World Cup 2014

world cup baby!

always a good time. i'm in a pool at work. $5 winner take all. the pot is around $100 so not too bad.

since it's in brazil i think i have to say they're the favourites. i'm always cheering for italy also.

i'd like to see argentina do well also even though i don't really like messi.

germany is another team that i like to cheer for.

who's going to win it all this time around? there's a couple tough brackets out there so it will be fun to watch!

Comments

• Soccer is boring. If you think it is exciting and insist on calling it football, well I can tell you at least Canadians had enough intelligence not to call their favourite sport, "stick puck".
  • Before you finish off your pool, remember . . . NO Euro nation has EVER won the trophy when a South American country is hosting.

Aregentina . . . but if any Euro country is going to break the jinx, I hope it's the Dutch.

Oranje boeven . . .
  • moose wrote: »
    Soccer is boring. If you think it is exciting and insist on calling it football, well I can tell you at least Canadians had enough intelligence not to call their favourite sport, "stick puck".

i understand that it can be boring to watch. i don't watch soccer normally, but i enjoy the world cup for sure.

btw, hockey is not a sport. it's organized fighting. that's right, i said it.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Before you finish off your pool, remember . . . NO Euro nation has EVER won the trophy when a South American country is hosting.

Aregentina . . . but if any Euro country is going to break the jinx, I hope it's the Dutch.

Oranje boeven . . .

i like the netherlands. they usually have a good team.

argentina has a very good chance to win it all.
  • Go ENGLAND!
  • Canadians talking about football???:D

I'm cheering for Germany and Argentina!

What are the best places to watch the matches in Mississauga as well as Waterloo/Kw area?

I've been searching for good places to go to watch the matches.
    Soccer is boring. If you think it is exciting and insist on calling it football, well I can tell you at least Canadians had enough intelligence not to call their favourite sport, "stick puck".

It is called football since its played by the foot and unlike American Football which is played using your hands 99% of the time and stops every minute is the boring sport. I went to watch an American Football match here and all i got was a sun burn and hearing the ref whistle.
  • Lets go Camerooooooon!
  • Lets all keep an eye on the third games for each country, as that is where some "interesting" results are likely to occur.

Who wants to play, "Spot the FIX"?
  • trigs wrote: »

btw, hockey is not a sport. it's organized fighting. that's right, i said it.

True but soccer is organized acting with oscars going for best whining, best injury faking and most idiotic goal celebration.
  • sn1perb0y wrote: »
    It is called football since its played by the foot and unlike American Football which is played using your hands 99% of the time and stops every minute is the boring sport. I went to watch an American Football match here and all i got was a sun burn and hearing the ref whistle.

Not true. You can use any part of your body but the arms unless it is accidental, and then the acting comes into play, see above.

In real football, the ball is put into play to start every quarter with a kick. Possession is usually also transferred through a kick. The ball is generally transferred between the players via the hands so by 'football' theory it should be called handball but then what would we call handball.

Football stops every minute because they actually keep track of the clock, unlike soccer, which has imaginary injury time which is made up by the refs and no-one knows but the refs, and can be extended or shortened depending on how much the refs have been paid to fix the game.

Nothing like a game which for some reason has a clock but is not used and has an approximate end time.
    Football stops every minute because because the "athletes" can only run for ten seconds at a time and can only play 13 games a year max, unlike soccer, which has imaginary injury time which is made up by the refs and no-one knows but the refs, and can be extended or shortened depending on how much the refs have been paid to fix the game.

sorry, but i had to FYP a little.
  • Ok but the game fixing part was right tho...
  • World Cup: lame excuse for morons to drive up and down the street honking their horn and waving flags.
  • Could call it kill the poor...ball?
  • Argentina vs Germany final. Argentina for the win.
  • that is a distinct possibility. I like Argentina to take it, as well.
  • payperview wrote: »
    Argentina vs Germany final. Argentina for the win.

I like the way you think, but I will take Germany.
  • brazil takes the opener. reymar (who is one of my three picks for goal scorers) got two in game one!

spain - netherlands should be a good game today. i chose them both to make it through the first round so a tie would be nice ;)

i chose mexico too so hopefully they take it down against cameroon.

as far as chile and australia go, i hope there are a lot of red cards and suspensions >:D
  • yesterday, one of my coworkers also in the world cup pool with me came to the best realization. the winner not only wins the whole pot, but gets bragging rights for four years! lol
  • If the standard of refereeing in the first three games is indicative of the tournament as a whole, then whomever took Cameroon in your pool might get lucky . . . absolutely BRUTAL.

A few howlers in the Brazil game that REALLY screwed over Croatia, who played exceptionally well.

Mexico gets two goals disallowed that were NEVER offside. fortunately no harm done.

The Spanish benefit from the softest of penalties and some flagrant diving, only to see the Dutch stomp a mudhole in their chances in the second half.
  • Milo wrote: »

The Spanish benefit from the softest of penalties and some flagrant diving,

So ridiculous. Notice which jersey this guy has on.

6d2100d779e997e21062485030c8f7a9.gif?1402691096
  • Never said the Dutch were 100% innocent, but if that is the best you've got, I am content. Give it up.
  • More play by play accounts from the Guardian. Sorry I couldn't find more video.

"15 min: The charmless Nigel De Jong picks up where he left off in 2010 and flattens Busquets – I know, I know – with a preposterous elbow to the chest. What's this guy's problem? I suppose it could have been worse given his history, but he didn't even bother looking at the ball, he only had villainy on the mind. Surprisingly he escapes without a booking."

"PENALTY TO SPAIN

25 min: Diego Costa, of all people, wins a penalty for Spain! It was as clear as they come, so for once there's no controversy, which hasn't been the case so far in this tournament. Costa was released on the left of the Holland area by a gorgeous pass from Xavi. He was in a similar position to his earlier chance and again he tried to duck inside - and this time he was caught by a trailing leg from De Vrij."

Milo, you can be as biased as you want but I'll be here to call bullshit.
  • Except that the replay CLEARLY shows Costa initiating the contact, by stepping on de Vrij's ankle.

So maybe try picking more sources than just the one that agrees with you.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnyPqr9EVRM

As you can see in this brief clip, Costa steps BACK to make contact and then goes to ground.

Not that I am calling bullshit or anything.
  • diego-costa-sells-penalty-against-nehterlands.gif?w=1000

CLEARLY?

Amazing how he can initiate contact with a foot that is behind him while looking at a ball in front of him. What a magician.

Accept the win but knock off being so delusional about how perfect Holland is and what diving puss bags the defending champions are...
  • Never said they were perfect . . . but they are hardly a team that relies on "force to disguise a lack of skill".

and yes, "clearly". Your clip shows it even better than mine, so thanks for making my point.

de Vrij is sliding past, de Costa initiates contact in order to draw the Penalty call. Please notice the pause before he lifts his feet and collapses to the pitch. Maybe not a "dive", but definitely a flop. Sort of like their effort today.
  • Could we open a different World Cup thread for those that actually watch it with an open mind and leave this thread for the myopic rantings of Milo?
  • Could we open a different World Cup thread for those that actually watch it with an open mind and leave this thread for the myopic rantings of Milo?

Habs fan talking about "open minds" . . . LOL.