BBQs: Propane, Natural Gas or Charcoal?

I'm in the market for a new BBQ. We're just a family of 3 (one kid) so I don't need some huge monstrosity. My budget is <$500. The old one was propane, but I'll look into other types also.

Which type/brand do you guys prefer? I've never used charcoal before.

Is it a pain in the ass to work with?

How much does it cost to install a gas line for Natural Gas?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• I've always just had propane but am also in the market for a new BBQ (btw they are super cheap down here) and was considering (haven't really researched anything yet) an old-style charcoal grill. My gf said they are a pain in the ass to clean, etc. but I have no clue.

Honestly, propane has never given me a problem...I just like to change things up once in a while.

If I had your budget of >$500, I'd prolly go for this:

World's Most Expensive Barbeque Grill is 24 carat Gold | BBQ and Bourbon : BBQ and Bourbon

Aren't typos fun?

Some cool looking shit here:

http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrills/tp/aatp062604a.htm

You just got me thinking about this...found this that I just started reading:

http://voices.yahoo.com/charcoal-vs-propane-which-grill-best-379429.html

http://voices.yahoo.com/advantages-charcoal-grill-over-gas-grill-333192.html?cat=6

Guess I'll get propane again, charcoal sounds like a bit of a pain in the ass (heating time, clean-up).

Now checking this (looks like I'll go buy a BBQ today):

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/gas-grills.htm
  • Charcoal is a pain in the ass. Takes too long to get to the 'white coal' state which is great for cooking, then if you're a fire nit like me you don't like to just let it sit there hot when you're done with it.

Gas is awesome if you're house is already set up for it. Otherwise you have to get a gas tech in to fit the pipe outside where you want it. It's really nice not having to worry about whether your tank is going to last..... just one more time.

Propane is the best in my opinion. Very popular, thus many choices, decent prices. I've always found bbq's die in a handful of years anyway regardless of how much you spend (unless you go batshit crazy and get up into the thousands).

Sadly, and regretfully I'd suggest checking out Can Tire John. They've got lots of sales on right now with a decent selection. We got a Thermos bbq there about three years ago for around $200 or something. I'm going to replace the burners this year, but other than that it's been good.
  • charcoal is a pain, but the flavour you get with it is awesome. still not worth the work imho.

pretty much everything wildbill said is good advice.

i'm looking for a BBQ for the new house. it's obviously a necessity ;)
    from what i've heard and read, there's no real difference between most BBQs priced between $300-$500 as far as general quality and durability. pretty much you're just paying for extra bells and whistles if you want/need them.

i'm personally looking for a propane one with one side burner. nothing fancy but it's all the gf and i need. probably will spend somewhere around $300-$350 on it. there are lots of sales on right now. if you have a trade in old BBQ, Lowes had some really nice ones that they'll drop in price for a trade.
  • Anyone know the difference regarding infrared grills? Like this:

RED 4-Burner Stainless Steel Infrared Gas Grill-463250811 at The Home Depot

Just read this:

http://bbq.about.com/od/grillinghelp/a/aa031508a.htm

Doesn't sound like something I'd really need so I'll likely pick up a $199 grill at Home Depot.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Anyone know the difference regarding infrared grills? Like this:

I'm pretty sure my buddy has one of these on part of his several thousand dollar massive bbq. It's called the 'red zone' and is used for really, really quickly searing whatever you're cooking. Do not multitask when you are using it, you will regret it and have to wait a while to eat as you head back to the butcher/grocery store.
    Anyone know the difference regarding infrared grills? Like this:

Just read this:

Infrared - Hotter and faster seems to be the future of grilling

Doesn't sound like something I'd really need so I'll likely pick up a $199 grill at Home Depot.

i have a friend who designs the infrared ones. he swears they are the shit. i have no experience though.
  • Maybe it's worth the extra $100...looks like a really good bbq for the money. Of course, no available in stores around me so would have to order online which sucks cuz now you have me wanting to grill a thick steak
    cuz now you have me wanting to grill a thick steak

I know what you mean. Thanks Johnnie! Now you've got me wondering what i could bbq for breakfast! And lunch!
  • Hey Johnnie,
    I have 2 basic BBQ's plumbed into my Gas here at the house.
    I do the Cafe BBQ's on Propane.

