Thread locking...

Comments

• Locking threads is NOT censorship, it's MODERATING! So yes, I do think the mods have the right to lock a thread if it is warranted.

Nobody complains when a spammer gets banned. That's censorship isn't it?
  • You don't come to the wrong side of the tracks enough.

what can I say, I was in my judge dredd state of mind today
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Total time spent posting in this thread approximately 10 minutes

Total % of my life that took... minuscule. But, wrong is wrong, and I think it's wrong.

Mark

You're right, you're wrong . . .
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Locking threads is NOT censorship, it's MODERATING! So yes, I do think the mods have the right to lock a thread if it is warranted.

Nobody complains when a spammer gets banned. That's censorship isn't it?

Whoa!

A reasonable response! :) Though I agree in this spot... it still gums my craw...

Mark
  • It's not censorship until it's deleted. Locking it, to me, just means that it's going to get ugly and someone has stepped in before it's too late.
  • But...

Locking it would prevent me from further contributing to a conversation - effectively forcing me to either not voice what I want, or finding another way to voice it (in this case, start a new thread with the same topic continued). The latter of which would just make me look like a douchebag, and agitate people. Both of which are deterrents to me voicing my opinion.

In this way it's both outright and indirect censoring.

Mark
    But...

Locking it would prevent me from further contributing to a conversation

You keep making locking a thread seem so appealing.
    But...

Locking it would prevent me from further contributing to a conversation - effectively forcing me to either not voice what I want, or finding another way to voice it (in this case, start a new thread with the same topic continued). The latter of which would just make me look like a douchebag, and agitate people. Both of which are deterrents to me voicing my opinion.

Mark
    nobody is entitled to say what ever they want here, and people who constantly re open topics from banned threads get banned

I want to be clear that you are not saying there should be no limit to how bad thread can be before a mod steps into lock it? or is that what youre saying?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    You keep making locking a thread seem so appealing.

Oh you just missed your afternoon nap! ;)

Mark
  • darbday wrote: »
    nobody is entitled to say what ever they want here, and people who constantly re open topics from banned threads get banned

I want to be clear that you are not saying there should be no limit to how bad thread can be before a mod steps into lock it? or is that what youre saying?

Pretty much - I don't think threads should be locked.

Mark
    But...

Mark

Re: Bolded. Mark, you are like the ending of Thelma and Louise. Even if you recognized a deterrent to you voicing your opinon, you'd just haull ass through it, and speak your mind anyway.

As for the second portion, I quote Inigo Montoya, "I do not think that word means what you think it does."
  • This thread has just gotten plain annoying......
  • Milo wrote: »
    Re: Bolded. Mark, you are like the ending of Thelma and Louise. Even if you recognized a deterrent to you voicing your opinon, you'd just haull ass through it, and speak your mind anyway.

As for the second portion, I quote Inigo Montoya, "I do not think that word means what you think it does."

Never saw the flick - probably something to do with GTA's option of needing a woman...

But deterrent's don't work anyways :P And I do speak my mind - wish more people did too.

Mark
  • kidcolt66 wrote: »
    This thread has just gotten plain annoying......

lol... you must have missed the thread where I was posting first world problems.

Mark
    But...

make me look like a douchebag. deterrents to me voicing my opinion.

Mark

So, if someone just calls you a douchebag you'll stop voicing your opinion? Or do we in fact have to make you appear to be one?

Both are possibilities and reasonable requests.
    Pretty much - I don't think threads should be locked.

Mark
    so if a thread has come to a point where all its doing is berating a certain individual you don't think that should be stopped?
  • FFS - this is not a democracy here. If you want a forum where threads never gets locked, go buy your own domain and start your own forum.

Compuease has asked for nothing in return for his hard work of cleaning up the forum, getting rid of spammers, he doesn't need to deal with bullshit like this whether thread-locking is allowed or not. Furthermore, its not like he's trigger happy with locking threads, so leave him alone

Forum is owned by an independent owner and if there is material that will hurt the community and profitability of the forum, the mods/admins have the power to act as they see fit for the benefit of the forum as a whole.

