Doomsday Preppers

I went to sleep last night watching this show...anybody wanna rock a tinfoil hat and talk through it with me?

Sometimes, it feels like some form of epic collapse in our lifetime is inevitable...and when the shit hits the fan I'm 3-hours from a major city centre with a stockpile of food, guns, and a reasonable start on the wealth of required knowledge.

So, ever think about it?
What do you think is most likely to be the root cause of our end of days?
What, if any, are your plans?
What actions have you taken to protect yourself/survive?
What skills do you have, which would you like to acquire..
How long do you think you survive?

And, generally, why would you be an asset to my secure compound?

Comments

• Kristy wrote: »

So, ever think about it?

Not often, but I think a lot of the preppers will be surprised at how quickly they will be overwhelmed and killed.
    Some tiny little "bug" will take us out.
    I have no plans, as I do not see it happening this century.
    None.
    I have outdoor survival skills, including knowledge of how to dress game. I would err on the side of caution in this process, so no one is dying from stuff I butcher.
    Depends on how fast I could get me and mine away from the GTA.
  • One of my friends has an older brother in the Midland Texas area who falls into the "prepper" category. He and his wife have walkie talkies, a small amount of survivalist type foodstuffs. They have a large (huge) stockpile of firearms, signals that they will spray paint in certain locations to let each other know where they will be in case of disaster.

When the shit hits the fan, and people get desperate enough, their home will be overwhelmed as "the mob" decides to take from the "ants".
  • I am going to write the perfect prepper post and troll the prepper boards. Help me finish this post!

It's the best of times and the worst of times.

Help it's already started!

A strange new virus has broken out where I live turning thousands every night into zombies!

The only normal people left are two bus loads of cheer leaders who's busses crashed into each other. In the fire the girls clothes were all burnt off.

What guns should we mail order if we have a $10,000 budget?

I was first thinking Ruger 10/22's since ammo is cheap and we get 1000's of zombies every night. But then I see russian 7.62x25 is about $500 for 1400 rounds.
  • I worked at a place once where a guy was a prepper. He died after several years of not leaving his home much. He drank all day, smoked and ate hungry man meals.

I'm sure he hadn't cleaned anything at any point for several years. There were cobwebs as thick as drapes covering everything. They were yellow from the cigarette smoke. There was a one inch layer of dust on everything, except pathways where he'd stumbled to and from various parts of the house. The bathroom was something I'd never, ever seen in my life. The guy who I was working with agreed we shouldn't enter it without a full biohazard suit on, but we chose not to do so regardless. The toilet was black with mold from top to bottom.

However, there were cases of dried food packs, cases of naptha cooking fuel, several very expensive tents/sleeping bags. Many empty gas cans. Cases of bottled water. You get the picture. It was everywhere from floor to ceiling.

There was also a large armory. I'd never seen anything like it. More ammunition than most gun stores would have in their inventory.

Thankfully I was only there for 1.5 days until the job got shut down in favour of gutting the place. I'll never forget that place.

I can fix computers.. Does that qualify me?

oh wait, no power, no computers... See ya all on the other side.... Survivalist nuts...
  • Well, if you can't hack it in the current society you may as well fantasize about a time when you become king for owning 100 cans of baked beans
    I went to sleep last night watching this show...anybody wanna rock a tinfoil hat and talk through it with me?

Sometimes, it feels like some form of epic collapse in our lifetime is inevitable...and when the shit hits the fan I'm 3-hours from a major city centre with a stockpile of food, guns, and a reasonable start on the wealth of required knowledge.

So, ever think about it?

my gf loves this show and wishes we'd start prepping. i rarely watch television but i enjoy this show too (even if just to laugh at some of the overly crazy people).

what will cause our end of days? there are so many to count that are possible. super volcano, solar flare (technically a coronal mass explosion), nuclear, biological, chemical, environmental, asteroid, close enough star going supernova, etc. etc. (yeah, i read about this crap for fun).

i have no set plans but my basement is pretty safe. only a couple small windows to board up if needed. have a ventilation hole for fresh air (but i'd need one of those air wall pump things if the air outside was contaminated). water in water heater would last us a week or so. i'm looking into having our rain water run into containers in the basement but it'll be expensive. we can some food here and there but we don't have a stock pile or anything (yet).

