Doomsday Preppers

13»

Comments

• Invisible piano wire across the road at neck height -> 20+ nice bikes for me!

and 20 nice and cleanly severed heads to mount on the road to your compound to increase the "Whoa, uh yeah we don't need to go here!" factor for future interlopers. Good thinking. Reef for PFC apocalypse team captain.
  • Translation:It's the most common everyday small rifle you can find. Nothing special. (my favourite)

Lol, actually that part I knew. Shooting GWs bigger guns that many times would be a recipe for shoulder pain and bruises.
  • I think we have entered a discussion with perhaps too many variables that could remain dynamic throughout. Is there a government? How strong are they at this point? Are they able to help? Is the problem a one time event like an asteroid hitting the planet? Is there a risk of viral infection or zombifying type thing?

Doesn't it defeat the concept of preparedness if you hammer out the details in advance?
  • Kristy wrote: »
    Doesn't it defeat the concept of preparedness if you hammer out the details in advance?

True, but it'd be hard to prepare for everything. Guns can't solve all problems Kristy. Despite Homer's teachings.

Actually, I'm gonna take that back. At the end of the day, a gun can solve all of your problems. Just not in a good way.
  • Some great discussion and arguments in this thread from 2008 originally... Kristy was definitely anti gun then.

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f12/guns-15613/index8.html
  • True, but it'd be hard to prepare for everything. Guns can't solve all problems Kristy. Despite Homer's teachings.

Actually, I'm gonna take that back. At the end of the day, a gun can solve all of your problems. Just not in a good way.

Oh, I don't know . . . good for you, bad for them. Unless you shoot like Kristy did . . . :D
  • at the risk of sounding like a prepper myself, here's my contribution:

unlimited water > bottled water.

if you are in the market, this is the one to get:

Katadyn Pocket Water Filter - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
  • compuease wrote: »
    Some great discussion and arguments in this thread from 2008 originally... Kristy was definitely anti gun then.

She's been drinking small town American water since then

#fkobama
  • compuease wrote: »
    Some great discussion and arguments in this thread from 2008 originally... Kristy was definitely anti gun then.

I wonder how I'll have changed with first-hand experience with hunters?
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    She's been drinking small town American water since then

#fkobama

Actually GW and are avoiding eye-contact right now because he made a snide comment about Obama...

#reading thread now..bbiab
    Normally anarchy and freedom of choice rank pretty highly with me...but in this instance I can't help but think that your qualifying remarks of "(within the law)" and "(again, within legal bounds)" are a little naive sounding. The law is not infalliable, and reasonably often it is not even a great guideline for the general needs OR wants of the people it restrains or enables.

Guns are only used for killing, 'deterrents' are ineffective and I just can't see a reason to allow guns for the general population... I do feel that there are great reasons to disallow them.
    Kristy wrote: »
    Easy there snarky-pants ;) I'm not debating prohibition, I'm waxing poetic about my own contradictions between wanting to allow the competent and intelligent persons (like yourself) to decide for themselves, and eliminating (as much as possible) an object that serves no positive or productive function and a better balance between these two.

I am kinda disappointed; I was expecting some venom and vitriol..that is the entirety of my contribution to that thread.

Pretty simple difference between then and now. I grew up in the city, and had never met a hunter. I still champion restricted gun ownership here...you should hear my rants about the conceal and carry permit holders, and handgun enthusiasts.
  • Holy crap. It's Milo's Birthday!!!
    Happy Birthday!
    Lol, actually that part I knew. Shooting GWs bigger guns that many times would be a recipe for shoulder pain and bruises.

Step 1.

Become and expert at shooting the 22.

You want to become an expert shooting a 22. There is no better starting caliber. When I learned to shoot you could buy a brick of 500 for $20. You can get a low cost scope. You learn not to flinch. Shoot 20 bricks of 22 LR and you'll be a much better shot. Best Bang for the buck. The skills you learn shooting 22 will translate to bigger calibers.
  • Step 1.

Become and expert at shooting the 22.

You want to become an expert shooting a 22. There is no better starting caliber. When I learned to shoot you can buy a brick of 500 for $20. You can get a low cost scope. You learn not to flinch. Shoot 20 bricks of 22 LR and you'll be a much better shot. Best Bang for the buck. The skills you learn shooting 22 will translate to bigger calibers.

Hold your breath when you pull the trigger.

That's all I've got.
  • Hold your breath when you pull the trigger.

That's all I've got.

I was taught, breath normally, let out half your breath, hold it. Squeeze the trigger between your heart beats, don't pull it.
  • The real question is "Will we be able to find bullets?" We're seriously 0/5 today.

MOAR tips Reef!
    The real question is "Will we be able to find bullets?" We're seriously 0/5 today.

MOAR tips Reef!

You should ask Reef to pm them to you so your esteemed opponent doesn't find out.

MOAR tips!

Decaf.
    The real question is "Will we be able to find bullets?" We're seriously 0/5 today.

MOAR tips Reef!

Is it still the case that the general consumer in the US is experiencing ammo shortages?
  • Yes, very much so. GW has hunting ammo to doomsday, but the 2 22s are rarely used. We're 0/10 now.
  • We found one place charging double the price and limiting customers to 4 boxes so there is a chance they may still have some tomorrow morning when we can get over there.

