Dead Pool III TEAMS . . .

Comments

• Yep, I got way more than wetts. I guess I am old too.
  • I figured it was Glen Campbell, former premier of BC and he figured the binge drinking would get him this year.

Also, sadly, I recognized several of the names Milo listed off w/o actually knowing what they'd done off the top of my head. If they're famous enough for a slug like me to recognize their names, the AP will be all over their obits.
  • OK, now that the dust has settled a little bit.

I do think we have to add a "Level of Fame" qualifier next year.

Case in point... One participant has been dead for 5 days but is probably so arcane that their manager has not realized it yet!

<sound of everyone going to check their rosters!>

Al
  • Frederica Sagor Maas dies at 111 - chicagotribune.com

Hadn't checked my list in a few days Al. Thanks for noticing.
  • We really will have to decide on criterion for famedome. This is going to be argued out in perpetuity though and I doubt everyone is going to be happy with any decision at the end of the day.

I could go through each team and probably find at least a few people I've never heard of. I'm sure a number of managers have consulted other dead pool resources for members of their teams and these will no doubt include possibly geographically important names, etc.

This has been the case for each of the DP's that have run for the past two years.

In DPII, we had a notification of a team members death several months after the fact.
  • DataMn wrote: »
    One participant has been dead for 5 days but is probably so arcane that their manager has not realized it yet!

Should be like school. -5%/day :D
  • In WildBill's defence, I didn't notice that the obit wasn't actually published until yesterday.

• I could go through each team and probably find at least a few people I've never heard of.

That's the whole point of research. We are trying to pick up Celebs and other people of fame who may have been forgotten about. This year I took George McGovern as my #2. (Zsa Zsa will always my first love) Since he has left office people have kinda forgotten about him. He doesn't make many political statements or endorsements, so he is left out of the media spotlight. That being said, his long career in the US Senate and the ass kicking he took in the '72 election qualifies him as a DP draftee.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Should be like school. -5%/day :D

I actually agree that there should be a penalty of 5%/month. This would make it in everyones best interest to check their rosters on a regular basis and encourage players to DRAFT REAL CELEBRITIES!!!
  • btw - You may want to change Hobbes' list for Abigail Van Buren to Pauline Phillips. Van Buren is a fictional name that the original "Dear Abby" writer (Phillips) and her daughter share.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    That's the whole point of research. We are trying to pick up Celebs and other people of fame who may have been forgotten about. This year I took George McGovern as my #2. (Zsa Zsa will always my first love) Since he has left office people have kinda forgotten about him. He doesn't make many political statements or endorsements, so he is left out of the media spotlight. That being said, his long career in the US Senate and the ass kicking he took in the '72 election qualifies him as a DP draftee.

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree, and I did the same research as I'm sure everyone else did as well. I guess the question is, how do we come up a conclusive line of notoriety where we declare someone qualified to be a draftee? Furthermore, how do individuals prior to submitting their lists apply these rules with objectivity such that a different manager wouldn't go "Hey, I've never heard of that person!" when they die?

I don't believe it's possible, thus I believe there will always be a grey area in a variety of factors. Time since the individual was a celebrity (as with Fredrica Maas), area of celebrity (does a national team cricket player count? How about world class scrabble player? Chess?), etc.
  • I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree, and I did the same research as I'm sure everyone else did as well. I guess the question is, how do we come up a conclusive line of notoriety where we declare someone qualified to be a draftee? Furthermore, how do individuals prior to submitting their lists apply these rules with objectivity such that a different manager wouldn't go "Hey, I've never heard of that person!" when they die?

I don't believe it's possible, thus I believe there will always be a grey area in a variety of factors. Time since the individual was a celebrity (as with Fredrica Maas), area of celebrity (does a national team cricket player count? How about world class scrabble player? Chess?), etc.

I think if there is a question regarding the status of a certain draftee, it should be up to a vote from the managers. If <50% say that someone is famous 'enough' to be counted in, then said draftee is in.

