WTF Brian Burke

Just watching CFTO news and found out that Mr Burke has traded Kris Versteeg to the Philadelphia Flyers for a 1st round draft pick this June and next June. That's 2 picks folks.

In 51 games Versteeg has amassed 15 G 21 A and for a lot has been a bit of a disappointment to most. What did these people expect. He had nowhere's near the supporting cast he had in Chicago.
Same with Phil Kessel who should have IMO been sent packing before Christmas.
Yes Mr Ballard saw his shadow on Feb 2nd and yes more for us poor old Leaf fans to endure.

I will be running a Hockey Pool for the 2011 Playoffs if anyone wants to join in I will be posting all of the info Mid March.
F-U Brian Burke. You horses ass...

Comments

• lol a Flyers 1st rd pick is useless, rather have Versteeg who is still young. Theres nobody interested in Giguere instead?
  • Trading draft picks for young players is soooo 2009 according to Brian Burke. :rolleyes:
  • Trade EVERYBODY !!! Can you honestly say that there is one 'untouchable' player on the Leafs roster? Really?!?
  • Yeah, I don't understand the Leafs... they trade a decent 24 year-old player for a pick that will be somewhere between 25 - 30 in the first round. It will be several years before that player will be contributing like Versteeg is now... I thought Versteeg was part of the rebuild plan...
  • The point is Milo, that it didn't take a genius GM to see that's what Burke should have done when he got to town......not 18 months after trading 2 lottery draft picks.

The hole gets deeper.....I couldn't be happier.
  • Don't you feel the draft picks are a way to relieve pressure of Burke himself, so the Leafs at least do not have to sit idly by watching again. I like Versteeg as a 3rd liner, but like all other Leafs, he is expendable.

I actually feel that there is another move in the near future which will see the Leafs move up in the (1st round) draft.
  • should have traded wilson for a newborn baby....would have made more sense :D
  • A lot of things that Leaf GM"s do, does not make sense. It's like as soon as they get here they become total fucking retards.
    I remember when Burkie got here and people were talking about him in Anaheim and the cup winner he built. He made 1 trade prior to the deadline. He did not build that team. I can't understand why anyone in their right mind would trade a 24 yr old player who is only going to get better (and for a leaf 35 or 36 points considering who he is playing with is pretty good at this point) for 2 1st round draft picks from a team at or near the top of the standings.
    26th or 27th pick overall is not going to see any results for at least 4 years, maybe more.
    I am sure they could have worked a deal with one of the bottom 5 and got back into the lottery.
    Idiots.........................
  • LOL Are you guys serious? You are really that concerned that they got rid of Versteeg?!! The guy chewed his mouthguard more than he played hockey ffs!

Seriously though, he was not producing anywhere near top two line production, and at over $3M per, he was overpriced as a third liner - which is where he fit in best in Chicago also. With Lupul now on the books (overpriced also) Burke needed to get rid of a salary like Versteeg's. Burke said that he shopped the offer around and no one wanted to go any higher than Philly. He also said Philly told him the offer would come off the table as the deadline got closer.

To bash Burke for restocking the picks that most guys bashed him for giving up is ridiculous!! I am skeptical at best about Burke's plan for rebuilding, but this trade actually makes some sense.

Just go look at how well the players Burke gave up for Versteeg to Chicago are doing... I'd take a 1st and 3rd anyday for those three minor leaguers....

Giguere will MAYBE fetch a 3rd/4th round pick or something similar....

Oh and HVEE, would you give up a lottery pick to the leafs for versteeg plus? Unless the leafs throw Schenn in there, I highly doubt it....

Im as big a leaf fan as the next kool-aid drinker, but man, some people!!....
  • reibs wrote: »
    To bash Burke for restocking the picks that most guys bashed him for giving up is ridiculous!! I am skeptical at best about Burke's plan for rebuilding, but this trade actually makes some sense.

You must admit that a first and third from the odds on favourite to win the East does not restock two lottery first rounders given up for a soft one dimensional player.

Remember Kessel was done in Boston and was a restricted free agent. Burke overpaid and deserved to be bashed. He gave away top draft picks (he HAD to know they were going to be high picks based on where the franchise stood) in an effort to compete sooner. A terrible decision that will haunt them for a long time as they seem now to want to rebuild, a year and a half after they traded for Kessel. Grab a clue Burke.....but not too soon this is very enjoyable for me.
  • You must admit that a first and third from the odds on favourite to win the East does not restock two lottery first rounders given up for a soft one dimensional player.

Remember Kessel was done in Boston and was a restricted free agent. Burke overpaid and deserved to be bashed. He gave away top draft picks (he HAD to know they were going to be high picks based on where the franchise stood) in an effort to compete sooner. A terrible decision that will haunt them for a long time as they seem now to want to rebuild, a year and a half after they traded for Kessel. Grab a clue Burke.....but not too soon this is very enjoyable for me.

