Anyone watching the big jump today ....

Dude is jumping from 120,000 ft and will break the sound barrier on his way down. :D

Live Broadcast | Red Bull Stratos

Comments

• if he dies, i'll watch the replays.
  • I assume his chute is on auto-release in case he passes out.
  • moose wrote: »
    I assume his chute is on auto-release in case he passes out.

booooring.

just like the tight rope walker across the falls who had a safety harness. if there's no risk, what am i watching for?

hey everyone, i'm going to do a death defying car jump over the grand canyon. however, my car will be made of pillow cushions, the grand canyon will be filled with feathers, and the car will be attached to a crane. i'll probably have a better chance of dying in a car while driving to the stunt.
  • Are you kidding ? How can you call a jump from 120,000ft boring ? No one has ever done this and only three people have ever jumper from 90,000 ft+ and lived to tell about it.

The amount of people that have been involved in this endeavour is over 100. New technologies have had to be invented, not to mention all the testing, etc...

I would suggest reading about the mission and every thing involved before dismissing this incredible achievement.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Are you kidding ? How can you call a jump from 120,000ft boring ? No one has ever done this and only three people have ever jumper from 90,000 ft+ and lived to tell about it.

The amount of people that have been involved in this endeavour is over 100. New technologies have had to be invented, not to mention all the testing, etc...

I would suggest reading about the mission and every thing involved before dismissing this incredible achievement.

ya +1 to this, trigs you suck

this is going to be so sick!!!

:laugh:
  • trigs wrote: »
    booooring.

just like the tight rope walker across the falls who had a safety harness. if there's no risk, what am i watching for?

hey everyone, i'm going to do a death defying car jump over the grand canyon. however, my car will be made of pillow cushions, the grand canyon will be filled with feathers, and the car will be attached to a crane. i'll probably have a better chance of dying in a car while driving to the stunt.

Umm really?

He's probably going to break the sound barrier.

There's still a lot of risk. Hell he could be dead before his chute opens if his suit gets a tear (boiling blood)
  • I thought it got delayed due to winds?

Cancel that. He's been cleared.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Umm really?

He's probably going to break the sound barrier.

There's still a lot of risk. Hell he could be dead before his chute opens if his suit gets a tear (boiling blood)

okay, that sounds interesting. if they find a corpse in his suit when he lands i'll apologize.
  • costanza wrote: »
    ya +1 to this, trigs you suck

this is going to be so sick!!!

:laugh:

are you seriously just going to insult me in every post you make now? wtf did i do to you guy?
    Are you kidding ? How can you call a jump from 120,000ft boring ? No one has ever done this and only three people have ever jumper from 90,000 ft+ and lived to tell about it.

i can honestly call it boring because i can't see the actual footage of it being interesting to watch. i mean, he's just falling. that's it. i'm aware of the craziness of the jump and i never said it wasn't significant in that we're able to do it. i just don't think it would be interesting or fun to watch, that's all. now give me an article about all the crazy technology and testing and i'll read that and find it interesting for sure.

i do have to say that i'm assuming this event is being hyped up because it is a big risk of death, not because it's showcasing new technologies. if i'm wrong on this matter then i'm sorry. however, i highly doubt people would be all excited to see this if there was absolutely zero risk involved - say, for example, they were throwing a dummy out instead.
  • This is about human achievement, pushing the limits of what we can do.
    This is about human achievement, pushing the limits of what we can do.

i agree with this but i think you might be missing my point.
  • In before JaH posts something stock related...
  • just out of curiousity, does anyone know how long the fall will take?
    just out of curiousity, does anyone know how long the fall will take?

Today's launch cancelled due to high winds.

I believe I read that the free fall with be around 4 minutes.
    Today's launch cancelled due to high winds.

I believe I read that the free fall with be around 4 minutes.

really? only 4 minutes? totally thought it'd be longer than that. guess he will be moving pretty fast though lol
  • He'll actually probably slow down significantly as he gets closer to Earth. I think the only way he was going to reach the speed quoted was due to the thin atmosphere at that altitude.

Once the force of friction of the air on his body, or suit in this case kicks in he'll reach a critical speed that won't increase.
  • is this online?
  • Is that a serious question or sarcasm? I see no smiley.
    really? only 4 minutes? totally thought it'd be longer than that. guess he will be moving pretty fast though lol

Ya he'll be on the ground in 10 minutes. Sooner if the chute does not open. :D
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    is this online?

Home | Red Bull Stratos
  • Is that a serious question or sarcasm? I see no smiley.

fk you trigs
  • Cancelled . . .
  • is that a serious question or sarcasm? I see no smiley.

i have a life i cant read every post on here get a clue !@#$~#@$%@#$ u trigs
  • I find this fascinating. (The jump, not the troll mongering).
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I find this fascinating. (The jump, not the troll mongering).

may i ask why? (in reference to the jump that is)
  • is rescheduled for when?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    is rescheduled for when?

Thursday
  • moose wrote: »
    In before JaH posts something stock related...

bought some Apple today at $630....
    may i ask why? (in reference to the jump that is)

The guy is jumping out of a balloon at 4 times the height a jumbo jet flys. What's not to find interesting?

I need to read up on this some more. Love to know how's he's getting around the pressure and temperature changes while descending so quickly from the Stratosphere to the Troposphere.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    The guy is jumping out of a balloon at 4 times the height a jumbo jet flys. What's not to find interesting?

I need to read up on this some more. Love to know how's he's getting around the pressure and temperature changes while descending so quickly from the Stratosphere to the Troposphere.

Nevermind descent, he's just falling ( ;) fk you trigs).

But seriously I find it as much or more amazing how he is taking a balloon up to those heights?