Ahmadinejad speech at Columbia University

124»

Comments

• darbday wrote: »
    There is no way you can say its the first thing I noticed...but it was definitely on my mind since its the topic of this thread.

Yes you are calling me prejudice. You are trying to suggest I'm anti Jew....but I just like objective truth. I don't think SNL is so objective. Neither are the media items we choose to represent our thinking patterns.

Like the Iranian president says, I'm not against Jewish people, I just think there should be more objective study done on the holocaust. That doesn't make me prejudiced or racist.

Except that he IS against the Jewish people . . . the Jewish State . . . you choose to accept one speech at Columbia over countless statements to the contrary on other occasions . . . occasions when he is much less "guarded" in his comments. You have written about looking at overviews, so why the exception for Mahmoud? His overview is an anti-Isreal/anti-Jewish one.
  • my grandmother had a fairly close relative who fell victim during the holocause. Denying that it happened is calling my grandmother a liar :< and that's not very cool
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    my grandmother had a fairly close relative who fell victim during the holocause. Denying that it happened is calling my grandmother a liar :< and that's not very cool

He's not exactly saying it didn't happen, which of course is a load of bullcrap. He's saying it should be investigated, which is not quite the same but it is a fine line.. I went back through his posts as well as the closed thread which you all assumed was deleted and while he didn't directly say the Holocaust didn't happen, his PM to me when I asked him to stop was why he got the 48 hr ban, not for what he posted publicly although it was close...

In short Darb, you are like the kid who runs around from demonstration to demonstration inciting others to riot. You have some obvious debating skills, your logic has some huge holes in it, but you do have some skills and I would say you are likely of above average intelligence. Why not use it for good?

Or are you going to continue to be the prototypical misguided youth?
  • I have no clue what has happened in previous threads ^^' I barely knew he got tempbanned, I didn't think he was denying the holocaust but rather that my grandmother would have a little something to say to people who does
  • Milo wrote: »
    Except that he IS against the Jewish people . . . the Jewish State . . .
    you choose to accept one speech at Columbia over countless statements to the contrary on other occasions . . . occasions when he is much less "guarded" in his comments. You have written about looking at overviews, so why the exception for Mahmoud?
    Not sure what you meant here, we are taking an overview of the world's history, but I a have a slight agenda with that. Maybe you think I sliced the Mahmoud's belief in half and only chose the good non radical ones...

His overview is an anti-Isreal/anti-Jewish one.
    Much of the world is anti Israel. It is a religious state that is racist towards the rest of the planet. Not the Jews you see, but the people that believe the Jewish race has god given rights to Israel...thats racist. The bible is racist. Calling people racist when they disagree with your beliefs is racist.

You would know Mahmoud better than me, but I imagine he doesn't hate the Jewish race. I imagine he 'hates' the Jewish faith and the beliefs associated with it. But maybe you know differently, my point wasn't to defend or justify Iran or their presidents' views. Just to show we can't just dismiss him as insane (or like the video HipHop showed). Our 'enemies' are real people, they have fallen into the same conditioning trap the we have. Thats not different than us, its the same.

And of course there is the gay thing which you must know I totally disagree with him obviously. "We don't have those people". Shows a certain (blatant) lack of intelligence. But our leaders show the same stupidity, some is faked ignorance, some is genuine lack of intelligence. Notice in both our countries (and the US) we allow ourselves to be governed be ignorant and unintelligent peoples.

But we have to remember we change these things by integrating the populations, to dispel ignorance, not by shying away and ostracizing 'enemies'. War doesn't fix these things either, talks like this speech do.....however it help when the introduction is so "We are right, how can you explain that?"
    my grandmother had a fairly close relative who fell victim during the holocause. Denying that it happened is calling my grandmother a liar :< and that's not very cool
    This is what I get from many of my peers. Everyone indirectly know someone who was effected by the holocaust. For some it didn't affect their families per say, but they knew friends who had a link.

But everyone has an emotional response to it. Everyone I know has an emotional response to Hitler, the swastika, the Holocaust, yet few of them actually have any idea what it was really all about.

And denying or disagreeing with the historical accounts of the holocaust isn't doing a disservice to the victims. Especially if new more accurate info was discovered, even at a 'conspiracy' level, these people would be better laid to rest.