While no doubt the OP to that "other" thread had it coming, posts asking to be made fun of, there needs to be a line. If there are no new members joining, what good is it for someone to continue to pay for the domain and servers.
  • So, if someone just calls you a douchebag you'll stop voicing your opinion? Or do we in fact have to make you appear to be one?

Both are possibilities and reasonable requests.

Haha... zero chance my friend, zero chance :)

Mark
    so if a thread has come to a point where all its doing is berating a certain individual you don't think that should be stopped?

Nope

Though I sincerely doubt that it would have much legs without someone to play back and forth with.

Also, "Scumbag Steve" was my favorite meme of 2010.

Mark

Is that individual chained to a chair with his eyes pinned open and the refresh button regularly pressed?

Cause that would be wrong.
  • Is that individual chained to a chair with his eyes pinned open and the refresh button regularly pressed?

This is likely the heart of my discomfort.

You don't like someone on this site, you can click "ignore", you don't want to participate in a thread, you don't have to respond, you don't want to see what's being said, don't click on it.

Fact is, you have to ACTIVELY seek out topics in these forums, it's not like they're thrown at you.

Mark
    Whoa!

A reasonable response! :) Though I agree in this spot... it still gums my craw...

Mark

hey, i thought mine was reasonable. guess i don't count.
  • trigs wrote: »
    hey, i thought mine was reasonable. guess i don't count.

Alright.. you get a cookie too : ) (Musta been reading a lot of them to catch up)

Mark
    Alright.. you get a cookie too : ) (Musta been reading a lot of them to catch up)

Mark

woohoo!
    Nope

Mark
    thats advocating cyber bullying and yes we are adults but we influence children

DrTyore wrote: »
    Though I sincerely doubt that it would have much legs without someone to play back and forth with.
    if i understand what you are saying here then my response is the pp thread was closed becuase it had legs, even though the original person had left

and about the steve thing yes, you enjoy conflict
  • Is that individual chained to a chair with his eyes pinned open and the refresh button regularly pressed?

you are ignoring all the other people this turns aways from the site and from the conversations, poker related or not
    This is likely the heart of my discomfort.

You don't like someone on this site, you can click "ignore", you don't want to participate in a thread, you don't have to respond, you don't want to see what's being said, don't click on it.

Fact is, you have to ACTIVELY seek out topics in these forums, it's not like they're thrown at you.

Mark
    lets apply a child posting a threatening status on their facebook to that, or a berating status. It doesn't actively seek out the victim....but it needs to stop
  • Mark has a point, thread locking is a FORM of censorship. Every human being on this planet has a right to speak/post their mind. The problem I see is when peoples opinions start to become malicious and are voiced for no other reason then to inflict/hurt others. As we all know, often in life it's not what you're saying but how you're saying it. I WELCOME debate on any subject that I feel strongly about. If nothing I will learn more about the other debater and their "spin" on the issue. I've met comp and wes (wes briefly) and both seem like normal guys. I can't see either one sitting around waiting to lock up threads at the first sign of inappropriateness. This is a business Mark, If I owned a store and you came in and dropped your pants, You would be leaving pretty quick. (but thats not something you would do right ;) Is that considered censorship? Pretty sure there was recent court case concerning this very issue and to quote the presiding judge "those who live in glass houses DO have to put up curtains" All in all this thread makes me smile, so good to see others engaged in a passionate debate. So...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'm with mark. Threads should not be locked unless there are clearly abusing people or privileges. Just my opinion, nothing less nothing more

And wtf is darb saying?!?! His post have more twist turns than a Cubby Checker record
  • TheMill wrote: »
    I've met comp and wes (wes briefly) and both seem like normal guys.

i always pictured comp as wearing a giant cowboy hat. i think he's usually shirtless and hairy too. one of those old guys who are always washing their driveway with a hose.
    darbday wrote: »

DrTyore wrote: »
    Nope
    TheMill wrote: »
    . So...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'm with mark. Threads should not be locked unless there are clearly abusing people or privileges. Just my opinion, nothing less nothing more
    And wtf is darb saying?!?! His post have more twist turns than a Cubby Checker record
    TheMill wrote: »