There's no contest imo, go with Gas, I prefer cooking with the gas, no running around with tanks etc, in the long run, you'll love it.

Stay away from the cheaper knock off BBQ's at Cdn Tire etc, and you'll be golden with Gas.

D
  • p.s. the Cafe BBQ is a Master Chef from Cdn Tire, its a complete piece of shit...it came brand new and free...and wasn't worth it.

We are fortunate to have Weber right here in town...T/A Appliances (can be pricey) but, gives you good things to compare
  • Pretty much what wolf said. When I moved out here I had gas line run for like 150ish I think, maybe less. Depends mainly on length he has to run.

Start at TA appliances. They have great bbqs there. DEF do not go to can tire and get their weekly special. My neighbour did that a few months after I did and his is rusted thru already. Mine is in top shape. Also, get a cover for it, and listen to what they say about cleaning and oiling the grilles and it will last u plenty of years.

I think I spent right around 500 on mine. It has three burners, but no stovetop burner on the side like some have. Infrared will prob be outside ur price range. My old man has it and its pretty slick tho if u know how to use it

Most bbqs there have option for either propane or gas, so its ur choice, but go gas imo. Way less hassle
  • I like propane. Get 2 tanks, and you never have to worry about running out. Natural gas has it's plusses if you can get the hook up done cheaply enough, but then your BBQ is static. Lowes has some decent sales right now. My crrent grill is on sale there for <$400.00. I have had this one for three years now and love it. Anything you buy for $150.00 or less is going to rot within a couple years unless you are fanatical about cleaning and mainetenace. Even then, you ar 50/50 to be replacing parts. Better to spend a little to get quality is probably the MOST important advice you will get in this thread. Everything else, beyond avoiding coal, is personal taste.
  • Every site I look on this gets 5 stars with tonnes of reviews, think I'll go check it out if I can find it in stock somewhere:

Weber Q 320 2-Burner Electronic Ignition Gas Grill - Walmart.com
    Every site I look on this gets 5 stars with tonnes of reviews, think I'll go check it out if I can find it in stock somewhere:

Weber Q 320 2-Burner Electronic Ignition Gas Grill - Walmart.com

Bit of a small working space don't you think? Nice for portability if you need it though.
  • Bit of a small working space don't you think? Nice for portability if you need it though.

perhaps, I'd have to see it but 99% of the time I am just grilling for myself +/- my gf so it would probably suffice -- I usually just used 1/2 the grilling space of my old BBQ in Alberta...the more I look at it that Charbroil Infrared looks very sweet for the price, but it isn't even available to order online right now as far as I can tell...going to call Home Depot and see what's up
  • There's a shop in Shakesphere that sells these. I'll going to take a look.

Holland Grills
  • They all look pretty sharp John. Do they fit into your budget of $500 though?

Sorry, just noticed your budget said ">$500".
  • Use airmiles if you collect those. Zehrs also has nice stainless steel grills if you collect pc points (or even if you don't). My gas line cost about $100 to run from Al the Gas Man. Be aware the natural gas requires a bbq specific to natural gas since the burners are different. Gas avoids those phone calls from the wife at work 'can't start the bbq because the tank ran out again.'

Or you can have my old propane for free since hobbes never bothers to come over and pick it up. I have the rotisserie and a couple spare tanks.

Def get rotisserie. Rotisserie is the bomb.
  • When I bought this place, my stepson gave me a Weber BBQ as a house warming gift. I got it hooked up to the natural gas within a week, and love it. No tanks, no running low, just turn the valve on and away you go. Much prefer it to propane, but propane is portable. So if you're going natural gas, make sure you either know EXACTLY where you will always want it, or get some expensive flex pipe to move it around.

Charcoal is by far the BEST way to bbq for taste, but its too much a hassle.

Mind you, a buddy of mine ONLY uses wood...and although it takes him forever to cook a Sunday meal, the taste is by far the most delicious you'll ever have. Again, too much work.

Pay the extra few bucks and get a good heavy model with NO viewing window. Too much heat escapes, and useless.
  • They all look pretty sharp John. Do they fit into your budget of $500 though?