MOAR tips Reef!

When we were kids we used to go around to empty parking lots. Find old lead wheel weights that fell off cars and melt them down to cast our own Bullets and pellets and lead soldiers.

It probably caused brain damage. Don't do that!

Cheapest Center fire ammo.

Right now the best deal in centre fire ammo is the good old Russian 7.62x39.

Yep

SKS and AK 47 ammo.

Soviets are switching to the new AK-74 style 5.45x39 and later, so the old 7.62x39 ammo. is turning up in surplus.

Handloading (reloading old cartridges) might be more expensive than buying cheap russian surplus ammo.

To get good at shooting you need to shoot a lot!

We used to shoot a lot of BB's and pellets. Air guns are even cheaper than 22's to shoot. Modern air guns shoot at 1200+ fps.

The skills learned shooting pellets translate to bigger guns well.

Summary:

Learn to shoot with cheap ammo.
    Consider getting a pellet gun. Seriously!
  • How do I upload pkrfce9 gun range video?
  • YouTube..IMMEDIATELY!
    You can answer in the Prepper thread if you want, but do you really think that the West coast slipping into the Pacific is a realistic possibility? (Per GTA's thread)
    I've wondered a few times if buying a huge chunk of land on the east of the fault would be a great investment in my children's/grandchildren's future. ;)

I certainly can't claim to know one way or another, but I watched a documentary on earthquakes that I am sure would at least scare the fuck out of anyone living on the west coast. Scared me and I'm way over here!

Not "slipping into the pacific" mind you, but I believe scientists are in relative agreement that they are overdue for a "high magnitude earthquake of epic proportions." The jist of it is that every few hundred years that area gets butt raped, and it hasn't happened in a few hundred years.
    The Cascadia fault—also known in more paranoid circles as the Cascadia Subduction Zone—runs offshore from somewhere near the top of Vancouver Island to northern California. Over the past five millennia it has ruptured with terrifying frequency. It will certainly rupture again, but this time with a string of 21st-century cities—high-rising, dense-with-people, globally interdependent regional capitals—stacked squarely in its impact zone.

Based on historical averages, the southern end of the fault—from Cape Mendocino, California, to Newport, Oregon—has a large earthquake every 240 years. For the northern end—from mid-Oregon to mid-
Vancouver Island—the average “recurrence interval” is 480 years, according to a recent Canadian study. And while the north may have only half as many jolts, they tend to be full-size disasters in which the entire fault breaks from end to end.

(source)
    Every few hundred years, British Columbia is rumbled by a subduction earthquake—an event that can measure up to a magnitude of 9. The west coast has already seen 13 of them over the past 6,500 years.

“In the next 50 years, the estimates that have been calculated are between 10 and 15 per cent,” he says. “We’ve seen many, many of these over the past centuries.
    (source)
    With a time line of 41 events the science team at OSU has now calculated that the California–Oregon end of Cascadia’s fault has a 37 percent chance of producing a major earthquake in the next 50 years. The odds are 10 percent that an even larger quake will strike the upper end, in a full-margin rupture, within 50 years. Given that the last big quake was 312 years ago, one might argue that a very bad day on the Cascadia Subduction Zone is ominously overdue. It appears that three centuries of silence along the fault has been entirely misleading. The monster is only sleeping.
    (source)
  • Town was going crazy though in a "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!"

Aim lower?
  • Good thinking. Reef for PFC apocalypse team captain.

Okay here is the plan:

Zombie attack:

Battle Rifle:

Everyone gets an SKS battle rifle! They can also be used to take down deer with the 7.62x39.

The SKS is Semi-auto fire, 20" barrel and a bayonet

The SKS is a semi-auto that has been obsolete since 1947 when the AK-47 was introduced.

The AK-47 uses the same round and is full auto with an 18" barrel.

Why the obsolete SKS?

It's the cheapest anti-zombie firepower with range.

We can get 15 SKS's for $1799. You get get a good one for $200 easy.

Cases of 7.62x39 Russian are cheap, at 20 cents a round. They fit into 10 (or 5) round stripper clips. It's easy to carry 30 or more stripper clips in bandoleers.

Everyone will need about 3 cases of 7.62x39.

Handguns:

Hand guns are a personal thing.

In WW I and WW II the Canadians didn't have an official hand gun. You can use whatever you want to buy and bring. Personally I'd rather have a bunch more clips of ammo for my battle rifle than a hand gun.

Feedback?

Edit - Obviously a .223/5.56mm C7 is much better. But everyone can afford an SKS.
  • Feedback?

In.
  • SKS is more "robust than the C-7, and likely to be far more durable. The fact that it's rounds match the AK-47 is a bonus in that those babies will be everywhere for the taking when the shit hits the fan, either in stores to be looted or bodies to be taken from.

Handguns are for folks too queasy to get up close and personal. All you really need is a BAT with a knife blade embedded into the end of it.

All this being said, if I am coming along, Bfillmaff better be doling out rifle training because I definitely need the practice.