Doomsday Preppers

Comments

• GTA Poker wrote: »
    #carefulfortheuzis

milo, you may be getting hustled

I am almost certain of it . . . especially since she has not answered my specific question about how much she has practiced SINCE that target. that being said, it is worth getting hustled to see how creative she can be with both my signature and undertitle if she does in fact win.
    Kristy wrote: »
    Back tracking? ;)

I will get you more info than you could possibly want about the gun when GW gets home.

Rules to follow?

NOT IN THE LEAST.

I think that Bfillmaff and I will have an arrangement on weapon availability, so it is just a question of when.

My best window is the last weekend in September (27th/28th). I have a family wedding that I am involved with in terms of preparations (jack and jill shower, crap like that). If that suits on your end, and if Bfillmaff can accommodate me, then I suggest the following rules.

We will both shoot at a distance of 100m. I am going to assume that your range will be 100 yds. (and that is fine) if you go to one. If not, please use 110 yds at whatever property you will be shooting on.

We will shoot 20 rounds as follows:

Weapons must be as close as possible to each other in terms of calibre, style, etc.

10 rounds each at two different targets.
    Best 5 rounds on either target (choose your best one) will be the determining factor.
    In case of a tie between our best 5 rounds, then we go the 6th, 7th, etc. until we have a winner.

Loser will be required to change their undertitle and signature on the Forum for a period of 7 days (1 week) as dictated by the victor.

Anything to add, or does this suit you?

I chose 100m because the range that has been suggested (near St Catharines area) maxes out at that distance. I assume this is not a problem?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Loser will be required to change their undertitle and signature on the Forum for a period of 7 days (1 week) as dictated by the victor.
    Keep it clean tho..

Oh damn to hell with that. Would take half the fun away. Carry on!
  • Side bets? Favorite? Even money? over/under on some innocent getting injured?
  • Pretty sure I will NOT shoot myself, and I doubt Bfillmaff is dumb enough to get out of the bunker once the range goes hot. I make no promises for random stray wildlife.

Likely even money . . . my training is dated but, when I was shooting I was accurate out to 600 yds using Canadian forces rifle qualifications. Reservists were never given the testing required for marksman, but most of us were close enough for jazz.

Kristy has likely done more shooting since that pic, so the deciding factor in terms of advantage will be how much practice, and how much time spent dialing in the rifle she will use.
  • How did I miss this!

To keep this honest, Milo will be shooting my wife's gun.

Still betting on Milo though.
  • Milo's definitely the favourite...
    I have gone shooting only a few times/lifetime. Never with the gun I'll be using, and only twice at targets like this.

But I like a challenge.

Any issue with choosing a middleman like maybe Jeff or Bill to hold on to videos and reveal when we both have shot? We're going to get a load of firewood, so it'd be great timing.
  • I am willing to trust that you will be honest in your reporting if you will reciprocate. If comp is willing to act as publisher we can agree to send our videos to him, and he can publish the results in a separate thread once both videos are submitted.
  • Kristy wrote: »
    Milo's definitely the favourite...

Wow . . . I think that's the first time those words have been posted on this site.
  • Slow Zombies- One Post-apocalyptic Time!
    I LOVE the crazies on the show, they're amazing!

Do you live in a city? What are your plans after the first week? What if there's no rain? What if it is cold?
    More on your vegetation point at the end of this post.
    (sorry to "re-rail" your thread).

i live in the city which is obviously not ideal.

after a week, i may be screwed if i don't get enough rain. i guess it's possible to steal from other water heater tanks in the neighbourhood. i should be able to survive the cold somewhat, but not for long.

anything long term i wouldn't be able to survive. a few weeks at best would be all i could hope for. after that, i'd have to venture out to find more food and water.

i'm looking into getting solar panels for my roof. that could definitely be a help. i've also considered that in really desperate situations, would it be possible to grow food on my roof/in my attic? for example, i break a hole to let sunlight in but it's still sheltered enough that it can't be seen from the street. i think it's possible.

EDIT: oh yeah, i'm really interested in your self-made solar panels project. please post on here if you ever do that.
  • With Lake Huron about 3 blocks away from us water wouldn't be that big a problem. I've got roughly 10 cords of wood outside so heat wouldn't be a problem. Two dogs that are incredibly good at protecting the property eliminates others from taking what we've got and possibly feeds the dogs.

Electricity would be a problem, but we've gone without that for several days in the past, can't see why we couldn't go longer, although I like hot showers.

Wife won't let me own a gun. Probably a good thing during safe times, might regret it if Kristy's doomsday occurs.

Having one of the worlds largest nuclear power facilities a 20min drive away could be problematic, however a friend of mine who's in charge of managing 'problems' out there continues to tell me that Canadian Nuclear power is the safest in the world.
  • so apparently an asteroid killing us isn't that unlikely:

Nasa will 'miss goal to find 90% of nearby potentially dangerous asteroids' | Science | theguardian.com

according to the article, NASA has found 95% of the largest and potentially most destructive asteroids, but has only located 10% of all "near-earth objects" 140 meters and larger.

for frame of reference, the asteroid that just recently crashed in Russia was only 18 meters in diameter and had the force of 30 atomic bombs.
  • trigs wrote: »
    (sorry to "re-rail" your thread).

i live in the city which is obviously not ideal.

after a week, i may be screwed if i don't get enough rain. i guess it's possible to steal from other water heater tanks in the neighbourhood. i should be able to survive the cold somewhat, but not for long.

anything long term i wouldn't be able to survive. a few weeks at best would be all i could hope for. after that, i'd have to venture out to find more food and water.

i'm looking into getting solar panels for my roof. that could definitely be a help. i've also considered that in really desperate situations, would it be possible to grow food on my roof/in my attic? for example, i break a hole to let sunlight in but it's still sheltered enough that it can't be seen from the street. i think it's possible.