i have no survival skills whatsoever. don't even know how to use a gun nor do i own one (yet). i'd probably not survive very long at all yet for some reason i've always longed for some sort of apocalypse to happen just for a change. i'd enjoy it until i died i think.

as far as skills i'd want to learn, i'm mostly interested in surviving off the land in our environment. the fact that hardly anyone knows the edible plants and vegetation in their region seems crazy to me. knowing what to eat and how to catch small game i'd like to know.

last question is the best btw lol. i wouldn't be able to offer much outside of a level head and a practical approach to what we'd most likely have to deal with during the end of the world.

personally, i wouldn't be surprised if in the next 50 to 100 years some kind of shit hit the proverbial fan. i'm still hoping for zombies, but the slow moving kind.
  • Being a lowly, for the most part unmotivated unskilled coward I'd probably just grab one of the dogs (Ace probably, wife wouldn't want to be left with him) and walk right into the heart of whatever's happening and be done with it. Who the hell wants to fight the uphill battle.

However, if Kristy would protect me on her compound I can heat up a can of baked beans like nobodies business. That's my skills list.
  • Being a lowly, for the most part unmotivated unskilled coward I'd probably just grab one of the dogs (Ace probably, wife wouldn't want to be left with him) and walk right into the heart of whatever's happening and be done with it. Who the hell wants to fight the uphill battle.

However, if Kristy would protect me on her compound I can heat up a can of baked beans like nobodies business. That's my skills list.

i think a lot of people feel the same way as you bill. all i'll ask though is where's the fun in giving up? sure you might be tortured, raped, starved, etc. during the apocalypse, but at least you'd be really living your life as opposed to just waiting to die (like most people currently, myself included for the most part).

feel free to ignore me. i know my opinion is crazy when it comes to this stuff ;)

EDIT: maybe it's i'm incapable of changing my own life so i just long for the world to change it for me.
  • Sounds like beans are the new world currency. Screw the gold and silver nutjobs.
  • If society collapses I won't last the week without my meds so there's not much point in me prepping. I do not think it is unreasonable to prep though.

It is very interesting though how few people have even the most basic survival skills in today's western society... especially when it comes to eating. 99%+ of the population here will die because they won't know how to eat off the land.

If I had to guess I'd say it all starts with a major continent wide power outage initiated by a gigantic polar storm or foreign interest that lasts months.
  • If society collapses I won't last the week without my meds so there's not much point in me prepping.

It is very interesting though how few people have even the most basic survival skills in today's western society... especially when it comes to eating. 99%+ of the population here will die because they won't know how to eat off the land.

Do you really think that over 30 million Canadians would die from lack of nourishment?
  • I can build back end servers for banks and trade floors.

I can teach classes on "Big Data".

In a pinch I can "rough it" and drop down in stakes to play 1/2NL for short periods.

I can play an unbalanced 7 betting range at zoom poker.
  • GTA what would you feed your family come January? Remember you likely don't have a firearm cuz they are bad.

This is a total collapse we are talking about. My power outtage scenario would just be the trigger.

But maybe 99% was a stretch ;)
  • I had appointments all morning, and while I was there in person, I was here in spirit...completely fun way to occupy my thoughts! Thanks for the awesome posts.
    Milo wrote: »
    When the shit hits the fan, and people get desperate enough, their home will be overwhelmed as "the mob" decides to take from the "ants".

Patience, young Grasshopper?
    I am going to write the perfect prepper post and troll the prepper boards. Help me finish this post!

It's the best of times and the worst of times.

Help it's already started!

A strange new virus has broken out where I live turning thousands every night into zombies!

The only normal people left are two bus loads of cheer leaders who's busses crashed into each other. In the fire the girls clothes were all burnt off.

What guns should we mail order if we have a $10,000 budget?

I was first thinking Ruger 10/22's since ammo is cheap and we get 1000's of zombies every night. But then I see russian 7.62x25 is about $500 for 1400 rounds.

Is the "troll" that there are 1000's of zombies each night and you don't move?

