Anyone watching the big jump today ....

Comments

• JohnnieH wrote: »
    The guy is jumping out of a balloon at 4 times the height a jumbo jet flys. What's not to find interesting?

I need to read up on this some more. Love to know how's he's getting around the pressure and temperature changes while descending so quickly from the Stratosphere to the Troposphere.

sorry, i was just interested in the specifics of why you are interested. that is, technology reasons, risk of death reasons, you just like watching people falling out of the sky for strange/sick/fetish reasons, etc.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    bought some Apple today at $630....

You really think it has much upside? RIM fwiw..
  • compuease wrote: »
    You really think it has much upside? RIM fwiw..

watch it, you may get banned for derailing this thread...its pulled back quite a bit from its high over the last month. iPhone 5 sales seem to be going well and maybe an ipad mini on the horizon. I will watch how it does over the next two quarters. Don't expect too much from the quarterly results on Oct. 25th. I'm happy with the current P/E of 15.
  • trigs wrote: »
    sorry, i was just interested in the specifics of why you are interested. that is, technology reasons, risk of death reasons, you just like watching people falling out of the sky for strange/sick/fetish reasons, etc.

I'm an aviation geek, that's why.
    I'm an aviation geek, that's why.

glad you didn't choose sick fetish.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    watch it, you may get banned for derailing this thread...its pulled back quite a bit from its high over the last month. iPhone 5 sales seem to be going well and maybe an ipad mini on the horizon. I will watch how it does over the next two quarters. Don't expect too much from the quarterly results on Oct. 25th. I'm happy with the current P/E of 15.

I heard something in the news recently about a labour dispute at the company that produces the I5. Can't remember the specifics at the moment.

To take us back on topic, indeed the jump will be interesting to watch. Johnnie, I never thought of the pressure changes and temp changes but wouldn't that be addressed by the space suit he's wearing?
    The guy is jumping out of a balloon at 4 times the height a jumbo jet flys. What's not to find interesting?

I need to read up on this some more. Love to know how's he's getting around the pressure and temperature changes while descending so quickly from the Stratosphere to the Troposphere.

Suit looks fairly close to what an astronaut or pilot would wear. When I say pilot, I am thinking of the guys who flew the SR-71s. Doubt either will present much of an issue on the drop. Curious as to what kind of G-force the chutes will generate. I am assuming there will be more than one, but have not looked into it at all.
  • Going to try again today!

http://cbc.sh/ynHVENO
  • Thanks for the reminder . . . 40 minutes to launch, so I would guess about 4:00 p.m. our time he'll be stepping out.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Good link to watch it live.

Red Bull Stratos - YouTube

If you don't want to destroy your Internet data, its also on SportsNet
  • We have liftoff .....
  • It's on TV, ch 44 on Cogeco, SNO.
  • He's is ascending into the sky!

I'll admit it, I'm totally captivated by this!
  • Watching it now.

Is there a delay in tape or anything incase he just goes up in a ball of flames?
  • rather, comes DOWN in a ball of flames
  • I think there is a delay. During the capsule check they are doing, he gave the altimeter reading as 13,700 ft, while the altimeter showed 14,000+ . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    I think there is a delay. During the capsule check they are doing, he gave the altimeter reading as 13,700 ft, while the altimeter showed 14,000+ . . .

Quite possible, but remember he's reading the altitude above sea level where the altimeter reading will vary as the pressure changes during ascent.
  • D'OH . . . they even mentioned the difference between altitude above ground vs. altitude above sea level. Thanks Johnnie.
  • So he jumps at what 100,000 ft?
  • he dead yet?
  • Dead Money wrote: »
    So he jumps at what 100,000 ft?

Could be between 120-130K, depends where the balloon stops.
    Could be between 120-130K, depends where the balloon stops.
    Lol, so give the record to the balloon.
  • I want the lens on the tracking camera. :)
  • soon . . . very soon . . .
  • Balloon looks like it going to explode!
    Balloon looks like it going to explode!

It will eventually.
  • Anyone see any ufo's yet?:D
    Balloon looks like it going to explode!
    Hobbes wrote: »
    It will eventually.

is it strange that i'm more interested in watching that?
  • it's a beauty.

128,000+ ft . . . wow.

Kittinger keeps the freefall record, though . . .