarter to increase revenues so I fully expect another large decline and another multi-billion dollar loss when the year end comes Mar. 1.

I mean really, who cares about sales in Indonesia and do people really prefer the trackball thingy to a real touch screen?

"4G sometime before I die"? Yep that's really nailing it down.
  • Just to put some balance on that spin.. BB shares back up to almost $12...

Two more significant announcements that prior poster failed to mention, although I'm sure he'll find the negative in them.. Still, I'm considering selling half of what I have to lock in an approximate profit of 42% over 18 months then continuing to freeroll the rest.. This is still going to take a while and I am sure there are more bumps ahead.. Maybe more buying opportunities?

Global Multinationals Invest in BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Solutions - WSJ.com

BlackBerry Introduces BES12 as the New Foundation for Enterprise Mobility - MarketWatch

Not sure if Wall Street Journal or Marketwatch are exactly main stream or are considered reliable sources or not but surely just as much as some of the others who have been predicting the demise of BB.
  • Moose is still focused on handset sales. It's just one business unit of the new BB.

The biggest news recently was the sale of Watsapp to Facebook at a staggering $19B. From that you can get a reference point for valuing what the BBM arm might be worth. Plus the anti Facebook vibe is already driving some users away.

On top of compuease's links there was the iPhone security issue. And the the Watsapp outage. Oh and the Diamler AG / Airbus BB10 migration. Ford dumping Windows and switching to QNX (another arm).

The stock price isn't about if they lose money this quarter, that is priced in. It is about where will it be a year from now and out... is there hope or not. When there was no perceived hope it went below book value. Now that there is some hope it is rising. Is it a sure thing? Of course not. Is it sure to die... no longer looks that way.

Technically it looks fairly strong after just busting through the 200 day MA with momentum. $10.85 is a big test (prev high from Jan) and then $11.50 would be the next resistance point.
  • They don't even make handsets anymore. They have dumped all the downside risk to an outside manufacturer, so even if sales improve, the upside will at best be breakeven since handset sales will go to Foxconn and they get to set the price (and profits, if any). But if they aren't selling handsets then they won't have anybody on their network. Their enterprise software is being given away for free and BBM doesn't have any model yet to monetize their users.

If the major hope for the value of the company now rides on a free app that may or may not have some value based on WhatsApp being sold for a crazy 19 billion then Blackberry has indeed sunk to a sad state of affairs. I mean if BBM was truly any good then wouldn't Facebook have bought Blackberry itself, since the entire company would have sold for far less back in Nov? Their entire market cap is 6 billion, so a controlling interest would have been far far less.
  • You must be right. As you said BB will be completely out of money and likely gone by June. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
  • Ford is likely using BB to leverage a better deal from windows. From what I heard, BB cannot even provide what Ford needs for their platforms yet.
  • BB will never "die" completely, as some south asian markets are completely dominated by blackberry. At worst they will hold a niche market over there and who knows about their future from that point.
  • But trackball...centipede one time
  • Monoxide wrote: »
    BB will never "die" completely, as some south asian markets are completely dominated by blackberry. At worst they will hold a niche market over there and who knows about their future from that point.

Not sure I agree with this line of reasoning even though I do believe BB will continue.. The US was also dominated by BB 4-5 years ago... Technology comes and goes, those who don't adapt and change with the times do die. Question really is, is BB changing/adapting fast enough.. Some, Moose, et al say no, I say it's on the fence at this point, although I'm leaning towards yes.
    My eggs are not all in this basket however the basket has made some nice profit to date.
    Nice to see the CEO be so positive.

lol, troll.....

I think that is positive. Or more positive then the rest of us are.
  • Hhhmmm quarter results out today. Of course not pretty considering where they are right now but loss not as big as expected. Cash pile took a solid hit but they still have 2.7B in cash... going to be tough to lose all of that by June Moose. Still aiming to be cash neutral or positive by end of FY2015 (end of Feb 2015) and seems they might have the cash to make it there.

BNN put it cutely this morning... something along the lines of the stock will really recover when and if they come out of rehab looking good... but they are still in rehab at the moment.
  • Losing half a billion on falling revenues of less than a billion means you have to cut expenses still by more than a third just to turn a profit. No new phones announced, basically nothing new announced that would stop the freefall in revenue.
  • Of course stickers alone are a drop in the bucket but every little move will help at the end of the day. You don't run a marathon in one leap.

Stock is getting beat up... I would guess it's a leveling to assume there won't be much of a cash pile by the time they break even. I'll probably jump back in if it tests the old lows.
  • Thinking about buying back in again.... Before the next runup..
  • You seem to have nailed a nice profit every time Comp. I wish you luck.