Sorry, just noticed your budget said ">$500".

haha...it's under $500, and no they don't.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    When I bought this place, my stepson gave me a Weber BBQ as a house warming gift. I got it hooked up to the natural gas within a week, and love it. No tanks, no running low, just turn the valve on and away you go. Much prefer it to propane, but propane is portable. So if you're going natural gas, make sure you either know EXACTLY where you will always want it, or get some expensive flex pipe to move it around.

Charcoal is by far the BEST way to bbq for taste, but its too much a hassle.

Mind you, a buddy of mine ONLY uses wood...and although it takes him forever to cook a Sunday meal, the taste is by far the most delicious you'll ever have. Again, too much work.

Pay the extra few bucks and get a good heavy model with NO viewing window. Too much heat escapes, and useless.

I plan to keep the old POS, clean it out and use it to smoke my meat or cook with wood.

Keep the info/opinions coming.
  • Fuels:

Charcoal - best taste, biggest pain in the ass.
    Propane - Portability, sometimes you run out (mitigated if you have a second tank).
    Natural Gas - Never runs out, but you better like where you put your grill.

I own a "Commercial" series grill from Char-Broil. I love it. I now have three tanks, so I have few concerns about running out of gas. my cooking surface is approx 24" x 20" with 4 burners. It also has a side burner. It's a big grill for the three of us, but you can almost never have too much grill surface. I had the family over last August long weekend for BBQ and got everything done in two shifts. That was 18 adults, and included chicken, pork and veggies. Love my grill. As stated previous, you can pick mine up at Lowes for less than $400.00 right now.
  • I think I've narrowed it down to a low-end NG BBQ, or a mid-range Propane unit.

We're going to TA this afternoon to check out their selection. Anybody had any negative encounters with them?
  • I've never heard of them, but they seem to only sell Broil King bbq's. My friend has one of the higher end ones withe the full stainless grills. Wow, what a beast. He's had it for years and when you scrub the grill down it looks as good as the day he got it.

Mine with the porcelain coated steel looks like shit every time I look at it and did from 3 months after we got it.

But no I can't comment on the store itself.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I think I've narrowed it down to a low-end NG BBQ, or a mid-range Propane unit.

We're going to TA this afternoon to check out their selection. Anybody had any negative encounters with them?

They know their shit, have been around forever and if you only take the knowledge and information that they give you and buy one somewhere else, you are still ahead of the game.
  • p.s. I can (and have flipped a many including the 2 that are on my deck) change your Propane BBQ over to a Natural Gas one in about 2 minutes. All you'd need is to have your gas line run and buy a new connecting hose. (always an option for your old one to keep as an extra griller but also gas, I have a double connection for my gas line)
  • Wolffhound wrote: »
    p.s. I can (and have flipped a many including the 2 that are on my deck) change your Propane BBQ over to a Natural Gas one in about 2 minutes. All you'd need is to have your gas line run and buy a new connecting hose. (always an option for your old one to keep as an extra griller but also gas, I have a double connection for my gas line)

That is very nice of you to offer, but the burners in the old one are toast. Not worth the money to replace just to have a extra BBQ. Thanks for the offer though!

Like I said, I'm going to empty the guts out of it, get a new grill (since it's rusted to shit), and convert it into a smoker. I've seen this done one a few shows, looks pretty cool and the flavour is supposed to be amazing!
  • Propane and Natural Gas are under different pressures. You might get it to light but it won't burn properly without different orifices, which are larger for NG. You can buy them or do it yourself as below.

Converting a Propane Grill to Natural Gas | Mobile Home Repair

TA sells mostly high end stuff so there won't be any bargains.

Seriously on your way in, check out the Zehr's at Homer Watson and Ottawa. They sell great SS BBQ's at good prices.
  • Funny you mention that Zehrs. We are having breakfast at Cora across the street. We'll scoot over and check them out.
  • moose wrote: »
    Propane and Natural Gas are under different pressures. You might get it to light but it won't burn properly without different orifices, which are larger for NG. You can buy them or do it yourself as below.

Converting a Propane Grill to Natural Gas | Mobile Home Repair

I guess the dozen or so that I've flipped over and the two I've used for 10+ yrs don't work? It takes 2 minutes to open the orifices up ever so slightly and use NG.