Using My One Time

I just got back from San Jose and I loved the area and the job that I interviewed for was just about my dream job. Great pay, hours, location, etc. It would likely be my final destination for a long time. The Bay area is great...ocean, mountains, poker, weather, etc.

So, I am using my one time.

It is between me and 2 Americans for the position. I am the most experienced and qualified but unfortunately with the situation in the US these days being a Canadian may set me back a bit.

Anyhow,

If I get the job I will have some sort of selection process on here and back 5 players low limit players on here in the Sunday Million with 60:40 to the player. This will likely be in March once I get back from vacation since I'm not supposed to hear a decision for 2-3 weeks.

I binked it, so here's the Sunday Million interest list:

1. Hellmuth' s Mole
2. Hobbes
3. DataMn
4. Compuease
5. Moose
6. Reibs
7. djgolfcan
8. Cerberus
9. Wolffhound
10. KWSteve
11. jdAA88
12. Costanza

Comments

• glglglgl!!! ONE TIMEEEEEEEE
  • If you leave, will you still bring your comedic stylings to us here on the forum?

(Oh, good luck too!)
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    glglglgl!!! ONE TIMEEEEEEEE

Thanks. It's tough having it out of my hands. Every other job I've ever applied for they asked me to start the next day. The economy makes things much tougher to move to what I consider a nice area.
  • one time!
  • If you leave, will you still bring your comedic stylings to us here on the forum?

Of course. I joined almost exactly when I moved back to Canada/Toronto after 4 years in the US. This forum has (almost) always been greatly entertaining to me...I will hopefully be living somewhere in the US by April. I obviously think that Canada is a better and more stable country but I enjoy the climate and geography much more in areas of the Western US.
  • gl. gotta change your forum name though if you get it.
  • trigs wrote: »
    gl. gotta change your forum name though if you get it.

too late after 7 years
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Of course. I joined almost exactly when I moved back to Canada/Toronto after 4 years in the US. This forum has (almost) always been greatly entertaining to me...I will hopefully be living somewhere in the US by April. I obviously think that Canada is a better and more stable country but I enjoy the climate and geography much more in areas of the Western US.

I would come with you in a second if it wasn't for the damn wife and kids at home. Also it's safer laughing at Americans from afar.

gl gl gl
  • good luck!
  • I was thinking about moving to California the other day. Its the health insurance that is the deal breaker for me and the clan. Southern California really impressed me. Housing is really affordable, great weather, close to the beach, mountains, etc.

I really hate winter in my old age.
  • trigs wrote: »
    gl. gotta change your forum name though if you get it.

Naaah . . . SJPoker doesn't have the same ring to it. And the non-sequitor value of keeping his current handle makes it a win-win.

Oh, and good luck, GTA, hope it breaks the way you want.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I was thinking about moving to California the other day. Its the health insurance that is the deal breaker for me and the clan. Southern California really impressed me. Housing is really affordable, great weather, close to the beach, mountains, etc.

SoCal is great. San Diego was my first choice but after I visited the Bay Area for 5 days I really love the incredible variety within such a small area: beautiful beaches, mountains, forests, San Fran and some cool small historic towns all within 45 minutes of each other. Of course, if a job came up in SD I would take it, but the economy in the Bay Area hasn't been affected greatly by the recession while it has been greatly affected in the SD area. I've been looking for a decent job in SD for almost a year and nothing has really come up for me. The Bay Area has been sort of insulated from the downturn by all the tech companies in Silicone Valley (fbook, google, etc all make their homes there).

Coronado Island is one of my favourite places within the continental US.
  • I would come with you in a second if it wasn't for the damn wife and kids at home. Also it's safer laughing at Americans from afar.

gl gl gl

I played poker every night I was there. I was chatting with a cute girl playing 15 30 LHE with me and it turned out that she was a dealer there. She was amazed that I was Canadian but spoke English just like the locals...Amazing! Overall, I found the people I met in the Bay Area relatively intelligent and more well-rounded than those in Edmonton, but there always have to be some dumb Americans to round out the field.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I was thinking about moving to California the other day. Its the health insurance that is the deal breaker for me and the clan. Southern California really impressed me. Housing is really affordable, great weather, close to the beach, mountains, etc.

Housing is affordable because of the recession...current housing prices are approximately 1/2 of their 2008 values and should still be going down a bit. The catch is that you have to have a job that you know you will keep or else become one of the 99%ers:)
  • All the jarring aside, I am very interested in your experience here GTA, hope you keep us up to date and GL.:)
  • One time!
  • And what is your "dream job" by the way? Does it rhyme with "born scar"?
    SoCal is great. San Diego was my first choice but after I visited the Bay Area for 5 days I really love the incredible variety within such a small area: beautiful beaches, mountains, forests, San Fran and some cool small historic towns all within 45 minutes of each other. Of course, if a job came up in SD I would take it, but the economy in the Bay Area hasn't been affected greatly by the recession while it has been greatly affected in the SD area. I've been looking for a decent job in SD for almost a year and nothing has really come up for me. The Bay Area has been sort of insulated from the downturn by all the tech companies in Silicone Valley (fbook, google, etc all make their homes there).

Coronado Island is one of my favourite places within the continental US.

All the best!

We traveled around the US a fair bit when I was working all over there. I think San Diego was our top pick. We didn't know it was going to be so nice there. You probably saved me some time dreaming about work anyway...at first we were driving around looking for this "La Hoya" to have dinner and all we could see was this La Jolla.
    /facepalm

(Wish us luck in Santiago)
  • RUNGOOD, ONE TIME !!

Its not often we find a perfect situation, one that we know will suit us to a tee. Here's hoping you find it.
  • vamoooo glgl
  • All the best! Finding a dream is a wonderful thing. Finding it on the west coast is even better. Made the drive on a near yearly basis with the family from Vancouver to L.A. Beautiful for every single mile.
  • Thanks everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdizL4on-Rc

I got the job starting March 30 and am so excited to move to The Bay Area...it seems like a perfect place for me after all this moving around I've been doing over the past 5-6 years.

Anyone that wants a Sunday Million BI let me know ITT and I will select 5 players for the 60:40 stated deal to play in March when I am back from vacation.

One time:)
    Anyone that wants a Sunday Million BI let me know ITT and I will select 5 players for the 60:40 stated deal to play in March when I am back from vacation.

Oooh yes please. One time.

And super duper, happy happy fun time congratulations, on your one time awesome successfulnesses.
  • Gratz.

Sometimes Karma is verry verry good.

<- SM BI for this blind squirrel. :D
  • Indeed. Nicely done GTA. Obviously your Canadian politeness, charming nature and peaceful demeanor won them over. Congrats Sir.
  • Nice - Congratz!!

I'd humbly like to put my name in the running for the BI too.
  • Congrats GTA, please don't change your name (or your game), it just wouldn't be you...
    Sounds like a fantastic opportunity from both a personal and business perspective.. Go with it and show those Americans how it's really done. :)

I spent 6 weeks in the San Jose area in 79 or 80 during my IBM days and enjoyed it immensely. My family (wife and 3 kids all under 6) came with me and it was quite the experience as my wife had never really travelled outside of Ontario up to that point.

Would you consider starting a blog (either here or linked to here) so that we could all share in your quest? Would be an interesting read, especially with your flair for creative writing...

As for the Million, since I have never played it, I am probably not the perfect candidate however am willing to give it my best effort and since I would likely be the least experienced at large BI online tournaments, ie biggest I have played is $20. My biggest online win is like $1200. on a FT deep stack a year ago.
    Perhaps beginners luck for an ol mod? lol, at least the regs wouldn't have a book on me..:)