Again I'll use an example from my list. I drafted (very low and didn't get) 2 of the surviving soldiers from HBO's mini series Band of Brothers. Now they are not 'true' celebs, but they have come to fame in North America, and some parts of the world. They ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING and are 'famous' for it.

Are they famous enough? Let a vote decide, I say!
  • Oh, we still need to add everyone's Pokerstars screen names for payout/transfer purposes if that's the method of payment we are using.

Milo could add this in the post where he indicated the draft order which is easily accessible on the first page of this thread I believe.

wildbill7145 on P*.
  • And I have Herbert Charles Angelo Kuchacevich von Schluderpacheru. Many of the young ones may not know him, but Pink Panther fans would. :D

Herbert Lom - IMDb
  • I know I'm not involved in the pool this year for karmic reasons, but perhaps people can put what each person on their list is famous for when they send in lists for DP4, like what Milo did for several of the names on one of the lists in question (i.e. Ann B Davis - Alice the Maid from Brady Bunch)

Then, if people don't feel that person qualifies as famous, they have a little more information before jumping to the "I don't know who the f*** that is" conclusion. I mean, let's be honest, we all know Alice. In fact, I think Johnnie may know her a little better than the rest of us, if you know what I mean :)
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    I know I'm not involved in the pool this year for karmic reasons, but perhaps people can put what each person on their list is famous for when they send in lists for DP4, like what Milo did for several of the names on one of the lists in question (i.e. Ann B Davis - Alice the Maid from Brady Bunch)

Then, if people don't feel that person qualifies as famous, they have a little more information before jumping to the "I don't know who the f*** that is" conclusion. I mean, let's be honest, we all know Alice. In fact, I think Johnnie may know her a little better than the rest of us, if you know what I mean :)

No I was more a of Florence Henderson kinda guy.
  • Folks, as part of the updated rules suggestions, I posted that after the draft order was set all rosters would be published for scrutiny. This would allow all managers to look over the other rosters and cry "foul" on dubious names prior to the draft taking place.
  • Also, I have added the price drop idea to the rules update thread. I went with a 1 week grace period to claim your winner (based on publication of the death) followed by a 5% drop per week (based on the total value of the player). What this would mean is that, in the case of Ms. Maas (died 5/1/2012 published 9/1/2012) bill would have until 16/1/2012 to make his claim for $5.00. On the 17th, she would be worth $4.75, on the 24th - $4.50, etc.

Thoughts?
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I think if there is a question regarding the status of a certain draftee, it should be up to a vote from the managers. If <50% say that someone is famous 'enough' to be counted in, then said draftee is in.

Again I'll use an example from my list. I drafted (very low and didn't get) 2 of the surviving soldiers from HBO's mini series Band of Brothers. Now they are not 'true' celebs, but they have come to fame in North America, and some parts of the world. They ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING and are 'famous' for it.

Are they famous enough? Let a vote decide, I say!

Actually, Johnnie, those were two that I would question. The Band of Brothers story is what I would deem as famous, rather than the individual "characters" (if you will). They just happened to be in the Unit Ambler wrote about. But the point is moot.
  • Shipped

And anyone who needs help with recognizing names on my list, just let me know what rock you're living under and I'll come visit with some info.
  • Shipped...sweet pick

and sadly my team is going strong....sigh
  • Re: Fredrica Maas

Paid:
    Al
    Comp
    Mole
    TheMill
    JohnnieH.
    Hobbes
    DJ
    Steve
  • I'll ship when I get home tonight.

Shipped.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    What is your screen name on PokerStars ? I'll ship when I get home tonight.

shipped to wildbill7145

• Was just browsing the notable deaths of 2012 and noticed Jan.15th could have been a huge payday for a dead pool master.

• #2 for Bill
  • kwsteve wrote: »

At last, my love has come along
    My lonely days are over
    And life is like a song
    Oh, yeah, at last
    The skies above are blue
    My heart was wrapped up in clovers
    The night I looked at you
    I found a dream that I could speak to
    A dream that I can call my own
    I found a thrill to rest my cheek to