This is why I rarely watch NHL anymore

Comments

• costanza wrote: »
    exactly how I feel lol

Well, if it mirrors your thoughts EXACTLY, I guess it must be bullshit, then.

Who's on TSN tonight? :D
  • Milo wrote: »
    Well, if it mirrors your thoughts EXACTLY, I guess it must be bullshit, then.

Who's on TSN tonight? :D

lol, im just gonna let your crude, antagonizing posts slide man, im not gonna give u the satisfaction of a retort, so keep on goin' with it if u want.
    lol, im just gonna let your crude, antagonizing posts slide man, im not gonna give u the satisfaction of a retort, so keep on goin' with it if u want.

/\/\/\ ??? Oxymoron much?
  • Lots of truculence in the Sens/Habs game going on right now. Great game so far.

In the end, great game. Fans got their money's worth.
  • I've played hockey myself (High School and Junior) and fighting is part of the game. Mind that I am a goalie, if it wasn't for those "Goons/Tough Guys" The other team would be taking advantage of me by running the net and knocking me down, getting slashed, and elbowed to the head. You need someone to protect your players.

When I saw that NJ vs NYR fight at the beginning of the game, I loved it. Old school hockey.
  • About time to bump this gem of a thread.... Can you imagine a PIT vs PHI series without fighting?

Great playoffs so far! Just not for my playoff pool....
  • reibs wrote: »
    About time to bump this gem of a thread.... Can you imagine a PIT vs PHI series without fighting?

Great playoffs so far! Just not for my playoff pool....

now imagine if they weren't allowed to fight and the talent on both teams actually had something to do with hockey. i'd probably watch it then.
  • I like to imagine how players could look as mature on the ice as they usually appear off the ice if they didn't resort to 6th grade face washing as a standard tactic.
  • trigs wrote: »
    now imagine if they weren't allowed to fight and the talent on both teams actually had something to do with hockey. i'd probably watch it then.

"I thought it was great," said Flyers coach Peter Laviolette. "That's the thing … in the end, that's playoff hockey, isn't it? A couple of the best players in the world dropping their gloves and going at it. Would I rather have [Giroux] keep his gloves on? Sure. But when he's fighting Sidney Crosby, that's playoff hockey."

"I don't have to sit here and explain why I pushed a glove away," he added. "They are doing a lot of things out there, too. You know what, we don't like each other. Was I going to sit there and pick up his glove? What was I supposed to do?"

That little move set off a wild melee 12:02 into the first period that ended with Crosby and Claude Giroux in the box with fighting majors and Kimmo Timonen and Kris Letang in the dressing room with game misconducts after they engaged in a fight of their own.

When it was suggested to Crosby that he could have skated away, he scoffed.

The first period ended with 72 penalty minutes and took nearly an hour to play.

Honestly it's just too stupid for words.
  • Yeah! I mean, could you imagine if there wasn't so much garbage like in the Canucks series?

... Wait, scratch that. My Canucks are just getting their asses handed to them by a ridiculously skilled and awesome goalie. My bad. Continue about your business.
  • This is the best playoff start I've seen in a number of years......and guess what.....fighting didn't hurt it. I can see the argument for staged fights (though I still luv em)....but in the playoffs, when it comes from pure emotion....it's epic hockey.

For those of you argueing you don't need fighting.....let us visit the Sens / Rangers series.

Game 1, Karlsson gets a mauling from Boyle, I think Boyle had about a hundy pounds on em.

Game 2, enter Carkner......Boyle obviously chose not to fight probably cuz he's against fighting.....u think Boyle is going to try that again?

Now, if Carkner doesn't do this.....does that mean Boyle has free reign to terrorize the smaller skilled Senator players....me thinks so.

A clear example the NHL agrees when Carkner gets 1 game, and the hit on Alfredsson garners 3 games.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure 95% of the fans filling the seats at the games agree with my point of view (at least, judging by their cheering)....and they're paying ze billzzzz.

If u want to watch womans hockey, watch womans hockey.......just sayin.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    This is the best playoff start I've seen in a number of years......and guess what.....fighting didn't hurt it. I can see the argument for staged fights (though I still luv em)....but in the playoffs, when it comes from pure emotion....it's epic hockey.

For those of you argueing you don't need fighting.....let us visit the Sens / Rangers series.

