computer help

Comments

• philliivey wrote: »
    Can't answer on here with smartphone need to talk comp somehow else

pm me your phone # and I'll try. Working with djgolfcan at the moment on his system.
  • there is a fucking 3 in the URL

you want pokerforum.ca not pok3erforum.ca the 3 is above the "e" and you hit it as well.....this isn't april 1 is it?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    over/under this ends in a serious injury?

About tree-fiddy . . . taking the under.
  • I am picturing a thread posted sometime tomorrow, from the Barrie public library, asking for deals on laptops, a router, and vowing righteous vengeance and legal tomfoolery against Philli's ISP. :D
  • Milo wrote: »
    I am picturing a thread posted sometime tomorrow, from the Barrie public library, asking for deals on laptops, a router, and vowing righteous vengeance and legal tomfoolery against Philli's ISP. :D
    As long as I'm not included with the ISP.. I offered to help via phone but Philli says maybe tomorrow night... lol
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    there is a fucking 3 in the URL

you want pokerforum.ca not pok3erforum.ca the 3 is above the "e" and you hit it as well.....this isn't april 1 is it?

I thought he did it to somehow prevent spammers or maybe he's l33t.
  • Phili, I wasn't trying to come off as an a$$hole. it just seemed so obvious. the only site that won't work and the copy/paste has a 3 in it? I think with all the resets and stuff before hitting Comp's link something else got messed up.

good luck dude, and thank dog for your smart phone.
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    Phili, I wasn't trying to come off as an a$$hole. it just seemed so obvious. the only site that won't work and the copy/paste has a 3 in it? I think with all the resets and stuff before hitting Comp's link something else got messed up.

good luck dude, and thank dog for your smart phone.
    this is why i wanted to say in the other thread that the actual first step to trouble shooting is to check if the person is already online:p
  • Just so some of you who don't know about a router understand.

Powering a router and modem off/on is a "soft" reset, ie it does not change any settings programmed in. This is a good thing to do whenever you have lost your internet to all connected devices whether wirelessly or hard wired.

Resetting a router or modem via the "hidden" reset button will reset all of the settings to factory defaults. On a router this is a little (usually red) button that you typically need a pen or some other small tipped device to hold pushed in for 10 sec. If you have a cable ISP, ie Cogeco/Rogers etc this is usually fine for wired devices as the default router settings are ok for that. However if you have some DSL (uses telephone line for connection) modems they need to be programmed with your userid and password to allow connection. So the red button reset wipes that out and I suspect is what happened in this case. The red button or hard reset would also wipe out your wireless settings for SSID and wireless password.

There are a lot of misconceptions about this whole reset thing so I thought I would try and make it a little clearer, hopefully I didn't make it worse. :)

In the last year I have seen a number of people who have had DNS settings in their routers changed via some trojan to route all of their internet connections through various dodgy (usually Russian) websites that do everything from drastically slow down your internet surfing to a crawl to constantly throw advertising at you. Only way to fix this is change those settings back in your router and remove the offending trojan from your pc. Nasty stuff..
  • Yup comp post could be right but I cannot connection t to Linksys at all on the laptop with issues. Older laptop is fine and other computer is fine and can connect to internet but still can't connect to forum on them.
  • Spent about an hour on the phone with Philli using Teamviewer to login remotely. Went through his router settings which were still set at factory defaults, no wireless security, etc. Did find that the router kicked me off intermittently and would not let him connect wirelessly at all if I turned on security. I think it is an older router so advised him it should be replaced. When I finished his 3 computers were working on the net but no security but he could still not get to pokerforum.ca from any of his computers (2 laptops and 1 desktop). I suspect the router is bad but there may also be a problem with his local ISP (Rogers) blocking pokerforum, as I could not even ping pokerforum from his location.
  • compuease wrote: »
    I suspect the router is bad but there may also be a problem with his local ISP (Rogers) blocking pokerforum, as I could not even ping pokerforum from his location.
    taking out the router and iso-ing the modem would check that...

also was he able to do other 'secure' websites. I forget the name ssl or something...

and typing in the forum ip address (thats so not what its called) but the number version of the url in the browser will sometimes work and iso an issue...
  • darbday wrote: »
    taking out the router and iso-ing the modem would check that...

also was he able to do other 'secure' websites. I forget the name ssl or something...

and typing in the forum ip address (thats so not what its called) but the number version of the url in the browser will sometimes work and iso an issue...

lol, not new at this you know Darb. Did try connecting the desktop directly to the Rogers modem but could not get an ip at all then. Not sure if that is valid for Rogers as all my clients are on Cogeco,Bell or some other DSL supplier.
    As for secure, pokerforum is not a "secure" website and Philli can login to banking websites. From his computer we can not ping pokerforum via domain name nor the ip address. Neither get a response... So where do you think the issue is? :) This is a test..

