2010 Winter Olympics

Comments

• Milo wrote: »
    So . . . Hockey Canada felt the need to apologize for the way our Women's Team celebrated their Gold Medal victory last night. Apparently, it is inappropriate to drink beer and champagne, and smoke cigars after a winning the biggest prize in your sport. Who knew? IOC officials were also upset that the Ladies tried to hijack a Zamboni.

If it were me, Hockey Canada's response would have ben very brief:

FUCK YOU . . . they won the Gold . . . Zamboni rides for everyone.

And a big "up yours" to the reporters who hung around 45 minutes after the medals and photo-ops hoping to find a little dirt. Yellow journalism at it's finest.

WAY TO GO LADIES.

The only thing I agree with them taking issue with is the 18 year old on the team that was drinking, as it's illegal. That part has to stay in the dressing room, not out in a public venue. But yeah, screw the prick that took the pics.
  • What's the drinking age in BC? If it's 18, then screw 'em. If not, I will concede the point, but still say screw 'em . . .
  • If you are old enough to vote and/or go to war for your country then you should be old enough to drink, and besides, as long as it is ok with her guardian/parent it shouldnt matter a damn bit, no matter the legal age.

*Edit: I do not disagree with your point about this either Cerb, and the difference between being in public or private functions makes a difference for sure. I know that the mass public perception will be that this was poor role modeling, and inappropriate. I however would not hesitate to say that in all sports competitions this happens, and is often shown on the highlight reel. Super Bowl, Grey Cup, Stanley Cup ... and those shown celebrating are not always all of age. This is just the petty and spiteful action of those angry at themselves for not winning a game.

All those girls earned the right to celebrate and relish in the fact that it was on home ice. Way to enjoy the moment they worked so hard for!!!
    *End edit

People will try to do anything they can to dampen a happy moment for others. It was probably some angry American reporter who is just right pissed off that the US couldn't get one in our goal.....even with the 2 or 3 2 man advantages they had.

On a different note, my son told me that the medals for 2010 were made from recycled computer parts? If so, I think that is pretty cool :) Anyone hear about that?

2 Hockey games tonight! Wooooo
  • Sharantyr wrote: »
    If you are old enough to vote and/or go to war for your country then you should be old enough to drink, and besides, as long as it is ok with her guardian/parent it shouldnt matter a damn bit, no matter the legal age.

People will try to do anything they can to dampen a happy moment for others. It was probably some angry American reporter who is just right pissed off that the US couldn't get one in our goal.....even with the 2 or 3 2 man advantages they had.

On a different note, my son told me that the medals for 2010 were made from recycled computer parts? If so, I think that is pretty cool :) Anyone hear about that?

2 Hockey games tonight! Wooooo

This is why you are the best female CPF poster in Canada . . . ^-^

Although they might have some scrap metal in them, the gold and silver medals are mostly silver. There are IOC content requirements for the medals.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Although they might have some scrap metal in them, the gold and silver medals are mostly silver. There are IOC content requirements for the medals.

True. But I think what Shar was getting at was that the Silver and Gold used came from precious metal recycling programs (PC's and other electronics), rather than simply mining "X" amount that they needed. That strikes me as being something they probably would have done in an effort to "green" the Games a little.

Nice (BS) feel good story, if true.
  • Milo wrote: »
    What's the drinking age in BC? If it's 18, then screw 'em. If not, I will concede the point, but still say screw 'em . . .
    Sharantyr wrote: »
    If you are old enough to vote and/or go to war for your country then you should be old enough to drink, and besides, as long as it is ok with her guardian/parent it shouldnt matter a damn bit, no matter the legal age.

BC drinking age is 19 (not that it stopped me in high school).

Shar, I agree with your sentiment, but the Olympics, for good or bad, are supposed to be accessable to everyone and provide pride for people of all ages. I have no problem with people, in their own homes or private functions, drinking underage. That's their choice. The problem is taking it to a public venue. Then it's breaking the law and showing kids that it's ok.

Sorry, minor rant. Continue on with the Canada Is Awesome thread :)
  • Gold medal game for Womens Curling to start right away.
    Canada goes to gold medal race in the Mens Team Pursuit (women eliminated by USA).
    Mens Hockey tonight. USA 6 Fin 1
    CAN/SVK TBD

and if I am not mistaken the Men curl tonight also? what else am I missing?

Looks like I missed a few speed skating events as well, where it looks like Canadians can get 3 more medals. Can't believe its almost over!
    Gold medal game for Womens Curling to start right away.
    Canada goes to gold medal race in the Mens Team Pursuit (women eliminated by USA).
    Mens Hockey tonight. USA 6 Fin 1
    CAN/SVK TBD

and if I am not mistaken the Men curl tonight also? what else am I missing?

Looks like I missed a few speed skating events as well, where it looks like Canadians can get 3 more medals. Can't believe its almost over!