Game 1, Karlsson gets a mauling from Boyle, I think Boyle had about a hundy pounds on em.

Game 2, enter Carkner......Boyle obviously chose not to fight probably cuz he's against fighting.....u think Boyle is going to try that again?

Now, if Carkner doesn't do this.....does that mean Boyle has free reign to terrorize the smaller skilled Senator players....me thinks so.

A clear example the NHL agrees when Carkner gets 1 game, and the hit on Alfredsson garners 3 games.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure 95% of the fans filling the seats at the games agree with my point of view (at least, judging by their cheering)....and they're paying ze billzzzz.

sorry but i just don't get this argument at all. obviously hockey is flawed in this regard because, well, they've allowed fighting forever. so let's take another sport as an example.

tiger woods cracks 'lefty' in the back with his driver because 'lefty' birdied the last hole. now 'lefty' is too scared to try and birdie the next one. so...how is this a sport again? oh yeah it's not. where's the skill and talent? oh yeah there isn't any needed.

hockey simply becomes some form of legalized fighting/violence with an occasional goal thrown into the mix just so we can somehow decide a winner (too bad the team with more knockouts doesn't get a point at least). i'll give the nhl some credit though. they tried to change the rules so there are some more goals as opposed to the 'soccer' days of hockey. still pretty boring though if you ask me.

and i agree with you that 95% of people enjoy the violence. hence why i never got into hockey as a kid because that's all everyone ever talks about. but seriously, watch some MMA and leave the actual skills in the sport and the violence out.
    and i agree with you that 95% of people enjoy the violence. hence why i never got into hockey as a kid because that's all everyone ever talks about. but seriously, watch some MMA and leave the actual skills in the sport and the violence out.

Here is the part u were supposed to read
    T8urmoney wrote: »
  • Ah hell, I had a nice tl;dr post typed up explaining my thoughts in a logical way, but.....

EFF YOU SOFTIES! DON CHERRY FOR PRESIDENT....

errrrr.....

That's the stupidest argument ever. If you are at the game then you enjoy the sport with its rules. Obviously 0% of the people in attendance at a playoff hockey game are there because they just happened to be wandering past the arena, and said hey, I know nothing about this sport, I think I'll buy a ticket and see what it is like.

TV ratings suck for hockey because it is a goon sport and more people are uninterested, than interested in watching that. TV and merchandising pays the bills, not 17000 fans @ $100 a ticket.

72 min in penalties and two fights and two ejections because some idiot kicked a glove and other idiots could not suck it up and take the extreme insult that it presented. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If golf was hockey, then Woods wouldn't have to crack Mickelson in the head with a driver, all he would have to do is move his ball marker without permission and a brawl would start.

Are you sure you are recommending MENS hockey because it seems more like 6 year old crybabies hockey.
  • Nice rebuttal moose

For the record, I am not on moose's side of this argument.

/g2
  • moose wrote: »
    TV ratings suck for hockey because it is a goon sport and more people are uninterested, than interested in watching that.

I find this quote curious. Obv I don't have info or numbers, but I highly doubt this to be the case.

Isn't UFC thriving? Wouldn't that be the ultimate goon sport? I mean all those people are buying tickets, knowing that they are buying them specifically to watch ~10 fights in which all of them will result in some type of injury or violence....
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigs viewpost.gif

Quote:
    Originally Posted by T8urmoney viewpost.gif

spoken like a true hockey fan. thanks for proving my point :)
  • reibs wrote: »
    I find this quote curious. Obv I don't have info or numbers, but I highly doubt this to be the case.

Isn't UFC thriving? Wouldn't that be the ultimate goon sport? I mean all those people are buying tickets, knowing that they are buying them specifically to watch ~10 fights in which all of them will result in some type of injury or violence....

Revenue comparison
    All figures in billions of U.S. dollars.
    League Revenue
    NFL $11B
    MLB $7B
    NBA $3.8B
    NHL $2.9B
    MLS $0.28B

Comparing the sizes of annual television contracts, the NFL is by far the largest, at nearly $5 billion, with the NBA and MLB both in distant second and third ($500 million and $479 million respectively). The NHL is in fourth place, at $200 million in the latest U.S. contract.

NHL ratings consistent, tiny. | Sports Media Watch

Why are we back to MMA? I believe the object of the MMA is to beat your opponent into submission. I think people would be pretty pissed off with the MMA if someone were to say 'You have punched me in the head 10 times in a row. I take offense. Let's settle this like men. I play u checkers heads up for rollz'. I can see people picking their favourite fighter now - that guy can fight but he is really awesome at checkers!