I think that its obvious that these picks will certainly not yield lottery prospects.... And I admit Kessel is soft..... If we could go back in time, I don't think ANYONE would pull that trigger again. However, when Burke made that trade, he made a gross overestimation of the teams success that year. There is no denying that. Had the Leafs finished where Burke thought (say 8th in east even), then IMO it was a good trade...Obviously not the case. So yes, he deserved to be bashed then.

But what this trade (Versteeg) will do is put some more potential prospects into the organization that we did not have before. Remember not ALL great NHLers are drafted in the top 5.... If only we could draft like the red wings...

Also, while he traded away those two first rounders, no one can fault him for not trying to replace them... He has signed numerous kids with some potential (which is what a draft is afterall - kids with potential - no guarantees) to see if they pan out... Some have, some have not.

GAWD I can't wait for the Habnots to join the crappy sens in the basement in the next few years.... I just hope by then Burke has figured out which direction is north....
  • Burke obviously has something else in the works.

lets start from the net, out.

Reimer is obviously staying, with giguere as a mentor. no moves there.

Defense: kaberle is for sure going within the next 2 weeks. Draft picks are an excellent "throw in" to entice a team to let go of a top 6 forward. especially a first rounder.

Forwards: Well the team is FULL of AHL caliber players and have next to zero goal scoring ability. Look for a center to come in for kessel. someone like bryan little has been rumored just today via twitter from some TSN panel guys. Little played 2 years with kovalchuk and is a 30 goal scorer. and cheap, like 2.5M a season.

In all, the leafs have alot of work to do. I dont know why Im even paying attention to it, im a habs fan; but living in toronto, the media ensures you always know whats going on :mad:

time will tell, but im excited for the trade deadline and seeing what Burke is gonna do.
  • There is another 1 or 2 trades in the works.
    Wow we will get to pick near the end of the first round in June. In a draft that is going to be very soft IMO.

This whole pantload started after the lockout with John ( I am going to fuck up this team royally) Fergouson "Jr".
    As far as the Kessel Trade. I would be the first to say this was not a good deal. I have seen what happens when Players who were great on one team come to the leafs and become worthless crap.
    For 25 yrs I have seen them sign or make deals for players that were at the end of their careers and has done us no good.
    The exception of a few who did help.
    I just can't understand with the exception of Cliff Fletcher and Pat Quinn what happens to these GM'S when they get into the front office at ACC.
    Versteeg may not have been happy but who would. He just won a Stanley Cup and now he is playing for a team that is going nowhere in a hurry.
  • Wonder if Kessel is trolling this forum. ROFLMFAO.

Kessel netted 2 against his old team tonight. Snapped a 14 game drought and the LEAFS beat the Bruins 4-3. Grabovski who had his brain bashed by Chara also scored twice. L O L
  • do any leafs fans think the leafs still have a shot at the playoffs anymore? i think burke answered that question with moves this week.

now only if those flamer fans would get out of their state of denial and tank like they should everything would be right with me.
  • The Versteeg deal makes alot of sense, if you believe the rumour that he demanded a trade. You don't want to keep someone around who doesn't want to be there. Got reasonable draft picks for him too.
  • Never heard that he actually demanded a trade. Yes they still have a shot at a playoff spot but that window is closing quickly. Unless they go on a heater.
    Biggest problem in leaf land: They can't beat the teams they have to, to make it. Even if they did, It would only be one round.
    I would expect as it stands right now that Philly and Vancouver will be playing for the cup.
    Why Vancouver? you ask. Solid goaltending, Defence and 2 lines who can score on a regular basis. They are also a very fast team. This may finally be the year and they are due to make a trip to the final.

I know who I will be cheering for when the playoffs start.

What do the Leafs need? New ownership committed to winning, They need to clean house. Get rid of everyone and start over.
  • even if the leafs go on a heater they will not make the playoffs this year. They are still behind 3 other teams including Buffalo, and we all know how well they play against them Sabres!

I predict a Detroit vs Boston final with the Wings taking it in 6... Though the west is so up in the air right now, that any top 8 team could take a run at it with the right matchups...

I'm going out on a limb here and saying Vancouver will be out first/second round. :wink2:
  • reibs wrote: »
    I think that its obvious that these picks will certainly not yield lottery prospects.... And I admit Kessel is soft..... If we could go back in time, I don't think ANYONE would pull that trigger again. However, when Burke made that trade, he made a gross overestimation of the teams success that year. There is no denying that. Had the Leafs finished where Burke thought (say 8th in east even), then IMO it was a good trade...Obviously not the case. So yes, he deserved to be bashed then.

Then we agree on that. My point was that his plan was to rebuild on the fly and he decided to reverse course a year and a half after making that franchise altering mistake. Therefore deserving more bashing. That is all.

reibs wrote: »
    GAWD I can't wait for the Habnots to join the crappy sens in the basement in the next few years.... I just hope by then Burke has figured out which direction is north....

I like you, so I must implore you not to hold your breath on either account.
  • AIPF wrote: »

Reimer is obviously staying, with giguere as a mentor. no moves there.

Defense: kaberle is for sure going within the next 2 weeks. Draft picks are an excellent "throw in" to entice a team to let go of a top 6 forward. especially a first rounder.