EDIT: oh yeah, i'm really interested in your self-made solar panels project. please post on here if you ever do that.

Re-rail away! One thing I noticed was that your plan is really "end of days".
    I don't remember the exact particulars, but wasn't the power out for three weeks during the ice storm in Quebec? In cold climates I always feel like 1 month is the basic emergency goal, and aside from water storage, it is an easy goal to meet.

On the solar panel thing...there are great instructions and videos online--if you don't want to wait, but I will definitely post a TR of building one.

Bill, I felt the same as your partner when I first moved here. I've loosened up slightly to allow one gun on our main property--the rest at the hunting land, but tbh that has more to do with the coyotes around here than prepper stuff.

Would either you or Jeff be willing to hang on to our vids until we both get a chance to shoot?
  • My house is passive solar... Ezgame
    Bill, I felt the same as your partner when I first moved here. I've loosened up slightly to allow one gun, but tbh that has more to do with the coyotes around here than prepper stuff.

Would either you or Jeff be willing to hang on to our vids until we both get a chance to shoot?

I figure it had something to do with the fact that I wanted a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum with a 6" barrel, or the M24 SAW I was using in the video I posted earlier ITT. We had a ton of coyotes around here last year too, I kind of liked seeing them. Town was going crazy though in a "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!" kind of way. Haven't seen one this year. Not sure what happened. Hope somebody didn't kill them all.

Yeah, I'm sure one of us can hold onto the vids but I think Milo said he trusts you and he seems like a trustworthy bloke so I'm not sure if it's necessary.
  • what's the betting line?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    My house is passive solar... Ezgame

did you do it yourself or was the house designed like that?
    Back tracking? ;)

I will get you more info than you could possibly want about the gun when GW gets home.

Rules to follow?

Hello Canadians. The specifics of the rifle Kristy is going to use for this competition are as follows. It is a Ruger 10/22 semi automatic rifle, synthetic stock stainless steel barrel open sites 25 shot banana clip.
  • ^^ American gobbledegook itt
    ...can someone translate to French?
  • trigs wrote: »
    did you do it yourself or was the house designed like that?

It was build this way in 1981 -- it's known as an envelope house
  • All you are doing by gathering all those guns, food, water, supplies is making it easier for the biggest, strongest guy(s) near you to come take it all away!
  • That's why I married the biggest and strongest guy. ;)
  • hehe that bit was from louis ck i think.

but seriously though, if its the end of the world and im at a farm prepping food and guns etc, and a gang of 20+ people show up on motorcycles and wielding AR-15 type weapons, chance of dying to them is like 100% and they get like 5 years worth of food and water. Im going with underground hidden bunker everyday. They cant kill or take what they cant see!
  • Monoxide wrote: »
    hehe that bit was from louis ck i think.

but seriously though, if its the end of the world and im at a farm prepping food and guns etc, and a gang of 20+ people show up on motorcycles and wielding AR-15 type weapons, chance of dying to them is like 100% and they get like 5 years worth of food and water. Im going with underground hidden bunker everyday. They cant kill or take what they cant see!

With a negative Nelly attitude like that you're surely not going to live.

You're prepping guns. You just need lots of trigger fingers on lots of triggers. Sure lots of people are going to die, but it just becomes a matter of attrition at that point.

Hidden bunker isn't a bad idea, I would feel kind of trapped though.
  • Its more survival, like in all apocalypse movies and tv shows the most dangerous group has aggressive psycho crazies with guns, generally are in a gang of some kind with a large # of members.

At least if you have some sort of hidden area, its not like you would even need to stay in the bunker 24/7, its more of like a panic room-ish type place and a secret storage area for the supplies. The less people you have in your group the more it remains a secret, also lasts longer.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a huge disaster type situation kinda like the walking dead, having a large base that is clearly visible cannot be the best solution unless you literally have a small army of skilled shooters defending it.
  • I think we have entered a discussion with perhaps too many variables that could remain dynamic throughout. Is there a government? How strong are they at this point? Are they able to help? Is the problem a one time event like an asteroid hitting the planet? Is there a risk of viral infection or zombifying type thing?

I mean, this really changes your approach to things. If there's chances of infection from others, I'm heading to unpopulated area and hoping for the best. If there's still a government in place and they are doing something to fix things, I might sit tight and try and hold out.

All of this being said, I didn't make it past day two of Scouts so I'm not likely going to fare well.
  • I agree, would almost want to "set up" a base story of a particular disaster, with all or most of the many variables set in stone. We would have answers to any questions about the current world state. Then it would be interesting to see how people would react. Obviously a nuclear apocalypse or a yellowstone park supervolcano would create a far different post-apoc world then say, a superbug flu/disease killing off 98% of people or something. I think id rather go with a realistic type of scenario rather then a zombie outbreak.
  • Hello Canadians. The specifics of the rifle Kristy is going to use for this competition are as follows. It is a Ruger 10/22 semi automatic rifle, synthetic stock stainless steel barrel open sites 25 shot banana clip.
    Kristy wrote: »
    ^^ American gobbledegook itt
    ...can someone translate to French?

Translation:It's the most common everyday small rifle you can find. Nothing special. (my favourite)
  • Monoxide wrote: »
    hehe that bit was from louis ck i think.

Invisible piano wire across the road at neck height -> 20+ nice bikes for me!