Oh and ssl stands for Secure Socket Layer and is typically used for transaction based websites.
    lol, not new at this you know Darb. Did try connecting the desktop directly to the Rogers modem but could not get an ip at all then. Neither get a response... So where do you think the issue is? :) This is a test..
    you wouldn't scoff at a 2nd opinion tho ;p

I must not understand you couldn't get a connection with just the modem?
  • Hah darb he told you:)
  • darbday wrote: »
    you wouldn't scoff at a 2nd opinion tho ;p

I must not understand you couldn't get a connection with just the modem?

Nope, course I was relying on what Philli was doing and telling me.. :) I'm an hour and a half away from where he lives so going there is not an option.
    lol, not new at this you know Darb. Did try connecting the desktop directly to the Rogers modem but could not get an ip at all then. Not sure if that is valid for Rogers as all my clients are on Cogeco,Bell or some other DSL supplier.
    As for secure, pokerforum is not a "secure" website and Philli can login to banking websites. From his computer we can not ping pokerforum via domain name nor the ip address. Neither get a response... So where do you think the issue is? :) This is a test..

Oh and ssl stands for Secure Socket Layer and is typically used for transaction based websites.
    I've added his ip to the server firewall whitelist just incase. Well see if that helps.

Has to be someone else on here using Rogers. I did but gave up on the redundant ISPs, just using Bell via Teksavvy...oh wait I have a Rogers rocketstick as my fallback. It's for work but I could try pinging pokerforum at least. Did this:

pinging 184.172.244.21 from a command prompt

Teksavvy (using Bell) - ping reply

Rogers rocketstick - ping reply
  • I use Rogers with no issues
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    I use Rogers with no issues

Cable or cellular? big difference..
  • I'm on Rogers cellular and cable internet.

Only problems I've had with internet is when they occaisonally disconnect my internet when a roommate cancels phone or TV (i.e. they're fucking morons). No issues with cell

Mark
    Cable or cellular? big difference..

Both
  • Scoops wrote: »
    I've added his ip to the server firewall whitelist just incase. Well see if that helps.

This did it folks!

Back on as of now.

Will see if it lasts and any further issues come up.

Thanks to scoops and comp for their time and help.

Thanks to literation, Hobbes and Mark for checking rogers connection stuff.

To suited pair and all,

I was and am extremely frustrated at the time and very tired, besides this my dad was in the hospital just recently, it is slow at work and not sure if their are gonna be temporary layoffs, still got other issues going on and a bit of a bad run in poker.

So not mad at ya's, everything is hitting all at once, so kinda very stressed.

I was not blaming the forum as some thought, I was just saying I was on the forum when I got knocked out, did some research and I read it might be due to the website's server(s) for whatever reason.

Scoops

As I told compuease I was just trying to post a new thread with a screenshot of holdem manager 2 and I was previewing the post to see if the image was in the post and that's when I got "booted" so to say.

Just to let ya know that I was not doing anything "malicious" to the forum or anything like that. :)
  • Just got myself a new computer today. Thanks to Compuease for helping me crash my other one. :)
  • philliivey wrote: »
    This was it folks!

Back on as of now.

Will see if it lasts and any further issues come up.

I seriously have my doubts, however it that was it, one of your pc's is likely infected and was firing out bad stuff.

Just thought of something else... Fed using Philli's pc?
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Just got myself a new computer today. Thanks to Compuease for helping me crash my other one. :)

You're welcome, bill is in the mail... And don't try taking ram in and out with power on with the new one. :D
  • I am currently infected and firing out bad stuff . . . it's too fucking mild for the flu.
  • Milo wrote: »
    I am currently infected and firing out bad stuff . . . it's too fucking mild for the flu.

same issue as Mole?
    You're welcome, bill is in the mail... And don't try taking ram in and out with power on with the new one. :D

Hey what was that malware site ? And the link for the free microsoft anti virus software ?
    same hooker as Mole?

fyp :D