GTA Poker wrote: »
    Well, if you can't hack it in the current society you may as well fantasize about a time when you become king for owning 100 cans of baked beans

Unless (and maybe even IF) an ER Doc joined the forum, here is the single most valuable CPF member. Vet, with access to antibiotics in peak physical fitness. GTA, I am prepared to offer you any of the non-blood-related women folk on the compound as well as the finest of housing and refreshment.

Edit: You can also have my Mom..I think she'd dig that.

trigs wrote: »
    my gf loves this show and wishes we'd start prepping. i rarely watch television but i enjoy this show too (even if just to laugh at some of the overly crazy people).

what will cause our end of days? there are so many to count that are possible. super volcano, solar flare (technically a coronal mass explosion), nuclear, biological, chemical, environmental, asteroid, close enough star going supernova, etc. etc. (yeah, i read about this crap for fun).

i have no set plans but my basement is pretty safe. only a couple small windows to board up if needed. have a ventilation hole for fresh air (but i'd need one of those air wall pump things if the air outside was contaminated). water in water heater would last us a week or so. i'm looking into having our rain water run into containers in the basement but it'll be expensive. we can some food here and there but we don't have a stock pile or anything (yet).

i have no survival skills whatsoever. don't even know how to use a gun nor do i own one (yet). i'd probably not survive very long at all yet for some reason i've always longed for some sort of apocalypse to happen just for a change. i'd enjoy it until i died i think.

as far as skills i'd want to learn, i'm mostly interested in surviving off the land in our environment. the fact that hardly anyone knows the edible plants and vegetation in their region seems crazy to me. knowing what to eat and how to catch small game i'd like to know.

last question is the best btw lol. i wouldn't be able to offer much outside of a level head and a practical approach to what we'd most likely have to deal with during the end of the world.

personally, i wouldn't be surprised if in the next 50 to 100 years some kind of shit hit the proverbial fan. i'm still hoping for zombies, but the slow moving kind.

Slow Zombies- One Post-apocalyptic Time!
    I LOVE the crazies on the show, they're amazing!

Do you live in a city? What are your plans after the first week? What if there's no rain? What if it is cold?
    More on your vegetation point at the end of this post.
    Being a lowly, for the most part unmotivated unskilled coward I'd probably just grab one of the dogs (Ace probably, wife wouldn't want to be left with him) and walk right into the heart of whatever's happening and be done with it. Who the hell wants to fight the uphill battle.

:Shockface: I woulda thought you'd be all over this one.

If society collapses I won't last the week without my meds so there's not much point in me prepping. I do not think it is unreasonable to prep though.

If I had to guess I'd say it all starts with a major continent wide power outage initiated by a gigantic polar storm or foreign interest that lasts months.
    GTA what would you feed your family come January? Remember you likely don't have a firearm cuz they are bad.

This is a total collapse we are talking about. My power outtage scenario would just be the trigger.

But maybe 99% was a stretch ;)

I don't think you're too terribly far off in say..a 5-10 year period.

FTR, I wasn't actually kidding about the "compound". My in-laws have 120 acres that back on to another 4-500 acres of state owned forest. They call it their hunting shack, and are not really preppers, but nearly everyone in the family hunts grouse, deer, duck each year, in a no-law society there is also bear, moose, and if you're really desperate, wolf. They have septic, well, huge fuel supply, lots of guns and ammo, ATV's, at least a year's worth of wood chopped and ready to burn, and are in a highly defensible location. They don't have the food supplies a prepper would, but given their high-level hunting abilities, the acres and acres of open, farmable land, and the massive quantity of wild rice in the area, I think they'd make a pretty great stand. (Though the thought of living with my in-laws makes me want to pull a WildBill).

Skills I'd like to acquire. I'm probably going deer hunting for the first time this year..I'm kind of excited to see if I can, not to mention the free meat for the family.

I'm a reasonable shot, but I should be better...here is my first ever target practice: from about the length of a football field.

292473_961004363599_1686746_n.jpg?oh=8a649b0477c9060b3524882de064e8d5&oe=54930771&__gda__=1418751631_03d45f1b69daead9e06143d00997db3b

Lastly, I'd like to learn how to can. My parents are amazing..they have a 25' long cold storage that they FILL each year with food from their garden, but somehow I never learned. It seems like a great way to save money and control the type of food you're eating.

To living off the land...I've read a lot about herbal remedies, but I've never tested any. That would be an interesting challenge.