The isn't about conspiracy really but 9/11 is the same example. Ignorant people say why would you dig up old wounds those brave courageous people died at the hands of evil terrorists. Maybe its not a inside job, but the victims deserve as much inquiry as we do.
  • compuease wrote: »
    He's not exactly saying it didn't happen, which of course is a load of bullcrap. He's saying it should be investigated, which is not quite the same but it is a fine line.. I went back through his posts as well as the closed thread which you all assumed was deleted and while he didn't directly say the Holocaust didn't happen, his PM to me when I asked him to stop was why he got the 48 hr ban, not for what he posted publicly although it was close...
    Thx this is closer to sanity
    In short Darb, you are like the kid who runs around from demonstration to demonstration inciting others to riot. You have some obvious debating skills, your logic has some huge holes in it, but you do have some skills and I would say you are likely of above average intelligence. Why not use it for good?
    Maybe get into politics and win some wars!?
    Or are you going to continue to be the prototypical misguided youth?
    You generation was taught misguided, was being anti chuch, anti war, anti government, anti democracy, anti public school. etc.

This definition of misguided is going to flip. ^-^
    This is what I get from many of my peers. Everyone indirectly know someone who was effected by the holocaust. For some it didn't affect their families per say, but they knew friends who had a link.

But everyone has an emotional response to it. Everyone I know has an emotional response to Hitler, the swastika, the Holocaust, yet few of them actually have any idea what it was really all about.

And denying or disagreeing with the historical accounts of the holocaust isn't doing a disservice to the victims. Especially if new more accurate info was discovered, even at a 'conspiracy' level, these people would be better laid to rest.

The isn't about conspiracy really but 9/11 is the same example. Ignorant people say why would you dig up old wounds those brave courageous people died at the hands of evil terrorists. Maybe its not a inside job, but the victims deserve as much inquiry as we do.

Now you're just pulling a red herring on me and putting words and arguments in my mouth. Everyone doesn't have an emotional response to the holocaust, no one said new facts would do a disservice to victims, they're dead, they don't give a shit. then you go off on some random 9/11 tangent, go find some facts or justification for your beliefs, until then you're just doubtful for the sake of being doubtful which again, isn't very pragmatic
    Now you're just pulling a red herring on me and putting words and arguments in my mouth. Everyone doesn't have an emotional response to the holocaust, no one said new facts would do a disservice to victims, they're dead, they don't give a shit. then you go off on some random 9/11 tangent, go find some facts or justification for your beliefs, until then you're just doubtful for the sake of being doubtful which again, isn't very pragmatic
    I didn't mean to put words into your mouth just connected you in with a greater population as a segue to talk about them. As for 9/11 no I don't want to go off on that tangent.
  • It's hard for me to understand where you're coming from without knowing more about you as a person.

You haven't had any formal education (I think you've stated that before) but what do you do for work? How do your co-workers and social circle react to your alternative, controversial views? Imo, you can't possibly be going around expressing all these views in public and reacting to opposing views the same way you do here, so do you change who you are off the internet and in real life?
  • It's hard for me to understand where you're coming from without knowing more about you as a person.

You haven't had any formal education (I think you've stated that before) but what do you do for work? How do your co-workers and social circle react to your alternative, controversial views? Imo, you can't possibly be going around expressing all these views in public and reacting to opposing views the same way you do here, so do you change who you are off the internet and in real life?
    I wanted to understand what people would say about my understanding, and no I can't just walk around at work talking about stuff like this.

How do they react or view me? Do you really want the answer filtered through my view? Do you trust the answer filtered through your own view? I don't trust any filters.

All I can say concretely is anyone who knows me would laugh at the thought that I am racist or prejudice....whats more correct to say is people think that I am weird I see us as such equals.

I don't think murders are bad people, I think its just as much mine and your fault they killed. You may not understand that, but its how my brain works. People calling me racist and prejudice is absolutely silly and emotional.

Just to be clear though, I'm not a saint, and I did grow up in this world. I was subjected to the same incorrect conditioning. But none of my roots are prejudicial.

What I'm suggesting is for the most part, somehow everyone has me labeled completely backwards.....

Also we can be done here and side tangenting to here to emotional intelligence.
    I wanted to understand what people would say about my understanding, and no I can't just walk around at work talking about stuff like this.
    All I can say concretely is anyone who knows me would laugh at the thought that I am racist or prejudice....whats more correct to say is people think that I am weird I see us as such equals.
    You can also say that people don't know the real you though. But cool. Move on to your next thread.
  • You can also say that people don't know the real you though. But cool. Move on to your next thread.
    No no, to be clear I admit, they do not know the real me. Most of them don't for sure anyways.

But we never really actually know each other, we see each other through our own filters and conditioning. And others project their own image and conditioning at us. So we have images of ourselves dealing with images that other people project ..and that isn't a true relationship. But we are taught it is.

A Judo man will say 'its not the judo way'
    A wrestler would say 'that not the wrestling way'
    A boxing would say 'thats not how you do it'

But its a fight. There is no way.

Anyways this thread can continue, just part of the movement has advanced on. Maybe more people will watch the video and comment more.
This discussion has been closed.