Anyways the problem is not the fighting and violence. It is the stupid hockey mentality and goonery that results in fights over someone moving a glove, snowing a goalie, skating over the red line during warmup, shots after a whistle and on and on and on. As I quoted above, someone asked the obvious question of Crosby 'Why did you move the glove in the first place'

Obv answer is because hockey players are childish morons.

Isn't a bit ridiculous that in the Official NHL rulebook that there is a direct link to the rules on fighting, IN THE WARM-UP REGULATIONS?

86.6 Pre-Game Warm-Up - During the pre-game warm-up (which shall not exceed sixteen (16) minutes in duration) and before the commencement of play in any period, each team shall confine its activity to its own end of the rink. Refer to Rule 46.9 - Fighting.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigs viewpost.gif

Quote:
    Originally Posted by T8urmoney viewpost.gif

spoken like a true hockey fan. thanks for proving my point :)

I know, and I can even use the quote feature
  • this thread fucking sucks
    I know, and I can even use the quote feature

seriously, show me how.
  • moose wrote: »
    TV ratings suck for hockey because it is a goon sport and more people are uninterested, than interested in watching that.

I looked into this. Depending on which article you read, NBC is seeing somewhere between a 20% and 50% rise in TV ratings this year. Clearly the word is out that this year is a blood bath and people are tuning in.
  • So much fail here......where to start.........
    moose wrote: »
    That's the stupidest argument ever. If you are at the game then you enjoy the sport with its rules. Obviously 0% of the people in attendance at a playoff hockey game are there because they just happened to be wandering past the arena, and said hey, I know nothing about this sport, I think I'll buy a ticket and see what it is like.

Well, if that's the stupidest argument ever, then ^^^ is the most...hmm, how to put....brain 'vacancy' statement ever.

If you think because you get a penalty for fighting, it makes it easy to get fighting out of the game because it's 'against the sports rules'.......well, you'll have to get rid of icing, offside, tripping, slashing....cuz, hey, it's 'against the sports rules'.

TV ratings suck for hockey because it is a goon sport and more people are uninterested, than interested in watching that. TV and merchandising pays the bills, not 17000 fans @ $100 a ticket.

Separate US ratings from Cdn ratings.....Cdn ratings for the Pit / Philly games on TSN are off the charts (or so my local radio tells me).

Not sure on the US ratings, but I'm going to make the assumption the Pit / Philly games have huge ratings compared to, say last years first round.

TV revenue for the NHL is microbial, when u compare it to NFL, MLB, and NBA.
    72 min in penalties and two fights and two ejections because some idiot kicked a glove and other idiots could not suck it up and take the extreme insult that it presented. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

too much lolzz in this statement.....the 'kicking of the glove' was coincidental to the boiling point of the Pens frustration obv.

and, oh, I liked it btw
    If golf was hockey, then Woods wouldn't have to crack Mickelson in the head with a driver, all he would have to do is move his ball marker without permission and a brawl would start.

yeah, and if my aunt had ballz she'd be my uncle....stick to credible comparison's, as you seem to be avoiding a comparison for MMA, u should other sports as well........amirite?
    Are you sure you are recommending MENS hockey because it seems more like 6 year old crybabies hockey.

Spoken like a true sofball superstar. I can say that I never played a high level of hockey, but I have a number of friends that have / had, don't remember anyone haveing your pov.

If you take fighting from hockey, next it will be the contact........and voila, female hockey.
  • I won't say "coincidence", but the TSN folks were very happy to get the Philly/Pitt series to broadcast, as they anticipated stellar ratings. This was before the series even started, so I would think an argument could be made that ratings would be good regardless of whether the fights has occured.
  • Milo wrote: »
    I won't say "coincidence", but the TSN folks were very happy to get the Philly/Pitt series to broadcast, as they anticipated stellar ratings. This was before the series even started, so I would think an argument could be made that ratings would be good regardless of whether the fights has occured.

Wonder why they anticipated stellar ratings? Must've been the superb goaltending matchup.
    this thread fucking sucks

qft
    Wonder why they anticipated stellar ratings? Must've been the superb goaltending matchup.

bahahahahhaa read my mind!