To living without power...one of the projects I'm going to try this winter is building my own solar panel from easily found objects. How great would it be to be able to generate enough power to say...run a freezer in summer, or the pump for the well? GAME CHANGER.

I think, being already remote with not far to go to REAL isolation, my chances are reasonable for short-term survival. I think that if my IUD stays in place I have a 5-10 year life expectancy and if it doesn't, then-like most women, I die pretty quickly around childbirth or some sort of post-natal infection...say 2 years?

Ryan and I talk all the time about buying our own section of land somewhere just a smidge warmer, and building our own place..just to see if we can. I think it would be a really fun challenge.
  • No offence Kristy, but from 100 yards, that is TERRIBLE.
  • Milo wrote: »
    No offence Kristy, but from 100 yards, that is TERRIBLE.

Nope. You're wrong. There were 4 other novices, all who'd at least SOME experience...and I crushed them all. It was not close.

Maybe the measurement is wrong...wtf do I know about football?
  • Ooh! Let's compete..we'll set up a target. Video each us shooting at that std paper target, and post results...winner gets to change the loser's undertitle and signature for a week?
  • I would do it, but where? Not aware of any ranges open to non-members within two hours of my locale. Remember, please that I did have some training in my younger days, and at ranges considerably more distant than a football field.

Pretty sure this is a losing bet for you, assuming all variables are equal.
    Nope. You're wrong. There were 4 other novices, all who'd at least SOME experience...and I crushed them all. It was not close.

Maybe the measurement is wrong...wtf do I know about football?

Well the target says 100 yards, so I would assume a competent range officer would not have you shooting from further. And, just because the four other shooters were worse, does not make you "good". It just means you were best of a bad lot. Sorry.
    I would do it, but where? Not aware of any ranges open to non-members within two hours of my locale. Remember, please that I did have some training in my younger days, and at ranges considerably more distant than a football field.

Blah blah "I don't put my under title where my mouth is" blah blah

If you're soooo much better, give me odds...I'll take the shot lying down, you take it standing up.
  • You find a place within reasonable distance from the GTA and you're on, at the stakes mentioned. We use the same weapon, we fire from whatever position we choose.

Never said you did not do well for a first timer, just said that your result was terrible. I would expect a first timer to be terrible.

Also never said I was "soooo much better" than you, just that I have had training. Always best to avoid charges of sandbagging . . .
  • So, how often you been practicing SINCE that target?
    So, how often you been practicing SINCE that target?

Small talk being made here to take attention away from the possible wager being offered.
  • I've gone skeet shooting a couple times, but GW won a new .22 in a deer hunting contest...I'd like to shoot it, if that works for you.

Don't you know someone who lives in the country? We don't need to get super-uppity about this. I could go this weekend.
  • A .22? Or a .223? Bit of a difference.

I have a cousin in Orillia, but Bfillmaff might be able to help me out. If he's at Bill's game this Friday I will talk to him.

Not getting uppity, just trying to gauge how much practice you have had since that target was put out of it's misery.

For the record, I have not fired a weapon in 30 years, but would be willing to compete straight up at any distance out to 200 yds, provided we are using similar types of ammo. and weapons.

In other words if you are firing a bolt action .22, I do not want to be shooting a .308 Winchester.

Sound fair? Stakes would be as previously mentioned?
  • Guns are fun in the right place. Please both of you choose the right place.

th_MynewfriendtheM24SAWatwork.mp4
  • #carefulfortheuzis

milo, you may be getting hustled
    Remember, please that I did have some training in my younger days, and at ranges considerably more distant than a football field.

Milo wrote: »
    For the record, I have not fired a weapon in 30 years, but would be willing to compete straight up at any distance out to 200 yds, provided we are using similar types of ammo. and weapons.

In other words if you are firing a bolt action .22, I do not want to be shooting a .308 Winchester.

Sound fair? Stakes would be as previously mentioned?

Back tracking? ;)

I will get you more info than you could possibly want about the gun when GW gets home.

Rules to follow?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    #carefulfortheuzis

milo, you may be getting hustled

Nahh, if I was hustling him I'd put money on it.
    I'd bet my under-title and signature that I could write more legibly while peeing standing up.