Men's Curling is tomorrow I believe.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Men's Curling is tomorrow I believe.

Yup
  • Our Father, who art in GM Place, Hockey is our game. Our boys will come, Thy will be done, on the ice as it is in the stands. Give us this day our hockey sticks, and forgive us our penalties, as we forgive those who cross-check against us. Lead us not to elimination, but deliver us to victory. For ours is the Spirit, the Power, and the Glory of the game, forever and ever. Amen
  • Can 6 Swe 4
    10th end
    3 rocks left
    Sweds have hammer
    Canada has 3 rocks in the rings.......

sheesh

Looks like we are going to 11th Canada with the hammer.
    Can 6 Swe 4
    10th end
    3 rocks left
    Sweds have hammer
    Canada has 3 rocks in the rings.......

sheesh

Looks like we are going to 11th Canada with the hammer.

we sucked ass on the 10th end, and things arent looking good with 2 throws left for us in the 11th...

come on girls...
  • gg canada. :(
  • Steal of 1 by the Sweds for the win.

GG Girls. Congrats on Silver!
  • Unreal. I fucking called it last week when they started. They played like this all week. Let everyone hang around until the last end and hope they could make the shots. I knew it was gonna cost them, I just hoped it was the China game that was the bad one. Unfrigginreal.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Unreal. I fucking called it last week when they started. They played like this all week. Let everyone hang around until the last end and hope they could make the shots. I knew it was gonna cost them, I just hoped it was the China game that was the bad one. Unfrigginreal.

I couldn't agree more.

Im so disapointed in these girls. :mad:
  • I wouldn't say I'm dissappointed in them, or even how they played all week. It just seemed almost like they were playing too Canadian: play nice, be friendly, everyone deserves a chance to win.
  • That is how our skip is known to play. It is unfortunate that she missed the chance to win the game not once but twice. Those are shots they know they should not have missed.

Time to switch gears for the hockey game anyways.

Under 5 mins left ... this can NOT go to a shoot out!!!

longest 5 mins ever! gah

All I can say is HOLY CRAP!

GG....USA Here we come! Double gold on home ice will be orgasmic.
  • How the fuck did that not go in?! Wow did we get lucky in that last minute against the Slovaks. Unreal. Not our best effort today in our two best sports. Better come to play tomorrow and Sunday.
  • +1 Two shots to win the game and she blows easy ones she should have made all day. Brutal. Incredible choke. Credit to the Swedes. They made the right call everytime in the last two ends and let Bernard blow it.
  • And we are back to the old "lose Gold" rather than "win Silver".

On to the hockey game . . . am I the only one still waiting for the inevitable Sidney Crosby break-out game? I will not say the kid has been invisible in this tourney, but he has certainly not been a major factor, either. Some of it can be attributed to the focus of opposing defenses on shutting his line down, but honestly . . . does he have so much as a point in either of the last two games?

Come on Sid . . .
  • moose wrote: »
    +1 Two shots to win the game and she blows easy ones she should have made all day. Brutal. Incredible choke. Credit to the Swedes. They made the right call everytime in the last two ends and let Bernard blow it.

+2. Bernard shit the bed, big time. C'mon Kevin Martin!

As for our Men's Hockey team. I think it'll be a REALLY close game, with us squeaking out a late goal to win. Our they'll kick our ass. One or the other.

Either way, it'll be EPIC. This MIGHT even be remembered as the modern equivalent to Game 8 of the Summit Series in '72, especially if somebody pulls a Paul Henderson late in the game.
  • Holy crap! What a take out in the 9th by the Swedish skip. Kills all four stones. This kid is friggin good.
  • 2 Golds within a few minutes, fantastic! We're running away with it. 2 more gold possibilities...
  • compuease wrote: »
    2 Golds within a few minutes, fantastic! We're running away with it. 2 more gold possibilities...

+1 Awesome. In long track we led coast to coast but in snowboard the guy was faster down the slope by more than 1 second for another ass-crushing final.

Good chance in bobsled too...
  • We now hold the record for most gold's by a host country w 12. Our next 2 gold's will give us the record for most golds in a winter games.

The Associated Press: Canada's Olympic gold rush breaks 2 records
  • Curling GOLD it is :)
  • men ship it.

GG to martin, the man that I share my hairline with :)
  • So barring some miracle sweep in the 50K tomorrow by Norway or Canada, we'll finish third in the medals and take home the "not so official but always been the way people have looked at it" win by having the most Gold medals.

And I'm just waiting for the USA propaganda machine to hit again like it did in 1996 when Donavan Bailey broke the world record in the 100m, only to have the USA proclaim Micheal Johnson "the fastest man alive" for his 200m & 400m wins, even though the 100m winner has always been crowned with that title.

Bring it on! Our media machine will kick your ass and make you say thank you for it! :)