First off for a rebuilding team, going with Reimer and the Monster (Giguere is a free agent at the end of the year iirc) is fine. But the jury is still out on whether they're a long term solution. For as much money as they have wasted on overpriced mediocre goalies the past few years, going young and cheap would be a good idea.

As far as Kaberle is concerned I have a feeling Boston will do them a favour and give Toronto back their number 1 pick and a prospect for Kaberle and the number 1 they just got for Versteeg. This gives Toronto the opportunity to tank for their benefit. Still overpaying on Boston's part in my opinion but they are going all out for the Cup. I also would predict they don't get past the second round. Adding too many new parts at the deadline is not a proven recipe for success.
  • First off for a rebuilding team, going with Reimer and the Monster (Giguere is a free agent at the end of the year iirc) is fine. But the jury is still out on whether they're a long term solution. For as much money as they have wasted on overpriced mediocre goalies the past few years, going young and cheap would be a good idea.

As far as Kaberle is concerned I have a feeling Boston will do them a favour and give Toronto back their number 1 pick and a prospect for Kaberle and the number 1 they just got for Versteeg. This gives Toronto the opportunity to tank for their benefit. Still overpaying on Boston's part in my opinion but they are going all out for the Cup. I also would predict they don't get past the second round. Adding too many new parts at the deadline is not a proven recipe for success.

Well you being a habs fan, and me being a bruins fan, we shall see.

I would love to do a prop bet on your playoff predictions.

We have the best goaltender in the game. The habs are full of mediocre talent at best.

meeeehhh goaltender, good defense and a lack luster forward problem has them not making it past the first round. if Gionta and Gomez are your best forwards, then all i can say to that is.... LOL:laugh:
  • Next season . . . a new team to cheer for . . .

Not sure you can bash Burke for the KEssel deal, and then bash him again for reversing course. Here's why . . .

The Kessel deal was supposed to have them become a playoff contender right away. You can criticize that concept if you like, and I did. The alternative is to build through draft picks, and go through a few losing seasons.

With the failure of the concept stated above, it would be foolish in the extreme to continue on that failing course of action beyond this season. They are obviously forced to "blow it up" at this point.

So the criticism should be reserved for not having done this instead of the Kessel deal, not for doing what he's doing atm.

Do not think there is any way in HELL that the Leafs are getting back that first round pick in a Kaberle deal. Not unless Burke really IS God . . .
    We have the best goaltender in the game.

Is that the same guy who was 17-18 last season and ended the season backing up Tukka Rask? Yeah, no doubter between the pipes.

EDIT: Just looked it up and Thomas save percentage the last four games is .866. Ruh-roh Raggy!

AIPF wrote: »
    meeeehhh goaltender, good defense and a lack luster forward problem has them not making it past the first round. if Gionta and Gomez are your best forwards, then all i can say to that is.... LOL:laugh:

All that adds up to an 8-2 record against the Bruins since the smurfs came to town. 8-1 before the knuckle draggers took over last game btw. That shit don't fly in the playoffs.
  • Is that the same guy who was 17-18 last season and ended the season backing up Tukka Rask? Yeah, no doubter between the pipes.

EDIT: Just looked it up and Thomas save percentage the last four games is .866. Ruh-roh Raggy!

All that adds up to an 8-2 record against the Bruins since the smurfs came to town. 8-1 before the knuckle draggers took over last game btw. That shit don't fly in the playoffs.

quoting stats from last season is just silly.

you guys got your asses killed in the last game, the habs are weak.

dont even get me started on subban.. im not racist, but that guy doesnt even belong in the NHL.

anyways, this thread is off topic and as the saying goes:

arguing on the internet is alot like the special olympics... even if you win, you are still retarded.
    quoting stats from last season is just silly.

you guys got your asses killed in the last game, the habs are weak.

dont even get me started on subban.. im not racist, but that guy doesnt even belong in the NHL.

All of the above is retarded.

fyp

i hear ya! im not racist either but lets get jamal mayers and inginla out of the bigs too!!

what??
  • I think one can dislike Subban, whether for his playing style or some perceived "attitude", without being a racist.

Me? I like the kid. One of the few bright spots for the Habs . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    I think one can dislike Subban, whether for his playing style or some perceived "attitude", without being a racist.

Agreed, but he line "doesn't even belong in the NHL" either indicates latent racism or complete ignorance.
  • Can we take Subban on the Leafs? We will give back Lebda AND Finger... 2 for 1 is a steal for the habs!
  • True Habs fans and armchair GM's LOL

If you really think the Habs will get out of the first round of the playoffs then I would like some of what you are smoking.

There is a problem in the Habs Dressing room. All centered around Mr Subban and his lack of respect. Documented on HNIC and all of the sports stations.

It's got nothing to do with his race but personally I don't like the guy and I sure as hell am glad He is not wearing a Leafs Jersey.
    Price is not a true proven goaltender and will calf during the play offs.
    Boston is not going anywhere either. Sorry. Philly is the kid on the block to beat for sure. And I can't see anyone doing it this year.

As far as picking Detroit. Too Old and will not have the legs by the time they get to the Canucks in the western final.